Menu

What exactly are "mom jeans?"

Egads! I hope the high waisted jeans never come back! Or at least not to the point that the mid/low-rise jeans go away. It wasn't until they came into fashion that I could find jeans that actually fit! High rise/long butt jeans make me uncomfortable to the extreme!

(and if you wear your correct size, muffin tops shouldn't be an issue...)

Egads! I hope the high waisted jeans never come back! Or at least not to the point that the mid/low-rise jeans go away. It wasn't until they came into fashion that I could find jeans that actually fit! High rise/long butt jeans make me uncomfortable to the extreme!

:iagree:My body fits a mid-rise (just below the belly button or right at it) so much better than a high rise. If you wear the right size, they do not make a muffin top!

Am I the only one who finds this photo more disturbing than mom jeans?

I agree. Do people really find these women attractive? Those legs are NOT pretty. They look like someone stretched the film. Do they put models in concentration camps now? Why do the ladies on the end look like aliens? This is not a flattering photo of ANY of them.

As far as jeans go, hems and waists will always go up and down. No sense in arguing why one is 'right.'. In a few years, that annoying WNTW duo will be giggling at anyone wearing low-rise jeans because it gives them butt cleavage and makes their legs look stumpy. You KNOW they'll say it. Have they ever admitted that thongs give VPL too . . .just in a different place? That said, I wouldn't mind getting turned in to that show just to restart my wardrobe.

I agree. Do people really find these women attractive? Those legs are NOT pretty. They look like someone stretched the film. Do they put models in concentration camps now? Why do the ladies on the end look like aliens? This is not a flattering photo of ANY of them.

I don't think they're really supposed to be attractive. They are pretty much glorified clothes hangers.

Okay. I can see that. Unfortunately lots and lots and lots of women don't take the time.

Lots of women are buying jeans that are 1-3 sizes too small and then blaming the muffin top on the style of the jeans...rather than just accepting that instead of being a sz 6, they are a sz 10. If they are a size 6 in the mom jeans it is usually because the cuts are very generous with those brands.

Well, high waists are coming back in at the moment. But you have to be fairly fashion forward to get it right - it is on the edge of the new at the moment. But that probably means in a few years they will be more widely seen.

I disagree that there is only mom-jeans or muffin top. People need to take their jeans to a seamstress if they can't get the right fit. Muffin top means they are too small. And there is a middle ground between bad high waist and low rise.

I think they're coming back because of Mad Men. If you notice the dresses on the racks--they sit at the waist now. They're more vintage style, it's everywhere (woot!) and it eventually had to hit the pants, too, so they could translate the vintage look to pants.

That's my theory, anyway. :D

While I'm not a fan of the Mom Jean look (and, really, why is it that only "Moms" get attacked with that phrase?), the muffin-top phenomenon is far worse... Seriously, do people not look at themselves in the mirror before they leave the house? Or do they genuinely think that fat rolls are sexy? :001_huh:

I think that sometimes there is a trade off between far too loose legs (with the right waist size) and far too tight waists (with legs that are just right.) Especially for women who carry weight at the belly. I don't go out with a muffin top but like a lot of women I wish more fits would be readily available. That said, what the heck is possessing people to wear super low rise jeans and cropped tops? Skinny or fat, I don't really want a peep show at the grocery store.

Edited by kijipt

I think they're coming back because of Mad Men. If you notice the dresses on the racks--they sit at the waist now. They're more vintage style, it's everywhere (woot!) and it eventually had to hit the pants, too, so they could translate the vintage look to pants.

That's my theory, anyway. :D

Yes, I think it's Mad Men inspired as well. The little vintage style tops don't look right at all with low-waisted pants, and pencil skirts are in now too. It's a pretty good look for curvy ladies, which is nice.

I disagree that all contemporary, well-fitting, pants leave a muffin top and butt crack. I think that many muffin tops and crack visibility come from buying jeans that are too tight.

I think it takes time and , sometimes, many stores to find jeans that fit well and cover all of the bits without looking frumpy.

:iagree:

I don't think it's an either/or situation. I don't do mom jeans. And I never will. :ack2:

AND

They want to buy the outfit that looks so good on that other person who, likely, has a completely different body type.

:iagree: with this, too.

Lots of women are buying jeans that are 1-3 sizes too small and then blaming the muffin top on the style of the jeans...rather than just accepting that instead of being a sz 6, they are a sz 10. If they are a size 6 in the mom jeans it is usually because the cuts are very generous with those brands.

:iagree: Do I like the size on my clothes? Not so much. But I like that they fit and don't make me lumpy. Actually, I used to be really bad about buying clothes too big...because I'm so worried about the lumpiness. I've gotten better, but it takes a long time in the fitting room, and a heck of a lot of clothes to try. I never discount anything on the rack - I go ahead and try it even if (cut-wise) I think I'll hate it. (color and stuff, I still do, but cut, you never know what it will look like on you) There have actually been some that I changed my mind on, decided were cute...

I think that sometimes there is a trade off between far too loose legs (with the right waist size) and far too tight waists (with legs that are just right.)

:iagree: I have a couple of very cute, very non-mom jeans. My muffin top shows up when I sit down, but not when I am standing. :glare: I would invest in Spanx, but I have no desire to wear that in the summer. I suppose I wouldn't need it as much in the winter since my tops will be bigger then.

:iagree:My body fits a mid-rise (just below the belly button or right at it) so much better than a high rise. If you wear the right size, they do not make a muffin top!

That is the problem right there. If one wears the right size. Lots of people are in denial about what size they wear and what looks good on them.

FTR: I wear mid-rise Levi's. I didn't like hip-huggers in the 70s and don't like low-rise jeans now. I have too much butt to not need a belt if the waistband it too low, and I hate belts. (Probably why I never tuck in a shirt.;))

As far as jeans go, hems and waists will always go up and down. No sense in arguing why one is 'right.'. In a few years, that annoying WNTW duo will be giggling at anyone wearing low-rise jeans because it gives them butt cleavage and makes their legs look stumpy. You KNOW they'll say it. Have they ever admitted that thongs give VPL too . . .just in a different place? That said, I wouldn't mind getting turned in to that show just to restart my wardrobe.

That's exactly what came to mind - photos of the prisoners in the concentration camps. I'm not comparing the two - it's just what came to mind. They look emaciated. The one on the left looks dressed as a skeleton, which is about how she appears. And the one in the shorts suit looks about the same. I don't see any beauty in any of it. Clearly I've not looked at fashion magazines lately, but now I know what all the talk is about how models need to meet a minimum BMI in some agencies. Really sad.

I actually like the outfit on the right. :tongue_smilie: Then again, I like the funky 80's styles of clothing, which this reminds me of. The hair no, but the clothes were fun!

1. Jeans (and most pants in general) generally require some sort of tailoring to fit your body properly. You should not consider the clothing on the rack 'all done and ready to wear' but rather 'mostly fitting me and I have to get it hemmed/taken in in 1-2 areas'. Seriously - most women don't do this and if they would it would make a HUGE difference in how their clothes fit.

You must associate with an entirely different set of persons than I do if taking every pair of pants to a seamstress for an additional $20 min a pair is an option.

2. Muffin Top is often bloating more than anything (though it can also be untoned abdominal muscles). Two words: SHAPE WEAR. THey make great tummy-shapers that you pull on (google 'maidenform waist nipper') and it can really help with this. Other women prefer shaping camis to help suck things in. (As an aside, I know quite a few people who found cutting out wheat REALLY helped with their stomach shape - they lost a lot of bloat and called it 'wheat belly' and find when they eat lots of pasta/bread again they bloat back in specifically that area, they said it has to do with insulin-responses to the flour leading to the abdominal weight gain vs. thigh/hip weight gain?)

Except when it is genetic fat distribution. Even my dd15 has serious muffin top because she has fat deposition in her high hip/upper abdominal area. Really. It has nothing to do with bloat.

3. Mom Jeans - high waisted/flat butt/light stonewash is completely frumpy. At least get a dark wash of jeans - if nothing else. And avoid tapered legs.

/

Unfortunately, that is not true. It has everything to do with cut and fit. Different bodies are proportioned differently. If one is proportioned with a higher than average fat deposition above the waist band, wherever that happens to be, then a muffin top will result. Going to a bigger size results in a baggy fit in the hips and thighs. Is that more flattering than a muffin top? Pear shapes and apple shapes need different cuts. You can't insist that an apple shape will fit a pair of jeans designed for a pear shape if only a big enough size is bought.

Unfortunately, that is not true. It has everything to do with cut and fit. Different bodies are proportioned differently. If one is proportioned with a higher than average fat deposition above the waist band, wherever that happens to be, then a muffin top will result. Going to a bigger size results in a baggy fit in the hips and thighs. Is that more flattering than a muffin top? Pear shapes and apple shapes need different cuts. You can't insist that an apple shape will fit a pair of jeans designed for a pear shape if only a big enough size is bought.

Than this is why tailoring of jeans is essential if your body is any variation of the model standard (which 99% of women are!). Just like with shirts, buy to fit your *largest* body part well and then get the rest tailored. For pear shapes this usually means getting the waist taken in. For apple shapes this can mean getting the legs taken in to not be so baggy.

Interesting article. I enjoyed reading it and found it informative. I've also been thinking a bunch about mom jeans and what to wear with triple digit heat this coming weekend.

One interesting thing I noted, these ladies were young, in their early 30s. At some point, we do get old and our bodies know it. At 50 now, I'm starting to see some of my peers still trying to dress like they are 20. VERY few of them can pull it off figure wise any more. It looks silly. The really classy looking ladies I know are wearing jeans that cost over $100/pair (which I can't afford). My low rise and rock star jeans pull at my estrogen patch by the way. (oh the perils of midlife :D)So, how does a 50 something look nice and not "mommed" or worse "grannie"?

Interesting article. I enjoyed reading it and found it informative. I've also been thinking a bunch about mom jeans and what to wear with triple digit heat this coming weekend.

One interesting thing I noted, these ladies were young, in their early 30s. At some point, we do get old and our bodies know it. At 50 now, I'm starting to see some of my peers still trying to dress like they are 20. VERY few of them can pull it off figure wise any more. It looks silly. The really classy looking ladies I know are wearing jeans that cost over $100/pair (which I can't afford). My low rise and rock star jeans pull at my estrogen patch by the way. (oh the perils of midlife :D)So, how does a 50 something look nice and not "mommed" or worse "grannie"?

Here is her subsequent blog post where she revamped her 50-something year old mom's jeans :). http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2009/03/new-studies-prove-that-replacing-mom.html

And here is her summary of 'jean guidelines': http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/02/jeans.html

I thought this IS the definition of high-rise jeans. :confused:

:iagree: I have a couple of very cute, very non-mom jeans. My muffin top shows up when I sit down, but not when I am standing. :glare: I would invest in Spanx, but I have no desire to wear that in the summer. I suppose I wouldn't need it as much in the winter since my tops will be bigger then.

I bought a tank at Target; it's the Assets by Sara Blakely line (cheaper Spanx). It's a "cool" fabric, and I find it comfy enough to wear in the summer here, although I've never worn it to an event where I was outside for hours.

Wendi

High Rise jeans go considerably above my belly button. I have old ones, that now fit due to weight loss, and I was shocked at high they went. The middle rise are perfect on me. The low are just TOO low.... and rather uncomfortable, the one time I tried them on.

Here is her subsequent blog post where she revamped her 50-something year old mom's jeans :). http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2009/03/new-studies-prove-that-replacing-mom.html

And here is her summary of 'jean guidelines': http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/02/jeans.html

Thank you so much for sharing this. I think she is right on with her suggestions and advice.

No, at or below belly button is mid-rise. High rise is 1-2" above the belly button. For short waisted people like me, high rise pants ala late 80's-early 90s were a disaster because they hit right below the bOOks. :tongue_smilie:

Mom Jeans - high waisted/flat butt/light stonewash is completely frumpy. At least get a dark wash of jeans - if nothing else. And avoid tapered legs.

:iagree: Mom jeans = major frumpy bordering on matronly. Or as my friend says, "Start dressing like that and you're one step away from a sweatshirt with kittens on it." :lol: Burn the mom jeans!

:iagree: Now that I know what mom jeans are, I realize I have a choice between muffin top or mom or grandmom jeans. Ah well...;) I figured I was wearing mom jeans, just wasn't sure what they were exactly! But I have some other jeans that are not mom jeans and they give me muffin top. I get to choose my fashion poison every morning!

No way could I afford tailoring for jeans because it would involve taking in everything below the belly button--hips, butt, legs. Might as well get the pants made from scratch. I can't get that done for the $ in our budget for clothing. I solve the problem as best I can by wearing tunic length shirts as often as possible--out of nonknit fabrics so they don't cling.

I don't know why more companies haven't decided to make their millions by marketing jeans and pants to apple shapes. There are a lot of apples rollin' around!

1. I am a mom so mom jeans are just fine.

2. I do have junk in my trunk and pocket placement is not going to hide it.

3. I am over 40 and I do not have to care anymore.

4. My husband still like me the way I am. :D

On the mom jean blog posted up thread I thought the first jeans were fine.:D They were not as bad as some mom jeans I've seen. I prefer mid-rise myself now but wouldn't mind high rise coming back in style, I think they are best for my shape long butt and all.:tongue_smilie:

I know, I'm shaking my head trying to figure it out. I'm with you. And I'm not wearing sky blue eyeshadow and feathered hair, either. ;)

I like Levi's jeans. It seems the current trend is to make your butt look as much like a man's as possible. :001_huh:

Now, I did love the jeans she chose for her mom.

Laurie said, "I don't know why more companies haven't decided to make their millions by marketing jeans and pants to apple shapes. There are a lot of apples rollin' around"

Let me add that they aren't making clothes for pear shapes either, if they are curvy. I can't get jeans that fit without using a belt or getting it tailored. My waist is too small in relation to my bottom.