Menu

My SIL picked the names for her twins.

She posted on Facebook the names her and her husband picked for their twin girls due at the end of this month..

Deleted the names so it won't show up on a google search ;)

It drives me nuts when people have matchy names for their twins. I don't even think twins with the same gender should have names that start with the same letter. The names are almost the same!

Now the real question, Do I say something? :001_huh:

Edited by Jennifer L

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She posted on Facebook the names her and her husband picked for their twin girls due at the end of this month..

Mikayla and Mikyleigh :svengo:

It drives me nuts when people have matchy names for their twins. I don't even think twins with the same gender should have names that start with the same letter. The names are almost the same!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

No.

NO! In all honesty I think it is terribly rude when people do that stuff. I really wish certain people would have kept their mouths shut as now I am very uncomfortable having them around my kids or being around them myself.

You could ask what, if any, nicknames they plan on using. Since the names are so similar it must be difficult to come up with nicknames. Might make them rethink it a little without you saying anything that would hurt their feelings. Some people just don't think before they choose names. I don't mind sort of matchy names, but that is really close.

This reminds me of the comic strip Baby Blues where the friend names her twin boys John and Jon. :lol:

ETA: Oops, she named them both Wendell. John/Jon were the middle names.

http://www.babyblues.com/archive/index.php?GoToDay=2003-01-14

Can't figure out how to post the strip here so go to the link.

ETA2: ARGH! The link isn't working either. Sorry. If you must see it go to babyblues.com/archive and search for 2003-01-14

Edited by Cinder

You know they will instantly get the nicknames Micki and Mia. Let your sil know THAT!!! I think the awful spelling is worse than the matching.

My twins are John and Joe...only because five days AFTER my due date (they twins came 9 days late) hubby let on that he did not like Patrick and Joseph as names. John was all we could come up with that we both liked.

Edited by JFSinIL

I think the awful spelling is worse than the matching.

My twins are John and Joe...only because five days AFTER my die date (they twins came 9 days late) hubby let on that he did not like Patrick and Joseph as names. John was all we could come up with that we both liked.

I don't have a problem with matched names (Joe and John are cute!)

I :001_huh: at the second one in the OP.

Lol...no you do not get to say anything but I know what you mean. But you would nut appreciate anyone telling you what you should or should not name your dc.

With that said you would love our family. My brothers are identical twins and the are named Christopher and Kai and my dh is alsoan identical twin and their names are Alexander and christopher...no matchy-match names here.

Lol...no you do not get to say anything but I know what you mean. But you would nut appreciate anyone telling you what you should or should not name your dc.

With that said you would love our family. My brothers are identical twins and the are named Christopher and Kai and my dh is alsoan identical twin and their names are Alexander and christopher...no matchy-match names here.

So you have a brother and a BIL named Christopher? :001_huh: Does that get confusing?

Don't say anything. They know it is very matchy matchy. They know many people will be giving them stink eyes and mumbling about it. So, they must have chosen the names for a personal reason and are happy with it.

Personally, I think it is awful!! :lol: Maybe they have nicknames picked out already? My identical twins have non-matchy names but sort of matchy nicknames. We like it. If our girls decide they don't like it anymore then they can go back and use their full names which don't match at all.

I dislike matchy twin names and I dislike creative spelling. :glare: But I agree that you should say nothing about how terrible they are. I don't think it would be bad, as a PP suggested, to ask if they have any nicknames planned. I'd be curious to hear the answer!

You know they will instantly get the nicknames Micki and Mia.

I think the nicknames will be Kayla and Kyleigh (sounds like Kylie?). Drop the Mi.

I worked with a guy named Keith. I couldn't figure out where Keith came from when there was no K in his name. Turns out his middle name is McKeith. Drop the Mc.

Edited by Cinder
misspelled second name

My guess is that they will be called Kayla and Kylie, which does not rub me the wrong way.

I feel kinda sorry for MiKy-whatever, because she will spend half of her life getting others to spell and pronounce her name right. But it's nobody's business but hers and her parents'.

One of my dds has an unusual name. So far nobody has dared to question it, and most people who comment say it is pretty. But I'm sure some people think I am weird. Well, I am weird, and I'm OK with that. My dd will know why I chose her name and she can change it at age 18 if she hates it.

That second one is atrocious. I don't really care about matchy names (though my twins are Edward and Benjamin, we did not choose to match), but I can't figure out how to say that name at all. People can't spell or pronounce my daughter's name (Alexandra - not hard! completely traditional!), I can't imagine what they'd do with that.

However, the only thing I would say is "oh I'm so happy you've decided on names" or something like that.

Well, the spelling is horrid BUT matchy isn't always bad.. My twins have somewhat matchy names. Callie and Celsie. I intentionally made the first letters match because I thought it was cute. Naturally, once we started going through phonics I learned that Celsie was phonetically spelled incorrectly... oh well. If someone had mentioned I couldn't name my twins that because it was too matchy they would have gotten an ear full. None of anyone's business but the parent's

eta: I will be deleting names soon...so don't quote this.

Well, the spelling is horrid BUT matchy isn't always bad.. My twins have somewhat matchy names. Callie and Celsie. I intentionally made the first letters match because I thought it was cute. Naturally, once we started going through phonics I learned that Celsie was phonetically spelled incorrectly... oh well. If someone had mentioned I couldn't name my twins that because it was too matchy they would have gotten an ear full. None of anyone's business but the parent's

eta: I will be deleting names soon...so don't quote this.

I agree it is your business....but I wanted opinions. Not all people do.

I think if you post the names on FB you must want feedback! Or should at least expect it!.

My MIL had a LOT to say about our first child's name before he was born. I quickly stopped telling her names we picked until after the child was born. I don't think I should have to defend my choice of names for my children to anyone.

It drives me nuts when people have matchy names for their twins. I don't even think twins with the same gender should have names that start with the same letter.
When I was pg I read/heard this same sentiment many times and it had a great effect on me, so much so that I didn't use the names I really wanted to because both began with the "aw" sound and heaven forbid I upset anyone. At my last twins meeting I was the only one who didn't have "matchy" names and I realized what other people think (especially those who don't have twins) should not have affected me at all. I should have chosen "matchy" names because that is part of the fun of having twins. If others didn't like it, too bad! My babies, my choice, and I can just ignore the eye-rolling. If it didn't cost me $250 per baby I would change both of their names; as it is I'm just changing one.

The reality is that the names mentioned in the op will not be said together for the majority of the girls' lives. It's just a short time that twins are introduced together; after that it doesn't matter, really, how close their names are or if their names are just flip-flops of each other (my home health nurse is Jeanne Carol, her twin's name is Carol Jeanie).

I might reply in a way that sounds politely supportive, but co-incidentally happens to clue them in to the fact that those names are phonetically confusing. Something like,

"Those names look lovely and feminine. How will I pronounce them? Like Kayla and Kylie, but with a 'Mick' sound? Sort of, Mick-Kay-La and Mick-Ky-Lee? Or have I got it wrong? I'm really looking forward to meeting the girls!"

Speaking of matchy names reminds me of a family that used to attend our church years ago. They had 4 boys (no twins) all named a form of John (after dad)...John, Johnny, Jonathan, & Johnson!:lol:

My sis has twin girls named Hannah & Hollie which I think are cute names for twin girls. If she had picked names that were super close or spelled in a confusing way I may have said something to her just because we are close and I think she would have appreciated the feedback BUT I wouldn't say anything to someone who I might offend.

(although your little nieces might wish you had when they get older.:tongue_smilie:)

You could ask what, if any, nicknames they plan on using. Since the names are so similar it must be difficult to come up with nicknames. Might make them rethink it a little without you saying anything that would hurt their feelings. Some people just don't think before they choose names. I don't mind sort of matchy names, but that is really close.

Oh, that's a good idea.

And ITA with you. :svengo:

How is that 2nd one pronounced??? :confused:

I'll be the lone dissenter. I would say something. If she didn't want some type of feedback, she wouldn't have posted them on facebook BEFORE the babies were born. When people post something on facebook, they are looking for comments. :tongue_smilie:

I would probably ask how the 2nd one is pronounced and say something about how similar they are.

I agree the names are awful, especially the second, but I would never criticize a name someone else has picked out for their baby. However, if they've posted this on Facebook, I suspect they are going to get plenty of feedback whether they want it or not.

Lisa

So you have a brother and a BIL named Christopher? :001_huh: Does that get confusing?

I have a BIL named the same as my dh. One of them prefers his full name, and the other prefers the nickname that's common for that name. And when we do call them by their full first names, or both by the nickname, we often add the last name initial (that's when we're all together). It's turned out to be much less confusing than we thought it would be.

If she didn't want some type of feedback, she wouldn't have posted them on facebook BEFORE the babies were born. When people post something on facebook, they are looking for comments. :tongue_smilie:

I would disagree with this. Yes, she wants comments, but that doesn't means she wants opinions (even though she might still get some). If she loves the names, she probably posted them on Facebook excited to share the joy.

Edited by milovaný

Well, at least when you start to say one name.... you'll have time to switch it to the other if you're wrong :) Ugly... but she'll be explaining to her own kids... :(

Why ugly? My dc's names are nothing alike and I have to apologize all the time for starting with one name and switching to the other. :D

I have a BIL named the same as my dh. One of them prefers his full name, and the other prefers the nickname that's common for that name. And when we do call them by their full first names, or both by the nickname, we often add the last name initial (that's when we're all together). It's turned out to be much less confusing than we thought it would be.

I have the exact same name as my SIL (First, middle, and last -- and I don't know if she'll be changing her last name when she eventually gets married because she's a professional musician under this name). No nicknames. It doesn't confuse me... My husband calls her "sister Sarah" and me just "sarah". Her parents call her "nuclear Sarah" -- though occasionally there is confusion there.

I don't know what the rest of the relatives do.

The reason I wanted to say something because afterwards she put "what do you think?"

Made me want to share what I thought but I didn't have to.. my MIL did and that went downhill quickly and she deleted the status. Oh well, next time we talk I'll ask her about names and see if she changed her mind. :tongue_smilie:

If you quoted me can you delete it? I'm going to erase the names from the OP so it won't show up if she googles it. ;)

Why ugly? My dc's names are nothing alike and I have to apologize all the time for starting with one name and switching to the other. :D

True! And this can involve more than one sibling's name. You'd think my 2nd son's names was Hannatalevi.:tongue_smilie:

I am in full agreement with you about matchy names for twins and siblings. However, I don't think you should say anything.

I would not say anything. When the twins are born, I would have to find some kind of distinguishing feature (hopefully there is one :D) and concentrate really hard to remember who is who. This is hard enough if they look so much alike but with names like this, it will be doubly hard. :001_smile: But the whole thing is not worth causing bad feelings IMHO.

The reason I wanted to say something because afterwards she put "what do you think?"

Made me want to share what I thought but I didn't have to.. my MIL did and that went downhill quickly and she deleted the status. Oh well, next time we talk I'll ask her about names and see if she changed her mind. :tongue_smilie:

Well there ya go. Is your MIL her mom?