Menu

Can you take another baby name thread?

Alright, so I'm 37 weeks pregnant and due to have a c-section in less than 2 weeks. My husband and I are stuck on names. Here's what we have so far:

Adelaide (nickname Addie)

Anika

Amelia (nickname Millie or Mia)

There's no reason we're going with "a" names, we just happened to like those. So here's the problem, we can't pick! Also, we have no middle name ideas at all. Our other girls' middle names are pretty generic fare (Rose and Faith), so we don't have to be super original or anything. Also, we do want to have a middle name, so some suggestions?

Oh, and our last name starts with an "s", so no middle names that start with "s" because that would create unfortunate initials. Our last name is also 3 syllables, so longer middle names are probably not a good idea. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

That's a really beautiful short list -- I think I'd probably just let myself 'meet' the baby and then pick from the three. I think a reasonably generic short middle name will make a nice lyrical compliment to the lovely names you have listed.

I adore the name Adelaide. My SIL almost named my niece that but changed her mind to Adelyn - which is also beautiful but I really love the name Adelaide.

That said, there seems to be an abundance of babies being named Addison lately, at least in my neck of the woods.

Amelia is also really nice. I'm not as partial to Anika.

I like Adelaide.

What about Adelaide Fair(e)? (I knew a girl named Victoira Faire, and always loved that).

Ooh, I like that. It sounds really cute. Faire may go on my shortlist for middle names. Thanks!

That's a really beautiful short list -- I think I'd probably just let myself 'meet' the baby and then pick from the three. I think a reasonably generic short middle name will make a nice lyrical compliment to the lovely names you have listed.

Thanks! We did that with our second daughter, and I like what we ended up with. The only problem was that for some reason, and I blame the drugs, I could not remember what her name was the entire time I was at the hospital. Every time a new nurse would ask me or family would call or something, I would just draw a blank! It was sort of embarrassing. I'm willing to do it again if I need to, but I would like to be able to know beforehand.

How would you pronounce Anika? If it is Ah-nih-kuh, then I like that but that's my dd's name only we spelling Annika.

This is what I was going to ask! I like this name pronounced Ah-nih-kuh, but I don't like it with the beginning pronounced like Anne. It's a name that was on our short list (spelled Annika) but I couldn't convince my DH. I'm hoping a future girl will get the name. :)

I would have guessed that Anika was Uh-NEE-ka. I don't like it.

Adelaide is nice. I like Amelia also. I'd probably go with the latter myself. I do think that how the last name sounds makes a difference; but I understand not sharing it. And it may not be as easy to describe as my own last name.

What about Hope? Claire? Jean? Paige? Brooke? If you want to stay with one syllable. Depending, you may be able to do certain types of two syllables. Some names ending with Lynn or Elle maybe...or maybe something more like Justice, etc...

I like Adelaide.

What about Adelaide Fair(e)?

I was going to say I didn't really care for the name Adelaide (how do you even say it?), but I really like the way Adelaide Faire looks.

Anika is my fave (pronounced like nukeswife says), but I'm used to seeing it spelled Annika.

Anika Blue

Anika Maye

Anika Lou

Anika Faye

Anika Gia

Anika Cate

Anika True

FYI: Anika (ahn-ni-ka) is Seven-of-Nine's (from Star Trek Voyager) original human name. It may not be a problem for her, but there is a chance you will be mistaken for a hard core Treker. I tell you this because my cousin named his daughter that, and he had no idea.

That's where we got the name. LOL We can pass it off another way though because DH has Norweigan ancestry and we've been told it's pretty common over there.

I would have guessed that Anika was Uh-NEE-ka. I don't like it.

We get that pronunciation a lot and I just don't get why people what to give the "i" a long e sound.

I will add to the OP if you pronounce it Ann-ih-kuh, you may have a lot of people thinking you changed Anakin(as in Skywalker from starwars) to something more feminine. But if that's what your going for the I say go for it, after all as I mentioned we got the name from Star Trek Voyager.

My BFF's granddaughter is Amilia Renae called Mia. Beautiful name!

A dear friend is Anika and I adore her and her name. It's pronouced On-ika tho, not Anne,

I like Adelaide, but not a fan of Addie, sorry.

Love the name Adelle too, I know that doesn't help.

I love Grace as a middle name.

FYI: Anika (ahn-ni-ka) is Seven-of-Nine's (from Star Trek Voyager) original human name. It may not be a problem for her, but there is a chance you will be mistaken for a hard core Treker. I tell you this because my cousin named his daughter that, and he had no idea.

That's where we got the name. LOL We can pass it off another way though because DH has Norweigan ancestry and we've been told it's pretty common over there.

That's where I got it too! :D

I like Adelaide.

What about Adelaide Fair(e)? (I knew a girl named Victoira Faire, and always loved that).

Sounds like Australian patriotism done American style. :001_huh:

If she's to be Adelaide, give her a different middle name or she might grow up feeling it's her destiny to emigrate. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

All three names are beautiful!

Adelaide- My G-maw has a cousin with that name. I always thought (even as a 10yo when I met her) that was a beautiful, classic name, Cannot go wrong.

Amelia/Amelie- I almost named my 4yo Amelie (pronounced Ah-meh-lee). I am Cajun. My great-grandma was named Amelie. I just didn't want to have to correct everyone's English pronounciation. I love the nickname Millie, but I would have gone with Camille instead.

Annika- Not my very favorite, but still a cool, respectable name.

Really? I had no idea. I have a niece named Annika, but I always assumed her name came from the two years by brother spent in Denmark.

I'm not a fan of the Anne-i-ka pronunciation.

I'm surprised to see the comments on Anika or Annika. That's actually a fairly common name where I'm at and I haven't heard pronunciation issues. I just looked up on babynames.com and Anika has a Scandinavian origin (all the little Anika's I know have Scandanavian heritage). The spelling Annika has a German origin. It means "Gracious, Merciful". And I've always heard it pronounced Ah-nee-ka

That said, I like all 3 names! Lovely. I might just wait to see the little one to decide.

Thanks for all the feedback!

My husband is of Norwegian descent, which is where we got the idea for Anika from. It was better than Dagmar (a family name :lol:). We are not Trekies, and while we enjoy Star Wars, we aren't going for an Anikan homage. It's good to know that people might assume that, though, if we choose to go that direction.

How about Amelia Grace. Beautiful name. This is a friends daughter's name. They call her by both names. They flow beautifully together.

:iagree: That is what I was going to suggest. One of my dd's names is Francesca Grace. She gets compliments on her name all the time. We call her Chessie, but all her teenage friends call her Frank. :confused:

Now, here I was thinking that Anika was too much like Anakin (Skywalker) for my tastes.

I like Amelia. I like Amelia Faire. It just rolls off the tongue. If I were to go with Adelaide I think I'd go with Michelle. Adelaide Michelle makes for a long name but it does sound lovely together to my ear.

Try this: for several days to a week, refer to the baby by one one of those names. See how it feels and sounds. Then move on to #2 name and #3 name. My husband and I did this with our second child and it helped a lot. We only had to go through two names, though, but it was enough to know my initial choice just never seemed right.

With our son we had it down to two names and picked one of them once we "met" him and that worked out fine as well.

My husband is of Norwegian descent, which is where we got the idea for Anika from. It was better than Dagmar (a family name :lol:). We are not Trekies, and while we enjoy Star Wars, we aren't going for an Anikan homage. It's good to know that people might assume that, though, if we choose to go that direction.

Not everyone would assume you're Trekkies or Star Wars fans because that never even occured to me. I know a girl named Annika & know it came from German heritage. I've also heard it from Scandinavian families. So, I assumed that was the angle you were coming from....