Menu

Weird Neighbors Out In Force

Seems like lots of us are having "issues" with our neighbors. Here's mine...

Two days ago, I was sitting in my bedroom minding my own business and this cute little girl I've never seen before in my life comes bounding up the stairs and introduces herself. Apparently her father, my new neighbor I've also never met, thought it would be a good idea to drop her off at my house for a bit. Oh, and her brother and sister, too. 5 year old triplets. I told the kids it was time to go because I was leaving and they said "But we're not done playing yet!" Umm...yes, you are, kid. I took them outside to go home and the dad was standing in their driveway. I introduced myself and told him the kids couldn't be there because I was leaving and I don't allow other children in my house when I'm not there. He said "Oh, yeah....I guess I should have checked to see if you were home before I let them in". :confused:

Then yesterday, I was sitting in my office at my desk, working, and I hear a bunch of voices downstairs (kids and a grown woman) inside my house. Apparently the wife of the guy from the day before just came right in (ok, so my 9 year old let her) and was sitting down there while her children played, waiting for me to get a break in my work day to go down and introduce myself. In my house. Where she was hanging out. This is bizarre. who does that?

I went last night to have a serious conversation about boundaries but they weren't home. I should have let myself in through a window, grabbed a snack, flipped on the TV and waited for them to come home. :D

I went last night to have a serious conversation about boundaries but they weren't home. I should have let myself in through a window, grabbed a snack, flipped on the TV and waited for them to come home. :D

This part is funny, but the other part is really scary! I've never heard of anything like that. You really do need to have a talk about boundaries. Holy smokes!

I know! I'm trying to make light of it, but it's bizzaro. When I did actually meet them, they seem like nice enough people. I just can't get past the strange behavior, though.

The mom also offered to take my kids to school in the morning so they don't have to go on the bus. Seems innocent enough but I DON'T KNOW THESE PEOPLE! So, no. And who lets their young kids go into people's houses that they have never even met? What if I were a serial killer or child molester or something? Gives me the willies.

Start keeping your doors locked. These people sound nuts. Instruct your kids not to open the doors for anyone. And go have a very terse conversation with these people.

Oh, the doors are now locked. One of the little girls came right in last night, too. The door was unlocked because my kids were playing outside. I guess my kids will have to start carrying house keys or something.

Wow. That is sort of creepy. It's nice that they are friendly, but how can they be like that with people they don't know? :grouphug:

There was a neighbor up the street that I have never spoken with previously. My grandsons have gone to play with her child a couple of times but stopped due to that child's behavior. The other little boy on the street also isn't allowed to play with him.

On New Year's Eve (2010), the mother drops the boy off at 6pm saying that he needed to stay overnight at our house while she went out, overnight. I heard voices and came out of the kitchen to basically yell, "No, No, NO!". I was in the middle of preparing party foods for our family's annual New Year's Eve party, which is also my anniversary. She seemed so offended that I wouldn't babysit. Everyone was stunned as no one had spoken to her or really knew her (except my daughter, my grandsons' mother but it had been months since she last spoke with her).

Sometimes there is no excuse for people.

Two days ago, I was sitting in my bedroom minding my own business and this cute little girl I've never seen before in my life comes bounding up the stairs and introduces herself. Apparently her father, my new neighbor I've also never met, thought it would be a good idea to drop her off at my house for a bit. Oh, and her brother and sister, too. 5 year old triplets. I told the kids it was time to go because I was leaving and they said "But we're not done playing yet!" Umm...yes, you are, kid. I took them outside to go home and the dad was standing in their driveway. I introduced myself and told him the kids couldn't be there because I was leaving and I don't allow other children in my house when I'm not there. He said "Oh, yeah....I guess I should have checked to see if you were home before I let them in". :confused:

Then yesterday, I was sitting in my office at my desk, working, and I hear a bunch of voices downstairs (kids and a grown woman) inside my house. Apparently the wife of the guy from the day before just came right in (ok, so my 9 year old let her) and was sitting down there while her children played, waiting for me to get a break in my work day to go down and introduce myself. In my house. Where she was hanging out. This is bizarre. who does that?

:blink::svengo::glare:

Wow. That is just...wow. I CANNOT imagine.

This last summer my kids were in our fenced back yard that backs up to the driveway of a single woman. One of my kids ran in the house and said there was a new kid to play with--I went out there, and there was a little boy. FOUR YEARS OLD. NO adult in sight. Anywhere. I seriously didn't know where he came from, he couldn't tell me, and my kids said he just appeared at the gate, knocked, and came in when they opened it (it's a open-style fence you can see through). So I went looking for an adult--the single woman had friends visiting, they saw my kids in the back yard, and told their little boy he could come play. :confused: Guess I should thank God they didn't just send him into the house!!!

Glad you're not the type who is unwilling to go talk about boundaries:D. Hope they're the type to respect boundaries once set!!

Were your kids playing outside when the other kids came over? I would be extremely concerned if the father let his kids into your house, but if your kids were playing outside or answered the door and that's how the kids came in, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. It would absolutely be time for a conversation about boundaries and when those kids can and cannot come over to play, but I wouldn't be worried about it as much.

I think it's really weird that no one told you that the other mother had arrived in the house. :001_huh:

I hope things are resolved quickly and without issues!

Oh boy.

Our neighbors' kids used to climb our fence and check our back doors to see if they were unlocked. If we forgot to lock the back doors, we'd come home to them playing in our house. We learned to double-check all of the doors. Their parents just kind of shrugged when we told them.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Nice people, but...odd and boundary challenged. Unbelievably boundary challenged.

I agree about keeping the doors locked and talking to the parents about boundaries. Yikes. Hopefully they aren't as nutty as our former neighbors.

Cat

We had a neighbor move in about 2 years ago, at our old house, and a similar thing happened. Her son (only child) came over about 10 min. before I had to leave and when I said we were going, he told me his mom told him to come play over at our house while she went out!! Good grief! I did have a little talk about how that wasn't acceptable. He was only 5-7 at the time. We didnt' even know them at all. Don't these people know about pedophiles??

This is scary. I wonder where these people lived before, and if their old neighborhood all thought it was appropriate to enter each other's homes uninvited and unannounced. It is clear that neither the husband or wife makes wise decisions about boundaries and neighbors, so it is safe to assume that their children will copy their poor behavior.

I suppose a large, intimidating-looking, barking indoor dog might help, but not if you don't want a large, intimidating-looking, barking indoor dog.

I guess your doors will need to stay locked until the neighbors respect your rules about not entering your home uninvited.

This would be a good time to remind your dc about appropriate behavior when playing outside with neighbors, and about your rules for answering (or not answering) the door when people knock.

Were your kids playing outside when the other kids came over? I would be extremely concerned if the father let his kids into your house, but if your kids were playing outside or answered the door and that's how the kids came in, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. It would absolutely be time for a conversation about boundaries and when those kids can and cannot come over to play, but I wouldn't be worried about it as much.

I think it's really weird that no one told you that the other mother had arrived in the house. :001_huh:

I hope things are resolved quickly and without issues!

My kids didn't let them in the first time. They just came on in. And my youngest was on the way up to tell me this woman was sitting on my couch when I was on the way down, but there was a delay. I had a conversation with her (my own child) about that, too. She said she "wanted to make them feel welcome in their new neighborhood". :confused: Have I not parented these children at all????

Good time to post on sign on the door (locked door) that states, "Schooling in session -- Do NOT disturb".

And train the kiddos to not let ANYONE into the house, period. Perhaps have them darken the lights or pretend no one is home when they knock? ;)

Yeah, we had to revisit that topic. The thing is....we DO let people in. Other kids (that I know, and whose parents I know), even other adults if we know them, although none of my neighbors would ever just walk in without an ADULT inviting them. We had the talk yesterday about changing that behavior going forward.

...yes, but if you had done that, they might have gotten the idea that it was okay, LOL!

Wow - I've just never heard of neighbors letting themselves into someone else's house; the house of a complete stranger. Wow. What if you were a pedophile or a serial killer? I mean, who "lets their kids in" to the house of a complete stranger they have never met? I'm assuming you had not met before....

We did have back yard neighbors who thought our yard should be theirs when we moved here. They gave us a hard time about our landscaping when we put it in to try to mark our yard boundaries (breaking the branches of slow growing holly trees, etc.) so we finally put up a fence.

We had the yard surveyed and marked by three different surveyors because they kept arguing that what is clearly shown on the platt for the neighborhood for all our lots, and what the surveyors kept marking (all of which were in accordance), were wrong.

Our yard was their yard. Period. After we put our fence up, they started doing the same thing to the folks who lived next door to us.... Huh. I thought maybe it was a Kentucky thing, LOL. Folks who grew up in the country and who didn't know how boundaries in neighborhoods are marked; that anyone may choose to raise a fence around their own private yard if they so choose, etc....

But if anyone ever walked into my house, I'm afraid I'd be chasing them out with a butcher knife! I guess it's time to make certain the doors are always locked and the kids know not to answer the door, but to come tell you who it is first....

:iagree:Think they would have gotten the point? (probably not):tongue_smilie:

:svengo:

Oh boy.

Our neighbors' kids used to climb our fence and check our back doors to see if they were unlocked. If we forgot to lock the back doors, we'd come home to them playing in our house. We learned to double-check all of the doors. Their parents just kind of shrugged when we told them.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Nice people, but...odd and boundary challenged. Unbelievably boundary challenged.

I agree about keeping the doors locked and talking to the parents about boundaries. Yikes. Hopefully they aren't as nutty as our former neighbors.

Cat

:svengo:

We had a neighbor move in about 2 years ago, at our old house, and a similar thing happened. Her son (only child) came over about 10 min. before I had to leave and when I said we were going, he told me his mom told him to come play over at our house while she went out!! Good grief! I did have a little talk about how that wasn't acceptable. He was only 5-7 at the time. We didnt' even know them at all. Don't these people know about pedophiles??

:001_huh:

Wow.

That is crazy.

We always lock our door. I have even gotten dh into it. I have watched to many episodes of Criminal Minds.

We got one of those coded front door locks that I love. DS can let himself in, and not have to worry about a key. (dd is 4 and isn't out by herself so it isn't a issue that the door is to hard for her to figure out.) We have been really happy with it.

You know, over on the thread about whether or not people lock their doors while they're home, several people have commented that it's pretty typical in their neighborhood to just go into each other's houses. One person grew up in a town where you might take your neighbor's laundry off the line if it started raining while they weren't home and then set it in their house; or stop by with excess vegetable crops and, if you weren't home, just deposit in your refrigerator and leave.

So it's totally possible they're from an area where this is normal behaviour, and the freaked out people who have answered your post so far would be perceived as the bizarro ones.

Over the years I've met people who thought we were snooty for not just dropping by unannounced whenever we felt like it. And other people who wanted a 2 week notice. Local culture varies. Sometimes it takes a while to figure it out when you're the new one on the block.

You know, over on the thread about whether or not people lock their doors while they're home, several people have commented that it's pretty typical in their neighborhood to just go into each other's houses. One person grew up in a town where you might take your neighbor's laundry off the line if it started raining while they weren't home and then set it in their house; or stop by with excess vegetable crops and, if you weren't home, just deposit in your refrigerator and leave.

So it's totally possible they're from an area where this is normal behaviour, and the freaked out people who have answered your post so far would be perceived as the bizarro ones.

Over the years I've met people who thought we were snooty for not just dropping by unannounced whenever we felt like it. And other people who wanted a 2 week notice. Local culture varies. Sometimes it takes a while to figure it out when you're the new one on the block.

:iagree: I don't really see this behavior as being all that odd, and definitely not something worthy of a restraining order! Our current neighborhood is not the type of place where you just walk into a neighbor's house, but I have lived in places that were.

I was wondering about this too... I'd be interested in getting their back story and trying to find out if this is normal behavior where they came from. Did they knock at all when they came in, or did they maybe do that thing where people sometimes open the door while saying "Knock, knock, anybody home?" We do that within our extended family but I wouldn't do it to an unfamiliar neighbor.

We do have one little neighborhood boy who walked into our house when he first moved in but he stopped doing that as soon as we told him it wasn't polite. Now he knocks and yells "Miss Hailey! Miss Hailey can I come in?" really loud until I open it. It's sooo cute!

Lock your doors!

But before you do, hope that the mom or dad will come into your house uninvited just one more time while you are upstairs. If they do, call 911 and tell them that you are upstairs and hear voices and that someone is in your house downstairs, that you don't know who it is, and that you are afraid. They will send the police to your house. I bet that will be the last time the parents enter your house without you letting them in!