Menu

Is anyone STILL 100% happy with their original choices?

SorrelZG

I've been reading all the change/starting over threads of late because we have had a whole new start at our house but I kept thinking back to the thread in August asking if anyone was 100% happy with their curriculum choices and at that point everyone was in their first week or so. It all got me wondering, are there some here who were completely happy with their choices at the beginning of the school year and continue to be completely happy with them now that it's January?

Or do those people not visit this forum?:lol:

Meanwhile, this is the first week of my whole new start and I am 100% happy with it and wondering if I'm going to be able to say the same in June. :D

Yep I am for the most part still 100% happy with my choices for this school year. The only thing we dropped was Latin at the beginning of the year and have decided to do only Spanish for now. I think people who are dissatisfied or more likely to post because they are asking questions. KWIM

For the most part yes.

I did want to do SOTW, but that didn't work out. But I do plan to start up again with it, sometime. My youngest just wasn't emotionly ready for it. I think he is now. But we are going to be starting up with science in 2 weeks. So I will hold off on re-starting SOTW.

To answer your question directly. I am 100% happy with the choices so far. My youngest is not.

I think the longer you homeschool, the less you hop around curriculum choices. We've been homeschooling for 3 years and by now, I usually know who's compatible with what.

We have gotten bored with something and switched to something else...that's happened.

I do tend to draw from multiple resources, tho - that looks like curriculum hopping, I guess.

We are happy with everything! We've had to slowly add things as we weren't able to fit everything into our routine at the beginning of the year. As of this week we are doing everything from my original plan and loving it. :)

This is our third year officially homeschooling and I've certainly learned a lot during that time. I've found several curricula that I'm very happy with. Some of what we are doing (especially with my oldest) are continuations of what we had been doing last year.

I am 100% happy with my original phonics and handwriting choices, Alpha-phonics and HWOT. However, I did quickly change from Horizons Math K to Mathematical Reasoning K after the second month. Mathematical Reasoning does the job, but I think I'll just have my upcoming K'er play with c-rods for his K year. I am OK with Explorer's Bible Study but we won't be continuing with that for next year either. Still researching on that.

I think people who are dissatisfied or more likely to post because they are asking questions. KWIM

I agree that those who are satisfied don't come to this section of the forum as much. I only pop in when I have a question about something we are using. I'll be here more in the coming months as I start choosing what we'll use this coming fall.

Y'all still need to be coming by still to help answer the questions of those of us who want to be satisfied like y'all but are still finding our way. :tongue_smilie:

.. and I'm sure we're all looking forward to see more of y'all again. :D

(My frequent use of "y'all" is to be blamed on my Latin curriculum - yes, learning Latin is making me sound like a redneck.)

Y'all still need to be coming by still to help answer the questions of those of us who want to be satisfied like y'all but are still finding our way. :tongue_smilie:

(My frequent use of "y'all" is to be blamed on my Latin curriculum - yes, learning Latin is making me sound like a redneck.)

That's why I'm here! It is so nice to be needed.:lol:

FLL for my 9yrs old

Teaching Textbooks for 9 and 8yrs old (for review only)

Vocab.com for my 9yrs old.

DreamBox for my 8yrs old

Handwriting without Tears for the three of them.

Story of the World Ancients for all of them

Technical drawing program for one of the 9yrs old and 8yrs old

Hands-On equations

Key to Fractions, Decimals

Simply Music

Notice there is no mention of any science.

Most I have stayed with Singapore, R&S, Hey Andrew, Elementary Greek, Miquon, typing

History and Science were not working so I have tweaked and changed. But, for me that is not bad as I re-evaluate every six months. These are two subjects that have been hard from the start and I really don't expect that to change in the near future. The boys are learning and we move forward.

I am happy now. A few months ago I changed DD8 from MM to CLE math, which has been a great decision, and we're not looking back now. DD7 is continuing with MM and doing great. I didn't change anything else except for getting a supplemental activity guide for Sonlight, Handle on the Arts, which I have basically stopped doing.

I am happy with Sonlight and Teaching Textbooks

We still struggle with LA/Grammar but that is largely due to having a son who struggles in these areas and trying to find something that clicks with him.

Science is Apologia and it is just ok. We are not changing it but I did get KnowledgeBoxCentral's Lapbook for it and we will be tweaking it a bit.

If it all came with a tutor and I could go to Starbucks I would be 100% happy! :lol:

No, not 100%. The free curriculum I tried this year wasn't a great fit. I was hesitant to try Rod and Staff Grammar, but I think we will be sticking with it for the long haul. I changed half of our science too. I went from a mish-mash of books and experiments to a formal textbook (CPO). I changed Greek from a free program to a textbook as well.

My two oldest are still using the curricula from Sept. The only thing is I switched was their writing to WWS (I would have used it from the start but it was still in production:001_smile:)

With my four younger ones, it wasn't that I was not happy with what we were using. I reallly liked all the choices but I wanted a more Christ-centered program.

I loved using WWE, WP etc. but I wanted Christ to be woven into our studies thus the switch to HOD and R&S for grammar.

I am still using Shurley English with my two middle boys. I didn't want to change that because they are doing so well with it and they like the jingles.

Basically things we are still using from Sept./100% happy with:

TT 3 & 5

MUS

Shurley English

America the Beautiful

Analytical Grammar

Bob Jones for oldest ds history, science, literature, and Bible via dvds

Copywork for Girls

A Nature Walk with Aunt Bessie (Annette only)

AAS

We're happily chugging along here. We've made no changes this year, but I've never been much of a curriculum hopper. We're using:

TOG Year 1 (R, D, & UG levels)

Singapore Math, Miquon, LOF, Chalkdust Pre-Algebra and Algebra I

Phonics Pathways, ETC, copywork, narration, Classical Writing, Writing Aids

Latin for Children, Latin for the New Millennium

We weren't. We were doing nearly all MFW and dumped it all. I love the curriculum, but it just wasn't a good fit for us. We also decided to dump science for this year. The only thing we might make another change to is DH's math. We are currently using MM which I think is great, but not sure if it's a good fit for DH. Looking back at Horizons.

I was 100% happy with the choices I made back in August. Unfortunately, Rod & Staff grammar didn't mesh with dd's learning style. We switched to Growing with Grammar around the first of November. Now we are back to 100% happy! It is a really nice feeling ;) Of course, we haven't done much science....

Good point!

We very rarely make changes in our homeschool, but we did this semester.

For older,

1. we are focusing more on BFSU 2 rather than Core Knowledge Science which we had started with, and it's going well. I wanted to do more inquiry based science, and BFSU lends itself to that nicely. I also found I was slightly biased against BFSU as volume 1 did not work for us. However, I've found Volume 2 to be much more enjoyable.
  2. I decided to drop Vocab and Spelling in favor of more intensive Latin and derivatives study. DS was not retaining the new vocab he was learning with Vocabulary Workshop, so now I have him write down words he's not familiar with, and also use the derivatives in Henle to expand his grammar. He never had trouble with Spelling, and i decided to ditch it and see how it goes.
  3. We decided to combine KISS grammar with GWG (and we tend to favor KISS at this point)
  4. I decided to drop Evan Moor Geography workbooks in favor of a more CM (??) approach--reading about a state/country, writing a narration, reading living books, finding it on the map, drawing it, etc.
  5. we also moved DS older to MM5 from SM. So far so good.

Whew. That is a lot of changes.

Edited by Halcyon

I dropped Saxon for my 10 year old dd and switched to Teaching Textbooks. I tried to continue with Saxon, but it just wasn't working for her. She's enjoying TT. Also, I think I am going to quit Spelling Power and switch to Spelling Workout. I really didn't like having to spend 45 minutes/day on spelling and I'm hoping my kids will be a bit more independent with Spelling Workout.

Very happy with RS B. I love WWE1, even thought DD does not (she just resists writing). I'm thinking of finding a gentle cursive program for her because she keep connecting letters and saying she write like Mommy.

I recently posted a thread on how I am waiting to fall in love with Phonics Road. I'm a little bummed that I spent so much money on spelling words and phonograms when I already have the Spalding book. I was really hoping for a great deal of teacher training, and I don't feel as if I've gotten that. Just finished week 12. Debating on whether continuing with WWE, Rod and Staff grammar, the spelling lists from Spalding and lit guides from Memoria Press would do the same thing for less $.

Floundering in history and science.

So I guess I'm not really happy.

I'm still happy with the choices, but I can't say school is all fireworks and smiles in this dark & frigid weather, or that we get all of those choices done. I've had to let some of the extras & supplements fall to the wayside in favor of getting things done. I have my "core" programs that I love, and then a lot of other stuff I like to add on (resulting in more than 1 program per subject) because it all looks so good. The extra is just gravy & we were drowning in it. No more gravy for now. :) Meat & potatoes only.

I recently posted a thread on how I am waiting to fall in love with Phonics Road. I'm a little bummed that I spent so much money on spelling words and phonograms when I already have the Spalding book. I was really hoping for a great deal of teacher training, and I don't feel as if I've gotten that. Just finished week 12. Debating on whether continuing with WWE, Rod and Staff grammar, the spelling lists from Spalding and lit guides from Memoria Press would do the same thing for less $.

I empathize a little. I spent a decent amount on SWR and never took off with it. I borrowed WRTR from the library and it made everything seem ridiculously simple (and cheap) so I bought a copy used for under $10. I'm finally getting rid of everything I bought for SWR so that I'll stop being reminded of it and therefore, hopefully, quit wanting to slap myself upside the head.

Happy With:

Writing with Ease

First Language Lessons

Story of the World

HWoT (though we are just speeding through 2 years of penmanship in about 6 or 7 months)

"OK" with:

"Real Science for Kids" - Fine for what it is. We're doing Pre-Level 1 but I don't think we'll go back and do Level 1 next year. I think we'll find something different.. looks like it'd be too much of the same to do Level 1. The content of these books is pretty solid, but written in Comic Sans, which makes the part of me that is a graphic designer die a little.

Evan-Moor publications: Teacher File Box member, and I think I got my (discounted) money's worth, but I'm not thrilled with as much as of the content as I had hoped.

Teaching Textbooks: It's not ideal, but it serves my purposes... for now.

Not Happy With:

Our Hebrew Curriculum - I think the teaching method is fine, but the computer program is unendurable. We dropped it.

All About Spelling - Sorry, I know there are a lot of major fans here, but I just find the whole thing too convoluted and annoying. We do use the tiles as a manipulative, but that's it.

Music Tree - I LOVE the philosophy behind these piano books, but my kids truly and really DON'T. It was just NOT working. Ensemble playing with me, no, not interested. They just want to learn the basics and to be left alone to practice, and Music Tree doesn't allow that.

Jury is Still Out:

Visual Latin (just started)

Faber Piano Adventures - Just started but.. so far, so good. Much more of the format THEY want to learn piano, and I am pleasantly surprised to see that Faber has deviated from "Middle C learning". I did Faber when I was a child, diff. books, and it had me so tunnelvisioned on "Middle C" that the "black keys" were scary.

We haven't changed anything, and are happily chugging along. :)

:iagree: We are very happy! I did change both dd's science- my 8th graders change was not because we were unhappy but to make high school planning flow better. My 4th grader I believe we changed in August so might have been before that thread :lol:

We are making a few changes for next year but not because we are unhappy but because we will be moving 1 child to rhetoric :svengo: and another to logic stage.

I am going to be the mother of a high schooler next year :crying: :001_unsure: :eek:

This is the first we changed things mid-year. We had tried Elemental Science (Chemistry) and while I thought it was great, my ds literally cried when he saw me pull the books off the shelf. OY!

So we went with a straight traditional textbook for both of them --- and they LOVE it! :confused: LOL! I always put so much time in prepping our science and to find out they love textbooks is slightly frustrating to know I wasted so much time in years past! I guess next year we'll just keep it simple and use a textbook.

We also dropped our supplemental math (Math Mammoth) because I just cannot find the time to do it.

Yes, we're happy here with our choices (but that was after some significant changes this past summer). The only thing we're looking at changing is the schedule. Some of the lower-priority subjects are not getting done as often as I would like.

Blessings,

Laura

:iagree: I don't expect to love anything in January, but I can be content knowing we are moving forward.

:iagree:

I can't say I'm *enjoying* teaching school in bleak January, but that's not the curriculum's fault. :tongue_smilie:

We haven't changed anything, and are happily chugging along. :)

We made changes in September with my oldest and we are sticking with it, she begins her next AoPS class this month. Other than that we have been fine. I think I will always tweak things to each child to some degree or another, that is one of the reasons I homeschool, so that is normal for me and not a problem with the curriculum. It's also one of the reasons I have so much curriculum. ;)

I think the longer you homeschool, the less you hop around curriculum choices.

:glare: I've been doing this homeschooling thing for 5 1/2 years and I still end up picking losers sometimes. (This mostly ends up being science for some reason.)

:blink:

We are still chugging away at the things we started with. However, I *just* decided to admit I made a mistake with dd#1 on her math and order the next level down (which I skipped). It was too painful for *me* and she'll be happier if we start over now vs. slugging through slowly for the next year on material that she just isn't ready to grasp yet.

We are going slower through history & science than my schedule says we should be going. Can you tell I'm a box checker? :tongue_smilie:

:chillpill: