Menu

s/o What Book/s did you consider a waste of your time?

This is a spin off from the "Favorite Book" thread.

So which books did you read almost or all the way through and then considered it a waste of your time?

I usually give up on a book I can't really stand so most of the ones here were Book Club reads which I felt obligated to finish:

The Shack - badly written book with sketchy theology.

Portrait of a Lady - I wanted to like this one... it's a "classic".

Memory Keeper's Daughter - ugh. Too contrived with thin characters.

Elegance of the Hedgehog - everyone seemed to like this book and I kept thinking "it will get better in the end", but it didn't. :glare:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also book club books for me, because otherwise I just give up.

The one that was the biggest -ugh- I can't remember the name....it was a very psychologically odd memoir....oh, it was weird. Kid went to live with his psychologist....very s-xually strange.....why can't I think of the name???

Another one, again, can't think of the name...it was one of those in the style where it's told from several narrator's point of view, and kept hopping from one story to the other, about a little town and a war....like a greek island or something I think......I enjoyed the stories from the little town but all the war bits I wanted to skip.

Gee, I'm really no good at remembering names of books I hated, LOL!!!

I read "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman recently. I've never read such a bunch of slapped-together empty characterization and meaningless plot twists in my life. Throw together a soap opera, first-person-shooter video game, bad Halloween costumery, and healthy doses of cardboard, and you'd have "Neverwhere".

I read the book because the kids really like the movie "Coraline", and I read good things about Neil Gaiman here. Now I'm debating whether to give "American Gods" a try, which I bought at the same time.

I know I'm the only one, but I HATED The Time Traveler's Wife - I actually liked it until I got to the ending, but honestly that was such a horrible ending it put me off the whole thing.

My husband tried to get me to read The Years of Rice and Salt, after multiple attempts I just gave up. I got about halfway through.

There are others, but I can't remember. Usually if I read something awful I download something from the 1850s on my Kindle to wipe the modern horror from my brain. Right now I'm reading Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell, beats the heck out of anything I've read written in the last 50 years.

The one that was the biggest -ugh- I can't remember the name....it was a very psychologically odd memoir....oh, it was weird. Kid went to live with his psychologist....very s-xually strange.....why can't I think of the name???

Another one, again, can't think of the name...it was one of those in the style where it's told from several narrator's point of view, and kept hopping from one story to the other, about a little town and a war....like a greek island or something I think......I enjoyed the stories from the little town but all the war bits I wanted to skip.

Haha! You need to look at GoodReads. It's a great place to keep track of your books. Good and bad.

Your first one is "Running with Scissors." August? Augusten? Burroughs? I agree, it was weird--and actually pretty dark. Which I think was the point, attempting to make entertainment out of experiences which should have been (and probably at many times were) horrific.

Sorry, no help on your second book. :D

I read "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman recently. I've never read such a bunch of slapped-together empty characterization and meaningless plot twists in my life. Throw together a soap opera, first-person-shooter video game, bad Halloween costumery, and healthy doses of cardboard, and you'd have "Neverwhere".

I read the book because the kids really like the movie "Coraline", and I read good things about Neil Gaiman here. Now I'm debating whether to give "American Gods" a try, which I bought at the same time.

Read "American Gods." It's a different creature altogether. I really liked it...actually, and I'm probably in the minority here, I think "American Gods" is my favorite Gaiman novel.

I wasted a lot of time reading half of the first novel in Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle ("Quicksilver"). I really love Stephenson ("Anathem" is one of my all-time favorites), but ugh. Just ugh. The premise is ok, but sheesh. It has to be the most cumbersome thing I've ever tried to plow through.

I'll agree with others on "The Shack." Bleh. I also can't get into "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell." I will guiltily admit that I have read all of the Sookie Stackhouse novels and, while I do consider them an absolute waste of time, I can't claim to have not enjoyed them. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by BrookValley

For whatever reason I read The Great Gatsby about 5 times. It's like every lit class I ever took in junior high, high, and college required the book. I now officially hate this book and I cringe when I think about it.

:lol: You know what book is like that for me? The Iliad! For some reason, our school district thought the gifted/talented kids should read it for two straight years in middle school. Then I took Latin and translated it in high school. ACK, NO MORE ILIAD FOR ME EVER.

I haven't even read The Shack, or Twilight or any Jodi Piccoult so I guess I've already given up before trying. :tongue_smilie:

One that I tried and stopped was recommended here a long time ago--the Amelia Peabody series. I found the main character annoying and could not go on.

Recently I tried the audio version of The Bourne Identity. I loved the movies so I thought I'd give the book a try, but after a couple hours I decided didn't enjoy the book nearly so much. But now I wonder if the movie producers made Bourne a more likeable hero than the books did.

It's like when I saw the original Thomas Crowne Affair movie. I'd already seen the more recent one with Pierce Brosnan and enjoyed that one, so I wanted to see the original with Steve McQueen. I hated the original! The McQueen character was such a jerk. The remake made TC a more clever and likeable character.

Tangent over. There aren't too many books I don't get through, but lately I mostly listen to them on audiobook so I can knit and "read" at the same time. :D

:lol: So true!! I did two book clubs and that was more than enough for me. I got so tired of wasting my time with other people's bad choices.

:lol: I haven't been in a book club and you all aren't convincing me to join one. Anyway, I don't think I know enough people who actually read books. :001_unsure:

In the past, Catcher in the Rye and Hood (Stephen Lawhead).

Recently, Black/Red/White - Ted Dekker's Circle series. Thought the story idea was great but his writing wavers from stupidly sappy to mindless repetition. His characterization of God was embarrasing at times - as though he'd been reading too much John Eldridge. Poor guy seemed to really WANT to write a 4 book cycle but just didn't have enough real story to fill the space. Couldn't force myself to read Green.

Edited by Susan in TN

Your first one is "Running with Scissors." August? Augusten? Burroughs? I agree, it was weird--and actually pretty dark. Which I think was the point, attempting to make entertainment out of experiences which should have been (and probably at many times were) horrific.

Sorry, no help on your second book. :D

YES!!! Oh, it was horrid!!

I think you are exactly right, the grotesque sort of humor applied to these truly horrific scenes.....ick.

I can handle dark content, when it is dealt with in a ...respectful? appropriate?... manner, but this was just....ICK.

For whatever reason I read The Great Gatsby about 5 times. It's like every lit class I ever took in junior high, high, and college required the book. I now officially hate this book and I cringe when I think about it.

I told my kids if they want to read it they are on their own, we won't be covering it EVER. :D

I can't think of anything else. I like to read most things.

:iagree: I hate Gatsby too, and I think I only had to read it twice. My sil, a lit prof., loves teaching Gatsby. I just don't see it.

Other than that, the most recent book I disliked was Life of Pi.

There have been many, many others. Apparently I'm pretty critical about books. I'd never join a book club, but I do have a friend that has similar tastes in sci/fi fantasy so we recommend and discuss books which is wonderful. I also have another friend that I read non-fiction books with. I'd rather have a few people whose opinion I trust to share books with.

In no particular order:

Gone with the wind.

Tristram Shandy.

Woolf anything.

Faulkner anything.

Coelho anything.

The Secret. :lol: (I was bored out of my mind so I tried even that.)

Most of those self-help stuff one comes across a lot, as it is typically pseudo-intellectual psychobabble with zero actual content (I positively loathe that type of books and consider them a waste of paper.)

Edited by Ester Maria

I could not finish IQ84 and it was only partly because of the book's size! Ugh. The author has a real boob fetish--I mean, I got to hear about the breasts and n*pples of every female character, how their chests look in the top they're wearing, etc. LOL A little ridiculous...not sure anyone else would notice that but I did.

It dragged on and on, yet was compelling enough to keep going for a while...but eventually aspects of the plot bugged me enough to stop. I wish I'd just skipped ahead to the last few chapters, now that I think about it. It seems as if wordiness automatically = literary talent nowadays; I felt like this was one insanely long, somewhat interesting dream about which the author wanted to share every unnecessary detail and passing thought. It wasn't hard to understand, I just got lost in there. LOL

Edited by 6packofun

Recently, Black/Red/White - Ted Dekker's Circle series. Thought the story idea was great but his writing wavers from stupidly sappy to mindless repetition. His characterization of God was embarrasing at times - as though he'd been reading too much John Eldridge. Poor guy seemed to really WANT to write a 4 book cycle but just didn't have enough real story to fill the space. Couldn't force myself to read Green.

While I don't HATE the Circle series, it certainly wasn't great. I finally forced myself to read Green and that was a complete waste of time. In fact, the past 3-4 Ted Dekker novels that I have read, I have disliked. Skin was especially bad.

I agree with the Twilight series as well. Oddly enough, the story for the first 3 books was enough to keep me reading, but the last one was horrible. After it was all said and done, I can't say that I really enjoyed the series and that I felt I had lost a few million brain cells. Stephanie Meyer really needs to learn that people can actually talk and not mumble or murmur all the time.

I am about to finish The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. While I love murder mysteries, I can't help be feel like I need some brain bleach after this one. Interesting, yes, but mostly just disturbing. I won't be reading the next two in the series. This is how I feel about James Patterson's Alex Cross books as well.

There are many books I start but don't bother to finish because I don't like them. (Twilight & Hunger Games come to mind in this category for me. In fact, Twilight is the book I love to hate.)

Of books that I managed to finish, I really, really disliked...

Perfume by Patrick Suskind (the most ridiculous ending ever; I *loathed* this book)

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (ugh -- totally did not like this book, even after various people had told me that it was the 'best novel ever written')

The Egyptologist by Arthur Phillips (book club book; another one w/ a completely ridiculous ending -- what a waste of paper)

anything by Margaret Atwood that I've tried (I know she's a revered & loved author but I just can't get into her writing style)

So bad I can't remember the name. I read it for my book club, or I would have tossed it in the fire. Big fat book about an abusive guy and catherdral buidling in the middle ages...or something. 1000 pages about absolutely nothing. Beautiful woman, nice guy, evil guy. That's all I remember. I stopped going to that book group when they announced the next novel would be a Jodi Picoult.

So bad I can't remember the name. I read it for my book club, or I would have tossed it in the fire. Big fat book about an abusive guy and catherdral buidling in the middle ages...or something. 1000 pages about absolutely nothing. Beautiful woman, nice guy, evil guy. That's all I remember. I stopped going to that book group when they announced the next novel would be a Jodi Picoult.

I think you mean "The Pillars of the Earth". Ugh. I didn't like that one either.

A few more I thought of that I didn't like:

"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho

"The Hours" by Michael Cunningham (another book club book)

"The Nanny Diaries" by Emma McLaughlin

"Empress of the Splendid Season" by Oscar Hijuelos

"A Horse of Air" by Dal Stivens

"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold (book club book; another one I loathed)

So which books did you read almost or all the way through and then considered it a waste of your time?

I usually give up on a book I can't really stand so most of the ones here were Book Club reads which I felt obligated to finish:

Elegance of the Hedgehog - everyone seemed to like this book and I kept thinking "it will get better in the end", but it didn't. :glare:

The Shack was the first book that came to mind when I saw your Subject.

Also one about a time traveller. I forget the exact name.

ETA The Time Traveller's Wife. It had such good promise. But by the end. Blech!

The Twilight Series.

Ugh. And it came so highly recommended, too.

But really. How ridiculous.

I never read any of these, but I saw excerpts online. Wow.

They had shockingly bad writing and grammar. I could not believe they had been through an editorial process, unless the editors were a team of drunk monkeys.

Someday historians will point to those books as evidence of the fall of Western civilization. ;)

Ugh. Portrait of a Lady. I started that three or four times before FORCING myself to finish. Blech. It just didn't go anywhere.

I wasted a lot of time reading half of the first novel in Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle ("Quicksilver"). I really love Stephenson ("Anathem" is one of my all-time favorites), but ugh. Just ugh. The premise is ok, but sheesh. It has to be the most cumbersome thing I've ever tried to plow through.

Hey! Someone else who liked Anathem! Loved that book! :D

One that I couldn't even finish was Wicked. Another Blech.

They had shockingly bad writing and grammar. I could not believe they had been through an editorial process, unless the editors were a team of drunk monkeys.

Someday historians will point to those books as evidence of the fall of Western civilization. ;)

:iagree: :lol: (And don't even get me started on all the reasons I hate the book Twilight!)

The Twilight Series.

Ugh. And it came so highly recommended, too.

But really. How ridiculous.

Oh, man. My 13yo cousin from another state visited us over the summer, and when we stopped by the bookstore she wanted to get that. Her other cousin had recommended it to her.

I told her no way, I would buy her nearly any other book she picked out, but she was not paying money for Twilight.

The first one that came to mind when I read the thread title was Screamfree Parenting. I'm not a screamer, but someone loaned it to me and said the author had some great ideas. I never found them. It's all about how great it is to stay absolutely calm all the time. Okay ... but how do you do that? It was a waste of paper.

I know I'm the only one, but I HATED The Time Traveler's Wife - I actually liked it until I got to the ending, but honestly that was such a horrible ending it put me off the whole thing.

You are not alone. I detested that book from start to finish.

I also did not enjoy The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Anything by Jodi Picoult

While I don't HATE the Circle series, it certainly wasn't great. I finally forced myself to read Green and that was a complete waste of time. In fact, the past 3-4 Ted Dekker novels that I have read, I have disliked. Skin was especially bad.

Green seemed like a rehash of the other three circle books with a little bit of story thrown in. I know what you mean though - enjoyed many of his earlier books. Don't know what happened. Seemed like the writing changed with his latest books. Then he started releasing with another author. They were okay.

One I really disliked "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire. Just left an icky taste in my mouth.

Catcher in the Rye- I read it when I was 17 or so and I just wanted to slap him silly.

The Bell Jar-I really wanted the 3 hours I spent reading this back.

Thursday Next series and I tried really hard. Loved the premise, but just couldn't get into it.

The Secret History

How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents. I was surprised by this, I'd loved every Julia Alvarez book I'd read until this one.

Other than that, the most recent book I disliked was Life of Pi.

:iagree: I couldn't get into that one.

I didn't even get halfway through The Shack.

I admire those of you who finish books you don't like, just because you are in a book club. I abandon the book, and then skip the group. I miss my friends, but just can't make it through some books. :tongue_smilie:

I told my kids if they want to read it they are on their own, we won't be covering it EVER. :D

I can't think of anything else. I like to read most things.

That's how I feel about Madame Bovary! ACK!

I only read the first Twilight book- that was enough for me.

I started reading The Book Thief because people raved about it, but I couldn't even get through 50 pages.