Menu

Slate Article: Why Liberals Shouldn't Home School

The same old tired argument: I should send my kids to school so that they can improve demographics for the remaining students. I should put up with the substandard education for the benefit of the greater common good. No, thanks. Been there, tried it, did not work out.

It is incorrect that only affluent upper middle class families homeschool. I live in a small rural town, and many families in our secular, liberal leaning homeschool group are quite poor. They make the choice to homeschool and accept a low material standard of living because homeschooling is more important to them than the second income from a fulltime job. They are economically on the same page as a Christian homeschooling family with a SAHM.

It is also incorrect that only SAHMs can homeschool. Many mothers in our group actually work: in the evenings, at part time jobs, in their own business. Among the liberal homeschooling moms in our group are child birth educators, doulas, ceramic artists, petsitters, adult education teachers, part time college instructors, house cleaners, nurses. (If anything, the portion of mothers working outside the home may even be larger among liberals, because there is no religious obligation for mothers to stay home.)

I fail to see what the article has to do with liberalism.

I also fail to see what attachment parenting and breastfeeding have to do with liberalism - must conservative mothers bottle feed and let their babies cry?

Also, apparently because some parents can't homeschool, no one should. I happen to agree that homeschooling isn't the best choice for every family...but it also isn't the wrong choice for every family.

Taylor admits that “[m]any people, liberal and conservative alike, are deeply offended by critiques of compulsory schooling.” I suppose I am one of them. I benefited from 13 years of public education in one of the most diverse and progressive school districts in the United States.

How many kids actually live in one of the most diverse and progressive school districts in the United States? Just like not every parent has the option to homeschool, not every parent has the option of awesome public schools. Even if they did, the fact that some people have benefited from awesome schools doesn't mean everyone must attend them...

Meh... I heard pretty much the same thing out of the mouths of conservative preachers in the 80's. Only, the mantra was, "Your kids need to be in public schools to be a witness to the other kids!" or "Don't pull your kids out of public schools, because your children need to be there to help the other kids! That's the Christian thing to do."

Pretty much the same thing...just a different label.

I think that I don't really support his conclusion or think he's gone very deep in thinking about the points he has made.

But I think that some of the points were worthwhile. As a criticism of the book he was talking about apparently advocating everyone homeschool, I think it is correct to point out that as public policy it just doesn't answer. In a society that is being governed to produce a particular kind of household and community as the norm, homeschooling can't answer for a large portion of the population.

Most of the other observations to me are about the nature of our communities, and whether the increase in homeschooling, particularly among so-called progressives, represents some kind of fracture in the community beyond just bad public schools.

I don't think he really addresses that question with much finesse, but I do think that the question itself is probably an accurate insight.

I'm only a part-time liberal... but I hate the way progressives think that the government should do *everything* and that we owe the government in the same way we owe our communities. I think the government should do many things but that doesn't mean they have to do everything. The community around me still has a huge role in educating my kids, just not through a school building.

This struck me as the most preposterous statement of them all in the article:

Moreover, being your child’s everything—her parent, teacher, baby-sitter, and afterschool program coordinator—requires a massive outlay of labor.

This misses how much more efficient homeschooling is that we replace all those people. Honestly, sometimes homeschooling is tiring, but so is parenting, so is working, so is teaching school, so is LIFE. I don't find that it's somehow *more* tiring. Nor am I my kid's "everything." We get babysitters sometimes. We utilize community nonprofits that teach music, art, and so forth.

Oh, wait, maybe this statistic was more preposterous...

More than 70 percent of mothers with children under the age of 18 are in the workforce.

Some of those people *are* homeschoolers! Some are there by choice too. It's just a false argument, as if every one of those 70% represents a mother who absolutely cannot homeschool.

These articles always seem to affirm my suspicion/observation that PS is usually far more about indoctrination than education.

How many kids actually live in one of the most diverse and progressive school districts in the United States?

I don't see how diverse & progressive = quality education?

I know someone in N CA who homeschools because her local schools are so "progressive" they don't even require correct spelling. The teacher told her that marking things wrong would hurt the students' self-esteem.

FWIW, my brother told me that he's "too liberal" to homeschool, so I suppose he's not alone.

A friend of mine sent this to me. I'm not a progressive though, so I thought maybe some of the progressives here might be able to give better insight on it: Liberals, Don't Home School Your Kids.

That's not a very "progressive" progressive view. Otherwise, I agree with other posters that it is not worth my time.

Edited by mamajag
missing word

He should have talked to some homeschoolers before running his head.

Ha! They won't talk to other homeschoolers because they know we would poke so many holes in any theory or idea they have that they wouldn't be able to write anything negative. They just can't have that!

I am not a liberal, but curiosity got the better of me and I then I had to post...

Ultimately it is the same argument the religious right has heard. They should sacrifice their kids to the establishment in order to bring the Gospel to the poor under served children of the world.

:iagree:

I have heard this quite a bit. People have said as much to me.

He should have talked to some homeschoolers before running his head.

He should have talked to Mrs Mungo.:001_smile:

What is it about homeschooling that draws the false dichotomy people out of the wood works?

There is no real dichotomy for this one...so false it is.:lol:

WHY do people think homeschoolers aren't racially and economically diverse? Do they think minorities don't homeschool? Or that we're less racially diverse than private schools? Don't they know that NO group of folks can stretch a dime like homeschoolers? And WHY do they think nobody works?

If you live in a diverse community, you see diversity in homeschooling. If you live in a homogeneous community, the homeschoolers will be more alike. Same for your local schools. Doesn't this come own to where you choose to live???

How many kids actually live in one of the most diverse and progressive school districts in the United States? Just like not every parent has the option to homeschool, not every parent has the option of awesome public schools.

:iagree: While the school district I went to back in the late 70s and early 80s wasn't diverse, it was educationally great. I learned how to think. I learned the foundations (and more) of several subjects. I was well prepared for both college and life. I suspect the author's experience was similar. Had my only experience come from that school, I'd think y'all were crazy for wanting to homeschool.

Then we moved. Then I started working in the local school district (13 years ago now). This school district would be considered average. We're semi-rural, so don't have many of the "problems" of inner city schools - our technology and buildings are good, etc., but the academics stink and our testing scores reflect that. In a department meeting two afternoons ago I saw data that showed we don't have a chance of passing state standards in math again this year, and therefore, will have a state takeover (whatever that means) next year.

The students at this school are equally as capable as those I grew up with, but they just don't have the opportunities at this school for the same level of education. It pains me considerably.

It's why we chose to pull ours out when my oldest reached high school and I have no regrets.

It's also why I have many worried moments about my youngest who insists on being at this school. I do what I can to supplement his actual education.

Then, remember this school is AVERAGE. It's below my "bar" for academics. There are approximately 45 - 50% of schools "worse" than what I'm experiencing now.

I worry about the future of our country to be honest. I feel for students who are capable of so much, but are stuck in schools (public, private, or homeschooling) where they aren't able to reach their potential academically. I may not even have been able to give my own guys enough to reach their potential, but it sure beat the alternative through ps.

This author needs to get out more and work in more public high schools. I feel that's true of most public school advocates in "higher places." They went to good schools and assume their experience is typical. It probably is for those who "made it" academically to their level. It's just not the majority experience as I've found out.

Also, apparently because some parents can't homeschool, no one should. I happen to agree that homeschooling isn't the best choice for every family...but it also isn't the wrong choice for every family.

How many kids actually live in one of the most diverse and progressive school districts in the United States? Just like not every parent has the option to homeschool, not every parent has the option of awesome public schools. Even if they did, the fact that some people have benefited from awesome schools doesn't mean everyone must attend them...

:iagree: completely with this! NOT every kid lives in a great or even good school district. Some areas have NO choice in schooling. It is the substandard PS, or the substandard $$$$$private school....or homeschool. Choice made.

That article....:tongue_smilie: same song...different verse.

Faithe

I feel for students who are capable of so much, but are stuck in schools (public, private, or homeschooling) where they aren't able to reach their potential academically.

I think that schools need to stop offering huge menus of classes to kids and focus on teaching a few subjects right. I don't think that high school students need to have psychology and philosophy classes or even have their choice of four different foreign languages. I think they need to have the basics taught excellently.

Imo, and what I think a lot of people either forget or don't agree with in the first place, what kids are learning is secondary to how kids are learning. I follow TWTM fairly closely, and I honestly think that kids can be excellently educated without learning Latin or or logic. I think the idea of studying subjects in a grammar, logic, and rhetoric progression is the key to teaching kids how to think and learn and this, in turn, is how to produce educated citizens.

I'm never very worried when I hear that schools don't have Smartboards and a computer for each child. Those things are not necessary to produce well-educated kids. What is necessary is a focus on learning the fundamentals well. Too many schools neglect that, which is why industry and college professors complain that even kids who graduated with high GPAs from the "best" public schools in the country are still inadequately prepared for college and careers.

If teachers teach fewer classes but teach them well, and if students learn fewer subjects but learn them well, I think students will be in a better position educationally. I have been a long-time advocate of "cut the fluff."

As to diversity, I think it's an over-rated concept. I grew up in white-bread rural America. We had two kids of color in my elementary school: Cambodian refugees who joined the school when I was in third grade. I was not in daily, weekly, or even monthly contact with people who were not like me. But my parents taught me to respect and appreciate all kinds of people and cultures. In contrast, when I got to high school (and now that my oldest dd is in high school), what I experienced was the different groups of kids segregated themselves. Although my high school was more diverse, we were not all holding hands and singing Kumbaya.

Yet I somehow managed to produce a multi-ethnic family.

Tara

Another funny thing is that in the comments someone pointed out the author is quoting a Stanford professor named Reich and giving him the title of former labor secretary Reich, when they're two different people with the same name.

This has since been corrected but it shows how sloppy the research was.

Correction, Feb. 16, 2012: This article originally misidentified the author of a report on homeschooling. It was the political scientist Rob Reich, not the former labor secretary Robert Reich.

Edited by stripe

I think that schools need to stop offering huge menus of classes to kids and focus on teaching a few subjects right. I don't think that high school students need to have psychology and philosophy classes or even have their choice of four different foreign languages. I think they need to have the basics taught excellently.

Yes, yes, yes!

Nothing new there. Same old tired, unsubstantiated arguments.

Homeschooling is bad. Public schools are good.

Blah, blah, blah.

I'm not even going to bother refuting the points in the article. It's not worth my time.

:iagree: I started to read the comments and found myself just getting angry. So not worth it you know?

:iagree: I started to read the comments and found myself just getting angry. So not worth it you know?

:iagree: Another article written by someone who assumes they know everything about public schools and homeschooling, but likely don't even have any children. I'm a PS supporter and don't think homeschool is for everyone. Not to mention I definitely fall on the liberal end of the spectrum. But my oldest went to 2 years of PS and it definitely did not work for him. At all. He literally learned nothing other than how to be quiet in a group.

Sadly, the author's position is not unusual. I frequent a progressive site where I can discuss current events with politically like-minded people. There are a few of there who homeschool and we have to counter that argument about every other month.

Real liberals don't care about fixing broken systems. Real liberals believe in finding a new way, a way that *works* and doing that.

I find all these articles about how people should do x, y or z to be rather tiresome. Don't circumcize! Don't vaccinate! Use cloth diapers! Don't sleep with the baby in the same bed as you! Don't let your baby cry it out! Don't let your kids watch tv! Don't eat soy! Don't talk to strangers! Skip church today and burn in hell forever! Don't this, don't that.

I must be getting old.

And I am so tired of reading about how homeschooling leaves kids unexposed to anyone but "mommy." (Why is the term "mommy" only used to insult, anyway?)

Can't people do something other than boss others around? Why not advocate for the end of private schools? Why doesn't that offend someone's sensibilities? There are more private school students anyway. Or charter schools. How are they less elitist than homeschooling?

Real liberals don't care about fixing broken systems. Real liberals believe in finding a new way, a way that *works* and doing that.

I thought it was just the right-wing that equated progressives with communists. :p Progressives just want a fair deal for ALL (not just the wealthy or powerful), not to sacrifice their children to the "greater good".

Plus I loved the passive-agressive bit about being all for women sacrificing their lives to being a wife and mother. :lol: I mean, are homeschooling mothers martyrs or selfish? Make up your mind!

For a kick, I'm reading the comments. Hey, it's Friday.

I'm enjoying this one. "What's unfortunate is that today's "helicopter parents" care so much about coddling / protecting / nurturing their children, that they fail to realize that the ultimate goal of raising a child is to have the child be successful and self-sufficient as an adult. Yes, at times it really stinks to be forced to sit in a school room for 6 hours a day, and try to meet and exceed pre-set and general expectations. Unfortunately, that is basically life, and has been since the dawn of civilization."

Since the dawn of civilization there has been industrialized education? That person must have had history in the public school.

I submit that articles about homeschooling should be introduced with this poll, to be answered by the author.

I believe homeschooling is like:

1. Groovy. Now kids let's take of our shoes and walk in the grass and smell the flowers. We'll do this all day.

2. Praise Jesus! Now kids let's get out your bibles and we'll pray and do our entire day with the word of the Lord.

At least then we'd know which stereotype they believe. :tongue_smilie:

:party: Thank you for that! So sick of people thinking inside the box and assuming everyone and everything needs to do everything the same, like choosing how to educate their children. How about assuming everyone knows their own situation best and having some tolerance?

I keep reading these articles that try to persuade us that parental involvement in the schools will improve the schools. I have finally come to the conclusion that these articles are written by people who have never had children in schools. In my experience and based on stories from friends who have more experience than I, I have come to the conclusion that most schools don't want input from parents on what should be taught or any other aspect of how their institution is run. The entire argument of more kids returned to public schools and more parental participation is a red herring. They only want parents to support what they do and make sure homework gets done. And to support fundraising efforts.

I suppose that is a negative attitude on my part but I haven't been persuaded otherwise.

As to diversity, I think it's an over-rated concept. I grew up in white-bread rural America. We had two kids of color in my elementary school: Cambodian refugees who joined the school when I was in third grade. I was not in daily, weekly, or even monthly contact with people who were not like me. But my parents taught me to respect and appreciate all kinds of people and cultures. In contrast, when I got to high school (and now that my oldest dd is in high school), what I experienced was the different groups of kids segregated themselves. Although my high school was more diverse, we were not all holding hands and singing Kumbaya.

Tara

My experience exactly, except there were no minorities in my elementary school, and only a handful of kids of color in my high school. And yet, everyone still self-segregated, based on socio-economic class and educational goals. None of this experience caused me to give even a passing 2nd thought to marrying someone from another ethnic, cultural and religious background.

I don't believe my children are exposed to any less 'diversity" as homeschoolers than they would in our local public schools. Both communities reflect the reality of where we live.

In my experience and based on stories from friends who have more experience than I, I have come to the conclusion that most schools don't want input from parents on what should be taught or any other aspect of how their institution is run. The entire argument of more kids returned to public schools and more parental participation is a red herring. They only want parents to support what they do and make sure homework gets done.

That has been 100% true in my experience. All of my dd17's schools (she has been in three; one closed, and then she moved from middle school to high school) have been all rah-rah about parental involvement, but as soon as we have criticized anything they do or made suggestions for different ways of doing things, we have been tuned out.

Teachers know best, remember. They have college degrees in teaching! And besides, with the large numbers of kids with which schools are dealing, crowd control is a big issue.

Tara

Imo, and what I think a lot of people either forget or don't agree with in the first place, what kids are learning is secondary to how kids are learning. I follow TWTM fairly closely, and I honestly think that kids can be excellently educated without learning Latin or or logic. I think the idea of studying subjects in a grammar, logic, and rhetoric progression is the key to teaching kids how to think and learn and this, in turn, is how to produce educated citizens.

I'm never very worried when I hear that schools don't have Smartboards and a computer for each child. Those things are not necessary to produce well-educated kids. What is necessary is a focus on learning the fundamentals well. Too many schools neglect that, which is why industry and college professors complain that even kids who graduated with high GPAs from the "best" public schools in the country are still inadequately prepared for college and careers.

If teachers teach fewer classes but teach them well, and if students learn fewer subjects but learn them well, I think students will be in a better position educationally. I have been a long-time advocate of "cut the fluff."

Tara

I quote JenniferB in saying, "I puffy heart love this post!"

I probably shouldn't share this at risk of being slammed but I couldn't help but laugh.

Hubby walked by and casually asked what I was doing. I respond, "Oh, just looking at an article titled Why Liberals Shouldn't Home School."

His response = "Because they would have to pay for an education and materials they already can access for free?"

He is not progressive....

I probably shouldn't share this at risk of being slammed but I couldn't help but laugh.

Hubby walked by and casually asked what I was doing. I respond, "Oh, just looking at an article titled Why Liberals Shouldn't Home School."

His response = "Because they would have to pay for an education and materials they already can access for free?"

He is not progressive....

So, you should be able to slander liberals without being slammed yourself? I would write a comment that I found vastly amusing, but I wouldn't want to "slam" you.

I made the mistake of reading some of the comments on the Slate website. I wonder why so many people care so much how we educate our children? I'm not a fan of schools but I don't go around writing articles or making nasty comments about why people shouldn't send their kids to school. I think people should make whatever choice they think is best, and it's really none of my business.

Tara

I submit that articles about homeschooling should be introduced with this poll, to be answered by the author.

I believe homeschooling is like:

1. Groovy. Now kids let's take of our shoes and walk in the grass and smell the flowers. We'll do this all day.

2. Praise Jesus! Now kids let's get out your bibles and we'll pray and do our entire day with the word of the Lord.

At least then we'd know which stereotype they believe. :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol:

I don't even bother responding to articles like this anymore. Last time another commenter refused to even acknowledge me as a homeschooler because I don't do everything from scratch. Even worse, we reserve the right to use resources outside of the home. :ohmy: He simply couldn't comprehend the difference between handpicking outside resources and sending a child to school outright, while (of course) simultaneously arguing that it was impossible for homeschooling parents to manage to "teach" everything themselves. :001_rolleyes: