Menu

Religious Exemption from Veteran's Day?

We were at the local elementary yesterday for dd9's speech therapy. There was a boy sitting in the office with a book because he had a religious exemption from attending the Veteran's Day assembly. I figure it must be related to pacifism but what religions specifically would be against such an assembly? Or is pacifism itself considered enough for a religious exemption. (This is just one of those things I'm curious about. That's all!)

Either that or an extreme Islamist family that doesn't share the US values of FREEDOM.

:confused:

I know someone who travels in the fringe of Mennonites, and her little group won't have anything to do with picking "sides" in a political sense, and the military is strictly OUT. I think if we were invaded, they would pray a great deal. They are very kind and sweet folks, and I don't begrudge them their attempts at unworldliness. I don't have a raging fear their example will make their numbers swell and leave us a vulnerable country. :D

Mennonite, Amish & Quaker come to mind. Don't know if you have an Amish or Mennonite community in your neck of the woods, though but I suppose it's possible. It is also possible that his parents just feel strongly about this and requested him to be exempt with no apparent religious affiliation.

Not that this is the best source, but it mentions JW children sitting out Veterans' Day and Memorial Day activities: http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=105669

Same for this: http://thejehovahswitnesses.org/holidays.php (which is an association of former JW).

I don't know if Quaker kids would have to be excluded. I could see where some might choose to, but it's my understanding that Quakers weren't automatically exempted from the draft, but were able to do non-combative work for the military. I'm not a Quaker and don't play one on TV, but I don't think their policy of conscientious objection would preclude them from honoring those who did serve. I could be wrong, though.

I am so glad someone else asked about this. Last week, I was helping in my son's K class. One student wasn't coloring a flag or writing a thank you to our soldiers page. I thought I was "helping" and tried to get that student back on track with the others. He said that he couldn't. I didn't catch on very quickly because his articulation wasn't clear, but he told me that he is a Jehovah's Witness. I feel bad that I still didn't get it and thought that he was just talking in the way of 5 year olds with extraneous info. I basically said "well that's nice, here is a flag page." Good thing, that the child was very informed and patient with me. He said he couldn't color a flag because he doesn't celebrate things. I am completely baffled by this point as to how honoring veterans and being able to color a flag could be against one's religion.

Not that this is the best source, but it mentions JW children sitting out Veterans' Day and Memorial Day activities:

Same for this:

which is an association of former JW).

http://watchtower.org/

Here is the official site of JWs....just in case anyone wants to know what they believe.

Or you could even ASK a JW what they believe. Just saying.

Interestingly, google didn't give me the watchtower page on the first page of links when I looked up jehovah's witness & veteran's day. I just now looked up Veterans Day on the watchtower site, and I was taken to an article on stress.

One of the sites did say that Watchtower did have a booklet for teachers on what they believe and how it's related to the classroom.

That said, I think the OP was just trying to guess what religion might preclude participation in the assembly.

Mennonite, Amish & Quaker come to mind. Don't know if you have an Amish or Mennonite community in your neck of the woods, though but I suppose it's possible. It is also possible that his parents just feel strongly about this and requested him to be exempt with no apparent religious affiliation.

I guess this was part of my question. I don't know public schools very well and wasn't sure if a strong opinion about something was "official enough" to be counted as a reason for exemption.

If my boys attended public school, they would be sitting out for that, too.

We do not have a denominational affiliation. My family are simply Christians. We do homechurch. And we are pacifists; which to us means we do not celebrate or support war/the military in any way. We believe killing is killing, regardless of the circumstances. Yes, ANY circumstances.

We also do not participate in government farther than obeying the laws.

Please do not flame me, I'm simply stating what my family believes.

We do not have a denominational affiliation. My family are simply Christians. We do homechurch. And we are pacifists; which to us means we do not celebrate or support war/the military in any way. We believe killing is killing, regardless of the circumstances. Yes, ANY circumstances.

I didn't know that about you. Thanks for sharing. And you are very brave.

I also didn't know that about you. But from reading other post of yours in the past, it seems we think alike in a lot of ways. Thanks for sharing!

OP- There are a few religions where one might sit out. JW comes to mind first, but we are..so that might be why. :) I have a really big hippy friend who doesn't allow her children to participate in anything involving war or patriotism. They are agnostic, though.

Can I ask a question? How does this work in a situation of self defence? Say someone attacks you - are you allowed to defend yourself physically? Only to a certain point? What about defending your family?

I'm not flaming, just asking about it.

No flames here. I give you nothing but respect for the bolded above. I'd give you a standing ovation for it, but I can't find that smilie.

I would guess JW only because of a family I knew back when I was in high school. I attended a private school (it's a K-12 school) that, at the time, required all boys to take JROTC in high school. The family allowed their daughter to continue attending, but they pulled their son out after 8th grade. Not being close friends with the daughter, I'd only heard that the son was pulled because of the JROTC requirement. I don't know the details behind the decision.

I know someone who travels in the fringe of Mennonites, and her little group won't have anything to do with picking "sides" in a political sense, and the military is strictly OUT. I think if we were invaded, they would pray a great deal. They are very kind and sweet folks, and I don't begrudge them their attempts at unworldliness. I don't have a raging fear their example will make their numbers swell and leave us a vulnerable country. :D

My dad, Mennonite, was a CO and worked without pay (well, he got $7 a week) in a home for troubled boys for two years instead of signing up for the draft. My uncles also served as CO's.

IME, Amish and Mennonites have their own schools and don't allow their children to attend regular public schools, so my guess is that the child is from a JW family.

Many Mennonites attend public school. Not so many Amish. Many Mennonites and Amish do not involve themselves in politics. Of my aunts and uncles (the whole overpopulating mess of us), about half are still apolitical. The rest are rabid.:D

You do realize that sometimes defending one's self and family does mean killing.

Sometimes the only way to stop an attacker is to kill him.

So would you die or kill?

Don't bait her. We all know what a rah-rah military fan you are.

I may not agree with Bethany on everything, or most things, but she believes what she believes and she certainly doesn't need to explain it or defend it to you, or me, or anyone else here.

ETA: Don't bother asking me if I'm picking on you again, either. I'm taking a board break for a little while. All the baby mania is too sad at the moment considering my niece just delivered a stillborn. No need for killing when dying happens all the time anyway.

Edited by Audrey

You do realize that sometimes defending one's self and family does mean killing.

Sometimes the only way to stop an attacker is to kill him.

So would you die or kill?

She already said she wouldn't kill, so she's already made that decision and answered your question before you asked it. If you're not ready to kill, then you won't. No need to badger her about it.

Don't bait her. We all know what a rah-rah military fan you are.

I may not agree with Bethany on everything, or most things, but she believes what she believes and she certainly doesn't need to explain it or defend it to you, or me, or anyone else here.

She already said she wouldn't kill, so she's already made that decision and answered your question before you asked it. If you're not ready to kill, then you won't. No need to badger her about it.

Bethany, I agree with the two nice ladies above. It is so nice to see them defend your right to believe what you believe.

Who is attacking the right to belief? I was looking for a finer definition of the poster's beliefs.

The poster was not the OP (me!). I appreciate her perspective. She simply shared her perspective in order to answer my original question as to who might want to sit out from such an assembly. She did not join a thread on why she might hold such a view.

...but it can mean kill. Sometimes there is no choice.

The question for pacifists is "will you kill to save your child or will you let your child die so as not to kill?"

This is not pot stirring, I have not thrown names I have asked a question, an uncomfortable one...yes but a simple question.

I would not kill another person for any reason. I don't know how much plainer to make it for you, pqr, as I've already said it once.

IMO, it is either ok to take another's life, or it isn't. And for me, it isn't.

I would not kill another person for any reason. I don't know how much plainer to make it for you, pqr, as I've already said it once.

Question answered.

Um... back to the subject at hand... ;)

I would guess Jehovah's witness. I believe they do not celebrate any holidays other than their own special one(s). So they don't celebrate birthdays or anything. Just because they want to save holidays/celebrations for the one(s) that are specifically jw (sorry I don't remember if it was one or more). At least that is how a parent explained it to me when I was a teacher and her daughter was in my class.

I never had her daughter to leave the classroom, though, we just adjusted some activities (focused on harvest instead of halloween, etc.).

Anyway, my guess is that it doesn't have to do with not celebrating Veteran's Day specifically, but just any holiday (besides their own). Could be wrong, though.

My cousin feels the same way. She is single. I always wonder though, if someone is going to kill your child, do you let them?

Um... back to the subject at hand... ;)

I would guess Jehovah's witness. I believe they do not celebrate any holidays other than their own special one(s). So they don't celebrate birthdays or anything. Just because they want to save holidays/celebrations for the one(s) that are specifically jw (sorry I don't remember if it was one or more). At least that is how a parent explained it to me when I was a teacher and her daughter was in my class.

I never had her daughter to leave the classroom, though, we just adjusted some activities (focused on harvest instead of halloween, etc.).

Anyway, my guess is that it doesn't have to do with not celebrating Veteran's Day specifically, but just any holiday (besides their own). Could be wrong, though.

Sort of wrong. When we don't celebrate a holiday it is for very specific reasons...not just that we are anti-holiday....or anti fun. We like fun.

And it was very kind of you to adjust classroom activities for that JW child.

My cousin feels the same way. She is single. I always wonder though, if someone is going to kill your child, do you let them?

You know, it seems here that some would like to discuss ideas regarding pacifism. Perhaps someone who is interested would like to start a new thread, as Jean's OP was asking more about the religious aspect.

Edited by bethanyniez
clarification

Sort of wrong. When we don't celebrate a holiday it is for very specific reasons...not just that we are anti-holiday....or anti fun. We like fun.

And it was very kind of you to adjust classroom activities for that JW child.

Agreed. My husband and I actually celebrate a lot of things. Anniversaries, Talk like a Pirate Day (not joking!), Thankful Day (a holiday a friend made up) and few others like that.

The poster was not the OP (me!). I appreciate her perspective. She simply shared her perspective in order to answer my original question as to who might want to sit out from such an assembly. She did not join a thread on why she might hold such a view.

Bethany posted an unusual stance - and she even EMPHASIZED with a second strong sentence… this is, naturally, going to catch people's attention. As it turns out, PQR just put stronger words to the question that I was asking her… because the first thing I thought was "what if someone is trying to kill your child?" [and it was not a flame.. it was an honest question]

The question from the original post *could* have been answered without the additional detail… if you add details that stick out, people are going to notice them - and given that this is a discussion board, people are gonna make comments.

Is it a fun question? Nope. Is it a valid question given the bolded statement? I think so. [and it appears to have been answered]

I disagree with you but I won't flame you. From my POV, veterans served and many died so that we can all enjoy freedom of speech and freedom of religion. You and I can completely disagree and that's ok. Sounds like you have strong beliefs and stand by them.

:iagree: love the different POV expressed on this board!

You know, it seems here that some would like to discuss ideas regarding pacifism. Perhaps someone who is interested would like to start a new thread, as Jean's OP was asking more about the religious aspect.

Fair enough. I am a pacifist, and I would never willingly take a human life.

However. I do know myself well enough that (given the chance), I would *take down* in any way possible, *anyone* who tried to harm a child in front of me. If it were my child, I would be kicked into hyper-drive

Edited by LibraryLover