Menu

Words you can't say

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On another note, can someone tell if Minnesotans actually do have an accent, or is this just propaganda:) ? (I just watched the movie "New in Town")

Yes, they really do. I'm from Illinois which has the beginninings of the Northern accent. It seems to get stronger as you head upwards and leftwards. (lol, North and West, for those of you who like those kinds of terms.) ;)

In my college days I once asked the bartender if "the chippers were still peach". This was after saying it over and over in my head as I was walking up to the bar so I would say it right. I meant to ask if "the pitchers were still cheap". Needless to say, he didn't serve me anymore alcohol. :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol::lol: Made me LOL.

I have trouble saying the word OUR. I think I always say HOUR instead. Actually, I'm not even sure exactly how OUR is supposed to be pronounced.

(DH always teases me, which is how I know I'm saying it wrong).

And speaking of my dh, he always mispronounces words incorrectly on purpose, which ends up messing me up when I am saying the words out loud. For instance, he jokingly refers to salmon as SAL-MON (like it's spelled). Now when I say the word, I have to really think about it. Also, I worry that my kiddos are going to pick up his pronunciations...they don't know he's joking!

Edited by mandos mom

And speaking of my dh, he always mispronounces words incorrectly on purpose, which ends up messing me up when I am saying the words out loud. For instance, he jokingly refers to salmon as SAL-MON (like it's spelled). Now when I say the word, I have to really think about it. Also, I worry that my kiddos are going to pick up his pronunciations...they don't know he's joking!
Yep, that is what will happen. They will use these pronunciations for the rest of their lives. And they will insist to others that THEIR pronunciation is correct until proven otherwise. :tongue_smilie:

My sil says "clo-thez". English is not her first language so I admire her command of the language but it's cute that she says "clo-thez" for clothes.

another friend says

Home Depot without making the t silent

Hometown Buffet is "Hometown Boo-fett" :glare: arrrrgggghhhhh

for realtor she says "reee-lah-tor"

neither my daughter nor I can say quarter: it comes out "kwaaht-ur" (as if we were from Boston) instead of "kwor-ter" (??????)

finally hubby and I disagree on the pronounciation of ancient

I say aaaayn-shnt, he says aaaynkk-shnt

Btw, I always have trouble with 'Worcestershire' sauce.

I've taken to intentionally mispronouncing it to amuse my kids (and annoy dh who insist it's pronounces "wooshter" or something like that...).

"This recipe needs some woo-chester sauce"

Kid: :001_huh:

Me: "Woo chech er" sauce!"

Kid: :001_huh:

When I finally get tired of making new ways to say it: War Cess Ter Shire sauce!

Kid: "Okay! I don't think I know where that is..." :tongue_smilie: (and if my 14 yo, who "gets" me, is handy, he will, with a straight face, hand me the vanilla extract. :D)

I was wondering if anyone would look that up! Yep, just like your smiley there! Perhaps it is peeing? :D

I couldn't believe there was a word for it! :001_huh:

No, I knew that micturition was the $5 word for urinate. We used to discuss it when I worked in the hospital, how we never use such big clinical words in ANY setting, with Drs or without. And I knew syncope from there, too. I had never thought of them together.

I have felt like I was going to pass out from vomitting which is that same vagus nerve stimulation, but I've never actually :svengo:

When I finally get tired of making new ways to say it: War Cess Ter Shire sauce!

Kid: "Okay! I don't think I know where that is..." :tongue_smilie: (and if my 14 yo, who "gets" me, is handy, he will, with a straight face, hand me the vanilla extract. :D)

Woos-tuh-shuh sauce.

Laura

I have felt like I was going to pass out from vomitting which is that same vagus nerve stimulation, but I've never actually :svengo:
Actually, I think it is more of a low blood pressure thing. I have low blood pressure to start with and if you combine the relaxation associate with urinating with other things which lower blood pressure, then I can end up on the floor. My worst injury occurred when five things conspired against me: starting with my low blood pressure, I was awakened from sleeping, walked up two flights of stairs, tripped and fell over a vacuum-cleaner hose (I was injured and shocky) and the urinating finally did me in. I nearly ended up in the hospital that night with a huge gash in my skull!

Fortunately this does not happen often and I have a better idea of what causes it. It's a strange thing, no doubt.

I have trouble saying the word OUR. I think I always say HOUR instead. Actually, I'm not even sure exactly how OUR is supposed to be pronounced.

I think he's pulling your leg about hour and our. They're homophones. Or does he pronounce our like are?

Guest submarines

I just googled, and you are not supposed to say the L in salmon? :confused: Is it regional? Or I haven't been paying attention? :001_huh:

This is kind of not the same thing and after I say this I am going to crawl under a rock and stay there for a while....

I could not read the passage from WWE2 of The Owl and the Pussy cat. I just could not say that word as many times as necessary without turning beet red in the face and laughing like a 7 year old who just said the word "butt or fart."

:o I cannot believe I am admitting this to the public.

My husband tells me that I always pronounce Don incorrectly -- he says I'm saying Dawn. I had no idea that /o/ and /aw/ didn't sound the same... :001_huh:

That depends on the word & where you're from I've lived in places where Dawn & Don are pronounced exactly the same & it's correct :).

Ok. It's a word I can say, but pianist. I just can't say it with a straight face...

I can, since I teach piano, but this morning I used it in front of my dh, and naturally he had to make a joke (the kids were all still in bed.) He may have ruined it for me. I'd heard the phonetic relationship to urine, but not to a male body part.

Woos-tuh-shuh sauce.

Laura

Makes sense, since even Worcester, MA rhymes with wooster. We grew up saying the sauce the wrong way (worshestersher sauce), so I don't even bother saying it since we don't buy it.

We have had a lot of pronunciation discussions at our house since dh is from NJ, I'm from Canada & my dc were born & raised in this state, and, worse still, in a part of the state with an accent that sounds very uneducated. In MA every town has its own accent, much like England does, but not exactly the the same ones. I have a strong American accent when I'm in the States that varies greatly depending on who I'm talking with, but there are some words I'll never say certain ways, even if there is an American drawl in them when I say them here. (I know, some Americans are wondering why I say this because Americans only think some Americans have a drawl, whereas Canadians think that all Americans have a drawl, just different degrees, but that's a tangent.)

Edited by Karin