Menu

Good states to live in?

Washington state offers laid back homeschooling laws (annual letter of intent and annual testing/eval 1 time a year past 3rd grade but the test scores just have to be kept at home, not turned in anywhere). Homeschoolers can access district resources, PT enrollment for labs and band programs and play on sports teams etc. We get about $115 a term for books from the homeschooling resource center, not a lot but it helps and my son can do chess club plus science and art with other homeschoolers.

Parts of the state are more affordable than others. Of course the areas with the best job opportunities tend to be more expensive (but that is the case pretty much everywhere).

Great recreational and nature opportunities.

Low crime overall- I live in the largest city and have never felt any neighborhood was particularly unsafe.

I believe both Seattle and Bellevue have appeared on the best places to raise a family lists.

The weather is a downer for some but for others like me we just appreciate that it is never insanely hot or insanely cold for very long.

In my city we have phenomenal parks and a good library system. Great food options. We enjoy that there is a WNBA team, a baseball team and a pro soccer team. Recently the Seattle Symphony has really improved, lots of great children and family programs.

There are things I don't like here but overall it is not a bad place to be.

Edited by kijipt

Well, the weather in California is great. Where we live is fairly affordable, but unemployment is double the national average (in our area) and the state legislature and our governor are out of control. They think it's more important to pass laws about the type of sheets that hotels can put on beds than what to do about the water issues that are ruining ag in our state and all the other issues that are ruining our economy. I wouldn't live here, but I have to. Family.:001_smile:

Texas. You have lots of choices as far as the kind of weather and geography, and as far as I can tell, the only requirement to homeschool here is to have children. :D

I'd recommend California because it has an excellent homeschool law/court case, but the places that are affordable are not the places *I'd* want to live. :glare:

Delaware has great HS laws and great location... you are 30 min to 2-3 hours from the beach, Philly, Baltimore, DC, NYC, the PA mountains, no sales tax, wide variety of housing costs and options, relatively low crime, and a nice climate (4 seasons, except this year for some reason we forgot winter; we normally do get some snow, but not blistering cold, and summers are warm and sunny, but if you get hot the shore is only so far away). Just about any faith pathway has representation here, and homeschoolers from completely secular to "the Bible Way or the Highway" and Unschoolers to school replica at home and everything along the spectrum between and outside it can be found here. We have a diverse population.

Wilmington has the duPont theater, AI duPont Hospital for Children, a baseball team (Blue Rocks) and you can't trip over a rock in the mid-Atlantic region without being on a field trip to a historical site (Brandywine Battlefield, John Chadd House, Gettysburg, Fort Delaware...)

However, if you wish to bail and head back to PS, you will almost certainly hop over the border into PA or another neighboring state. There is a reason why 18% of students in New Castle County (largest county) are in either a private school or homeschool, according to DOE records; only 50% of special Ed students graduate, and fewer than half of students taking the AP tests in the public high schools pass.

Oklahoma fits the bill as far as affordable and great homeschooling laws (none... HSing is protected by the state constitution). As for great places to live... well, there are a few decent places. You just have to find your niche.

:iagree:

But I think there are great places to live. It just depends on what you want. We live with Tue benefits of a small town - everything close - and a big city - lots to do within an hour drive. You don't has to tell anyone you are homeschooling unless you are removing children from achool...never in school, no one knows your kids exist.

Minnesota. It's gorgeous here, the job situation has improved a lot, and our hsing laws eased up a lot recently and are now quite reasonable. Oh, and I've never lived anywhere here that had an outrageously high cost of living.

We loved our four months in St. Paul. It was beautiful, and we were sorry to leave! We caught the State Fair, and the lighting of the giant tree and the opening of the skating rink at Christmas! What a wonderful city!

Good homeschooling laws?

Affordable?

Nice places to live?

etc...

Just curious. :)

Homeschooling is easy peasy here in Texas. The cost of living is amazing compared to many other states, even near the large cities, which makes finding a job easier. It is actually feasible to be a one income family here, which was not the case in other places we lived or considered living in. I'm not a native Texan, but it's grown on me and I like living here. Lots of friendly people and fun things to do. It's not perfect, but ease of homeschooling and affordability are high on our priority list, so it's a good fit for our family.

I'm partial to the Great Northwet! ;) We moved here when I was almost 13. (Ugh, that would be like 26 years ago... :glare: )

Anyway, I find hs'ing to be pain free here - file my DOI and we do the ITBS every year. No one has ever hassled me about anything.

We have 6 dc on one income and live comfortably. I like the variety of seasons without the extremes. I like being able to go an hour this way and be on a mountain and 90 minutes that way and at the ocean.

I like that my "crunchiness" and AP-ness doesn't raise eyebrows or invoke smirks... mostly. ;)

(I don't know anything at ALL about Montana but I visited there a couple of years ago and fell in love with it, too!)