Menu

Non-traditional wedding ring ideas needed please

I'm not into gold or diamonds. I don't wear usually jewelry. I did have a simple, cheap white gold band at one time that withstood quite a bit of abuse before breaking. I would like a new wedding band, but I really don't want anything gold and certainly no diamonds. I also don't want anything that will turn my finger green, bend or break easily, or be uncomfortable to wear. I'd like something I don't need to take off in the shower, to work, to do dishes, or to sleep if such a ring exists. I'm open to any ideas, especially if someone has a non-metal alternative, but really need it to be fairly cheap. Any ideas?

I'm not into gold or diamonds. I don't wear usually jewelry. I did have a simple, cheap white gold band at one time that withstood quite a bit of abuse before breaking. I would like a new wedding band, but I really don't want anything gold and certainly no diamonds. I also don't want anything that will turn my finger green, bend or break easily, or be uncomfortable to wear. I'd like something I don't need to take off in the shower, to work, to do dishes, or to sleep if such a ring exists. I'm open to any ideas, especially if someone has a non-metal alternative, but really need it to be fairly cheap. Any ideas?

Are you open to a tattoo? No? Not even a henna-colored one?

8385cf8e.jpg

Edited by KungFuPanda

The sterling silver rings, how sturdy are those? Would they withstand a bit of abuse? I bent the heck out of my gold band regularly until it finally cracked.

How thin was your band? I garden, wash, clean, generally beat the heck out of my 14k ring, and it's never dented or cracked. I wonder if someone sold you something other than gold?

Sterling Silver bands can go from as cheap as $30 to as much as $1000 depending on the detail and quality. Titanium is the hot wedding band metal lately. What's your price range? I know of a number of good artists on Etsy who make wedding bands of all types, if you are interested pm me and I can send you a list.

How thin was your band? I garden, wash, clean, generally beat the heck out of my 14k ring, and it's never dented or cracked. I wonder if someone sold you something other than gold?

Sterling Silver bands can go from as cheap as $30 to as much as $1000 depending on the detail and quality. Titanium is the hot wedding band metal lately. What's your price range? I know of a number of good artists on Etsy who make wedding bands of all types, if you are interested pm me and I can send you a list.

It was very, very thin and cheap. :)

I am not sure this is what you're looking for but Simply Whispers sells nickel free jewelry that is gold plated. It is therefore cheap. It seems to me to withstand a lot of abuse and does not turn green.

Here are their rings http://www.SimplyWhispersStore.com/rings-.html

I returned some of their stuff way, way after I bought it, and was promptly refunded, so, yes, you could try it and see. But they have rings for under $25.

I have never seen their rings. I wore some of their earrings for a while before finding gold ones that worked.

My dh's is titanium. I bought it online fairly inexpensively to replace his sterling silver one that got mangled while he was working on the car.

It is beautiful and indestructible!

DH loves his titanium ring. It was inexpensive and we had a personal phrase engraved inside. He is REALLY rough on it but it still looks great.

KungFuPanda- I'm really curious how bad the tattoo on the finger would hurt? Also if you don't mind sharing, how long did it take and how much $? Thanks :)

That's not my picture! I don't have any tattoos. I'm sure it would hurt, but when it's done you'll have something to meet all of your criteria.

If you want just a plain band, you could try sterling silver. Or you could try a claddagh ring. James Avery has a nice one. They are fancier than a plain band while still being flat and durable. I have one which I wore at a summer camp and it held up fine (though I wasn't doing the more physical jobs). Several friends of mine have the same ring and have put them through lots of abuse, but they look great. It is rather wide though.

If you want just a plain band, you could try sterling silver. Or you could try a claddagh ring. James Avery has a nice one. They are fancier than a plain band while still being flat and durable. I have one which I wore at a summer camp and it held up fine (though I wasn't doing the more physical jobs). Several friends of mine have the same ring and have put them through lots of abuse, but they look great. It is rather wide though.

That is pretty :)

That's not my picture! I don't have any tattoos. I'm sure it would hurt, but when it's done you'll have something to meet all of your criteria.

Oh! Sorry! I just assumed. I do like it and you're right it would certainly meet my criteria. :) I'll think on it more, but so far when I think about the needle jabbing me I feel more than a little nauseous.

Mine is Tungsten Carbide. It's just like this one only narrower. The linked ring is actually the exact ring my DW has. Each ring cost about $50. They are extremely comfortable and I never take mine off except to swim. It does fine in the shower, cleaning, etc. DW takes hers off to sleep, but that's personal preference, I think. I get compliments all the time, too!

Edited by AdventureMoms

Gold is the only thing that doesn't turn on me. Although I haven't had the pleasure of wearing platinum or any of the other newer metals.

We had claddaugh rings for awhile. Something similar to this.

A sturdy band that could be worn all the time, with no diamonds sticking up to scratch little faces :)

I don't wear gold or diamonds.

My husband bought me this ring about two years ago. Don't let the Tiffany name fool you; it's not expensive. In fact, WOW, did they jack up the price! When dh bought it two years ago, it was $75; now it's $125. It's sterling silver with 'I love you' inscribed on the outside.

I never, ever take it off. It's super comfy, looks pretty much the same as it was right out of the box. I shine it up with toothpaste every once in a while when I think of it in the shower.

I heart my ring. :001_smile:

KungFuPanda- I'm really curious how bad the tattoo on the finger would hurt? Also if you don't mind sharing, how long did it take and how much $? Thanks :)

It is such a small tattoo. Pain is minimal and it would be cheap. I have a pretty large tattoo on my back and the pain for that was more annoying than really painful. Kind of like a sunburn. And that was about $200. I think a ring finger tattoo would be under $50. I like them a lot.

Oh! Sorry! I just assumed. I do like it and you're right it would certainly meet my criteria. :) I'll think on it more, but so far when I think about the needle jabbing me I feel more than a little nauseous.

Do it like the kids do. Go out with DH, let him buy you a few drinks, take some ibuprofen if you must, and go in when you are slightly impaired and a bit numb. :D. Your own personal Margheritaville scenario ;)

It is such a small tattoo. Pain is minimal and it would be cheap. I have a pretty large tattoo on my back and the pain for that was more annoying than really painful. Kind of like a sunburn. And that was about $200. I think a ring finger tattoo would be under $50. I like them a lot.

Thanks for the info. :) I'm not a really wuss about pain. I think it is more the needle thing that is getting to me. I've given birth three times without meds on purpose, lol, but get near me with a needle to draw blood and I'm feeling lightheaded and nauseous. Maybe getting a tattoo wouldn't have the same affect? It is probably more the taking my blood out of my body thing.

$50 would definitely make the price right. I wonder if I could talk dh into it? He doesn't have any tattoos either. Hmmmm.

Do it like the kids do. Go out with DH, let him buy you a few drinks, take some ibuprofen if you must, and go in when you are slightly impaired and a bit numb. :D. Your own personal Margheritaville scenario ;)

Ha! Yeah I'd probably need a drink or two for bravery. Do you think the tattoo artist would be cool with that? :)

Ha! Yeah I'd probably need a drink or two for bravery. Do you think the tattoo artist would be cool with that? :)

You might have to lie. :tongue_smilie:

Many piercers and tattoo artists ask you to sign something stating that you haven't recently consumed alcohol.

Thanks for the info. :) I'm not a really wuss about pain. I think it is more the needle thing that is getting to me. I've given birth three times without meds on purpose, lol, but get near me with a needle to draw blood and I'm feeling lightheaded and nauseous. Maybe getting a tattoo wouldn't have the same affect? It is probably more the taking my blood out of my body thing.

$50 would definitely make the price right. I wonder if I could talk dh into it? He doesn't have any tattoos either. Hmmmm.

WRT price: many shops have a minimum anywhere from 50-100 dollars, depending on how detailed you want the designs, I imagine it wouldn't be much more, if any, than that.

Don't tell the artist if you've been drinking. A reputable artist who doesn't know you won't do a tattoo on someone who is inebriated.

Tattoo needles and blood draw needles are much different. I too pass out when giving blood (or getting immunizations) but I have 3 fairly decent sized tattoos and more planned. :tongue_smilie:

And, just a second reminder that I already mentioned in Nakia's thread about tattooed wedding bands... I've been told by a number of people that the small intricate words/designs of a tattooed ring don't hold and eventually become one big blob. I'm not sure of how truthful this is since I don't have anything that small, but something to look into unless you don't mind eventually having just a solid band.

• 3 weeks later...
Very nice! But, um, how bad did that hurt? I've never gotten a tattoo. Wouldn't it hurt badly in so bony a place?

ThreeBlessings:

From what you said the other day, you're right about boney placements possibly being more uncomfortable, but these days ppl who may have concerns about discomfort often use a numbing agents, which in some ways has almost revolutionized the tattoo industry. Because ppl are now going under the needle who because of such issues would in the past never have considered having it done.

If you still have an interest, and like the idea, you need to talk without commitment to a tattooist at a local, good parlor. It's unprofessional to do a 'hard sell' in a tattoo parlor, so don't worry: they will give you their advice without pressurizing you, I'm sure.

Gold is a pretty soft metal. The higher content of actual gold vs other metal, the softer the ring.

My dh's 18K gold wedding ring flattened on one side and then eventually broke/split. He works hard with his hands though. We replaced it with a tungsten ring from Kay Jewelers. It has held up great.

I have a simple, thin gold band and have never had trouble with mine. It is not misshapen or anything, but I don't do the same type of stuff that dh does.