Menu

Your Thoughts on Charlie Brown!

My kids are watching "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" right now. When I was a kid I loved those shows, but as an adult, I hate them. Those kids are so incredibly mean to CB. I just can't stand watching it. I want to smack them all. Does anyone else feel this way? or is it just me?

I saw the set of all the holiday DVD's several years ago and was so excited I bought it. Thinking of all the holidays I was excited to see Charlie Brown. They are AWFUL!! They talk terrible to Charlie Brown and each other. Lucy is the ultimate Queen Bee and the kids are all followers. Wretched cartoons but my kids love them and I loved them as a kid. They didn't hurt me and I think/thought on them with fondness. Weird. :)

We love Charlie Brown here. The shows depict so many typical personalities that our kids will come across at some time or other in thier life. My kids really feel sorry for Charlie Brown, and always comment on how bossy Lucy is. They can't believe how pushy Peppermint Patty is, and can't believe some of the things she says and does. Many people can relate to the characters in one way or another. I don't think the shows encourage negative behavior, at least I haven't seen it here, and we have watched these shows for years. :D

I felt sad for Charlie Brown as a child, and still feel sad for him as an adult. But we watch the shows anyway.

This. At least the Thanksgiving story had the right ship and voyage! I heard a song this week that talked about Columbus, and even my kids were like, umm...mom, Columbus did not even land in the US. :glare:

… horrible. …

… it moves too slow and they're not funny at all. They're actually kind of a downer.

:iagree:

… They are AWFUL!! They talk terrible to Charlie Brown and each other.…

:iagree:

I couldn't stand them when I was a child, and I still cannot stand them!

(Except for Pigpen - I can identify with Pigpen! :D)

LOVE Charlie Brown!

We have the holiday videos, and my kids watch them. We've had a lot of conversations about how the characters are not always kind to each other - and how we don't call people 'stupid' or 'blockhead.'

For me, the charm outweighs any negative words.

I think that Charlie Brown is a 'love it or hate it' kind of thing.

Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang are huge around here. Mommy even has a Snoopy tattoo. My children read all of the old comics etc. They do not emulate the behavior but honestly, I think it has helped them learn how to empathize and to take more care to not be like Lucy and some of the others. They tend to identify more closely with Linus and we all just love Snoopy.

I agree and I also think they concentrate too much on adult topics like flirting and getting boys attention and relationships. I loved the shows when I was younger, too, but I am disappointed as a parent. They also say stupid and dumb a lot. Those are bad words in our family. But, I do still like the Christmas episode, but so far that is all.

I remember them fondly, but when I watch them now I just feel like they are depressing. The only funny part I remember is when Snoopy is mocking Lucy bossing everyone around during the Christmas play. :001_smile:

As a kid, I totally would have been out in the pumpkin patch with Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin. I wouldn't have yelled at him, either, when the Great Pumpkin didn't show up. :tongue_smilie:

Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang are huge around here. My children read all of the old comics etc. They do not emulate the behavior but honestly, I think it has helped them learn how to empathize and to take more care to not be like Lucy and some of the others. They tend to identify more closely with Linus and we all just love Snoopy.

My kids LOVE Peanuts. Yes, they feel sorry for Charlie Brown. They also feel sorry for kids in real life that get picked on. I call my husband "My Sweet Babboo". They love Snoopy and get excited when they hear the song on the radio about Snoopy and The Red Baron celebrating Christmas together.

Loved it as a kid. I can still remember going to the theaters for the Peanuts movies (I forgot what they were called). My brother is still a huge, huge, huge Peanuts gang fan....and he's 46. I think he had (probably still has) every single book by Charles M. Schulz. But, I like the original voices, not the newer voices. :tongue_smilie:

I loved Peanuts and still do. I'm more sensitive to it now as an adult. I think that it actually shows how mean little kids can be. Even a kid's friends can be mean to them. But you know what, Charlie Brown always survives.

We like some of the shows more than others. The Christmas Show is a favorite.

I saw the set of all the holiday DVD's several years ago and was so excited I bought it. Thinking of all the holidays I was excited to see Charlie Brown. They are AWFUL!! They talk terrible to Charlie Brown and each other. Lucy is the ultimate Queen Bee and the kids are all followers. Wretched cartoons but my kids love them and I loved them as a kid. They didn't hurt me and I think/thought on them with fondness. Weird. :)

This wholly. We have the Great Pumpkin, Thanksgiving and Christmas ones (bought in a set) because dd loves snoopy.

Am I the only one who thinks there is great value in the kids seeing the various "bad" characters? I thought the whole point was to watch, realize how awful it is to be bossy like Marcie, and vow not to be like her. That is how i interpret the whole thing.

I feel the same way. Even that bratty kid from Rugrats whose name escapes me now had teaching value. No, I just don't find Charlie Brown entertaining, but I have no issue with the characters.

Am I the only one who thinks there is great value in the kids seeing the various "bad" characters? I thought the whole point was to watch, realize how awful it is to be bossy like Marcie, and vow not to be like her. That is how i interpret the whole thing.

This!!!! It's satire folks. If your children are going to emulate Lucy don't let them watch it. Lucy is the "dumb villain" character. Charles Schulz was a genius with a beautiful soul. I saw a Charlie Brown sweatshirt in WM that stated "It's all about the presents" and told DH the author would roll over in his grave if he knew. The satire is meant to promote generosity, kindness, and a positive outlook by showing the reverse in action. What a dry sense of humor it shows. Quite the reverse of the shrill comedies popular today.

the older I get, the more I appreciate how accurate he was about human nature:) And I love the artwork, too.

I agree. I quite like the classics (not the new ones, though they may be ok; I just haven't seen them). There always seems to be somebody to counter the meanness and cynicism, such as Linus, or to point out the rudeness (as Marci does at Thanksgiving, gently reminding Patty that she invited herself to dinner). Lucy never gets the guy, Sally doesn't dissuade Linus from seeking the most sincere pumpkin patch, and Flying Ace Snoopy tacitly suggests that there are more important concerns than a rock in the trick-or-treat bag.

And to think an old college prof nearly ruined the Peanuts for me by trying to make them fit the Jungian archetypes. :)

Now that you mention it I think I had mixed feelings about it as a child. It was always exciting to be able to stay up to watch the specials as a kid but I think I found them somewhat boring. Maybe mean characters like Lucy made it kind of boring. I loved Snoopy though and all the Snoopy and Charlie Brown commercial products were so popular back then. The music made them more fun too.

I haven't seen any of it since I was a child. I might try watching it with my children but will turn it off if it's cruel. There is a big waiting list at our library for the DVDs. Are they making a comeback?

The stuff I watched as a child is overall much more violent and cruel than what I let my children watch today.

We love Charlie Brown/Peanuts!!

and this

PBS has a documentary on Charles Schulz. I don't know if it's on netflix or anything but it has a lot of good information about how/why he wrote the comic strip.

I know what you mean, OP, but I love them and so does my son. We went to see "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" at the theater (Northwestern Univ.).

I agree with this except that I've never seen Marcie be bossy.

I love that the characters are imperfect and I really don't think any of it is lost on the kids. I don't know any kid who thinks of Lucy as a role model!

We are all big Charlie Brown fans here. My kids learned empathy and how not to behave. Every Halloween someone gets a rock.

I think kids love the characters because they ring true. They may be extreme examples of human behavior but they are real.

To this day I remember one moment of kindness from my older sister due to Charlie Brown (there were others, but this one always stands out.). We were watching Snoopy come home and I was crying because Snoopy left. My sister said to me "Don't cry, he comes home."

My kids are watching "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" right now. When I was a kid I loved those shows, but as an adult, I hate them. Those kids are so incredibly mean to CB. I just can't stand watching it. I want to smack them all. Does anyone else feel this way? or is it just me?

I feel the same way, but I also feel that way about many of the current children's programming. The way various characters speak to each other is appalling.