Menu

How do you deal with Nerf darts all over?

DS received quite an addition to his Nerf arsenal for his birthday. One of the guns he received was the Stampede that has a battery operated trigger and can shoot 3 darts per second. Wow!

But now I have Nerf darts everywhere. He loads up the gun, shoots the entire clip at someone, and leaves the darts where they land for days. Not only are they all over the place, but darts are getting damaged/unusable from being walked on, kicked, played with by the cats, or chewed on by animals.

What's your dart policy?

I hoard them for my own ammo to use against them. :D. They don't forget so much anymore.

:iagree: :D

Plus, I like the color orange, so they probably don't bother me as much as they should. :lol:

We (meaning ds w/ me sometimes helping) usually pick them up somewhat promptly because my elderly cat likes to stalk & catch Nerf darts at about 3am, which he then announces to ALL of us w/ his super-loud voice as he wanders through the house to show us. He really likes it when he can find at least 4 or 5, which keeps him going at loud volumes for a couple of hours. At least the cat lines them up neatly in the hall so they're easy to pick up in the morning. :tongue_smilie: (After ds had his sleep interrupted a few times, he has gotten better about picking them up.)

Easy peasy. If they bother you and you want him to pick them up, YOU pick them up and he has to buy them back.

:iagree:Yep Ds has the stampede and if there are darts on the floor they go in the trash(hasn't been a problem in long time)...but I like the buy back idea... "get your nerf darts here, slightly used. 50% off retail and no need to go to the store!"

I make them pick them up when they are done playing. If I see one laying around I call for a twin to come get it before it is mine (one always comes running) or I pick it up and throw it at them, which for some reason they find insanely funny.

At our house. "Please pick up the nerf darts when you are finished playing." If I find a stray one that was missed I'll put it on ds nightstand. If they leave them after playing I give a 2 min warning for if I pick them up they are no more. It's never been a problem.

They have to pick them up. I tell them that if I have to pick them up then they go in the bin, and no more will be bought; this works pretty well, they obviously take me dead seriously. The matter of when they have to pick them up depends on how tolerant I'm feeling. If I'm in a fairly relaxed mood, bedtime will do. If they're generally driving me nuts, they've got to do it NOW! Poor little angels.

Sometimes reminding them to pick them all up just starts another Nerf war all over again :rolleyes:. I hate it when that happens.

Best wishes

Cassy

My kids lost interest in nerf pretty quickly when they realized they had to pick them all up to reload the darn thing.

Now we have lost most of the darts because they have left them places and the dogs have chewed them.

But, we used to do toy jail. Leave a toy out, you get one warning, if it is still not picked up, it goes to toy jail for as long as I see fit. It might get let out early on good behavior, it might get an extended sentence. ;)

Between the three boys, we must have thousands of nerf darts. I designated a huge tub to serve as the "nerf ammo box" and all the darts have to be in there when they're done playing. The small guns go in the tub too, with bigger guns on shelves next to it. They've been really good about putting it all away.

First off Nerf guns are supposed to be an outside toy. (Except for when daddy startes playing and gets everyone riled up. :tongue_smilie: )

It isn't so bad when the darts are outside instead of in the house. They have a bucket to store the darts and knew if they don't police thier darts they will have to shell out thier hard earned money for more. On the occasion that they have shot them inside, I just make the horrible-face-of-annoyance and feign inability to cook while my house is a war zone. DH usually gets them moving quickly to clean after that. Evidentally a man's stomach is not only the way to his heart, but also his ability to pick up after himself! :D

It seems the obvious answer is to make the offenders pick them up, but I know how busy life can get with multiple children in the house. If they don't pick them up, then you get to pick them up and bring them back out to play with on your terms - maybe after another chore is completed or maybe just when you want to have a nerf gun fight!

This is what happens here if you don't pick up your darts.:D. ( I knew I had this pic somewhere - it's youngest dd)

ETA: Please don't include the pic in a quote because I will probably freak in a while and want to delete it. Thanks!

Edited by Horton

Easy peasy. If they bother you and you want him to pick them up, YOU pick them up and he has to buy them back.

Yep. This works well in my house with THREE boys shooting nerf guns. Ugh. I hate them.

I admit that I sometimes resort to screaming, 'pick up your toys!!!!!' :001_huh:

I make him pick them up after playing too. But it is funny the crazy places we find them a long time after. We just found one deep in our Christmas tree when we were taking it to the curb :001_smile:

I do like the idea of collecting them up and charging to get them back. Gosh, I wish I was a creative mom ;)

i slowly threw them away. by the time they were all gone, my ds forgot about the toy and then i throw the gun part away. mean, i know, but i couldn't stand those things!! i still find one from time to time. don't even ask me about lite brite pegs!!

angel

Edited by angel marie
mispell

This is what happens here if you don't pick up your darts.:D.

My boys think your DD is brilliant! Now all four of them are attempting a similar feat. Hey, I might even get some of those stray darts picked up :D.

Best wishes

Cassy

Not only are they all over the place, but darts are getting damaged/unusable from being walked on, kicked, played with by the cats, or chewed on by animals.

If they are 1) on the floor or 2) rendered unusable due to neglect, they go in the trash. In my home, the policy is "if it's on the floor, it's trash."

Tara