Menu

I'm going to be sick... I think I need to put my kids in school

I simply can't get done with them what I want to get done with them each day. :confused:

Let's start with my K'er. I require:

15 min of penmanship

15 min of reading/phonics

15 min drawing or coloring (usually this is in a journal) ** this is mostly for hand strength to help with penmanship

15 min bible work (this is just listening, answering questions, coloring)

15 min math each day.

This is an hour and 15 minutes each day, sometimes an hour and a half. On top of this, I read to him usually 30 min during school time or he does books on CD. So, total is let's say, 2 hours.

Well my child in grade 2 requires me for most subjects.

15 min grammar (FLL, not independent)

15 min Spelling (AAS)

15 min to explain writing assignment for the day (IEW, usually, sometimes WT)

15 min to teach math lesson (SM, using IG and Text)

I read to her at lunch time, usually skipping lunch or eating really fast to do so. :willy_nilly: So her time comes to about 1 hour, at minimum, that she needs me for. Combined with the 2 hours that my K'er needs me, I'm up to 3 hours of time where I'm needed. Doable, but...

Add in my 5th grader. She's mostly independent but does require me for some things. Namely:

20 min grammar (R&S5, too hard for her to self teach, needs me)

15-30 min WWS working with her on this

20 or so random minutes for "stuff" like Figuratively Speaking, other things we have thrown into our day.

So, that's another hour. 4 hours of time that I am directly needed.

Thing is, for the 2 hours that my K'er needs me, my 2nd grader doesn't have 2 hours worth of independent work.

My 5th grader gets everything that she can done and then needs me but I'm not done my 3 hours with the other kids. :001_huh: I can't leave my K'er because he'll just wander off or sit there dumbfounded. He still needs observation forming his letters.

Then there's the 3yo who's pretty good about playing but the baby is into every. single. thing. non stop. I"m constantly running. Yes, baby does high chair time and playpen time and this and that time. Sometimes oldest plays with baby but would prefer to be doing her school work so she can get done for the day. High chair and all that time does not come close to the 4 hours of time I'm needed each morning and I won't even get into how difficult afternoons can be some days. Sigh.

We need to get all this done in the mornings because afternoons are for science, history, and geography.

I can't fit it all in. I do about 90% of the time but we push into the afternoons and we're schooling until 5 or 6pm 2 days per week and 4:30 on the other two.

I don't feel like my kids are getting better education than PS and our days are longer than PS days. :001_huh:

Plus, in the afternoon when I teach the older kids science, I need to carve time to do science with the little guys. They're simply not able to be folded into our science topic this year so I had to get them something more at their level (ES, Intro to Science).

I can't do it all. :willy_nilly:

Even on days when it all comes together, it's such a balancing act of chaos when all the stars must align properly. Baby must be in perfect mood and not require diaper changes or there's 5 minutes lost. No mess by the 3yo, no whining for things to do, etc.

I don't have enough hours in the day to teach my kids all the subjects they need to learn and I don't know how I'm going to do it with a gr1 child next year instead of K when I need to add in grammar and all the other subjects.

Not to mention that nobody is doing Latin. :(

I don't know what is wrong with me that I can't do this. I always said if I can't do this then they must go to school. It's breaking my heart. I've dreamed of homeschooling for most of my life and now that it's a reality, I've come to realize I suck at it.:001_huh:

Edited by plain jane

First, i don't think you suck :grouphug:. Second, I think if you want to continue homeschooling, that you could probably combine some of these subjects. For instance, explain the writing assignment to your 2nd grader while your k is drawing or coloring. Then, while the 2nd grader is doing the writing, do penmanship w/ your k'er. Set up folder of things that your older two can do independently. Have them work on those folders while you do math w/ the k'er, then have the k'er do his/her independent work (could even be a puzzle or something ike that) while you work with one of the older kids. I think it can work if you want it too

I simply can't get done with them what I want to get done with them each day. :confused:

15 min of penmanship

15 min drawing or coloring (usually this is in a journal) ** this is mostly for hand strength to help with penmanship

15 min math each day.

This is an hour and 15 minutes each day, sometimes an hour and a half. On top of this, I read to him usually 30 min during school time or he does books on CD. So, total is let's say, 2 hours.

15 min Spelling (AAS)

I read to her at lunch time, usually skipping lunch or eating really fast to do so. :willy_nilly: So her time comes to about 1 hour, at minimum, that she needs me for. Combined with the 2 hours that my K'er needs me, I'm up to 3 hours of time where I'm needed. Doable, but...

Add in my 5th grader. She's mostly independent but does require me for some things. Namely:

20 or so random minutes for "stuff" like Figuratively Speaking, other things we have thrown into our day.

Thing is, for the 2 hours that my K'er needs me, my 2nd grader doesn't have 2 hours worth of independent work.

My 5th grader gets everything that she can done and then needs me but I'm not done my 3 hours with the other kids. :001_huh: I can't leave my K'er because he'll just wander off or sit there dumbfounded. He still needs observation forming his letters.

Then there's the 3yo who's pretty good about playing but the baby is into every. single. thing. non stop. I"m constantly running. Yes, baby does high chair time and playpen time and this and that time. Sometimes oldest plays with baby but would prefer to be doing her school work so she can get done for the day. High chair and all that time does not come close to the 4 hours of time I'm needed each morning and I won't even get into how difficult afternoons can be some days. Sigh.

We need to get all this done in the mornings because afternoons are for science, history, and geography.

I can't fit it all in. I do about 90% of the time but we push into the afternoons and we're schooling until 5 or 6pm 2 days per week and 4:30 on the other two.

I don't feel like my kids are getting better education than PS and our days are longer than PS days. :001_huh:

Plus, in the afternoon when I teach the older kids science, I need to carve time to do science with the little guys. They're simply not able to be folded into our science topic this year so I had to get them something more at their level (ES, Intro to Science).

Even on days when it all comes together, it's such a balancing act of chaos when all the stars must align properly. Baby must be in perfect mood and not require diaper changes or there's 5 minutes lost. No mess by the 3yo, no whining for things to do, etc.

I don't have enough hours in the day to teach my kids all the subjects they need to learn and I don't know how I'm going to do it with a gr1 child next year instead of K when I need to add in grammar and all the other subjects.

I don't know what is wrong with me that I can't do this. I always said if I can't do this then they must go to school. It's breaking my heart. I've dreamed of homeschooling for most of my life and now that it's a reality, I've come to realize I suck at it.:001_huh:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Would you like some advice, or are you simply venting?

Both, I guess.

I'm just bewildered at how difficult this is becoming.

I've realized too that we're again not getting around to poetry memorization. My older kids read to the younger ones which I like, but I also need to get them reading more difficult books to me now and then instead of picture books. I want to stay on top of their pronunciation of difficult words and fluency. I simply don't have time for this. :tongue_smilie:

Plus, I want to read to them all more often but who has time? :001_huh:

Right off the top of my head you need to remember that the educating is just one part of homeschooling. You are also getting to spend time with your babies. Make it good time. Don't stress so much. Drop science. They don't need it that young. Wait a bit.

My second year I had a first grader and four in diapers. I did it. One finished with college, one in college, three preparing for college. You can do it too.

Edited by Remudamom

Have you tried making a schedule that didn't rely so much on the time things take, but simply the order? I find that our days go better when I plan that way. Plus, the kids will learn that after spelling is math (or whatever). That way if you do have to stop for a diaper change, they can at least be ready with the correct book for the next subject. My oldest knew in K what to get out for school when I told her it was ds' naptime. Routine can be a sanity-saver!

You don't suck at all. You need to combine and maybe change up some of your standards. Make things doable, and don't be a perfectionist. Your kids can thrive with you doing your best and not necessarily your ideal. Really, they will.

Don't complain to your dh. Dh's are fixers and they like to swoop in and rescue their wives. I learned that the hard way. Don't worry about Latin in 5th. Cover the 3 rs, and do history and science with reading. Your kids are very young. It is hard now and they won't remember much of what you are doing later. Really.

First, i don't think you suck :grouphug:. Second, I think if you want to continue homeschooling, that you could probably combine some of these subjects. For instance, explain the writing assignment to your 2nd grader while your k is drawing or coloring. Then, while the 2nd grader is doing the writing, do penmanship w/ your k'er. Set up folder of things that your older two can do independently. Have them work on those folders while you do math w/ the k'er, then have the k'er do his/her independent work (could even be a puzzle or something ike that) while you work with one of the older kids. I think it can work if you want it too

I do combine when I can, and it CAN work beautifully. In fact, it would, were it not for the baby and 3yo. They're sort of my wild cards. ;) In theory I should be able to do things as you describe. In practice... not so much. Once I get my K'er going I end up having to get baby out of the bag of flour, or helping 3yo go potty, or SOMEthing and by the time I get to my gr2, the K'er is done. That sort of thing. :tongue_smilie:

I don't do folders, but yes, the kids know what they can do independently and they do the next thing that can be done without me. This isn't the issue. They're often done everything they can do without me long before I can get to them. :tongue_smilie:

The issue is somehow me and my inability to teach 3 grades at once and keep an eye on younger keys and maintain some sort of academic rigor. I won't get into how much it frustrates me that I've had to drop Latin. :(

Both, I guess.

I'm just bewildered at how difficult this is becoming.

I've realized too that we're again not getting around to poetry memorization. My older kids read to the younger ones which I like, but I also need to get them reading more difficult books to me now and then instead of picture books. I want to stay on top of their pronunciation of difficult words and fluency. I simply don't have time for this. :tongue_smilie:

Plus, I want to read to them all more often but who has time? :001_huh:

One question: Will the school do a better job than you right now at educating them?

I hear you old those wild cards :) my 14 month old makes things very interesting some days

I do combine when I can, and it CAN work beautifully. In fact, it would, were it not for the baby and 3yo. They're sort of my wild cards. ;) In theory I should be able to do things as you describe. In practice... not so much. Once I get my K'er going I end up having to get baby out of the bag of flour, or helping 3yo go potty, or SOMEthing and by the time I get to my gr2, the K'er is done. That sort of thing. :tongue_smilie:

I don't do folders, but yes, the kids know what they can do independently and they do the next thing that can be done without me. This isn't the issue. They're often done everything they can do without me long before I can get to them. :tongue_smilie:

The issue is somehow me and my inability to teach 3 grades at once and keep an eye on younger keys and maintain some sort of academic rigor. I won't get into how much it frustrates me that I've had to drop Latin. :(

Have you tried making a schedule that didn't rely so much on the time things take, but simply the order? I find that our days go better when I plan that way. Plus, the kids will learn that after spelling is math (or whatever). That way if you do have to stop for a diaper change, they can at least be ready with the correct book for the next subject. My oldest knew in K what to get out for school when I told her it was ds' naptime. Routine can be a sanity-saver!

The kids do know what comes next... but they need me a lot. All of them. :willy_nilly: Truly, the kids are great. It's just me. I don't know how to teach them all and be with them all.

We all sit at a big table. I'm in the middle but things just don't go smoothly.

I'm left feeling really low most days, like I'm doing them a great disservice. Plus, we don't have time for the fun stuff.

In theory a schedule could work but baby never naps at the same time each day, despite my best efforts for the last several months. I'm okay with this for the most part, but it makes things difficult.

My kids are often sitting there with books open, waiting for me to get to them. :(

Just a suggestion but would workboxes help? the scheduling out is a pain but it could help organize everyone if you throw you independent work in there and some fun things. And combine them for reading or have your 5th grader read to them as you supervise?

I feel your pain. I have 3 that are about the same age (twin K'ers and a preschooler) and I have to do all of their work individually. I set up centers for them and we move centers every 15 mins. While one works with me, the other two are doing a center, and then we switch and one works with me and the other two do centers. Makes for an interesting day. :tongue_smilie:

Are the younger two still napping?

Would it work to do science and history in the mornings, as well as errands and library trips and nature walks and everything that's and easy to combine kids and give the younger kids little tasks and activities to do?

Then during nap time, you should have a nice 2-3 hour block where you can do seat work with the older three.

:grouphug: It is a balancing act and it isn't easy esp. with the ages and number of kids you have.

1. If you do put your kids into school you have not failed.

2. I don't see that you've failed even now.

3. Some suggestions:

Breakfast - Do a simple Bible story that it geared to the Kindergarten level. She gets first dibs on answering questions but everyone can talk about it while you eat breakfast.

Older kid's school gets priority. Younger kids get pulled in to do an activity with you while older ones are doing work on their own.

One question: Will the school do a better job than you right now at educating them?

I have no idea. :001_huh:

But the guilt. Oh, the guilt. :( That would be lessened. I think. Or not. I don't know. I just hate going to bed each night feeling like a failure. I don't strive for perfect days, I really don't. We just have such a hard time getting everyone done what they need.

Plus, I want them to have time for other things, but how to fit it all in? *headdesk*

I do think a school would do a better job with my K'er. He would get enrichment activities, more craft time, exposure to more things that I can't get around to because I'm busy with the older kids. Basically my whole afternoons are spent teaching science and history to the older kids. We try to include him in crafts and the fun stuff but he's not getting as much K level "fun" as a school could provide.

We're getting to the academics and I know my 5th grader isn't lacking (she's getting most of my focus) but it wavers as we trickle down the ages. My 2nd grader is slipping through a few cracks (struggling in some math issues that I should have picked up sooner) and my K'er would be much farther along than he his if I had the proper amount of time to devote to him each day.

Our states doesn't require enrollment or h'sing to start until age 7. What are your state requirements with regard to K? Some things could be put on hold until the baby is at a better stage.

I combine up my young 1st grader and old 2nd grader. Everyone does penmanship and grammar at the same time. A lot of lessons are review for the oldest and brand new introduction for the youngest and we'll continue the cycle for new "set" of learners.

If it's a certain experience you are wanting for your K student and you are ok with the school providing it, then go for it. Consider it outsourcing. ;)

Here is what I did with the kids (6th, 2nd, K, age 2) in the beginning of the year. I gave one of the older girls days off (other than math and reading) to play with the youngers. I school year round now so it will all get done. Taking the load off of me 2-3 days per week gave me time to get extra done with the other girl. I have lessened it down to 1 day per week off but it really helps. Perhaps move science and some of the more intense work for a Saturday morning when you have DH as backup? That's a thought too. I would not stress about science and history for the kids right now. Heck get on Happy Scientist and then do SOTW audio. It will get better.:001_smile:

As for Latin.....well I used to think that was so needed. Then I got overwhelmed and learned that no it wasn't. They have time for that. Some root word work for your oldest would give the same kind of thing for now.

Our states doesn't require enrollment or h'sing to start until age 7. What are your state requirements with regard to K? Some things could be put on hold until the baby is at a better stage.

I combine up my young 1st grader and old 2nd grader. Everyone does penmanship and grammar at the same time. A lot of lessons are review for the oldest and brand new introduction for the youngest and we'll continue the cycle for new "set" of learners.

I had to laugh at the bolded above. :lol: I'm not sure that's going to come for another 2 years or so. :tongue_smilie:

Thing is, I don't want to push things off because I fear it will be a slippery slope, kwim? Plus, I think that the more I can accomplish with him now, that it will pay off in the future. Meaning, if I can get him reading well now and forming his letters properly, it will be that much easier to get him writing in grade 1 and working on comprehension and not just basic decoding. He's ready for the work, but I lack the time to give to him.

I thought about combining but I'll have an advanced (in LA) 3rd grader and a not yet writing 1st grader. They're too far apart skill-wise to combine into much of anything.

But the guilt. Oh, the guilt. :( That would be lessened. I think. Or not. I don't know. I just hate going to bed each night feeling like a failure. I don't strive for perfect days, I really don't. We just have such a hard time getting everyone done what they need.

Plus, I want them to have time for other things, but how to fit it all in? *headdesk*

I do think a school would do a better job with my K'er. He would get enrichment activities, more craft time, exposure to more things that I can't get around to because I'm busy with the older kids. Basically my whole afternoons are spent teaching science and history to the older kids. We try to include him in crafts and the fun stuff but he's not getting as much K level "fun" as a school could provide.

We're getting to the academics and I know my 5th grader isn't lacking (she's getting most of my focus) but it wavers as we trickle down the ages. My 2nd grader is slipping through a few cracks (struggling in some math issues that I should have picked up sooner) and my K'er would be much farther along than he his if I had the proper amount of time to devote to him each day.

You have to let go of the guilt. I will share something with you. I put my two middle children into school when they were 3 & 5. I needed the break. I then was able to spend more time homeschooling my 3rd grader and be with the baby. I afterschooled my 5 year old. It was nice. Not perfect but nice.

One year I even did very little with all my kids. Yes, we did the 3rs but just that was it. I was in a deep depression from so many immediate family members dying unexpectedly. The next year we picked up fairly effortlessly where we left off. It wasn't a problem.

Now my older two kids are doing wonderfully in college and private high school. Straight As & oldest just got into a public ivy.

My younger two are doing well also. I'm telling you all this because every year does not have to be perfection. It is a marathon, not a sprint. If I didn't get to something one year we usually did another.

Please, don't be so hard on yourself. Don't expect so much that you make yourself ill. Some of the idealistic posts you read online are embellishments. Not everyone here is doing what they say they are.

If you need a break put them in school, but don't do it because you think you are failing. You aren't.

Right off the top of my head you need to remember that the educating is just one part of homeschooling. You are also getting to spend time with your babies. Make it good time. Don't stress so much. Drop science. They don't need it that young. Wait a bit.

My second year I had a first grader and four in diapers. I did it. One finished with college, one in college, three preparing for college. You can do it too.

I know. :( I'm missing out on that part too. I've recently gone back to reading to everyone (currently it's Black Ships Before Troy and I'm completely over the heads of the 5 and 3yos but at least they're in the room listening to my voice :tongue_smilie:) for an hour or so per day.

I have dropped science for a bit, but it's hard when he's asking to do it. My older kids have offered to do it with him while I cook supper, but they're usually finishing off their own work. :001_huh:

I know plenty of ladies here do it. I don't even have that many kids. I really ought to be able to do this. But somehow I can't. I don't know why that is. I know someone with 7 kids who does far more with her kids than I do. I've talked to her about what she does and it doesn't sound much different than what I do but somehow she's getting it done with all of hers and I'm simply not. Her baby is a year and a bit older. Maybe that's the key? :confused:

Okay seriously, are you sure you are not me? I am having the same kind of experience right now. It feels terrible to KNOW that one (or more) of my kids would be doing better, or being challanged, or whatever, if it wasn't for my ineptitude. I know what you are saying about putting the ones falling through the cracks into school, and seriously thinkng the school will do a better job. I had this same conversation with my husband this weekend. I was sick Sunday night because I knew it was about to start all over again, and even though I have decided to scale back what we are doing, inside I feel like a total failure. It stinks to admit to myself that I don't measure up to the ps. And to look my husband in the face and admit that I are struggling.

Thanks for posting, I don't have any advice because I am neck deep into what you are feeling, but thanks for letting me know that today, I am not the only mom of a bunch who isn't sewing matching outfits, while baking bread and homeschooling rigorously in a totally tidy house and kind of feels cruddy about it.

You have to let go of the guilt. I will share something with you. I put my two middle children into school when they were 3 & 5. I needed the break. I then was able to spend more time homeschooling my 3rd grader and be with the baby. I afterschooled my 5 year old. It was nice. Not perfect but nice.

One year I even did very little with all my kids. Yes, we did the 3rs but just that was it. I was in a deep depression from so many immediate family members dying unexpectedly. The next year we picked up fairly effortlessly where we left off. It wasn't a problem.

Now my older two kids are doing wonderfully in college and private high school. Straight As & oldest just got into a public ivy.

My younger two are doing well also. I'm telling you all this because every year does not have to be perfection. It is a marathon, not a sprint. If I didn't get to something one year we usually did another.

Please, don't be so hard on yourself. Don't expect so much that you make yourself ill. Some of the idealistic posts you read online are embellishments. Not everyone here is doing what they say they are.

If you need a break put them in school, but don't do it because you think you are failing. You aren't.

:crying:

Thank you. I needed that. :grouphug:

I simply can't get done with them what I want to get done with them each day.

15 min of penmanship

15 min math each day.

15 min Spelling (AAS)

Cut back with you K'er, that will help your sanity. Do the penmanship, but don't time it, just do a little practice. Unless his hand is really strong, 15 minutes may actually be a lot. Practice a few letters 3-4 times each. Or write a few words. I know my DS got sloppier the more I had him write. The first few letters were perfect, the rest of the line was sloppy. You are doing coloring for strength. But don't make that apart of school. Do phonics, handwriting, Bible, and math then let him color on his own while you work with the other two. Change out the coloring with playdough. That is great for hand development as well. I did 30 minutes a day with my k'er last year.

Rotate the afternoon subjects, do one a day. That will give more playtime amd reading time.

Can you do half a r&s lesson a day with your 5th grader? If it is too hard, take two years for it. In TWTM she does recommend doing it a year behind. We are a year ahead now, but I plan to take two years for 5 and if we need it, 6. Ignore the grade and work where she is.

I had to cut out everything but grammar, math, and silent reading for a few months. We moved way ahead in those subjects and have almost finished the books. Now we are slowong down to add science, history, spelling, and lit back in. We will finish it all in our original time frame (all but SOTW anyway), we just did it differently.

If you alternate history and science, you can cover more in a day and do a shorter day because you don't have the time switching subjects.

Keep in mind, PS classes rarely finish a text. If you finish or jearly finish you are ahead :). At your kids ages, they would not be learning history or true science. They would be in social studies and learning weather, planets, the plant and water cycle amd a few other topics that wrre covered every year for me from 1st to 5th grade. You are giving a better education because it includes family time and lots of love. Have you taken a spring break yet? If not, do that. It will make you feel so much better! Trust me ;)

This is a season. Your 3 year old won't be 3 forever, and your baby won't be a baby forever.

Sometimes, during certain seasons, we have to do things that might not be the best. For example, I did part of CW when ds12 was in 3rd grade, and ended up shelving it and then selling it. I loved the idea of it and I loved the method, but I simply didn't have the time to devote to it. It was a very hard decision. But you know what? Ds12 & ds11 are doing CW Older Beginners now, and I'm ordering Aesop (for my ds9) and Diogenes for the older two for the fall. Do I wish I could've done it all the way through with them? Yes. But it simply wasn't humanly possible for me. So we did other things, things that were less teacher intensive.

I've pretty much unschooled science. Lots of kits, lots of books. If they expressed an interest, I would get a book or kit on it. I kept my eyes open for ways to sneak science in.

I would drop grammar, and maybe writing, for your 2nd grader. These can be picked up in 6 months or a year when your littles have had more time to grow up, without any real consequence. Is it what you'd like to do? Nope. But it will be okay, and you would be able to get rid of some guilt.

I'd also drop the drawing/coloring period for your Ker, and I'd consider dropping Bible as a school subject.

Latin: Visual Latin. My boys love it, they're learning, and it frees up my time.

Confession: My 6 year old still can't read. It's been a hard two years with some health issues, and I haven't been as consistent with him as I should've been. He's ready to take off, but we just need consistent lessons.

Be gentle on yourself. Be kind to yourself. If you were looking at a friend's life and she was having the same difficulties as you are, what would you do? How would you act? Give yourself that same grace.

I read aloud at bedtime. It used to be the only reading aloud I did--we started 4-5 years ago, and it's been wonderful.

Do the little ones sleep later than the 5th grader? I would recommend that you get started on school early with the 5th grader and get those things done together that need you. Then let her move to independent work. While the little ones are eating, you can work with the 2nd grader. Personally, I'd let the K off easy. Maybe a little work on phonics and some fun math games - most of which can be accomplished without a "sit down" approach. Utilize books on tape and learning dvds and computer games to occupy the time you need to spend with the 2nd and 5th.

I have learned over the years that everyone can't do everything at the same time because there is just one of me. We had to learn to work when the little ones napped or played or ate. It seems hectic and disjointed, but it works. I was on pregnancy bedrest (and was very ill) with my last son - at the same time I was supposed to do K with the oldest. He didn't get much, but he learned a little phonics and we played mental math games. We watched a lot of videos and played a lot of computer games. He learned to bring me babies and diapers and how to make lunch. He's graduating this May with a degree in Petroleum Engineering. Obviously a very loose K year did him no harm :).

It's hard to find a rhythm in those early years because someone's schedule is always changing and someone is always going through a stage. So don't worry too much about finding the right schedule, because it'll need to change in a few months :)

Hang in there....summer is almost here :)

First, throw out the timer. Don't measure it. This season is so short.

Have you discovered bible story DVDs like Story Keepers?

I highly recommend Teaching Textbooks.

What about reading with the older kids at bedtime, when your spouse can keep the littles or they are in bed.

See if you can borrow super baby yard gates. Put two together to keep the baby in a safe but sizable place to explore.

Listen to Story of the World in the car even if you are just driving around the block. The littles ones will be belted in. Just so you know, my 2nd grader does very little history or science in PS.

Starfall.com and xtramath.com

How much time will your baby sleep and then go to a high chair?

I'm right there with you - many days.

I'm homeschooling 5 - but things have eased up quite a bit since my two oldest are highschoolers and able to work independently...but still, some days it's a lot of juggling, I don't feel organized or "together" and I wonder if I am doing a good job or not.

I homeschool my 3 youngest together mostly, I have 2 -6th graders (one has some learning disabilities and needs hand-holding on some things) and 1 4th grader.

It helps to start the bulk of our written work together at the table - even my highschoolers have to sit down so I can see that they are working on something. I have my 3 youngest sitting together and we all do Math first. I picked a math program that doesn't require a lot of teaching time from me, we do Math-U-See *the kids watch a video lesson and then work on a worksheet each day. I just correct the work and explain if they get stuck. Next, we are using Horizon Math also, this I teach as they work on it. So, the kids all start working on Math and I move from kid to kid helping/explaining as needed. Some work faster than others. If I am busy explaining something, any other kid who needs help knows to move to another question they can do themselves, or they know to take out their handwriting sheet and work on that. I do not teach handwriting past K- even for K, it just takes a couple of minutes. I walk behind the kids as they are doing handwriting and correct mistakes- or if I was busy helping others, I look over the handwriting when they are done and correct/have them re-do it later before I release them for free time. Our next lesson will be all-together with me teaching: Grammar. The kids who are done first can have a short free-time (playmobil, reading, piano practice, sometimes a short mythbusters) once the last kids is done with our table time work (math, math, handwriting) I then teach Grammar to all 3. Grammar seems to repeat itself each year, so I pick a year and don't worry about who is above or behind. We are doing Shurley 4 with the 6th grader, 6th grader, 4th grader. Next we do a test prep worksheet- I do a grammar sheet all together (a daily grammar sheet) and then explain/work a 6th grade sheet. The 4th grader tries to do her sheet alone or waits for me. I make sure she understood or explain to her when the 6th graders are done. We break for lunch. After lunch we do some reading or Science together. I then tackle some individual level work such as Writing with ease or spelling or more test prep. The kids do silent reading and then free play while they wait their turn.

yes, it is a lot of juggling, but it seems to be working out. I think it would work more seamlessly if I had certain days for things, like Fridays are Science day, etc. I just can't seem to pull it off.

all of this to say that I use a block of time for everyone working in one place, you can bounce around and help as needed. Combine where you can, it will help you so much and really, in some subjects- repetition happens, they won't suffer from working below a grade level. Subjects you cannot combine and need one-on -one instruction- schedule those for a certain time period and have the kids do quiet reading or quiet activities while you work. If you have a little, I would try to do the one-on-one instruction (such as phonics, writing) when the younger is napping. Teach your youngers to also have room time (play quietly in room for 10 min to start, 30 min max eventually) I also had activity boxes set up for special time for the littles while I was working.

it really is a juggling act, but really, it gets easier as they get older.

hugs to you.

First off, I totally get how you're feeling. I struggle with everything you've said. I have kids in 6th, 2nd, k, and a 3yo. Two with special needs and we're moving! Fun times.:glare: Some coping strategies:

I prioritize the oldest. If I get a good day in with the others, fantastic, but if I don't I "try" not to stress over it.

While the oldest is doing independent work, I work with my kindergartner. This is only about a half hour a day. He does math, printing, & reading. That's it. There is plenty of time for him.

I school year round, 4 weeks on, 1 week off. I NEED that week.

I school them myself Mon-Thurs and then do science, history, & geography on the weekends so I have help with youngers. (I also suck at projects and experiments and dh excels at them).

I send my 3yo to preschool two afternoons a week. Although, I go back and forth on whether this is a help or a hindrance! There are days that I am so relieved to have those two hours with fewer interruptions, but the extra time wasted to get her there and back can make it not worth it.

Now the 6yo is screaming at the 3yo so I will post more later if I think of anything else.

I agree with everyone who's said you need to give yourself more grace. I think you can make it with what you want to get done, but if you put the kids in school that is not failing. You love your kids and that will come through with whatever you decide!

Personally, I would do read alouds at night or use audio books. That takes an hour from your 4 hours of school time right there. I would focus on the 2nd and 5th grader in the am. Let your 5th grader do independent work while you work for an hour with the 2nd grader. Then switch. Hopefully you can finish up those hours before lunch. If either one finishes early, that kid gets to help out with the littles until you are done with the other one. I know you said the baby doesnt nap at the same time so whenever the baby does go down, spend some time with your K'er. Alternate history and science so you don't have to do both subjects in one day. Listening to SOTW in the car like someone mentioned is a great idea. Do (or have you dh do) a special science project just for the K'er on the weekends.

I had a tough year last year so i truly understand your struggle :grouphug: I'll be praying for wisdom and *peace* for you in making your decision.

This is a season. Your 3 year old won't be 3 forever, and your baby won't be a baby forever.

This is my mantra. I have a 4th grader, 2nd grader, Ker, 3yo, and 16mo. Life is chaotic and hectic, and no one gets enough of anything.

Our current schedule has me working for about 2 hours with my 4th grader in the morning. We sit on the floor while we work. The other kids play around us or in another room, and the 1yo sleeps part of that time. I cannot function bouncing between kids, so I don't get someone started with one thing and move on to the next kid. I have far too many interruptions just in the normal course of work - I can't handle planning interruptions! I also do not create time-fillers for them. If they don't have school work, they go play with their sibs.

In the afternoon my 4th grader works independently for about an hour while I spend 1 1/2 hours with my 2nd grader and 30 min with my Ker. The 1yo naps for part of the time, and everyone else plays if they aren't working with me. Once again, we sit on the floor so everyone can touch me and play near me as they need. My toddler loves to sit in my lap and play with math manips.

15 min of penmanship

15 min math each day.

My Ker gets 30 min which looks like 15 min of reading, 15 min of math, and 5 min of handwriting. He colors plenty on his own, and he listens to read alouds at bedtime which cover the religious component.

15 min Spelling (AAS)

My 2nd grader gets 90 min which is 40 min of math, 15 min of dictation (grammar and spelling), 15 min of WWE/handwriting/copywork, and reading. I don't read separately to him. He gets can choose to listen to picture books with us, but he also listens to chapter books at bedtime.

My 4th grader gets 2 hours which includes 45 min math, 15 min dictation (spelling & grammar), 30 min writing, and other misc things including interruptions. She reads for science, history, and religion in the afternoons.

My oldest is starting Latin next year.

I read aloud picture books in the morning to the youngest group which may or may not include the 1yo and 7yo. I read chapter books before bedtime which includes the 3yo, 5yo, 7yo, and 9yo. The chapter books are selected from science, history, religion, and literature.

I find it interesting that my time schedule is up-side down compared to yours. I give the most time to my oldest kids and the least amount of time to the youngest, while you are the opposite.

First of all, :grouphug:! Secondly, a K'er doesn't really need to do 2 hours of seat work. Playdough is great for hand strengthening. Let him color when he wants to. 5 minutes of required handwriting is plenty. Second, nobody HAS to do Latin! That's right, I said that out loud and on this board. We never did. We tried, it just didn't work for us. You can always try it again when the babies are older! Just relax, and have fun! As for science, do it on Saturday mornings and make it something exploratory and fun, not a "subject that must get done".

I don't think you suck but I do think you have a lot on your plate. I am feeling the same way (I have 5 kids, youngest 2, oldest 12). We are going to put at least one, maybe two in school next year. Homeschooling was my dream, too, but their actual education is more important than the one I want to give them in theory. And I am getting less done than you, I think. :grouphug: I hope you find a solution that feels right.

ETA: I prioritize the youngers, like you, in terms of one-on-one. I don't know if that's right or not, but they really need me for these foundational skills.

First, :grouphug: because I do know how frustrating it is to have many dc and homeschool. It is hard to find a groove and a schedule that works and often once you do one of the dc moves into a new developmental stage and you have to re-work your schedule. You are homeschooling - it is a FULL TIME JOB. With many dc it is not unreasonable for you to work from 8 to 5 with an hour for lunch. No more than it would be unreasonable for you to work an 8 hour day if you worked outside the home. Here is a scheduling suggestion.

*Re-organize the work to fit into an hour. (Instead of doing handwriting for 15 mintues, do 5 minutes of very concentrated work. They get so much penmanship practice in other areas.) Do the K'er first while the 2nd grader does independent work and the 5th grader plays with the baby and the 3yo. Once the K'er is done then let her\him go for the day except for sitting in on science\history that you will do for the 5th and 2nd during afternoon nap time for the 3yo and baby.

*Next take a 15 minute break to coo over the baby and tickle the 3yo.

*(One hour)Move onto the 2nd grader while the 5th works independently and the K'er makes faces and plays peek-a-boo with the baby. The 3yo can sit next to you and color, do bead, playdough, puzzles or you can stick in a educational video or two.

*Take another 15 minute break.

*(One hour)Move onto the 5th grader while the 2nd grader keeps the 3yo and baby occupied. The K'er can sit next to you and do independent work or something like Reading Eggs.

*Lunch - This should put you at about 1 if you took an hour for lunch and even allowing for 30 minutes of dawdling\diaper changes.

*Put baby and 3yo down for naps\rest time and do Science\History with 5th, 2nd and K. Alternate days for History M\W - Science T\Th, and you can use Friday afternoon for chores, errands, or just relaxing.

*So now, if you spend 1-1.5 hours on science or history, you should be done by 3 at the latest, allowing another 30 minutes for dawdling.

Find ways for your programs to do double duty. Penmanship can be practiced during other subjects, grammar can be taught\discussed during copywork, dictation or composition, writing doesn't need to be a separate subject - make it part of science\history\lit. Until your students are able to self study stick with content subjects that can work for all grades. Don't sweat doing content subjects with anyone under 4th grade. Exposure is all that is necessary at that level. Enlist the help of your 5th and 2nd graders when they are watching the little ones. They can do flashcards, puzzles, basic math games, puzzles, and read to the 3yo and K'er.

Do not answer the phone, do not get on the computer, do not stop to clean or tidy. Teach your dc that they are not to interrupt during designated one on one time with someone else. Train them to respect the schedule. If they can't comply then put them in their room with lots of books and toys and shut the door. School comes first, it is the priority, it takes us moms all day, it is our job. I start at 8 and am often still working with an older dc up to 5. This is how it is with lots of dc.

:grouphug: You need to take a break, reevaluate your schedule, your curricula, your and your dc's discipline to stay on task, and re-visit why you are homeschooling. If you decide it's too much then don't stress over it. You have to do what is best for your dc, and a stressed out mommy is not a good long term situation.

Edited by 5LittleMonkeys

I'm still reading other replies, but I need to be done before my next round starts. :)

Just throwing ideas out:

What about doing all sciene and history on one day and the other days you would have more time to bounce around on the more one on one stuff. Yeah, the idea of bouncing around isn't my favorite but I've found that shifting my science and history to its own day has been amazing.

I *think* it works because all that reading sort of allows for everyone to want a natural break. And if your oldest wanted to go on reading without you while you do the others it wouldn't be a huge deal. She may even welcome the chance to do an experiment with the youngers while you help someone else. Either way something would be getting done.

You aren't failing. But I can totally relate to the feeling each night.

I did put mine in preschool at a place I love because I did see the value in it. I just simply wouldn't cut and paste that much. I wouldn't do the music and movement stuff that I believe in. And honestly, I wouldn't be as much fun. My youngest is finishing her last year there (pk4) and I am so sad that that kind of fun is over. But she and I are both looking forward to her being home next year. All that to say....they don't ALL have to go off to school. If there is somewhere you like that your youngers could go even 2 days a week....it takes a bit of stress off you. And it's ok. In my case it was ideal. We all won.

Okay seriously, are you sure you are not me? I am having the same kind of experience right now. It feels terrible to KNOW that one (or more) of my kids would be doing better, or being challanged, or whatever, if it wasn't for my ineptitude. I know what you are saying about putting the ones falling through the cracks into school, and seriously thinkng the school will do a better job. I had this same conversation with my husband this weekend. I was sick Sunday night because I knew it was about to start all over again, and even though I have decided to scale back what we are doing, inside I feel like a total failure. It stinks to admit to myself that I don't measure up to the ps. And to look my husband in the face and admit that I are struggling.

Thanks for posting, I don't have any advice because I am neck deep into what you are feeling, but thanks for letting me know that today, I am not the only mom of a bunch who isn't sewing matching outfits, while baking bread and homeschooling rigorously in a totally tidy house and kind of feels cruddy about it.

Plain Jane, are you peeking in my windows? Saraha, are you peeking in my windows? Seriously, I have this same conversation with myself everyday. Every day. Every day. I am slowly learning to get rid of the guilt if for no other reason than it makes me want to curl up into a ball and disappear. That will not work for anybody, even me.

I have no words of wisdom for you, just lots of hugs as we slog through this together. Some days are worse than others. Today, ds2, dd1, and dd2 decided to dump 14 bottles of paint on the floor while I cleaned dishes. When I told dh, he asked if we were still going to fit school in after I cleaned up. I hung up on him. My house is a complete disaster. My kids probably are as well but they are laughing together at some story my oldest made up as I type so I'll let them laugh for a little longer before I go see if it's really diabolical laughter....

This is my mantra. I have a 4th grader, 2nd grader, Ker, 3yo, and 16mo. Life is chaotic and hectic, and no one gets enough of anything.

Our current schedule has me working for about 2 hours with my 4th grader in the morning. We sit on the floor while we work. The other kids play around us or in another room, and the 1yo sleeps part of that time. I cannot function bouncing between kids, so I don't get someone started with one thing and move on to the next kid. I have far too many interruptions just in the normal course of work - I can't handle planning interruptions! I also do not create time-fillers for them. If they don't have school work, they go play with their sibs.

In the afternoon my 4th grader works independently for about an hour while I spend 1 1/2 hours with my 2nd grader and 30 min with my Ker. The 1yo naps for part of the time, and everyone else plays if they aren't working with me. Once again, we sit on the floor so everyone can touch me and play near me as they need. My toddler loves to sit in my lap and play with math manips.

My Ker gets 30 min which looks like 15 min of reading, 15 min of math, and 5 min of handwriting. He colors plenty on his own, and he listens to read alouds at bedtime which cover the religious component.

My 2nd grader gets 90 min which is 40 min of math, 15 min of dictation (grammar and spelling), 15 min of WWE/handwriting/copywork, and reading. I don't read separately to him. He gets can choose to listen to picture books with us, but he also listens to chapter books at bedtime.

My 4th grader gets 2 hours which includes 45 min math, 15 min dictation (spelling & grammar), 30 min writing, and other misc things including interruptions. She reads for science, history, and religion in the afternoons.

My oldest is starting Latin next year.

I read aloud picture books in the morning to the youngest group which may or may not include the 1yo and 7yo. I read chapter books before bedtime which includes the 3yo, 5yo, 7yo, and 9yo. The chapter books are selected from science, history, religion, and literature.

I find it interesting that my time schedule is up-side down compared to yours. I give the most time to my oldest kids and the least amount of time to the youngest, while you are the opposite.

For me, I find I am able to do this because I spent all that time with my oldest when she was little (before a lot of the rest were born) and she has a solid foundation.

She is able to carry on a good number of subjects without me. Math (Saxon + CDs), Spelling (Phonetic Zoo), CLE Reading, Novel Studies, IEW assignments using SWI DVDs, Logic, most of WWS, etc. She has the skills she needs to be able to do things without a lot of my help. Instruction, yes, but not helping and hovering any longer, thankfully. :hurray:

My others are not at that point and I "fear" that if I don't commit to them now, that they will not get to that point, and homeschooling them in the middle years will be arduous and difficult.

I spend most of my afternoons catering to my oldest's needs and everything in history and science is mostly geared towards her, from our experiments to the discussions we have. My mornings are mostly all about the little kids but she gets most of my attention in the afternoons.

First of all, :grouphug:! Secondly, a K'er doesn't really need to do 2 hours of seat work. Playdough is great for hand strengthening. Let him color when he wants to. 5 minutes of required handwriting is plenty. Second, nobody HAS to do Latin! That's right, I said that out loud and on this board. We never did. We tried, it just didn't work for us. You can always try it again when the babies are older! Just relax, and have fun! As for science, do it on Saturday mornings and make it something exploratory and fun, not a "subject that must get done".

The bolded is a problem here. :lol: He simply never *wants* to color but will gladly color the sheets for Bible study, so I'm running with that. He takes great pride in those & since he is lacking in penmanship skills, I want to build hand strength. He's not a fan of playdough although I do insist on 1/2 hour of playdough each week, whether he wants to or not, he knows it's going to happen. :tongue_smilie: He's learned to tolerate it but it's not an activity he asks to do.

I may cut back on the handwriting a bit. 15 minutes includes all the time it takes to take out/put back books, get pencils, etc. All the stuff that *should* be ready to go, but, well, here in my reality isn't always the case. :tongue_smilie:

Hmm. I felt as you do, so I totally sympathize. And, I ended up putting my K'er in school so I could cope. Now I'll have to do summer school with her, as she's pretty much forgotten how to print! In our case, ps DID NOT do a better job.

:grouphug: its hard. fwiw, one of the approaches i find helps is to get just one thing/child working well, and then add in the next thing/one, creating little groups or packets of activities.

and i always found that working with the littles first satisfied their need for "mom" time, and they could then play well for 20-30 minutes while i taught the elders something. then, i'd do something else with the littles while the elders did seat work, and that was an hour. rinse, repeat.

with the three year old, i would use Before Five in a Row. with the five year old, if you haven't done it, i would use BFIAR or FIAR. there is a bible section for each book, so that would tie it together. then for the five year old, you would add singapore earlybird math, and a learning to read program. and that would be that.

it may be that a change in curriculum is necessary. or even an addition. i used the story of the world on cds in the car. other times, i used it after nap time and everyone listened to it, and then did age appropriate activities. one of ours needs something to do in order to listen, so i'd use the coloring pages in the activity book for her while she listened to the story.

to be continued ;)

ann

The bolded is a problem here. :lol: He simply never *wants* to color but will gladly color the sheets for Bible study, so I'm running with that. He takes great pride in those & since he is lacking in penmanship skills, I want to build hand strength. He's not a fan of playdough although I do insist on 1/2 hour of playdough each week, whether he wants to or not, he knows it's going to happen. :tongue_smilie: He's learned to tolerate it but it's not an activity he asks to do.

I may cut back on the handwriting a bit. 15 minutes includes all the time it takes to take out/put back books, get pencils, etc. All the stuff that *should* be ready to go, but, well, here in my reality isn't always the case. :tongue_smilie:

Aww, I think that's the case in most people's worlds! I tell dh all the time that I can't homeschool properly because I can't find anything! My ds is in ps high school, making straight A's and flourishing. For his last year at home I was lucky to get him to do math! The year before that it was only math, grammar, spelling, and an outside science class. I promise you it will be Okay! Give him some sidewalk chalk, or have him sort small beads or rice or something he does enjoy. None of my kids ever liked to color! Well, except with markers....on walls and furniture! Hang in there, it will get better! :grouphug:

OP, can you actually provide your daily schedule with specifics?

What time do you wake up in the morning? How about each child?

What outside activities do you have on a daily or weekly basis?

What time does DH come home?

What do your weekends look like?

What time does each child go to bed for the night?

When is nap/quiet time?

Etc.

I do think a school would do a better job with my K'er. He would get enrichment activities, more craft time, exposure to more things that I can't get around to because I'm busy with the older kids.

Are you really sure about that? My 4yo goes to public K 3 days a week and lately we have been having issues with him not wanting to go because he says it is boring. They don't do as much fun stuff as you think -a lot of time is spent sitting waiting while the teacher tries to sort out "problem students" (my boy is a quiet, do what he is told kid so he spends a lot of time being ignored or waiting for others to settle down).

On the other hand I sent both my DD and DS to public 4yo Kindy. It doesn't mean you are a failure if you do. It suited their needs at the time. There is no reason you cannot put your K'er into public school for a year and then HS him when he is in 1st grade - it will give you time to get things sorted and take a breather before adding him into the mix.

As for crafts and such - I don't use dedicated school time for crafts (Art yes -craft no). I have a craft table set up with a craft cupboard next to it. The kids are free to go and do craft whenever they want (not painting though :tongue_smilie:). If you really want your K'er to do craft can you set up a craft area and while you are teaching the olders just send him over to craft away ;)

Much of craft at this age consists of cutting things into tiny peices, glueing things to cereal boxes etc etc. All can be done independently. I print out tons of craft ideas from the internet and put them on the table for the kids to complete at will. My kids are always crafting and making things in their spare time and I like them to do it independently as I believe it encourages imagination rather then telling them "Today we are making X" and then having them copy me - I just let them do what they want keeping in mind "it's the process not the product".

I know you will say that if you leave craft stuff out the babies will get into it -I understand - I have a 2 yo that is a master destructro :tongue_smilie: - honestly I just try to ignore it. Yes my 2yo colours on the walls and floors and sticks stickers on the tiles and puts glue all over the table - I just clean it up knowing this won't last forever AND I make sure all the art supplies I buy are washable and non-toxic ;)

You should check out my latest blog entry -it will help you feel you are not alone LOL. My blog is called "Three Messy Kids" for a reason.

Edited by sewingmama

I totally understand! I feel like that most days. :001_huh: If you decide to put your kids in school, it is OK. I personally would put the Ker in school. I do not do well with the k/1st grade stuff. It frustrates me to no end.

I am very tempted to put my own Ker in school. If not for the rest of the year, maybe for next year. I think it would help him to recognize structure and that school is not an option. It would also help him to strengthen those foundational skills like reading, spelling, basic math that I suck at teaching.

In hindsight, I think I should have put him in school for K. So my plan for my DD coming up is to let her go to school for K and then bring her home.

This is just for me, so I don't lose my mind. My personality doesn't do as well with teaching the younger grades. Others prefer to teach the younger grades. It is all in your own make up.

If you really want to keep them all home, you might look into so more independent work for the olders. Teaching Textbooks or CLE come to mind. R&S spelling is fairly independent and cheap! :001_smile: You could also look in to the ACE paces. They are designed to be independent.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Just know that you are not a failure no matter what! :grouphug:

then, i'd just forget calculating how long they need you for. they need you all the time; its how you use the time that matters, kwim?

so once you get five in a row working well for your littles, then you add in the elders.

so then i think it blocks of time. first block of time is math

8:30- 10am is the math block. at 8:30, you do earlybird math with the kindergartner for 15 minutes while the elders have the other two in their rooms to make beds, etc. then, it could even be that the grade 5 reads the five in a row book to the kindergartner and does the activity with them while you teach the grade 2 math. then the grade 2 reads the BFIAR book with the 3 year old and does an activity while you teach the grade 5 math, and the kindergartner plays with pattern blocks. you experiment with what to do with the 1 year old during this time; maybe they play, maybe they listen to story, maybe ??? but in 1.5 hours, you teach math the both older kids and they do their seatwork and they read two the next two and do an activity with them. they will be learning at least as much as their younger siblings.

so now it is 10am and its coffee break time. they watch a magic school bus and have snack while you grab a cup of coffee, mark math, read the welltrainedmind boards, whatever it takes to stay sane.

at 10:30 you do the next 1.5 hour block, this time with language arts. start with a fingerplay/rhyme, etc with the three and five year olds while the elders get their books. set the younger two to playing with playdough or other craft that doesn't require you. teach language arts (grammar, writing, etc) to the older two. then they do their language arts work while you take the baby, toddler and kindergartner out to the backyard to play outside. the elders join you as they finish.

noon: lunch time.

12:15 everyone goes to their rooms for a nap/individual reading for an hour. you, too. at 1:15pm, hopefully the littles are still sleeping, and the elders have finished their reading. they tell you a bit about the story they are reading, and then you do science with them. hopefully, they can then continue science while you get the youngers up.

2 pm when everyone is awake (except maybe the baby?), you put the story of the world cds on, and everyone listens. anyone who wants can have the coloring pages that are in the activity book to color while they listen. then everyone as they are able participates in the activity.

3 pm everyone does one of the five in a row activities together (one day it will be art, another day science, another day geography)

3:30 pm everyone takes a nature walk outside with mom a la charlotte mason.

4:30 back home. time to get dinner ready. if your elders have chores, now is when they do them, each one with one of the littles. if there is music practice, then now is the time for that. when they were younger, i would put on one of the classical music stories (tchaikovsky discovers america, the magic flute, the ring of mystery, etc during chore/indoor play time) you have the remaining little in the kitchen with you.

then its dinner, etc.....

good luck!

ann

Your first post OP is exactly my biggest fear! I only have 3, my 19 month old is the wild tornado. I was beginning to worry that having more children would be impossible with homeschooling the way I wanted to (ie. perfectly!).

I was venting all my fears to my DH one day and he turned to me and simply said 'Children are a gift from the Lord'. It was a breath of fresh air to me...