Menu

"Hunger Games" book for a 13 yo boy? Why or Why not? (Spoilers)

Would you let your 13 yo son read "Hunger Games"? I'd be interested in your reasons.

I just finished reading it & while I found it to be very intriguing & really want to read the sequels, some of the scenes were disturbing (teens killing each other, the one teen getting gored by wolves & screaming for his life & the heroine killing him out of mercy) & I found myself not really wanting my son to read that.

I liked the theme of compassion in the face of horrible circumstances, but still, what awful circumstances!

My son really wants to read it & see the movie. He has heard it talked about by older teens & a few friends his age & says he's curious.

My 13-year-old son just finished reading the series.

Yes, there are disturbing elements. But, to me, the fact that we find them disturbing is integral to the story, which I find a worthwhile one.

There was a long-ish thread recently about the books. Some of the discussion there might be interesting for you: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347472&highlight=hunger+games

My 13-year-old son just finished reading the series.

Yes, there are disturbing elements. But, to me, the fact that we find them disturbing is integral to the story, which I find a worthwhile one.

There was a long-ish thread recently about the books. Some of the discussion there might be interesting for you: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347472&highlight=hunger+games

Thanks so much for the thread! I haven't been here in a long time & missed that discussion!

My dh and my 13 year old ds and 12 year old dd have read the series. He'll probably take them to go see the movie. They are violent and depressing according to dh, but he felt that the older dc were ready to handle them. There are redeeming qualities to the story that outweighed any concerns for those two dc. However, he didn't want our 11 year old ds to read them yet. He's not as much of a reader anyway, but is also more sensitive.

My 13yo dd asked to read all 3 books and after previewing them, I agreed. However, it seems to me that I am more sensitive to the issues in them than she is. So of course, we covered that in the resulting discussions.

I came to the conclusion that the reason I find the books so disturbing is because it tears at me to read stories where the parents are unable to protect and defend their children. OTOH, dd loves to read stories where the intelligent and resourceful children are able to function well independently and rise to whatever the occasion.

Of course, my dd shoots in archery, pistol, rifle, and shotgun competitions, and is about to take her test for her purple belt in a modern self defense/combat style of martial arts. So she isn't exactly a shrinking violet.

I do worry that some children from families who are fearful of the government might find the HG premise very frightening and would be concerned that it could happen to them. I guess I would just caution each parent to preview the books and make their own determination depending on how sensitive a particular child is to those types of themes.

My dd13 didn't read the book all the way through because the concept was so disturbing. I can't imagine how she would have felt if she had actually read the horrible bits. In fact, she dropped out of a homeschool literature class because that was the book they were focusing on and she didn't want anything to do with it. I read the first one recently and while it was a good story, I have no desire to read the sequels because I can't take anymore of that story line.

My ds15 would have been okay reading them at age 13 because he's not sensitive. I'm not sure why that is though. I hesitate to say it's a boy thing because he's not a stereotypical boy in any other fashion. He loves violent video games like shooting zombies and war situations. I really don't think he would be phased by teens killing one another in that type of situation.

However, it seems to me that I am more sensitive to the issues in them than she is.

I came to the conclusion that the reason I find the books so disturbing is because it tears at me to read stories where the parents are unable to protect and defend their children. OTOH, dd loves to read stories where the intelligent and resourceful children are able to function well independently and rise to whatever the occasion.

Sounds like our house. I think we as parents are more sensitive to this type of thing than kids are. Ds has always liked stories with resourceful kids forced to work things out on their own. My Side of the Mountain (all of them) and Hatchet, while very different and not dystopian, were also favorites of his.

Yes, I would. My son read them shortly after he turned 14.

Dystopian fiction is common in the young adult genre, and I think that's a good thing. It allows teens to work through values and difficult choices without it being too close to reality.

:iagree: I feel the same. My dd read it and some other similar stories last year. I think the teen years are really a perfectly good time for them to read/view things you would not have allowed earlier.

I allowed it.

The series is political. It's about a totalitarian regime (think Nazi germany, Romam Forum gladiators, North Korea etc). People don't vote, people are not free. Rebellion is not tolerated. There are many layers to the books, and there is much opportunity for discussion. They are about power, class, identity, wealth. Yes, they are depressing, yes, they are post apocalyptic, yes they are violent (but the people are human- they have fears, they love, they know they are pawns). It is entertaining, as well as creepy, when one tries to determine the various 'districts' on a map of the US.

And yes-- they can keep you up at night. The major players are children; many die. The books, once begun, are often difficult to put down. Some children will try and sneak- read when they are supposed to be doing Algebra.

Take your child, her history background, her senitivities & particular fears, and her ability to discuss politics etc into account as you decide.

Edited by LibraryLover

My Dh, DD12, DD10, and I just finished the series. My kids didn't have any problems with it. The kids and I are now rereading, discussing, and doing projects based on them. The books are great for a literary study. There are Cliffnotes available for free online. One teacher has a blog about teaching the books in her 9th grade classes. She has a lot of good information, suggestions, and lesson plans (that you can buy).

Normally, I wouldn't have read them myself, but two youngest sons were cast as extras in the movie. So, since I will definitely be going to see the movie, I figured I should read them. I found them very compelling. Not fantastic writing, but they drew me in and held me. As someone said in the other thread, there are many layers to the story.

The Middle School Literature Discussion teacher at our co-op wanted to use them last year, but the administration overruled her and said no. Many of the kids read them anyway.

I would say yes. In fact my dd asked me what they were about on Monday during our weekly lunch. I filled her in as best I could without spoiling too much just in case she wanted me to do them as a read aloud. Yes she's 10.5, but couldn't read them herself due to vision issues she's just not able to read at that level yet, but could comprehend them fine if I read them to her.

Then today my 12.7 year old (will be 13 in May) asked me what the third book was about (he's not read any of them) and I looked right at them and said "I guess you'll have to read them to find out" He's never been a big reader, but got really into Percy Jackson, but has recently started to pull back on his reading so I'm trying to encourage him again.

I wouldn't have a problem with either of them reading or hearing them as they both understand it's not a real story, but I also think there are good lessons to be learned from them. My kids aren't very sensitive when it comes to books or movies so that helps.

No.

My ds (13) is sensitive. He read the first Harry Potter book at age 10 but decided to wait until now to read the rest. We're letting him watch the movies now too.

We're going to have him wait until he's a little older for the Hunger games. (My dh and I loved the series, BTW!)

I also waited until ds was 13yo before I let him read the books. He was interested when they first came out but I thought he needed a couple more years of maturity to process the story. He's 13.5yo now and really enjoying the series. He also loved Collins' other series, Gregor the Overlander, and couldn't wait for her to come out with something new.

If you have a logic or rhetoric child doing ancients, I think Hunger Games is good rabbit trail.

But that's me, and I will never claim to be following WTM to the letter.

Another interesteing take on the series is that The Games is a 'reality show'.

It would also be an interesting rabbit trail for Moderns (Fascism, dictatorships etc. Our reality show entertainment etc.) I think it could also be a rabbit trail you plan to have your student read Lord of the Flies or 1984 etc.

Personally, I had a hard time with the books. All 4 of my children loved them.

Edited by LibraryLover

I decided not to suggest it to my 13 year old. If he had checked it out on his own, I would have mentioned the potentially disturbing themes, but let him make the ultimate decision. As it turned out, copies were never available at the library so he only recently saw it at Barnes and Noble. There he read the first chapter and immediately requested it from the library. He is 15 and reads a lot of scifi.

Around age 13 I had a discussion with DS about choosing books from the library. I cautioned him that there were many novels with haunting images and that he should take care not to read disturbing books. He will ask my advice on books and I try to offer my opinion but let him decide.

Yes... but only because you (and I) have read the book(s).

My son is nearly ten, belongs to a book club where he is the youngest. I trust the woman leading the book club and her decisions. She recommended that I read the book with him, instead I read it before him and then talked to him about where he was at, what was happening, what he thought of it, what I thought of it, what he suspected would happen next (and why he thought so), any troubling scenes (he did not like the naked scenes).

I also have enjoyed the conversations we have had about different societies in history and how they compare to Hunger Games.

I believe this a good series. I told my son that if he wanted to read book two, I was fine with that. Book three, we have not discussed, but DH and I have both read all three books and believe that at nine or even ten, the third book is WAY over his head and he would likely find it to be monotonous at this point.

One thing I like about many great books is that we read them at different times in our lives and pull different things from the SAME book. I have some books that I have read 3 or 4 times, at different stages and I find myself going "WOW, I never noticed that theme." or "WOW, how did I miss that?"

I would NOT recommend having your children read this book without your having read them. The storyline is complex and it would be easy for an individual with little life experience to go down the wrong rabbit trail.

It depends on the child, really.

I just want to add something to this discussion because I have nowhere else to really vent. (Sort of OT ranty)

I teach a homeschool literature class to high schoolers, and I'm exhausted and frustrated by many of my students' inabilities to cope with anything that could be "disturbing."

I have 16-year-olds who were so horrified that Rapunzel was pregnant in the earliest incarnations of the fairy tale that they wanted to drop my class. Students who are so easily affected by anything they begged me not to have to finish reading "The Monkey's Paw." High schoolers who claimed that reading a swear word in a piece of literature caused them to "stumble."

I'm not saying that everything is always fine for everyone, but I'm seriously struggling with my group of homeschool students who can't seem to function with ideas beyond "butterflies and happy rainbows."

Please, by high school students should at least have some grasp on reality. At least have them read the newspaper, for goodness sake!

Sorry, OP, but your post snowballed in my head.

Do what you want with your son. My daughter read the first book at 10. She just re-read it, but doesn't want to see the movie. (I do! But I don't have anyone to go with :( ) Know who he is and what he can handle, and prepare him to actually accept that there are difficult things in the world, and that when we learn to deal with them through fiction first, sometimes we can handle them better in reality.

I don't know what these kids in my class will do.

What is the big deal on these books? I have not read them my daughter said she tried and found them to be, "These books are crap that are trying way too hard". She said it seemed like they had taken all kinds of ideas and thoughts from popular books she has read and threw in some gore. I saw some displays at Walmart and the covers do look kind of stupid.

She was a tad bit upset that she had to read one for school too. I am a bit suprised to see so many of your kids reading them. It is very odd to me there is a popular book that she don't like. She is my reader kid and will read anything just to say she did. What do your kids like about them exactly?

What is the big deal on these books? I have not read them my daughter said she tried and found them to be, "These books are crap that are trying way too hard". She said it seemed like they had taken all kinds of ideas and thoughts from popular books she has read and threw in some gore. I saw some displays at Walmart and the covers do look kind of stupid.

She was a tad bit upset that she had to read one for school too. I am a bit suprised to see so many of your kids reading them. It is very odd to me there is a popular book that she don't like. She is my reader kid and will read anything just to say she did. What do your kids like about them exactly?

What did my kids like about them? The story. It is good. Fast paced. Intriguing. Want to know what happens next. Is it what I predicted? (Very possibly not!) Romance. When you add in that they are easy to read, you have real success. Your brain can go on an adventure without too much work. I didn't find them to be all that gory. The ideas were more disturbing than the details given for my family. I enjoyed them myself.

What did my kids like about them? The story. It is good. Fast paced. Intriguing. Want to know what happens next. Is it what I predicted? (Very possibly not!) Romance. When you add in that they are easy to read, you have real success. Your brain can go on an adventure without too much work. I didn't find them to be all that gory. The ideas were more disturbing than the details given for my family. I enjoyed them myself.

Well, I will just have to chalk it up that she won't enjoy reading everything that other kids her age is reading lol! I had just found it so odd she acted like that about a book especially since it seems to be the big thing right now.

Well, I will just have to chalk it up that she won't enjoy reading everything that other kids her age is reading lol! I had just found it so odd she acted like that about a book especially since it seems to be the big thing right now.

I have one dd who refuses to like anything that is popular. She has decided that if the masses like it, it just be cr@p. :tongue_smilie: But, not everyone likes everything. There is more than one book that everyone seems to like that has left me:confused:

I let my ten year old read them. I made the decision when I read the first two but if I had read all three, I would have held off. They do get progressively darker and I would recommend reading all three before you decide. Still, by 13, I personally would allow it.