Menu

To Be or Not to Be...Allowed Outdoors. A Cat Question - Advice Please!

Hello Hive,

I'm mostly an observer, but have posted a couple of times over on the K-8 board. I know there are many animal lovers on these boards and have a question for you.

We currently have two strictly outdoor kitties. Overall, they seem to enjoy the outdoor life, but I think they are also rather keen to come inside. In one month, we are moving to CA and will be living in a more city-like arrangement. My husband says the kitties can come inside but that they would have to be declawed. I know there are all sorts of opinions about declawing, but really, it is a matter of either being left behind (as in find another home for them) or coming in and being declawed.

Anyway, we will have a smallish yard in CA surrounded by a 6ft-high (or maybe higher) cement wall. I know that, technically, declawed kitties should never be allowed outside. However, without their claws, would they even be physically able to scale the cement wall? Do you think I could safely allow them in the backyard without losing them? Our backyard is up against an alley, so they would really need to stay in the yard. If we have to keep them indoors, we will, but if I can offer a safe outdoor option, I would like that too.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Also, any tips on handling a 3000-mile move with cats? I think we are driving...:eek:

I don't believe in declawing cats; especially adults. In fact, I'm not sure they'll even do it.

My vet once said when cats are declawed, the ends of their toes are removed to the first knuckle.

Also, if you don't know you've got a clawing problem, why put a cat through that to begin with?

If your cats are able to go in and out as they please, you shouldn't have a clawing problem.

Without claws, they could probably still jump to the top of the wall.

Declawed cats are fine outdoors; they can climb a tree, catch rodents, etc. And in a true defense/fighting situation, the rear claws are used to disembowel the other cat.

p.s. An outdoor cat will never be happy as an indoor cat; you're setting yourself up for a lot of aggravation...and cat pee everywhere. There's nothing like an angry cat to ruin your house.

Edited by bbkaren

Declawed cats can still climb. I would only let them out supervised or perhaps with a harness/lead w/ some supervision. My parents had one of our cats declawed when I was a kid - they didn't do the rest because my mom felt bad about how much pain the first kitty had. This was an indoor cat but she sometimes snuck outside and was able to climb the two huge trees in the yard.

We have two clawed outdoor cats. We are military and have moved up-teen times with these animals.

1. Don't declaw.

2. On moving day, put kitties in carriers in the car/truck facing people so that you can stick your fingers through the cage door and talk to them....reassuring them the whole way. For longer moves (ie cross-country...we've done this 3x), we let animals out of the cages in the car and they can hang with us and use litter box if needed (put litter box somewhere in vehicle). Also offer food/water...but neither of mine will eat/drink en route. Yours might. We put them back in the carrier for the hotel stays and take them in with us.

3. When you arrive at new place, keep them in for about a month so they can acclimate to new house. Then start letting them out again.

This is what works for us. My cats do NOT like moving, but they adjust just fine.

Hopefully this was not TMI, and I hope your move goes smoothly!

Hmmmm....this is interesting food for thought. What on earth is nail capping? Do the vets handle the capping or do I? The cats are NOT fond of me even approaching their feet, so I don't know if I'm brave enough to handle a capping...:tongue_smilie:

Now I'm wondering if we should just let them have the indoor/outdoor option. We are going to be renting and definitely DON'T want angry peeing cats destroying the house. How does the indoor/outdoor option work...do you keep them in at night? Will the cats be safe outdoors if nails are capped? We have leather furniture and even if they didn't scratch per se, we are concerned they'll puncture the furniture with each jump.

Hmmmm...this is wonderful advice....please keep it coming!

Hmmmm....this is interesting food for thought. What on earth is nail capping? Do the vets handle the capping or do I? The cats are NOT fond of me even approaching their feet, so I don't know if I'm brave enough to handle a capping...:tongue_smilie:

Now I'm wondering if we should just let them have the indoor/outdoor option. We are going to be renting and definitely DON'T want angry peeing cats destroying the house. How does the indoor/outdoor option work...do you keep them in at night? Will the cats be safe outdoors if nails are capped? We have leather furniture and even if they didn't scratch per se, we are concerned they'll puncture the furniture with each jump.

Hmmmm...this is wonderful advice....please keep it coming!

Cat's claws are just like human nails, so if you cap, you have to keep capping. They fall off as the nail grows, get chewed off, and other things. It would be a good option if you are going to keep them in temporarily at the new place before letting them out again. You can get the caps at a pet store or even megamart. You glue them on yourself.

We have two clawed outdoor cats. We are military and have moved up-teen times with these animals.

1. Don't declaw.

2. On moving day, put kitties in carriers in the car/truck facing people so that you can stick your fingers through the cage door and talk to them....reassuring them the whole way. For longer moves (ie cross-country...we've done this 3x), we let animals out of the cages in the car and they can hang with us and use litter box if needed (put litter box somewhere in vehicle). Also offer food/water...but neither of mine will eat/drink en route. Yours might. We put them back in the carrier for the hotel stays and take them in with us.

3. When you arrive at new place, keep them in for about a month so they can acclimate to new house. Then start letting them out again.

This is what works for us. My cats do NOT like moving, but they adjust just fine.

Hopefully this was not TMI, and I hope your move goes smoothly!

This is very helpful, thank you!

Another question. Our home in CA will be on a much busier street and with a much smaller yard. Our backyard is up against our detached garage and then an alley. Is this going to be a safe enough environment for the cats being outdoors? This is one of our concerns and why we were considering the indoor-only option. What say you?

I have indoor/outdoor cats. The female does not like to be cold so she is in for the winter. The male does not like to use the litter box so he goes in and out 3-4 times a day in the winter.

In the spring, summer, fall they are outside all day. Mostly they sit on the porch sunning themselves. I bring them in at night before I go to bed. I get them in by standing at the door with a can of food and calling them. I'll call, open the can so they hear the top coming off, and call again. They are ready to come in within a few moments. Sometimes my male cat will roam farther than the yard and it takes him an extra minute or two to get to the house.

They are not declawed. Every once in a while they will sharpen their claws on the area rug.

P.S. I've moved long distance twice with these two cats. Both times they lost their bowels within 30 miles of the old house. I was better prepared the second time, but the first was a hideous disaster of a stench until I got to a place that I could keep the cats safe while I got the carriers cleaned out.

Edited by Parrothead

We have four cats that used to be indoor/outdoor cats in Ca. They were never one or the other, although they always slept inside at night. When we moved last summer the place where we moved to was on a busy street so we made the decision to have them be indoor only. Before we moved we started keeping them inside (about two weeks) and we were able to bathe them and introduce them to being inside. In that house it was extremely difficult to keep them in, they would run you over to get out. When we moved, it was never an option and since it was a new house they adjusted pretty quickly. We have only had one cat run out one time when we were bringing in groceries. Somehow the change in the environment and them all ready being used to being inside made a difference. I absolutely love having them all inside now and wouldn't change it. They are healthy, clean and no fleas to deal with. Although, I must say they have all put on a lot of weight! :tongue_smilie:

I also love the idea of a cat inclosure and we were going to put one on our patio, like this but since they didn't seem to mind being indoors we haven't done it. I also second the thought that after you move you should keep them indoors for at least a month to help them adjust and in that time you should be able to tell whether they will be able to adjust to living inside full-time.

Edited by fourcatmom

There are alternatives to declawing. The claws can be capped. I wouldn't declaw.

Why do they HAVE to be declawed? If they are partially indoor/outdoor, and you train them to use a scratching post, they won't claw your stuff. At least ours never claws our stuff. Cats have to claw at things, so long as they have the opportunity to do so they should leave your couch alone.

We bought a really nice scratching post, put lots of cat nip on it, and kept moving it around the house until we found a spot where the cat seemed to like it and use it. It settled in our bedroom. She scratches it every time she enters our room and leaves our room. It's a funny little routine she developed. She also claws outside. Honest, she has never clawed anything else!

If we had had any trouble, I would have looked into the claw caps.

:iagree:

I'm going to buy those glue on claws for my indoor/outdoor cat. You glue them on and replace as they pop off. No biggie.

This is very helpful, thank you!

Another question. Our home in CA will be on a much busier street and with a much smaller yard. Our backyard is up against our detached garage and then an alley. Is this going to be a safe enough environment for the cats being outdoors? This is one of our concerns and why we were considering the indoor-only option. What say you?

For MY cats. They would rather die than to be indoor cats. They like to hunt, prowl, bask, and other secret kitty things that I don't even know about. (except kitty TeA...they are fixed...lol). You DO run the risk of them getting hurt, rounded up by the dog catcher, etc by being more urban, but I take that chance. I tried to keep them in after our first move and they were miserable creatures. They just want OUT. I think it depends on the personalities of your particular pets, but once they are use to being out, I don't know it they will tolerate being in. Mine are pickles and will never be cucumbers again. (sorry, really bad analogy!!)

I am against declawing and keeping a cat outdoors. My parents believed that cats should be allowed to go outdoors and out of the maybe 20 cats we had growing up (not all at once :D) probably about 12 of them never returned and the rest of them were unhealthy, even though they received all of their vaccines.

When my mom lost her favorite cat a few years ago I told her she needed to keep the rest of her cats indoors. They didn't like staying indoors, but eventually got used to it and now seem to be very happy. You can easily give an indoor cat enough to do to make them not want to go out.

I say, if you love your cat, let them keep their natural defenses and keep them indoors! If you're worried about them clawing furniture and what not, give them their own tree to claw. My husband built one for our cat and he absolutely loves it.

We've never dictated to our cats what time to come and go... If they want out, they just wait by the door until someone's going in or out. If a cat is out when we're ready to close up for the night, it's out for the night. We don't keep track of who is in and who is out. If it's particularly unpleasant outside, sometimes one of our cats will cry to be let in and we will let it in.

Cats are independent creatures, and are surprisingly adept at finding shelter that keeps them warm in the night.

Mine are pickles and will never be cucumbers again. (sorry, really bad analogy!!)

Ah, profound. A cucumber can always become a pickle, but alas, a pickle can never return to being a cucumber. :001_smile:

You guys really have me wondering if they would like the indoors. Our female always sits at our glass door and stares longingly into our living room. Our male, however, I only see at mealtime. He then goes to his secret outdoor-kitty lair for the remainder of the day. He DOES stay on the porch at night, so they might both appreciate the option to be inside at night.

HOWEVER, I also appreciate the reasons to keep them indoor-only. They would stay clean, no fleas, no cat-spread illnesses, etc. ARG! What to do, what to do....

Well just to make it more complicated, our cats are incredibly clean, have never had fleas, and every one that's died, has died of old age... No diseases, not even worms.

I'd say your decision should be based on what makes you happy and the cats happy.

I understand the safety aspect, but a safe unhappy cat is no pleasure to live with.

Edited by bbkaren

Outdoor cats spread disease, get injured/killed, and are a nusiance to others. JMVHO, cats should be kept inside, especially when declawed.

I've had cats and always had them inside. We found out that the reason dh was so sick because of a severe allergy so we found ours other homes. We can't have dogs either. Therefore, we have every neighborhood cat using our yard as a litter box. We've tried everything to keep them out with no luck. So, take this with a grain of salt. I'm not a fan of cat poop.

We travelled nearly 3,000 miles with my cat when I was 12. We had a collar and leash for potty breaks, a portable litter box for motel rooms and he sat by me (who he loved the most) the entire time. He did just fine. Good luck!

I understand the safety aspect, but a safe unhappy cat is no pleasure to live with.

That seems to be a piece of wisdom many are saying.

Someone mentioned that declawed cats CAN go outdoors - that it is their hind legs they use for self defense. Is this so? I respect the opinions of those against declawing, but my husband is MUCH more open to allowing them indoors if their front nails are gone. I would like to at least offer the kitties the option to come inside, so....

Outdoor cats spread disease, get injured/killed, and are a nusiance to others. JMVHO, cats should be kept inside, especially when declawed.

I've had cats and always had them inside. We found out that the reason dh was so sick because of a severe allergy so we found ours other homes. We can't have dogs either. Therefore, we have every neighborhood cat using our yard as a litter box. We've tried everything to keep them out with no luck. So, take this with a grain of salt. I'm not a fan of cat poop.

We travelled nearly 3,000 miles with my cat when I was 12. We had a collar and leash for potty breaks, a portable litter box for motel rooms and he sat by me (who he loved the most) the entire time. He did just fine. Good luck!

Hmmm....I appreciate this opinion as well. I've wondered if my cats are an annoyance to others. I'll have to take this into consideration with our decision...

Outdoor kitties are just that outdoor kitties.

I had a barn cat that we tried to convience to stay inside, lasted till it was about a year. Then it wasn't worth the effort to get out without letting her out she was fast. She was declawed and lived to about 7 till she got sick and was let out by boys while I was trying to nurse her infected leg. She was indoor/outdoor caught birds ect.

We live on acrearge and only have one neighbor we can see so I know she didn't bother them. ;)

Edited by jennsmile

Someone mentioned that declawed cats CAN go outdoors - that it is their hind legs they use for self defense. Is this so? I respect the opinions of those against declawing, but my husband is MUCH more open to allowing them indoors if their front nails are gone. I would like to at least offer the kitties the option to come inside, so....

Just remember that it's not really their nails being gone, but rather you're chopping off their fingers, basically. Perhaps that's ok with you... and as my cats DO claw my furniture.... sometimes I wanna chop their little cute heads off :( But.... alas, I can't mutilate their bodies... so I have no new furniture.

I do have friends with cats and nice furniture, and our last cat was fine....

I honestly would rehome them to someone right by you, if there's someone who would take them. I am of the belief that cats should be only inside, but know that an outside kitty will not be happy inside. I think if you are going to keep them inside, make sure they have their flea meds and try it right now. If they won't stay inside, it's probably better to give them to a willing neighbor.

Just my thoughts....

...and in our case it is hard, painfully-won wisdom indeed!

In my life I've had about a dozen cats, and 2 of them were declawed on the front. They were allowed outside at will, and behaved and performed exactly as any other cat.

And yes, that's what I'm told, that they use their rear claws to disembowel the other cat in a real fight. Instead of the drama that we perceive, most cat fights are not real fights; they're usually just territorial spats.

But as I mentioned previously, I'm not sure a vet will declaw an adult cat.

Not a fan of declawing either, but if that's the only way they can stay with you, then it's the better way to go IMO. I wouldn't let them out in such an environment without being on leash or having an outdoor enclosure - top included. Cats are highly adaptable. They will probably love being inside where it's warm in the winter, cool in the summer and dry when it's raining. :) A good cat play area and lots of toys and they'll love their life indoors. I'm sure there are exceptions, but this has been out experience.

For the trip I'd recommend tranquilizers - for the kitties and you too. :tongue_smilie: If you plan on declawing, I would do it well before the move. Get a couple of good hard-sided cat carriers and take them on short rides in the car. Don't let their only experience with this be going to the vet and being declawed or they'll look at you like this :blink: and run and hide when they see the carrier. :lol: I'd get the carriers now, and you can even put their food in them so they build some good associations with them. If you have a van, you can set up a litter box for them to use on the trip as that would be easier than having to walk them often.

Let us know how it goes! :)

If you think your husband can be at all persuaded to let them keep their claws, there's lots online to help back up the reasons.

I wonder if any vet would declaw an adult cat. If they are really going to be an imposition maybe you could consider giving them to a shelter who can find them another home.

Our vet actually will declaw the kitties. In fact, their own many kitties are declawed. So that part isn't a problem.

I'm not sure if imposition is the right word, but you are right that we have concerns over our various options here. I love our kitties and want the best, but I also love my husband and want him to be happy as well. :tongue_smilie: He is totally open to allowing them inside...if they are declawed. I'm trying to figure out what the best scenario is here. But you are right - I wonder, as much as I love them, if a new home where they will be more free is better? Or should I risk an indoor/outdoor arrangement with them declawed? It sounds like maybe my outdoor kitties might not transition well to indoor-only. My male cat especially...then again, he is totally a lazy blob and might love the indoor life. You guys can obviously tell I'm having a bit of trouble hammering a decision down here!

Thank you for all of these thoughts, ladies. I've been in conflict over this for a while and really need to make a decision on how to proceed.

We have had A LOT of cats over the past 10 years... like 10 or more? Out of all of those we did not have ONE single cat that scratched where it wasn't supposed to. We have always kept a cat tree with sisal rope on it for them to scratch and that's what they do.

Declawing adult cats is horrible. It's would be like amputating all of your fingers at the first knuckle.

If you husband insists then I would honestly find a new home for both the cats.

Another thing to consider is most cats will not be content going from being exclusively outside cats to indoor cats. They're also used to marking their territories outside... that may not stop once they're inside.

p.s. An outdoor cat will never be happy as an indoor cat; you're setting yourself up for a lot of aggravation...and cat pee everywhere. There's nothing like an angry cat to ruin your house.

I disagree. We have taken in several strays that were outdoors for a long time. One of them was 5 years old (according to the vet) when we moved and decided to take him with us and make him an indoor cat. He is now 19 years old and hasn't been outside in many years and he doesn't mind a bit.

I used to declaw my cats, but one cat was in so much pain that I found out more about it and will never do it again. Also, I *really* dislike when people let their cats run around outside. Not only do they usually end up flat on the road, but I get other people's cats in my garage and chasing birds at my birdfeeder.:glare: I have 6 cats and they all stay indoors. I love cats, and I feel bad about chasing off all the cats that show up at my house.

I could say all of that about my kids. Should I keep them inside always?

I adopted a cat from a shelter. I believe she was probably an outdoor/indoor cat. I kept her inside for a year, but it was such a pain because she kept trying to run out the door. I finally gave up. I was afraid she wouldn't come back. She always comes back. In fact, she barely leaves our small yard. I feel like she is much happier if I let her out periodically. Of course there are risks, but what the heck, she is an animal. Of course she wants to romp in the grass and climb a tree.

But your kids don't come and poop in my yard where my kids are sure to step in it and track it into the house. If your children did come into my yard and poop, then I would say the answer is yes. Please keep you children in your home.

In Clark County, Nevada there is a containment law for cats. They must be kept on your property or restrained, just like a dog would.

I would never ever declaw a cat. It's cruel and inhumane. I have 5 cats and use softpaws if there is a problem, and I clip their nails. One of my cats is evil incarnate and I can still clip her nails. I am also 100% a supporter of indoor-only cats. They get killed easily, break children's hearts when they run off/die/get eaten by raccoons, and they kill off the songbird populations which are really down in many areas. We had in/out cats when I was growing up and would never, ever let my cats out. There's always an alternative.

They might be unable to climb out....but could another cat with claws climb in? How would they defend themselves? You would have to stay outside with them.

I grew up in S. California with indoor/outdoor cats. Some got hit by cars, all had fleas....

Now, in Illinois, our three cats are indoor only. Declawed in front. No fleas, no cat fights, no worry about cars, etc. They all share one cat box, too - I clean it out twice a day (I have no sense of smell, btw.)

Hello Hive,

I'm mostly an observer, but have posted a couple of times over on the K-8 board. I know there are many animal lovers on these boards and have a question for you.

We currently have two strictly outdoor kitties. Overall, they seem to enjoy the outdoor life, but I think they are also rather keen to come inside. In one month, we are moving to CA and will be living in a more city-like arrangement. My husband says the kitties can come inside but that they would have to be declawed. I know there are all sorts of opinions about declawing, but really, it is a matter of either being left behind (as in find another home for them) or coming in and being declawed.

Anyway, we will have a smallish yard in CA surrounded by a 6ft-high (or maybe higher) cement wall. I know that, technically, declawed kitties should never be allowed outside. However, without their claws, would they even be physically able to scale the cement wall? Do you think I could safely allow them in the backyard without losing them? Our backyard is up against an alley, so they would really need to stay in the yard. If we have to keep them indoors, we will, but if I can offer a safe outdoor option, I would like that too.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Also, any tips on handling a 3000-mile move with cats? I think we are driving...:eek:

We have two cats who are indoor/outdoor. They don't claw the furniture and they are great with the litter box too (in summer they 'go' outside, in winter frigid temps, they'll use the litter box) We never 'trained' them. It's just been their nature. You can probably count on some kind of cat fight at some point. If they are males it just seems to happen.

My female was about 1.5 years old when we adopted her. She was abandoned at a friends house and became pregnant. They found home for the kittens and we took her. She has never been outside again except when going to the vet.

We have large scratching posts, cat toys and spend time playing with the cats.

We have 3 cats total.

The boys were abandoned and going to be killed by the people who found them so we hand reared the litter of 2 week olds and kept two of them.

The boys also have never been outside except for the vets or a animal talk that I give(school or 4-H group.)

None of the cats ever try to get out. Sometimes they try to walk into the attached garage but our dog kennels are in there and there food is in there and the cats only seem to try to go in there when we are doing a project.

You can train cats to do many things that YOU want them to do but it does take work and therefor many people give up.

Declawing cats at any age can cause health issues but a cat over 1 year old does have additional risks of bleeding and permanent issues with pain/healing and possible difficulty walking. You do need to be aware that if they are older then 1 year you might need to have numerous visits, foot soakings, medications and not let them out due to possible complications from the surgery. They might not have any real problems either but the possibilities are much higher as they are over 1 year of age.

I'll second the thought that once you have a cat used to being outside, the cat will NEVER be happy exclusively indoors. They will find a way out - even if it means tripping you at the door when you come home :)

I agree with this wholeheartedly. An outdoor cat will NEVER be happy inside. I don't see why declawing a cat and caging it indoors should be a considered a lesser evil than re-homing the cat. It in fact, sounds 10 times more awful to me!

I currently have four housecats and had two older ones previously. My first four cats were declawed but the last two are not. They were all indoor only ever. I have a huge $300 cat tree and a smaller one in the living room and yet the younger two still claw the backs of the couches. I have no idea why but I haven't been able to break them of that habit.

Almost all of my cats are male cats and there have been major territorial battles between the alpha and whichever cat is currently three (so a few different combinations). Sometime neither cat had front claws and sometimes one did and another did not. It didn't seem to make any difference in the outcome what-so-ever. They are also perfectly capable mousers and hold their own with the dogs.

I personally do not think an outdoor cats is as safe as an indoor cat. They are exposed to fights, diseases, poisins, cars, dogs, etc. A cat can easily jump a six foot height in a single bound even without claws. My cats do it all the time so you would not be able to contain them.

We have traveled across country with most of them. Our method requires a larger vehicle but it kept them safe. First we transported them to and from the car in their car carriers. Once everyone was inside the car and the car was in motion we would release them from their cages and they were free to roam the car as they wished and make themselves at home anywhere but under the drivers feet or on the dashboard. We always set up a liter box in the back of the van and they used it just like normal. We offered food and water at stops and always put them back in their cages before opening any doors. They don't particularly like to travel but they do well and we have never lost one.

Look into softpaws (soft rubber covers for the cats nails). My grandparents use them on their cats and have no issues with the cats scratching. They need to be replaced by the vet every 4-6 months but it is fairly cheap and easy (and much better than declawing). It would also give you the option of allowing them outside if you move again.

I have had four cats as an adult- all declawed front paws and all indoor cats. None have had any problems with either the declawing or moving.

I never understood why people bring up the issue of cats scratching to trim nails. That isn't why they do it since I have watched my declawed cats for years and years. They do it to mark territory in the same way and they rub their cheeks against something. My cats always put their paws on various pieces of furniture and claimed them.

My first two were declawed as five and six year olds when we got them and my next two were declawed as kittens.

There are alternatives to declawing. The claws can be capped. I wouldn't declaw.

Why do they HAVE to be declawed? If they are partially indoor/outdoor, and you train them to use a scratching post, they won't claw your stuff. At least ours never claws our stuff. Cats have to claw at things, so long as they have the opportunity to do so they should leave your couch alone.

We bought a really nice scratching post, put lots of cat nip on it, and kept moving it around the house until we found a spot where the cat seemed to like it and use it. It settled in our bedroom. She scratches it every time she enters our room and leaves our room. It's a funny little routine she developed. She also claws outside. Honest, she has never clawed anything else!

If we had had any trouble, I would have looked into the claw caps.

:iagree::iagree: Please if you can find an alternative don't declaw.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. An outdoor cat will NEVER be happy inside. I don't see why declawing a cat and caging it indoors should be a considered a lesser evil than re-homing the cat. It in fact, sounds 10 times more awful to me!

We have outdoor cats who have no interest in ever going outside again - they've got it waaaay too good inside. :) Cats are attached to their human servants, not their surroundings, so that would be a loss for them if they were re-homed. There are so many cats needing homes that the chances that a couple of older cats would be adopted, together, is not great. I agree about the declawing and hope that OP's husband would be willing to try the scratch posts, clipping the nails, etc.. It's also important to have cat friendly fabrics, like microfiber, on the furniture.

We live in the country. Our kitties love to go outside in the morning and throughout the day, but they are inside most of the time. Since we have coyotes and various other predators on our property and in the neighborhood in general, we have made a choice not to de-claw them.

I will say that my leather couch has become the victim of their "scratching" and it is now ruined. My dh loves his kitties and declawing isn't an option.

I don't think they would make a move to the city very well, but would be willing to try it, so my hubby could still have his kitties, but I think I would enter this decision with the understanding that the kitties may disappear in the new neighborhood.

FWIW.

We have 5 cats and only one is declawed. I won't ever declaw again. Fortunately, the one we did it to didn't have any side effects and still used the litterbox but bleeding and infection can occur and littlerbox aversion can also be an issue. After declawing, which removes the last bony digit of the paw, the cat (particularly an adult) will find that scooping litter feels strange or painful and that can lead to the litterbox issues.

We have opted to use scratching posts and soft claws. We also use Sscat which is a non-toxic aerosol spray that detects motion and keeps the cats away from places they aren't allowed. The Sscat works great! We used to have a problem with certain cats sneaking up onto the kitchen counters but a couple sprays of Sscat has cured that. The cats don't like the sound and the spray (just canned air). Now, just seeing the can will keep them away from prohibited areas. :) We have a kitten who likes to play claw so he is currently wearing alternating green and red soft paws for Christmas. So cute too! The other cats have learned not to scratch or sharpen their claws on anything but their scratching post. Through the use of verbal correction, removal from the area and Sscat we have very house friendly cats.

All this said, I firmly believe that any pet cats whether they are clawed or declawed should be inside and not allowed unsupervised outside. Also firmly believe that all should be spayed or neutered and wearing breakaway collars (safest) with ID (additionally microchipped) and up to date on all shots.

One thing I've learned from many years of owning cats. They can be trained and while they can be very stubborn and bossy, they can be taught new rules with consistency and vigilance. I've lived in CA and the housing situation you describe is IMO not safe for allowing outdoor freedom to continue. I think you already know this because of your posting. Don't forget, you are the one in charge. The cats may complain and grumble about the new inside rules but in time they will adapt. I recommend you check out Sscat, get some scratching posts and teach the cats to use them, routinely clip their nails and look into Soft Paws. We clip our cats nails and apply the Soft Paws ourselves. It is not that difficult if you have trained the cats to allow manipulation of their feet. Otherwise, a vet can clip and apply the Soft Paws.

These are all very helpful posts, thank you!

After entertaining the idea of allowing the kitties to be indoor/outdoor in CA, we've decided we just wouldn't be able to take that chance. It is just too urban and I think you guys are right - we might lose them, they might get sick, and they would have a heightened chance of being hit by the car. I'm also sensitive to what would be very-close-in-proximity neighbors who might not appreciate cats in their yard. Right now, we have lots of property where that hasn't been an issue, but alas SoCal is not known for being able to have "lots of property". :) These kitties will need to be indoor only.

I tried introducing them to the indoors last night. Our female, who has been staring into my living room for years, immediately leaped in and enjoyed a dinner placed on our kitchen floor. I've opened our door again today and she has been either roaming the house or hanging out under my bed. She hasn't yet tried to go back outside, even with the door wide open. I'm thinking she will adjust to indoor life just fine and has actually been waiting for this moment. :lol:

Now our male, on the other hand, is much more skittish. He isn't afraid of me at all, but he is nervous to enter the house. He will come if I sit by the door, but he only stays in the entrance. I think his adjustment will be the one to worry about. However, he is a wimp in general. He is my huge fluff ball that sat on my feet and cowered under my legs in fear of 4th of July fireworks. It could be that he is just nervous in regards to new things, but would actually adjust to indoor life very well. He IS very lazy. And he is the one that would benefit the most from coming inside. He is our kitty that has been chased by dogs and who has had trips to the vet. I really would like to spare him from these things.

Many of you have warned that outdoor kitties will NOT like to be indoors and we are taking that to heart. We are going to try to make this adjustment with "eyes wide open". I AM hopeful, though. My sister has just allowed 11 practically feral kitties into her home and they seem to be adjusting...I think. :tongue_smilie: I would love to hear more advice on how to go about this transition from those of you that have posted success...or not success! We are thinking we should bring them in now, before the move. Perhaps a move AND new life could be too much. Our current house isn't very conducive to indoor kitties, but we are willing to try.

Now, in regards to the declawing. I should have known this would spark some strong feelings. I really do appreciate your opinions and will continue to research this. Our vet did say that they DON'T use the "guillotine" style...no amputation of digits. I have known many kitties that are happy indoor cats...with no claws. And I PLEASE don't want my husband to be the bad guy...I don't think I posted well earlier. He has made declawing a condition to coming inside. I want to consider his wishes and really, I agree with where he is coming from. I'm on his side here.

I don't think declawing my kitties and allowing them to live in the lap of luxury, no longer being chased by dogs, will be torture. :)

With that said, I AM very interested in this softpaws thing. Especially if this is something the vet takes care of. I did some research last night on do-at-home nail caps and read reviews of struggling to keep those caps on. If a vet can do a professional adhesive that lasts months however....well, that is worth consideration. I'll talk to the vet today about it.

Thank again, everyone!

How old are the cats? If they are older than a year I'd find them a new home rather than declaw them. It involves amuptating the toes at the first knuckle and a bigger cat puts too much weight on the toes for them to heal easily. Very painful for older cats and they have to adjust to walking minus part of their toes. Find them a new home.

I've had cats for almost as long as I've been married (37 years, TYVM), and have never had problems with my un-declawed cats tearing up the furniture. A couple of them *tried* to, but I have a squirt bottle and I know how to use it. :D

I understand that you want to take your dh's wishes into consideration, but perhaps he is uneducated. I see nothing wrong with helping him along.

There are tons of strays and pet cats in my neighborhood (everyone here has very tiny yards too) and I've never come across cat poop.

Maybe my kids won't poop in someone's yard, but other annoying things can happen.

Cats bury their poop. The PP should keep their eye out for some other animal as their culprit! ;-)

Cats bury their poop. The PP should keep their eye out for some other animal as their culprit! ;-)

I have owned cats. I know cats bury their poop. That said, I have watched these cats with my own eyes squat then walk away. They poop on top of dirt, grass, even gravel. They pooped directly under the boys' swings. They don't cover it.

We live in a suburban, desert environment, with cinder block walls surrounding 3 sides of our yard and a gate on the other. There are no wild coyotes where our house is. These are domesticated cats copping a squat in our yard.

We have tried mouse traps, moth balls, even bought coyote urine to spray in the yard. We have tried putting deterents on the walls. We have tried everything.

I guess you just caught my on a bad week. We just finished shoveling up an entire black trash bag full of cat waste from our never-used side yard (in the front) so that we could lay down rock. It's dang irritating. And dang irresponsible of pet owners to think that their neighbors wouldn't mind picking up their cats' mess.

JMVHO, dogs aren't allowed to wonder all over the neighborhood and poop wherever they please. I don't think cats should be any different. Again, just my 2 pennies.

I worked in the city shelter system for 3 years. I have a lot of baggage concerning pets. So, please take my answers with a grain of salt. You can only see so many mangled, smooshed, diseased, dying cats before you begin to think they should be kept inside.