Menu

What are you reading?

I'm home alone for 5 days with my oldest son - 14yos w/special needs. My husband took my three youngest to his family for their annual trip - our oldest is too fragile to fly. I'm organizing, reading, scrapbooking, getting homeschool notebooks photocopied and organized, straightening up the supplies. It's bliss!

I'm reading The Host by Stephanie Meyer. I'm on p.48 and it's starting to get good!

I'm reading Uncle Tom's Cabin. I have successfully avoided this book all through my life. But since my 8th grader is supposed to read it in his Kolbe Academy Jr. High Lit, I thought I'd give it a try. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it and enjoying it thoroughly. I really love the historical perspective, the characters and the storytelling capability of Harriet Beecher Stowe.

Thrones, Dominions by Dorothy Sayers and Jill Paton Walsh

Finished. Why did I not know that this was started by Sayers and left unfinished until long after her death before being picked up and finished by Walsh? I guess I didn't read the jacket. Not bad though. I just got to the author's note and went, "HUH?!?"

A Thousand Splendid Sund by Khaled Hosseini. I'm reading it somewhat reluctantly (it was a bday present from my MIL) because I have the impression it's going to be depressing, and I like happy endings, but so far I am enjoying it quite a bit.

I'm also reading The Untold Story of the New Testament Church, which was recommended by someone on the board.

I'm working my way through the library's Erle Stanley Gardner collection. My nonfiction-in-waiting is Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin, Food Fight by Kelly. D. Brownell, and Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller (subtitled "Nonreligious thoughts on Christian spirituality). I've been waiting since February for Black Like Me and it looks fantastic, so I'll probably read that one first.

Next week I'm all alone during the days -- the kiddos will be at junior police academy and DH at work -- so I hope to finish at least a couple of books.

My fiction is Sons by Pearl S. Buck (sequel to The Good Earth), and I will follow with the third of the trilogy, A House Divided.

The Thirteenth Tale. I just started it yesterday after I finished The Painted Veil.

I loved The Thirteenth Tale.

My dh has been away camping with my three older kids, and it is just my 4 year old and me. I'm having your weekend of cleaning, organizing and reading. :D I'm reading William Steig's Dominic to my dd, and I'm personally reading Finally Feminist.

I just finished The Friday Night Knitting Club - a great, light read. I've started Mrs. Frisby And The Rats of NIMH, because I want to read it to the girls and couldn't wait. :D Right now we're reading The Jungle Books.

I also have Emma to start, and I need to read A Charlotte Mason Companion. I need to get going on school planning for next year and that's my starting off point. Also a funky math book that someone recommended; I can't remember what it's called right now.

I thought about starting a thread on this yesterday but never did.

I'm reading The Friday Night Knitting Club...so far not so great.

Also, Three Cups of Tea, which I hear is great, but I'm just getting into it, so I can't tell yet.

I'm also working on Notes From My Travels by Angelina Jolie, about her humanitarian trips she took a few years back. It's ok.

Well, actually that's not what I'm reading, and I doubt there is such a book. I'm just struck by the fact that on these fairly frequent reading polls, no one ever admits to reading trash romances, or twaddle, or similar "junk"! I can't believe that I'm the only one here who really loves "chick fic", and has reread Sophie Kinsella's "Can You Keep A Secret?" a couple times this week!

Other than that, I'm reading the new Rainbow Resource catalog, "The Fear Book" by Cheri Huber, and quite a few gardening magazines. Going to the library today to pick up some new fiction, most likely of the Chick Fic variety.

Michelle T

... I'm just struck by the fact that on these fairly frequent reading polls, no one ever admits to reading trash romances, or twaddle, or similar "junk"!

I just finished Blood Noir the latest Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, novel by Laurell K. Hamilton. I find this series both repellent and strangely appealing. These books are definitely not for the conservative.

Regards,

Kareni

I'm reading "Vanity Fair" by Thackery. It's slower than I expected, but I'm determined. Last week I was kid free and I should have finished it and more, however, I spent too much time here and out shopping.

I'm also reading the last book of David Eddings Mallorean series (for who knows what time:D), I love his books. This is not on my 888 list by the way.

A Charlotte Mason companion is coming from library loan and I have the Well Educated Mind just checked out and waiting to be looked over.

I'm reading "Vanity Fair" by Thackery. It's slower than I expected, but I'm determined. Last week I was kid free and I should have finished it and more, however, I spent too much time here and out shopping.

I'm also reading the last book of David Eddings Mallorean series (for who knows what time:D), I love his books. This is not on my 888 list by the way.

A Charlotte Mason companion is coming from library loan and I have the Well Educated Mind just checked out and waiting to be looked over.

I loved Vanity Fair, but yes it did take a long time to get through it. It was my "bedtime" book for a long time. It's worth it though. I want to reread it, but I just don't have the time!

It was called Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson. I really enjoyed it. It was about a man (the author) who was rescued by villagers after a failed attempt to climb K2 and he vowed to come back and build a school for the girls in their community.

For some reason I've been on this kick lately of wanting to read books about Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc. Dh and I recently read The Kite Runner and watched the movie last night.

:001_smile:

Nancy

* The Great Tradition

* How to Read a Book, which has been a chore up to this point

* Who Killed Homer?

* Math Power

* I'm starting The Hobbit this evening.

* the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books with the kids.

So far Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle wins the Enjoyability Award, hands down.

Layla McB

Hey Michelle T-

I'm with ya on reading romance books now and again. Generally I read a twaddle book while digesting something a little more in depth!

So, I currently am reading:

For the Roses by Julie Garwood

The Dangerous Act of Worship: Living God's call to Justice

by Mark Labberton

Good and Angry by Scott Turansky & JoAnne Miller

The Art of Talking to Anyone: Essential People Skills for Success in Any Situation by Roasalie Maggio

I just finished:

Green Rider

First Riders Call

The High Kings Tomb all by Kristen Britain

Why I left the Contemporary Christian Church Movement: Confessions of a Former Worship Leader by Dan Lucarini and John Blanchard

So far Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle wins the Enjoyability Award, hands down.

Layla McB

My oldest son read this book recently, and we just listened to Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's Farm in the car. My boys LOVED it. There are a couple of other Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books as well.

Krista

The Wars of the Roses - John Gillingham

The Dragon and the George - Gordon Dickson

The Song of Hiawatha - Longfellow

I've been reading the last one out loud to the kids. I get a kick out of the 3 yo jumping up and down with excitement when I pull out the book.:) The other three make a big show of not enjoying it, except they have to crowd around to see the pictures whenever I'm reading. Lol.

I'm a big Sophie Kinsella fan! Can You Keep a Secret? was the first one I read (on a plane, too!). I really liked The Undomestic Goddess, too. Did you? Are you a Shopaholic fan? Did you know there's going to be a movie?

Wendi

Just finished People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. Very well-written & fascinating, though some of the 'historical' sections were harrowing to read. If you like historical fiction, I would definitely recommend it.

Product Description (from amazon):

"From the Pulitzer Prize–winning author of March, the journey of a rare illuminated manuscript through centuries of exile and war

In 1996, Hanna Heath, an Australian rare-book expert, is offered the job of a lifetime: analysis and conservation of the famed Sarajevo Haggadah, which has been rescued from Serb shelling during the Bosnian war. Priceless and beautiful, the book is one of the earliest Jewish volumes ever to be illuminated with images. When Hanna, a caustic loner with a passion for her work, discovers a series of tiny artifacts in its ancient binding—an insect wing fragment, wine stains, salt crystals, a white hair—she begins to unlock the book’s mysteries. The reader is ushered into an exquisitely detailed and atmospheric past, tracing the book’s journey from its salvation back to its creation.

In Bosnia during World War II, a Muslim risks his life to protect it from the Nazis. In the hedonistic salons of fin-de-siècle Vienna, the book becomes a pawn in the struggle against the city’s rising anti-Semitism. In inquisition-era Venice, a Catholic priest saves it from burning. In Barcelona in 1492, the scribe who wrote the text sees his family destroyed by the agonies of enforced exile. And in Seville in 1480, the reason for the Haggadah’s extraordinary illuminations is finally disclosed. Hanna’s investigation unexpectedly plunges her into the intrigues of fine art forgers and ultra-nationalist fanatics. Her experiences will test her belief in herself and the man she has come to love.

Inspired by a true story, People of the Book is at once a novel of sweeping historical grandeur and intimate emotional intensity, an ambitious, electrifying work by an acclaimed and beloved author."

Don't know what I'm planning to read next, but I think I want something mindless & funny.

Makes me laugh about no one on the boards admitting to light reading :). Even Susan Wise Bauer shared on her blog that she enjoyed the Shopaholic series after meeting one of her deadlines! Maybe I'll read those - seems like a lot of you enjoy those. Anyway, The Host is getting really good - not exactly high brow though!

Last week I read Crazy for God by Frank Schaeffer. Saw it at the library and checked it out bc I love the Schaeffers. It wasn't what I was expecting! Has anyone read it? I love Edith Schaeffer - and as a mother of sons it broke my heart. How could anyone dishoner their mother like that? I know no one is perfect, and we all have spiritual pride and foibles that are glaringly obvious to our children. But to write a book filled with such sarcasm and venom. She's in her 90's and living with one of her daughters now, and I just hope she's not aware enough to understand that this book is out there. Heartbreaking....

Makes me laugh about no one on the boards admitting to light reading :).
I wish I had more time to fit in light reading.... though I'm going to see how much Wodehouse I can get through this summer. :)

Who Killed Homer?

Me, too. It's taking forever because I am arguing with it as I go, looking up my, "But what about . . . " sort of thoughts. I'm studying Mary Lefkowitz's Greek Gods, Human Lives in similar fashion, but Who Killed Homer needs to be returned to the library so I've dropped the Lefkowitz until I get done with Homer. I'm also reading Groove, Bang and Jive Around by Steve Cannon aloud with my partner (which, despite the stupid Amazon reviews, is most certainly NOT erotica, but a statement on a particular culture -- and I picked this one up because Steve is a family friend) and The Wind in the Willows with my kids.

I'm also reading Three Cups of Tea, along with side trips into Persuasion. I've a little different perspective on Three Cups of Tea which makes it especially interesting reading, although it frustrates me in places. Persuasion is, as always, pure delight.

Becky,

Thanks for the encouragement on Vanity Fair. I had seen the movie a few years back and was curious when I found out it was a book first. I have enjoyed parts of it, but I am in the war part and it's a little slow right now.

Angel

Last week I read Crazy for God by Frank Schaeffer. Saw it at the library and checked it out bc I love the Schaeffers. It wasn't what I was expecting! Has anyone read it? I love Edith Schaeffer - and as a mother of sons it broke my heart. How could anyone dishoner their mother like that? I know no one is perfect, and we all have spiritual pride and foibles that are glaringly obvious to our children. But to write a book filled with such sarcasm and venom. She's in her 90's and living with one of her daughters now, and I just hope she's not aware enough to understand that this book is out there. Heartbreaking....

I have read Crazy for God. I actually liked it. I don't think he means to dishonor his mother. I think the book was more about how he saw and remembered his growing up. What you remember is often different from what actually happened. Also, how you perceive what is happening/has happened can depend on your attitude. One of the reasons I liked his book is that there are a lot of echoes of my growing up in his story.