Menu

Nursing during a pregnancy. If you've done it, please enter here!

So, dd (who has an 8 month old) just found out she is expecting again. :D

He is still nursing a LOT. For those of you who have nursed a fairly young one during a pregnancy, any pointers?

My milk always dried up fairly early on, but I never got pregnant with one still this young, so I'd love some info.

:scared: That will be a cute little handful! Congratulations to your family!

I nursed Digby for two months while pregnant. The first month I didn't know I was pregnant and then went another month. I'm not sure I have any tips, he was a year old by then and I weaned him.

But congratulations!

I nursed while pg and then tandem nursed for a couple of years. When I realized I was pg with my 3rd (about 12 weeks along) I decided it was time for the oldest who was almost 5 to wean at which point I also weaned my younger dd.

Not really any pointers because for me it was really natural. I didn't have any supply problems although I could not get much from a pump. I just kept doing what I had been doing and didn't really think about it.

Hopefully it will be the same for your dd. Congratulations!

I nursed through most of pregnancies two and four. My milk tapered off or changed about four to six weeks prior to delivery each time. As a result, babies one and three weened themselves. I had tons of my milk stored in the freezer and offered it to them in cups. Once my milk was re-established after delivery, the older babies weren't interested in nursing again. It was earlier than I wanted to ween, about about 17-19 months, but I was able to pump milk for them for awhile.*

I nursed my son until 2 months before my daughter was born. I never had any supply problems and he still nursed quite a bit at that point (every 2-3 hours with maybe 5 hours between at night).

My doctor just wanted me to make sure I made sure I remembered to take my vitamins, rest when I felt I needed it, don't overdo it, and eat healthy.

He is still nursing a LOT. For those of you who have nursed a fairly young one during a pregnancy, any pointers?

My milk always dried up fairly early on, but I never got pregnant with one still this young, so I'd love some info.

I nursed 2 times pregnant while nursing the older. Drink LOTS of water, get LOTS of rest, eat LOTS of really healthy food....then drink some more water:D

I was able to tandem nurse my older ones who are 21 months apart, but my milk dried up the 2nd time I tried ....with last 2 ds's. The older told me I was broken! :001_huh:

Anyway, I did end up tandem nursing them for a while as they are only 19 mos apart.....then the older one just weaned himself...no longer interested him.....lol.

Congrats to dd and to you!!!

It's fine to nurse through pregnancy if the mom wants to, and if there are not problems with early contractions that are too strong/too many. But since the nursing baby is only 8 months old, I would not rely on nursing to be the main source of liquids or the nutrition that is expected to come from the milk, because her supply will go down. The baby's diet will need to be adjusted for the supply drop, and will likely need to include some formula until age 1, and then some other form of milk or milk substitute to provide adequate calcium.

I nursed my older son all through my second pregnancy, while he was 2 years old. I had the support of my LLL group and LLL books on nursing. My OB wasn't concerned either. She said it was biologically normal to continue to nurse. She would change that recommendation if I were having health problems, but that wasn't the case.

We tandem nursed a long time.

Rest, good healthy food, and plenty of water.

My OB advised me to wean by the time I was six months along because I was at high risk for premature delivery (the one I was still nursing had been a preemie) and nursing can cause contractions...not a problem for the average mom, but a problem for someone who tends to go into premature labor repeatedly. For a mom who isn't high risk...yeah, drink lots of water!

It's fine to nurse through pregnancy if the mom wants to, and if there are not problems with early contractions that are too strong/too many. But since the nursing baby is only 8 months old, I would not rely on nursing to be the main source of liquids or the nutrition that is expected to come from the milk, because her supply will go down. The baby's diet will need to be adjusted for the supply drop, and will likely need to include some formula until age 1, and then some other form of milk or milk substitute to provide adequate calcium.

:iagree: I'm nursing through pregnancy, but my kid is two. With an under one year old you need to really carefully watch diaper output and if it goes down supplement.

Congrats to you and your dd!

The period of my life while I was pregnant and had a baby < 1yo is rather foggy right now. I just remember being so very, very tired and my body so very, very sore. Maybe TMI, but my nipples become ultra sensitive when I'm pregnant. I managed to nurse while pregnant for about five months, but at that point nursing became unwieldly and my nipples just couldn't handle the bigger baby mouth and sucking strength.

I think the biggest concern is not throughout the pregnancy, as much as getting him until at least a year. I think she will continue if he wants, but the worry is definitely his nutritional intake, as well as, of course, keeping the new little one protected. I will tell her to watch for too much crampiness, although I don't know that there is any way she could wean him at this point.

So current dgs is allergic to dairy (dd has avoided all dairy his entire life), and she REALLY doesn't want to give him soy (or any formula if she doesn't have to for that matter). What are some options for supplementing if she needs to?

I've done it twice, nursed my oldest daughter for the first two months of my second pregnancy, then nursed my second daughter for about four and a half months during this pregnancy. It wasn't too hard the first time, because she really didn't care where her milk came from by then and she was already down to nursing just three times a day when I got pregnant. The second time was much harder; I had just night weaned, and when I did she went back to wanting to nurse all day long. I was so exhausted I wanted to wean, but I felt I couldn't trust that she would get adequate nutrition if I did because she was such a picky eater.

The most difficult thing about it is the exhaustion--I would be shaking all over by the time the kids went to bed at night. But besides that, it works fine. I was advised by a lactation consultant to be very careful to get enough fluids, protein, and calcium (especially since osteoporosis runs in my family). One nice side effect was that I did not gain any weight with this pregnancy until my daughter was weaned.

Congratulations!

So current dgs is allergic to dairy (dd has avoided all dairy his entire life), and she REALLY doesn't want to give him soy (or any formula if she doesn't have to for that matter). What are some options for supplementing if she needs to?

Supplementing...you mean, to give dgs? She doesn't have to supplement anything. If she seems to have trouble maintaining her milk supply, he's old enough to begin solid food, not to mention drinking water out of a cup. I would recommend doing that before giving him a bottle of anything.

She might see if there's a La Leche League group in her community.

My DD was almost 2 years old when I got pregnant, but she was still an avid nurser. She nursed throughout my pregnancy and is still nursing now at 3.5 years old.

I did have a dramatic reduction in supply, but it never deterred my DD because she loved nursing for comfort, whether or not there was milk coming out. When DS was born and there was milk again, she was thrilled!!

One of the negatives to nursing in pregnancy is the creepy-crawly feelings you can sometimes get when your nursling is nursing. They are normal and probably hormonally related, but they can be very unpleasant. It can help to limit nursing sessions to the length of a little song, or something like that, so you know there will be an end to it soon (though I wouldn't recommend that with an 8 month old since he needs the nutrition).

With baby less than a year old, formula supplementation is probably the best way to go. Past a year, they can try coconut milk or hemp milk. Both are full of healthy fats and great for toddlers. Hemp milk has a lot of protein as well. I could never get my DD to take anything--she still doesn't drink any kind of milk-type thing except breastmilk. Other than a milk-type food, I would try to get baby to eat a lot of other healthy fats, like avocadoes.

ETA: Adventures in Tandem Nursing is a wonderful book published by LLL. I highly recommend it. It addresses nursing in pregnancy as well as nursing two (or more!) children.

Edited by VeganCupcake

I am nursing my 26 month old now, but yes, my milk dried up around 3 months into it. She doesn't care though, lol. I know there is a supplement, called more milk too, that you can take that is safe for nursing moms. Not sure who makes it though. I'd remind her that the gift of a sibling balances out the loss of milk. Also, maybe she can pump now, while she still has milk, to save for when her milk dries up?

I nursed through one pregnancy and tandem nursed for the first month or so. The next one I just nursed a few months into the pregnancy. I don't know that I have any pointers though - except it can be done. My son was 10mo. old so I did begin to introduce simple foods. That was because I get hyperemisis with my pregnancies so I knew he wasn't getting as much from me as he would have had I not been pregnant.

The only other thing I can comment on is that nursing while in labor is not fun. :001_smile:

I nursed through 2/3 of my pregnancy and only stopped because of a massive (maaaaaassive) case of thrush (which continued after I stopped nursing but at least I wasn't nursing through it). Dd was 2.5 when I stopped her. She wanted to keep nursing, and I didn't have any difficulties, besides feeling tired & touched-out from the hormones. Also, I had to eat/drink a TON.

I absolutely second ktgrok's suggestion of More Milk Two. It helped me nurse through two pregnancies.

My first DD wouldn't have weaned even if I had been bone dry, but I really wanted her to get the benefits of my milk for as long as possible. The second cut down on nursing dramatically very soon after I got pregnant, which worried me since she was extremely petite and still under a year old.

The first time around I tried oatmeal, drinking more water, then reading that too much water is bad and cutting back, then all sorts of different individual things. Finally I ordered some More Milk Two from Amazon (for the fast shipping; you can also get it from the maker, Motherlove Herbal Company). I had milk again before the end of the first day. The second time, I just ordered it as soon as I found out I was pregnant.

It really helped and it wouldn't hurt to have some on hand. Both times my supply dried up very suddenly ... it wasn't like a gradual decline that the baby could adjust to. One morning it just wasn't there. But neither of my girls had to have any sort of supplementation aside from the solid food I was already feeding/planning to feed them.

Supplementing...you mean, to give dgs? She doesn't have to supplement anything. If she seems to have trouble maintaining her milk supply, he's old enough to begin solid food, not to mention drinking water out of a cup. I would recommend doing that before giving him a bottle of anything.

That is bad advice. Before one a baby should not just be drinking water from a cup and eating food. If her milk dries up, she needs to give him a breastmilk substitute.

That is bad advice. Before one a baby should not just be drinking water from a cup and eating food. If her milk dries up, she needs to give him a breastmilk substitute.

I disagree. So there you have it. :)

This is an 8mo baby, who will likely be 10mo or older if/when the OP is unable to nurse any longer. Many children of that age are eating solids and drinking water only and are perfectly healthy.

This is an 8mo baby, who will likely be 10mo or older if/when the OP is unable to nurse any longer. Many children of that age are eating solids and drinking water only and are perfectly healthy.

That's not the advice of any health agency, including LLL. Babies under one need breastmilk or a substitute. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002455.htm

She won't supplement now. She is going to encourage more solids (he hasn't been enthused about them thus far) just to try and have him space his nursing a little more during the day.

I think her concern is if her milk supply drops a lot, and he is still under a year. He has serious dairy sensitivity, and she REALLY doesn't want to do formula (I doubt he'd drink it anyway). She would not be at all interested in doing a bottle.

I think the biggest concern is not throughout the pregnancy, as much as getting him until at least a year. I think she will continue if he wants, but the worry is definitely his nutritional intake, as well as, of course, keeping the new little one protected. I will tell her to watch for too much crampiness, although I don't know that there is any way she could wean him at this point.

I supplemented with food. He is old enough for some fruits and veggies....I just always put aside whatever I cooked...without added salt....and either grated it, put it through the food mill, or chopped it up small. Water is good too.....

She won't supplement now. She is going to encourage more solids (he hasn't been enthused about them thus far) just to try and have him space his nursing a little more during the day.

I think her concern is if her milk supply drops a lot, and he is still under a year. He has serious dairy sensitivity, and she REALLY doesn't want to do formula (I doubt he'd drink it anyway). She would not be at all interested in doing a bottle.

Then she really needs to go talk to a pediatrician or lll about this. You need to be careful that a baby is getting enough fat for brain development before one.

what might've been recommended. I know it needs to be a formula, or something that would be equivalent in nutrients. I wondered if anyone had maybe had experience having to do that.

He might could do a predigested formula, but I just don't know if she'd want to go there. I know she will if she has to.

By saying she won't do a bottle, I mean she'd just want to give him whatever in a cup.

If he's dairy intolerant, chances are high that he'd be intolerant of soy as well, even if she wanted to try that. I'd probably look into coconut milk formula, if that's possible. Perhaps the directions for homemade formula using raw milk that are in Nourishing Traditions, but with coconut milk, would be helpful? Not quite sure what would be the best option there, but I'm pretty sure he'd need some sort of breastmilk substitute, as he needs the healthy fats and proteins.

I had low supply with one of my daughters and my milk had all but dried up when she was 8-9 months old. She refused both bottles and cups. She would drink ice cold water off of a spoon and take pureed fruit by the spoon. She was getting a negligible amount of breastmilk but most of her nutrition was from water and fruit. She was very tiny but otherwise healthy.

That being said, if she'd have taken a bottle, i would have given it to her.

what might've been recommended. I know it needs to be a formula, or something that would be equivalent in nutrients. I wondered if anyone had maybe had experience having to do that.

He might could do a predigested formula, but I just don't know if she'd want to go there. I know she will if she has to.

By saying she won't do a bottle, I mean she'd just want to give him whatever in a cup.

I don't think a baby who has been breastfed for 8+ months is likely to accept an elemental formula without some serious struggle. Those formulas do not taste (or smell) good, especially compared to yummy, sweet breastmilk.

Breastmilk does change in composition almost immediately when a mom becomes pregnant, though--it becomes saltier and some of the other components change. But it is probably still much tastier than an elemental formula.

He shouldn't need to use a bottle at 8+ months. A sippy cup, straw cup, sport-top-style bottle, or even an open cup are options.

I don't think a baby who has been breastfed for 8+ months is likely to accept an elemental formula without some serious struggle. Those formulas do not taste (or smell) good, especially compared to yummy, sweet breastmilk.

Breastmilk does change in composition almost immediately when a mom becomes pregnant, though--it becomes saltier and some of the other components change. But it is probably still much tastier than an elemental formula.

He shouldn't need to use a bottle at 8+ months. A sippy cup, straw cup, sport-top-style bottle, or even an open cup are options.

And this is the dilemma. What should be put in the cup (other than water)? What is a good milk for him to drink (non-dairy, not formula, but something that can possibly be supplemented in some way to be sufficient for him, IF the need arises)?

I got pregnant when my first dd was 9 months. I continued to nurse her through my entire pregnancy. Milk supply was not an issue. I nursed my other babies when pregnant with another child, too. I guess it depends on whether or not she will have supply issues. I didn't.... if her child is 8 months then is she interested in starting solids around 9 months or so? Or am I missing that? My babies were sitting up well, able to feed table foods to themselves at that age and would still nurse frequently but not only. I never did baby food...just table foods. I don't see why she couldn't successfully continue to nurse while pregnant. If cramping does occur though, this is what would make me stop. Maybe contact a local LLL for advice if that happens and what she could then supplement with if needed. In that case, formula is better (I know....) than risking the baby's health and survival. Hopefully, she can just keep nursing without a problem!

My OB advised me to wean by the time I was six months along because I was at high risk for premature delivery (the one I was still nursing had been a preemie) and nursing can cause contractions...not a problem for the average mom, but a problem for someone who tends to go into premature labor repeatedly. For a mom who isn't high risk...yeah, drink lots of water!

Same here. I have to have a stitch in pregnancy to hold the baby in so I had to stop nursing my 3rd baby at 15 months old because I was then 18 months along and having mild contractions. Only because I am high risk though.

I fell pregnant with my 2nd when my oldest was 4 months old (yes, it WAS planned:D). Unfortunately my milk must have changed in taste because from 6months old (w/me 2mo preg) baby started refusing to b/feed. I forced her until 8 months old when she got some teeth, and started biting me to let me know she REALLY did.not.want it! :glare:

When I had my 3rd child, my middle was 2.5yrs old & weaned, so only the one experience.

ETA: When oldest weaned at 8 months she had been on lots of solids for quite a while - she was one piggy baby!! So with all that she was having I saw no need for any other nutritional supplement - formula or cows milk. She just had water - even to go to bed with. She loved a bottle for the comfort/sucking, but was fine with water in it!

Edited by Isabella

Same here. I have to have a stitch in pregnancy to hold the baby in so I had to stop nursing my 3rd baby at 15 months old because I was then 18 months along and having mild contractions. Only because I am high risk though.

:lol: you poor thing!! I hated being only 3 weeks overdue, let alone 9 months over!!! :lol:

I am nursing my 29 mo old right now and am 9 weeks prego. I have lost a lot of supply but she still nurses a lot. I nursed #2 for a few months and then weaned and #1 I nursed all the way through. I've lost a lot of supply every time but my kids have been around or over 2 when I've gotten pregnant though. I'd watch the output and supply.

IMO it is a bad idea to rely only on solid foods to provide a baby's calcium, protein and essential fatty acids unless you have looked into the nutrition very carefully. They need the breast milk or an adequate substitute. Until age 1, the substitute should be formula - either dairy, soy, or a pre-digested formula for allergies (which may also be dairy or soy based). After that, as for non-animal milk substitutes, options I know of are soy, almond, oat, hemp, flax and coconut. These are available in calcium enriched versions with calcium added. It is important to check the calcium content though - not all enriched milk substitutes have as much calcium as cow's milk. I would not use rice milk for children. It does not have sufficient fat or protein and there are concerns about the arsenic levels of the rice milk.

http://news.consumerreports.org/safety/2011/12/new-study-focuses-on-arsenic-in-rice.html

And this is the dilemma. What should be put in the cup (other than water)? What is a good milk for him to drink (non-dairy, not formula, but something that can possibly be supplemented in some way to be sufficient for him, IF the need arises)?

There isn't a "milk" that would add that much to his diet. I don't know what need would arise at his age that would require more supplementing than a good diet, KWIM? Nut milks are not all that nutritious, although they might be tasty. :-)

Whatever. I feel comfortable with my advice. The OP is free to agree with me or not.

:confused: I'm not sure why you are being impolite... I was merely pointing out, as did others, that it's potentially dangerous and imcomplete diet advice for the age of the child in question.

IMO it is a bad idea to rely only on solid foods to provide a baby's calcium, protein and essential fatty acids unless you have looked into the nutrition very carefully. They need the breast milk or an adequate substitute. Until age 1, the substitute should be formula - either dairy, soy, or a pre-digested formula for allergies (which may also be dairy or soy based). After that, as for non-animal milk substitutes, options I know of are soy, almond, oat, hemp, flax and coconut. These are available in calcium enriched versions with calcium added. It is important to check the calcium content though - not all enriched milk substitutes have as much calcium as cow's milk. I would not use rice milk for children. It does not have sufficient fat or protein and there are concerns about the arsenic levels of the rice milk.

http://news.consumerreports.org/safety/2011/12/new-study-focuses-on-arsenic-in-rice.html

:iagree: Coherently and well stated... What I aimed to share and did far less eloquently. :tongue_smilie:

There isn't a "milk" that would add that much to his diet. I don't know what need would arise at his age that would require more supplementing than a good diet, KWIM? Nut milks are not all that nutritious, although they might be tasty. :-)

that he just isn't really eating enough solids to make her feel like he could get a balanced diet, certainly not if her milk should decrease soon. She is going to work on increasing the solids he eats, and add in more healthy fats for him. I believe that would be the reason for adding in some sort of milk.

At this point, I have mentioned to her to possibly seek out someone with raw goat's milk, just in case...