Menu

So what is your absolute favorite curriculum that you wish you had found earlier?

DeaconsGarden

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even know if some of these "count"!

Singapore math WITH HIGs!!! Before the HIG and Knowing and Teaching Mathematics I was so lost and overwhelmed. My kids have jumped almost 4 grade levels in math this year!

Knowing and Teaching Mathematics

SOTW

TOG

AAS (Hands down awesomeness)

OPGTR

TPR French (method, not really "curriculum")

The Charlotte Mason Companion

MUS Alpha

MEP Math

I have a love/hate relationship with RightStart Math. Great for only children or big gaps, but hard to do with many kids at different levels.

Things I wish I found sooner:

--Singpore's Challenging Word Problems (CWP)

--Mark Kistler's online drawing lessons

--Faber's Piano Adventures

--Winning With Writing

--The Complete Book of Maps and Geography

--The geography chapter of The Core (Bortins)

These are just plain favorites:

--CHOW

--A Child's Geography of the World (Hillyer)

--Horizons Math

--BFSU

--100EZ

I wish we would have started Apples & Pears last year. It didn't make sense to me and I loved AAS. But it works so much better for my DD.

I also wish I would have started HWT cursive earlier. She writes so much nicer in cursive than in print.

With all the above praise, I am keeping my fingers crossed about CLE math.

Math Mammoth. Ds had zero retention and couldn't transfer hs skills to real life with MCP Math. I thought he wasn't adept at math, but it turns out he's at least an average student. MM is the way I wish I'd been taught math and the way our brains work :)

Other stuff we dig:

Mike Venezia's Art and Music books

SOTW

Singapore MPH Science

Poetry for Young People series

Rosetta Stone

PLL

BFSU

WWE

Edited by sagira

I wish I had discovered/read TWTM last year in July when I first thought about pulling DD out of prep/k and homeschooling her.

I just started OPGTR a few weeks ago and DD is devouring this like it is chocolate. Wish we had it last year.

Mathematics Power Learning for Children (Prof. B Math) - I found it not long after finally ending my math curriculum research and committing to Math Mammoth. If I had have found it before, I wouldn't have invested in MM.

... I haven't heard of that one; I'll check it out.

-- a bit off-topic, but only a bit: did you stop using the Modern Speller? I found it via your siggie and LOVE it.

my late finds:

The Modern Speller (free Google book, it's public domain)

MEP math, which we're piggybacking onto MathUSee.

Calculadder for math drill. Though we probably couldn't have used it, just writing-mechanics-wise, much earlier.

... I haven't heard of that one; I'll check it out.

-- a bit off-topic, but only a bit: did you stop using the Modern Speller? I found it via your siggie and LOVE it.

my late finds:

The Modern Speller (free Google book, it's public domain)

MEP math, which we're piggybacking onto MathUSee.

Calculadder for math drill. Though we probably couldn't have used it, just writing-mechanics-wise, much earlier.

At the moment I'm not. I'm vacillating between doing personalized spelling via copywork with selections from our literature readings and continuing on with the Modern Speller. The only problem I've found with it is just that DS drives me batty with questions about the sentences - as if I'm supposed to know "Dan" personally. At least if the copywork is from the literature readings, he knows the story. So yeah, you'll probably see it pop in and out of my siggy. :001_smile: Well, actually, besides that, he's advanced in writing and enjoys doing it but he's still only very-nearly-almost-6 so I like to keep his school time as short as I can and one sentence from literature, which we might go over through out the week, takes less time than the copywork plus dictation of the Modern Speller. His spelling/dictation ability (photographic memory) outweighs his stamina for the physical act of writing so I will probably use it more as his stamina increases - perhaps after he is writing in cursive (which he is learning now as per his request).

Oh, all that to say, I love it too and am so glad I found it (via HOD, actually). Spelling Workout had been giving me great grief and although I'll do the occasional list of words with him (numbers, days of the week, etc.), relying on teaching words out of context wasn't helping him.

Edited by SCGS

At the moment I'm not. ...

Oh, all that to say, I love it too and am so glad I found it (via HOD, actually). Spelling Workout had been giving me great grief and although I'll do the occasional list of words with him (numbers, days of the week, etc.), relying on teaching words out of context wasn't helping him.

thanks!

and RE the OP, another late-found favorite

Brightly Beaming Baby/Toddler.

• 4 weeks later...

Heart of Dakota

Explode the Code

Teaching Textbooks Math

Rod and Staff English

Those are my 4 absolute favorites. :) If i had found HOD when I first started homeschooling, it would have saved so much money. I was a total curriculum junkie until I found it.

ETC is one that I did find at the beginning of our homeschooling journey and ds8 is finishing Book 8 right now (he took a 1 yr break and did some Wordly Wise for vocab based on lower test scores in that area last May). He is an excellent reader and I really feel like ETC is part of the reason. Learning phonics over time has worked for him!

Teaching Textbooks is something I avoided for years because of the "bad" reviews. However, it turned my "I don't get it" 12 year old into a child that can do math and understands the higher level stuff...and it made my "I HATE math" 3rd grader into a child who sits and "PLAYS" 2-3 lessons a day for fun!!! I am sold.

My degree is in English and R&S has my vote, hands down. It is presented in a logical order and builds upon the knowledge in the same order year after year. My kids have excelled with the program and know more grammar now than I did in high school (and I was always GOOD in English).

Edited by Tree House Academy