Menu

How much do you remember from what you learned in high school and college?

I graduated from college 15 years ago. I majored in microbiology and minored in chemistry. Lately I've been kind of upset that I don't remember anything I learned in college. Or even some of the high school chemistry/biology stuff. I worked in an environmental lab for 5.5 years, but then quit to be a full-time SAHM. All of the labs in college really prepared me for that job; I feel like I really only retained the hands-on aspect of what I learned. I did fine on tests because I have a pretty good short-term memory. The problem is that I didn't get much of it into my long-term memory.

I'm currently re-educating myself in math (I forgot everything about calculus too) and chemistry. Fortunately, a lot of it comes right back once I review it.

Dh says I can blame all the pregnancies for this. :001_smile: Fortunately, my oldest is only 10, so I still have a while before I need to teach chemistry or calculus.

Anyone else feel like you've lost a lot of your previous knowledge over the years? PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one.

I think that all that knowledge sort of gets jumbled up in our heads, so that it just becomes one big brain cell, :D, such that you cannot always remember exactly where you learned something...unless it's something you use specifically, such as typing (two years of typing, two years of shorthand here :)).

I can point to some specific skills that I learned in a seventh grade reading class, and I can remember some discussions I had in English classes. Otherwise, it's just one big brain cell.

Oh yes! I'm shocked at how much I have had to relearn. I didn't know I ever knew that much. On the plus side, it is much easier to learn the second time around. Even easier the third...By the fourth, I seem to remember it pretty well...;):lol:

Check out I Used to Know That: Stuff You Forgot From School by Caroline Taggart. I am currently enjoying another of her books, The Classics: All You Need to Know From Zeus' Throne to the Fall of Rome. It is a fly by of ancient history and mythology, and a fun read because of the author's sense of humor.

I remember processes better than information. I can remember how to set up certain math problems and certain lab procedures but I don't remember all the content I had to memorize except the most general. Like I remember what the Moh's Hardness Scale is but don't remember what each stage is.

But, it's been a while since I took a lot of classes and I haven't been using it at all. Dh uses his degree daily for his job and says he remembers a lot.

I have blocked most of high school - don't want to recover those memories - but remember a huge amount from college. However, I worked in my field for a very long time into motherhood and just juggled the kids and the homeschooling so that stuff was really cemented in the mists of my mind!

I really, really enjoyed college and I like reading academic stuff for fun :D, yeah weird, really weird...been that way my whole life, so even my electives seem to have stuck very well.

The only distinct memory I have of high school was wanting out!

Faith

Oh yes! I'm shocked at how much I have had to relearn. I didn't know I ever knew that much. On the plus side, it is much easier to learn the second time around. Even easier the third...By the fourth, I seem to remember it pretty well...;):lol:

:lol:You stated that well.

When I started teaching high school students, I realized that my high school education was better than I thought. It just took a little practice to rev up the ol' brains cells before some kid and their drama killed a few more.:D

I remember processes better than information. I can remember how to set up certain math problems and certain lab procedures but I don't remember all the content I had to memorize except the most general.

This is me right there!

I guess I've been kind of bummed about this lately because I've been hanging out with a science teacher (we are teaching a science track together at the church children's camp) and she mentions all this stuff that I know I learned but I don't really remember much about. And I'm embarrassed to admit that I was so nervous yesterday because I knew we were going to be using microscopes, and it's been so many years since I used one, and here I am, a microbiology major. It all came back though, and it was super easy to assist the children. I'm trying to remind myself that she has taught all of this stuff over and over and over again, so of course she remembers it!

It is kind of fun relearning everything; there's no pressure since I'm not in school. :001_smile:

And here's a confession: when I was in a purging mood during one of my pregnancies, I threw away ALL of my work from college, including lab notebooks and reports. Reading them was depressing, since I had forgotten so much of it. I think the most important things I learned in college were lab techniques, since I definitely used them in my job. I must say though, that getting my MRS degree was the highlight of college for me. :)

Edited by lotsofpumpkins

Overall, I remember pretty much, but it's not consistent across subjects.

It depends on the teaching method and whether I ever actually applied the knowledge. I remember memorizing lists, but I can't remember content of the lists! However, I remember more about biology and physical / earth science than most of the kids could remember at the time of the unit tests. (Mind you, I'm 45 years old.) The teaching method in those sciences involved forcing us to summarize and even co-teach what was being taught. Social studies wasn't as well taught, but I continued learning after being done with school, so I probably haven't forgotten much.

In math, I have forgotten most trig and anything above that, just because I have never applied them in real life. In Spanish, I probably remember almost everything. I remember stuff that I did research papers on, even down to the feel of the book from which I got certain factoids. I remember most grammar stuff that I actually applied. But oddly, though I enjoyed reading Shakespeare, I don't remember most of the stories.

I remember little content from either high school or college. (I do however remember birthdays of friends and family members and the names of many authors.) It's an odd experience to browse through one's Russian notebook from college and recognize one's writing but be unable to read a thing!

Regards,

Kareni

Let's see. I remember parties, friends, concerts, and personal lives/details of many classmates. And what classes I was kicked out of.

I remember when Reagan was shot because it pre-empted All My Children and General Hospital.

As for real school work--not so much. I remember enough bits and pieces of shorthand to write out Christmas lists so dh and dc can't read it, but sometimes I have difficulty deciphering a few weeks later.

I remember pathetically little, really.

I think we all may remember more than we think at times.

I remember how to write and footnote! I use that for my work, so no shock.

I also remember most of my math but I might need to crack a book for a refresher if I get beyond calculus. I don't use my math much but I loved math so it is something I have retained better. I remember my basic statistics facts, but again I use those for work.

I remember my history, civics and basic economics. I remember a lot of literature including poetry (I took 4 years of poetry in high school. I am a dork.)

I don't recall much in the areas of foreign language and college level science besides physics, which was really fun for me and my math brain.

Edited by kijipt

:lol::lol::lol:

Let's see. I remember parties, friends, concerts, and personal lives/details of many classmates. And what classes I was kicked out of.

I remember when Reagan was shot because it pre-empted All My Children and General Hospital.

As for real school work--not so much. I remember enough bits and pieces of shorthand to write out Christmas lists so dh and dc can't read it, but sometimes I have difficulty deciphering a few weeks later.

I remember pathetically little, really.

I remember the things I was interested in. I was a HUGE social butterfly though and much preferred coffee or chai in the dorms with my friends than studying on my own (solitary confinement in my mind!)

There were certain teachers or certain assignments/projects I remember well because I like them.

But it is hard for me to remember exactly what I learned in high school and what I just remember well because I taught high school for so long. I taught English, ESL, History, and a Careers classes.

Dawn

I remember certain conversations, world events, fun things I did-nothing else. I very much remember marching/band and music class. I remember the play I was in, and art class.

Homeschooling (apart from writing and reading) was like teaching myself all over again-and now that we've been homeschooling all these years it's amazing all that you once learned!

Does make you wonder. ;)

High school - not so much. I skimmed through that experience. I did just enough to get through. I don't recall a single class that excited me to learn.

College - only some of it. There are pieces that have stuck, I guess you can say. Like my economics class, for example. I had absolutely no interest in that class but the way the instructor presented the material was good because at least I enjoy being in class. Every now and then, something will come up in my life like a discussion and I'll remember something I learned from that class. It's pretty cool.

I have to say though. I have enough credits to graduate, 130, but not enough in one area to actually have earned a degree. And I have learned far more in homeschooling my children than I did taking my own classes. My ds15 still needs me heavily involved in his classes so it's almost like taking high school classes again. Either I was never taught this material or I don't recall it at all.

I studied engineering and English in university. Of course I remember the English (and have learned 10x as much since then), but I never worked as an engineer and I don't think I remember enough to do so. I do remember a lot of physics and math.

From high school, I remember a lot from the one world history course I took, but I don't remember anything from my two years of Spanish.

Not much from either. I've been out of school longer than I was in school.

I realized this the other day - and felt quite old!

Don't remember much. I think what got out of it was how to study and apply info at the time, not long-term recall. I what I am trying to say is, I learned how to think.

I have skills that I don't remember learning - i.e. writing, maths (from algebra onwards I have to look it up), systematic problem solving, etc. I understand concepts in general, but I don't have very good recall of specifics.

ETA: The biggest thing I've taken from school and college is that I know that I have the ability to learn something when I do require the specific knowledge. I've learned how to learn. (And think. Sometimes).

18 years after high school, I can still ask for permission to use the restroom in Spanish. Other than that, not much.

At least yours is useful. I know I'm constantly whipping out my one Spanish phrase that I'm proficient in because "La familia mira la television in la sala" gets me places.

I also was a biology major plus had a general science degree in secondary ed. I only taught biology for two years out of college and what I haven't used since then is mostly gone. I went back substitute teaching and was rusty on everything, including the courses I'd taught longer. It came back with a quick review but 18 years of no usage sent it to the storage closet.

Like another poster mentioned I did a lot of cramming and purging and never really owned a lot of what I learned in college. I didn't think so at the time, but when I learn something now I go about it much differently.

Highschool: Avogadro's number = 6.02*10{23rd} (sorry, can't do notation on my phone)

College: (in a thick Hindi accent) "If, in the lab, you mix two substances and a white cloud forms.... Run away! Exceedingly quickly!"

I'm sure I remember more but, as Ellie said, it's been crammed into the mass of general knowledge.

Eta: Actually, my French is coming back, better than it was originally. I used to joke that, after several years of French, the practical difference between a French speaking country and a Spanish speaking country was that I could order a beer in both, but only find the bathroom in a French one.

Oh, and I remember that as class poll indicated that Mrs Shear was likely mineral. She also had an unfortunate sweater that was the same color as the wall behind her, so she looked like a disembodied head at the front of the room; rather awkward in a class that should have been billed "Chemistry for Stoners". :lol: I really have no idea why my odd recalls have to do so much with chem. It was not my best subject. Either time.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse