Menu

I'm not happy, Bob. NOT happy.

Just came back from dental check up. One of my kids has "many" cavities. I am SO having a stroke. Between every tooth, there's a cavity on each touching surface is what it basically comes down to. :svengo: Some are "just" small ones that haven't gone completely through the enamel, so we're going with the hope-and-pray treatment plan for those. But that still leaves FOUR teeth treatments that may be two cavities each; he will know better when he has opened the really bad tooth if its opposite also needs filling. I am just so insanely beside myself! I am already paying for braces for Miss Magnificent and now I have a four-digit quote on FILLINGS!

I am so sick about it. I don't even want to tell dh (who is currently bringing home ZERO dollars for our annual January-awful-time-of-year-in-business). I'm just :cursing: right now and I have a notion that it is wrong to demonstrate to the child just how incensed I am right now, so I'm biting my tongue, but I feel like saying, "HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU HAVE IN YOUR BANK ACCOUNT!?!"

Anyone feel my pain? :tongue_smilie:

"HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU HAVE IN YOUR BANK ACCOUNT!?!"

Has your son not been brushing and flossing? Have all these cavities developed in the year since his last checkup?! (The above quote seems to imply that this is his fault.)

Yes, I feel your pain. I feel awful for ALL of you!! Medical expenses are downright scary right now. And facing that much dental work would terrify me as the patient.

I am so, so sorry!

P.S. Are these in his baby teeth, by any chance?

Has your son not been brushing and flossing? Have all these cavities developed in the year since his last checkup?! (The above quote seems to imply that this is his fault.)

Yes, I feel your pain. I feel awful for ALL of you!! Medical expenses are downright scary right now. And facing that much dental work would terrify me as the patient.

I am so, so sorry!

P.S. Are these in his baby teeth, by any chance?

It's my daughter. My oldest. My teenager who has never had a single cavity before. All the cavities have developed since her last x-ray (a year ago), though at the last x-ray, they told me there were two pin-hole small potential cavities. It's very surprising, because she has Invisalign braces and must brush her teeth more than ever. But this looks like lack of flossing. The nature of the cavities looks like she's either not flossing or she's rushing it. Maybe she's skipping it because she has so much more tooth care than before with the Invisalign.

I do feel like it is her fault. :tongue_smilie: Beyond that, it's just exceedingly bad timing, not that there's ever a good time to have thousands of dollars in dental bills. Man, I am just really unhappy about it.

I agree with getting a second opinion if you can.

When we were in college, dh had a dentist tell him he had well over a dozen cavities. When he went to see someone else, he did have several, but no where near as many as were first quoted to him. I think some dentists just want more money, and, sadly, some just aren't very good...

Some kids are definitely more prone to cavities and dental issues. My oldest has had too many cavities to count, as well as two root canals and a crown! He's also had one tooth pulled because it broke due to decay. Also, his permanent front tooth had to be rebuilt because it was broken with a swinging crow bar (long story, and the only non-decay related dental issue).

I thought I was a HORRIBLE mom! I grew up never having a cavity and have still never had a root canal. But one dentist assured me it was a combination of weak enamel and a small mouth with teeth crammed to close together. Dedicated flossing has slowed the decay issues, especially between the teeth close together. He looked in my next sons mouth and said he'd had much more resilient teeth, and so far both he and the next brother have never had so much as one cavity. All the boys eat and drink the same foods and have the same brushing and flossing habits, so now I truly do believe some unfortunate ones are just more susceptible to dental problems.

:grouphug: Could you get a second opinion? Your dentist may be spot on and honest' date=' but not all are ...[/quote']

:iagree:

this. i wish it weren't so, but both our dds were told they had 8 cavities each, each visit (ie. twice a year) for the first three years we went to one dentist. then one day he was sick and a replacement dentist came in and couldn't find the cavities to fill. at all.

our new dentist is quite nice, and they've had three cavities between them in five years.

sigh....

at a minimum, i'd ask to see the x-rays.

and if i were near a border, i'd contemplate that, too. most canadian dentists are great, and cheaper by far.... and there are some across the mexican border that friends use, too. for four digits there, you could have a vacation and dental treatments : ). of course, you need to be careful and have recommendations, but.....

on this side of the border, i'd treat any in adult teeth now, and explain that you have zero income in january, so will be waiting on the rest. ask him to prioritize them for you, and to explain why he chose those. daily mouth wash can help a lot, and our dds love the water pic. its messy, but they use it :)

:grouphug:

fwiw,

ann

I'd see if there was low cost option like a dental school program to try to get the work done.

It may not be your dc's fault. Some people take the best care of their teeth and get cavities. Others (like my ds, who the dentist has commented on how dirty his teeth are) never get cavities. There is a genetic component to this. There is also possibility that you don't have fluoridated water which is controversial, but does actually make a difference in cavities--it's just not good for other reasons. I'm sure there are other factors.

My ds's poor oral care is the reason his dentist/ortho recommended not getting braces. If he didn't take care of them they would damage his teeth. Ds has a number of sensory and other issues. Side note, he does brush now, but we've been through so much other stuff with him that since he wasn't getting cavities, oral care was put aside for bigger issues in our home.

So, my ds got lucky with his teeth. Sounds like your dc may have naturally weak enamel or some other issue. Or maybe the dentist is overly aggressive with proposing treatment.

Please don't be too angry with your daughter... some people just have teeth problems - its the way it is. She could be doing everything right and still have cavities... I have friends who are VIGILANT - do all their kids brushing/flossing, etc and 1/2 of them have a billion cavaties and 1/2 of them have perfect teeth. Many times there's no rhyme or reason to it.

I have no dental insurance so it hurts every time we go to the dentist. My kids are not bad but I have had several root canals.

My dentist knows I have no dental insurance so he gives me a discount and lets me pay monthly.

Yeah, me either. *My* dentist is very inexpensive usually, but my kids' dentist is always higher.

this. i wish it weren't so, but both our dds were told they had 8 cavities each, each visit (ie. twice a year) for the first three years we went to one dentist. then one day he was sick and a replacement dentist came in and couldn't find the cavities to fill. at all.

our new dentist is quite nice, and they've had three cavities between them in five years.

sigh....

at a minimum, i'd ask to see the x-rays.

and if i were near a border, i'd contemplate that, too. most canadian dentists are great, and cheaper by far.... and there are some across the mexican border that friends use, too. for four digits there, you could have a vacation and dental treatments : ). of course, you need to be careful and have recommendations, but.....

on this side of the border, i'd treat any in adult teeth now, and explain that you have zero income in january, so will be waiting on the rest. ask him to prioritize them for you, and to explain why he chose those. daily mouth wash can help a lot, and our dds love the water pic. its messy, but they use it :)

:grouphug:

fwiw,

ann

I do think this happens (something like that happened to me), but I don't think it's true for our pediatric dentist. We have gone to him always and this is the first situation like this that has happened.

I did see the x-rays myself; it is completely clear to me (even untrained eye) what he is talking about.

I did think about possibly taking her to my dentist. I don't know if it matters that she is 14. I just hate to do it because it seems like a low-trust thing to do and I do not wish to leave that dentist for good.

The dentist I currently have for myself is a dental school teacher with a very simple, modest office. When I started going to him, I had been told that I needed a $1200 repair (near crown) on one tooth and two other fillings as well. I went for a second opinion. The near-crown was not needed and there were no additional cavities, either. I paid $126 for a small cavity. So - yes - I know such a thing does happen, but I don't think that is the case with my pediatric dentist.

I did think about possibly taking her to my dentist. I don't know if it matters that she is 14. I just hate to do it because it seems like a low-trust thing to do and I do not wish to leave that dentist for good.

I'd do this, and I wouldn't feel guilty about it for even a second. Your dentist doesn't need blind trust. Getting a second opinion is perfectly reasonable. And if your dentist quotes you a lower amount for needed fillings, don't feel guilty about choosing to go with him/her instead of the ped dentist.

If it really makes you feel awkward, consider switching your oldest to your dentist permanently, but leave your younger kids with the pediatric dentist. Your teenager is old enough to switch to a non-pediatric dentist.

Edited by jplain

It's the not flossing, unfortunately. I lived through the same issues myself. Until I started flossing REALLY WELL every single day, I got cavities. Once I started flossing every single day (with good floss - some are better than others for my particular teeth), and using Sonicare toothbrush, the cavities stopped.

I would also suggest getting her a Waterpik, especially with the braces.

Some of us (me, my daughter) are more prone to cavities, especially if her teeth are tight together.

I've been there, done that. It STINKS, truly, and you have my utmost sympathy.

ETA: In addition to living it myself when I was younger, I also lived it when dd was VERY young. We didn't start flossing her until she was 4. Well it turns out her teeth are tight together like mine and needed to be flossed even when she was very young. Even though she didn't drink juice, etc. Same problem you're facing now. So we got them all filled. Well turns out the dentist who did them all did them too shallow and didn't get all the decay, so when we moved to California, the dentist identified the problem, had to remove all those fillings and fill them all again (of course the decay had gone further by that). THANKFULLY the original dentist accepted full responsibility and paid the entire amount to have the work redone. But the trauma my young daughter faced after having to get them all redone - ugh. I would recommend getting them done ASAP, by a very good dentist, because it's better to get them now before they get worse (and they will get worse). You don't want them to get bigger and end up going into the root.

Edited by tammyw

I'd do this, and I wouldn't feel guilty about it for even a second. Your dentist doesn't need blind trust. Getting a second opinion is perfectly reasonable. And if your dentist quotes you a lower amount for needed fillings, don't feel guilty about choosing to go with him/her instead of the ped dentist.

If it really makes you feel awkward, consider switching your oldest to your dentist permanently, but leave your younger kids with the pediatric dentist. Your teenager is old enough to switch to a non-pediatric dentist.

:grouphug: Could you get a second opinion? Your dentist may be spot on and honest' date=' but not all are ...[/quote']

:iagree::iagree:

In would go get another checkup somewhere and NOT tell them what the other dentist said. Maybe he has an awesome vacation planned and needs some pocket cash.

Faithe

:iagree::iagree:

In would go get another checkup somewhere and NOT tell them what the other dentist said. Maybe he has an awesome vacation planned and needs some pocket cash.

Faithe

ETA: I would also agree with a second opinion, however, that will mean another set of x-rays and fees for you of course.

Cavities are as expensive as car repairs, so I feel your pain! I have one child that is prone to cavities, and one who is not. The dentist himself told me it's probably not a brushing issue, but of course he should brush and floss more due to his tendency toward developing cavities.

I wouldn't necessarily blame the kid, but I'd want to maybe supervise the brushing, time it, and so forth, to make sure that isn't a contributing factor.

:iagree: I once went to a dentist for wisdom tooth pain and he wanted to fill 10 cavities! I don't have ANY cavities!

Yeah, I was told I had seven cavities once, when I hadn't even had one until well over 30.

I'm wondering if I had any at all. He was a real jerk and I only saw him once more, but he got my money. He removed some healthy tooth structure on the front to fix a chip, instead of just replacing what was gone.

He was bad news.

Totally!

DH was told he needed 12 fillings by one dentist (he never had a cavity in his life). He went to another dentist and was told he has no cavities to speak of. :glare:

I saw a new dentist two years ago that said I had the cavities between the teeth. Six needed filled to be exact. I thought his diagnosis was a bit off and went to another dentist a year later and he said I was fine. :tongue_smilie: I think I do have some "erosion" between the teeth, but another dentist spotted that 10 years ago and it has been fine.

Second opinions are costly too, but could save alot of money. My dh has run into the same thing lately too with a dentist he saw.

Please get a second opinion.

I to went to a new dentist and he told me I had 15cavities. Me, I have been to the dentist regularly since I was 4. Left that dentist and went back to my old dentist and he said I had none. Oh the other dentist dh saw an ad that he is now certified to do Botox

Edited by lynn

It's the not flossing, unfortunately. I lived through the same issues myself. Until I started flossing REALLY WELL every single day, I got cavities. Once I started flossing every single day (with good floss - some are better than others for my particular teeth), and using Sonicare toothbrush, the cavities stopped.

I would also suggest getting her a Waterpik, especially with the braces.

Some of us (me, my daughter) are more prone to cavities, especially if her teeth are tight together.

I've been there, done that. It STINKS, truly, and you have my utmost sympathy.

ETA: In addition to living it myself when I was younger, I also lived it when dd was VERY young. We didn't start flossing her until she was 4. Well it turns out her teeth are tight together like mine and needed to be flossed even when she was very young. Even though she didn't drink juice, etc. Same problem you're facing now. So we got them all filled. Well turns out the dentist who did them all did them too shallow and didn't get all the decay, so when we moved to California, the dentist identified the problem, had to remove all those fillings and fill them all again (of course the decay had gone further by that). THANKFULLY the original dentist accepted full responsibility and paid the entire amount to have the work redone. But the trauma my young daughter faced after having to get them all redone - ugh. I would recommend getting them done ASAP, by a very good dentist, because it's better to get them now before they get worse (and they will get worse). You don't want them to get bigger and end up going into the root.

:eek: Having to have them re-done! Galling!

Well, this is what I'm going to do, but I do feel very awkward about it. My decision in this direction was helped substantially by dh's reaction to this news. :tongue_smilie:

Totally!

DH was told he needed 12 fillings by one dentist (he never had a cavity in his life). He went to another dentist and was told he has no cavities to speak of. :glare:

In short, this happened to me, too. Except that I paid over 700.00 to have half of the cavities filled (my portion, after insurance) before getting a second opinion!

I'd see if there was low cost option like a dental school program to try to get the work done.

It may not be your dc's fault. Some people take the best care of their teeth and get cavities. Others (like my ds, who the dentist has commented on how dirty his teeth are) never get cavities. There is a genetic component to this. There is also possibility that you don't have fluoridated water which is controversial, but does actually make a difference in cavities--it's just not good for other reasons. I'm sure there are other factors.

My ds's poor oral care is the reason his dentist/ortho recommended not getting braces. If he didn't take care of them they would damage his teeth. Ds has a number of sensory and other issues. Side note, he does brush now, but we've been through so much other stuff with him that since he wasn't getting cavities, oral care was put aside for bigger issues in our home.

So, my ds got lucky with his teeth. Sounds like your dc may have naturally weak enamel or some other issue. Or maybe the dentist is overly aggressive with proposing treatment.

I do think this happens (something like that happened to me), but I don't think it's true for our pediatric dentist. We have gone to him always and this is the first situation like this that has happened.

I did see the x-rays myself; it is completely clear to me (even untrained eye) what he is talking about.

The dentist I currently have for myself is a dental school teacher with a very simple, modest office. When I started going to him, I had been told that I needed a $1200 repair (near crown) on one tooth and two other fillings as well. I went for a second opinion. The near-crown was not needed and there were no additional cavities, either. I paid $126 for a small cavity. So - yes - I know such a thing does happen, but I don't think that is the case with my pediatric dentist.

We were told dc needed over $2000 worth of work for cavities in between teeth.:svengo: That included sedation at least twice.

The dental school treated the cavities less aggressively than the dentist. They filled 2 cavities without sedation for a total of less than $200. The dentists at the college said some dentists are just more aggressive with cavities, perhaps based on (lack of) follow-up visits of their patients.

Since your dentist is a teacher at the dental school, see if he can get your dd into the pediatric clinic there.:001_smile:

I would get a second opinion.

My oldest son NEVER brushed his teeth OR flossed and to this day does not have ONE cavity, despite my dire warnings his teeth would fall out.

And, once you fill a cavity, those little tubey things your teeth are made up never grow back and they can't heal themselves.

Heal Tooth Decay was an interesting book, but it makes a lot more sense if you're a Nourishing Traditions/Weston Price fan.

Edited by justamouse

:eek: Having to have them re-done! Galling!

It was awful, awful. That wasn't even the worst of it. The original dentist had to replace several fillings because for some reason they kept falling out when we flossed. He said "no big deal, it happens with small fillings" and we trusted him. When we moved to California, she had another filling fall out and we went to the new dentist. I explained her history and he said that fillings should indeed NOT fall out from flossing, and then when he checked her and xrayed her, noticed that they reason the fillings were falling out was because he hadn't gotten all the decay from underneath. I was seriously horrified, furious, everything. Now to this day I get nervous when we go to the dentist but thankfully things are all good now that the work's been redone. Needless to say, our kids get flossed every night and they each have a sonicare, lol! This story is almost too weird to believe.

Why is your teenager seeing a pediatric dentist? Is she dental phobic?

I only take mine to the ped. dentist if a regular dentist can't handle it. My oldest two went for a time when my oldest (now 17) was going through a VERY gaggy and nervous stage.

My youngest needed two fillings. We made an appt. but it was a no go despite having fillings at the regular dentist when he was four. His gag reflex is just too sensitive recently. :tongue_smilie: Tomorrow we go back to see Dr. Mak. Hopefully next time we won't need to. It's an hours drive--and tomorrow's just a consultation.

Edited by darlasowders

It's my daughter. My oldest. My teenager who has never had a single cavity before. All the cavities have developed since her last x-ray (a year ago), though at the last x-ray, they told me there were two pin-hole small potential cavities. It's very surprising, because she has Invisalign braces and must brush her teeth more than ever. But this looks like lack of flossing. The nature of the cavities looks like she's either not flossing or she's rushing it. Maybe she's skipping it because she has so much more tooth care than before with the Invisalign.

I do feel like it is her fault. :tongue_smilie: Beyond that, it's just exceedingly bad timing, not that there's ever a good time to have thousands of dollars in dental bills. Man, I am just really unhappy about it.

I am not a flosser. I know I should be, but I am not. I have very few cavities. One of my kids had two sets of the kind of cavities you're describing at his first dental visit. None of the others ever has had any. Though flossing can help, I have never heard of that many cavities developing in a year. If they saw two cavities a year ago, what did they tell you was going to happen in the course of a year? Did they check them at the 6 month cleaning? I don't get blaming your daughter.

I should also add that it may actually not be her fault. I totally get feeling mad about it. But I can see this in my girls - they both brush, they both floss, they both rinse, they eat the same things, take the same vitamins... and Becca has had one cavity filled already (years ago, about Sylvia's age or younger) and two more diagnosed today.

I'm very interested in the previously linked natural anti-tooth decay supplement.

Why is your teenager seeing a pediatric dentist? Is she dental phobic?

I only take mine to the ped. dentist if a regular dentist can't handle it. My oldest two went for a time when my oldest (now 17) was going through a VERY gaggy and nervous stage.

My youngest needed two fillings. We made an appt. but it was a no go despite having fillings at the regular dentist when he was four. His gag reflex is just too sensitive recently. :tongue_smilie: Tomorrow we go back to see Dr. Mak. Hopefully next time we won't need to. It's an hours drive--and tomorrow's just a consultation.

She is pretty dental anxious. (I am too, so I totally get it.) That is one thing that makes me nervous about having my dentist work on her instead of the pediatric dentist. My dentist is very conservative about sedation. The pediatric dentist is nearly the opposite. That is part of what drives the price up. But I'm not sure about taking her where he will probably not use nitrous oxide. I really don't want it to be traumatic. I had serious dental fear for several years and I know how one bad experience in the chair can affect an anxious patient.

Yes, please get a second opionion! This part of your post really speaks volumes:

; he will know better when he has opened the really bad tooth if its opposite also needs filling. :

Umm, He should be able to look at the x-ray and the tooth to know if it needs filling, not another tooth.

Wow! That sounds "off" in some way...unless the invisalign braces are actually causing the problem. I would do some research there...but it stands to reason that, if she removes the retainer type tray, eats, and then puts it back in without brushing, it could hold the bacteria in place in certain spots. Have you read of this happening before with invisalign?

My ds12 has braces (traditional, metal ones) and has also never had a cavity. He would DIE if he went and they told him he had cavities between every tooth! At one point, I had something like that. We just did them as we could. I never sought a second opinion...maybe I should have.

ETA: Yes...this!

Do you think the cavities are related to the Invisalign? Just to my layman brain, it seems like having something that completely covers your teeth for hours a day could lead to more bacteria growth than would otherwise naturally occur.

Do you think the cavities are related to the Invisalign? Just to my layman brain, it seems like having something that completely covers your teeth for hours a day could lead to more bacteria growth than would otherwise naturally occur.

I do think this could be a big cause. Dh got a mouthpiece to help with teeth grinding and snoring and ended up with serious gum issues after wearing it nightly for several months (from one dental checkup to the next). He kept wearing it (we didn't realize what it was), and the next dental appt they were telling him to get to a periodontist. After doing some research, he stopped wearing it. It was keeping the saliva from his teeth and letting them dry out, which was causing the mouth bacteria to thrive.

2 things: Sonicare and Waterpik. You won't believe the difference! Does she use either? Every dentist we went to in FL told us to get Sonicare and no other. Then we moved and I don't no why dentists in NC don't tell us. But Sonicare is amazing. And waterpik is too. Both emulate flossing. Worth every penny. As soon as my kids got braces we got them Waterpiks. We've all used Sonicares for years. When we go to the dentist they rave about our teeth. (Before it was not so.) And your teeth feel so, so good!

Also, I had a dentist tell me I needed 7 crowns. Dentist #2 did 2. Not 7. Crazy.

And finally, a dentist told us my son's first and only cavity could repair on its own with care. It did.