Menu

So why does Mike McQueary still have his job at Penn State?

Mike McQuery was a 28 year old assistant coach when he walked in on the anal rape of a child. He did not stop it, but went home and called his father and the next day reported it to Joe Paterno.

He is the eye witness. Of all the people, what happened was unambiguous to him. Why is he still the wide-receiver coach at Penn State? Paterno testified that McQueary was clearly upset over what he'd witnessed (Paterno denied having received the full details from him however.) He was not a kid--he was a grown man. That scene has to have haunted him since. Why didn't he call the police?

We know what is right to have done--to have stopped it immediately. But it is reality that some people freeze in situations like that of extreme shock, especially in situations in which there is cognitive dissonance with a previously trusted authority figure involved in horrific behavior. But after the shock, he reported something to Paterno and that's all he did for all these years. Why does he still have a job?

PR. They had to fire the big guys first. It would look bad to the public if they just went after the little guys.

Secondly, they are no doubt checking out the legal aspects. They may be on shaky grounds if he followed a written chain of command.

If he's not fired, he'll have to resign. Can't imagine he's exactly got the respect of his players right now.

Edited by Pippen

PR. They had to fire the big guys first. It would look bad to the public if they just went after the little guys.

Secondly, they are no doubt checking out the legal aspects. They may be on shaky grounds if he followed a written chain of command.

According to the police, though, Paterno followed his legal chain of command. They said he reported to the right people and his only violation is a moral one. So, I don't know why they haven't fired McQ.

Seems to me that they should have just "cleaned house" in one giant swoop.

good question. I imagine he won't for long though...

I can imagine that the sights and sounds (oh Lord....) from that day haunt him. But what should haunt him even more is the fact that he SAW AND HEARD a 10 yo boy getting raped and did nothing but tell Joe Paterno. Why he didn't call the police I'll never know....and why he didn't pull that scum bag off that boy and stop it from continuing I'll never know either.

The whole thing makes me sick. And the people standing up for these pigs make me even sicker.

If he's not fired, he'll have to resign. Can't imagine he's exactly got the respect of his players right now.

The chain of command issue is probably true for him. For Paterno, the chain of command is a legal defense, but not a defense against not being fired. Coaches are fired all the time for stuff that happens on their watch even if they didn't know about it. They are often the scapegoat to turn off the media spotlight. (Not saying that Paterno was merely a scapegoat--just that coaches are held responsible for everything that happens on their watch, so the chain of command argument isn't a defense.)

I hope he does resign.

I can imagine that the sights and sounds (oh Lord....) from that day haunt him. But what should haunt him even more is the fact that he SAW AND HEARD a 10 yo boy getting raped and did nothing but tell Joe Paterno. Why he didn't call the police I'll never know....and why he didn't pull that scum bag off that boy and stop it from continuing I'll never know either.

The whole thing makes me sick. And the people standing up for these pigs make me even sicker.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I'm hoping he'll be out soon too. When I see the term graduate assistant, I think of barely over college age. Had he been a younger man I *might* be able to understand his confusion about what he should do. But a 28 year old is no kid. Call his dad? Go to the coach's house the next day? And worst of all, let that boy look you in the eye and just walk away? Disgusting.

I agree that they felt they had to go from the top down. It will take years for the school (and football program) reputation to recover from this, so I'm thinking they're trying to start with the big guys and let the domino effect take over from there.

Paterno is practically the only name all over the news, and he was going to retire after one more game, anyway, so it was fairly easy to decide to fire him and try to get out of the headlines a little, I'm guessing.... I don't think that's going to happen now, as more and more comes to light, but that might have been the initial thinking....

:iagree:

I just don't even want to hear/read about it anymore. It is so sickening.

The chain of command issue is probably true for him.

Maybe he has a great lawyer. Maybe he knows a whole lot more and he's working out a plea bargain. Maybe his story has changed a few times through the years, and what he told Paterno and what he told the grand jury weren't the same.

Who knows.

I would have been heartily ashamed of any male in my family who waited a day to phone home instead of protecting a child from a rapist, regardless of the personal costs.

The chain of command issue is probably true for him.

I actually think McQueary has less "chain of command" defense than Paterno. He was the eyewitness. If you witness the rape of a child, how could you NOT report it to the police? (And that's not even asking why you wouldn't step in and stop it right there.) Whose instinct would be to report it to their boss, rather than calling 911?

:001_huh:Why was a 10 year old in a college locker? :ack2: This is just sick. I didn't really know anything about this before.

He was in there because Sandusky used football tickets, visits to campus, etc. as part of the way he manipulated needy young boys (met through the charity he established) so that he could exploit them.

I actually think McQueary has less "chain of command" defense than Paterno. He was the eyewitness. If you witness the rape of a child, how could you NOT report it to the police? (And that's not even asking why you wouldn't step in and stop it right there.) Whose instinct would be to report it to their boss, rather than calling 911?

I think you're responding to the moral issue involved.

I was responding specifically to the employment issue and thought the PP had a good point that Penn State probably didn't have grounds for firing McQuery . Grounds for firing are often specifically spelled out in contracts. If McQuery did report to his supervisor, that would likely have protected him with regard to his contract, whereas once you are a bigger fish, the chain of command no longer protects you--you ARE in the one in command. So that made sense to me in terms of why he was not fired.

Reporting it is a given. But, why in the world did he not step in and stop it??

Exactly. And in my opinion MUCH more damage has been done to the stupid football program with this cover up than if the entire thing had been blown wide open the night the GA witnessed a child being raped. (and the football/athletic program is not my concern at all, but it seems to have been a big motivating factor to those who covered it up.)

This whole thing just disgusts me and everytime I think about it I want to throw up. I am in total agreement that McQueary needs to go as well. As someone posted on another thread, how does one walk in on the r@pe of a small child and not stop it???? And then go home and eat dinner. As has been said before, people knew about this behavior of Sandusky before the 2002 incident. There is so much more to this and I honestly feel this is only the tip of the iceberg. It beyond me how Sandusky is out on bail. Really??? An alleged child predator out on bail and told to "stay away from children".

The other thing that disturbs me is the response of some of the PSU students on the firing of Paterno. Many of them were saying, "It's not fair". Really??? Maybe you should tell that to the victims of this abuse. When adults knew what was occurring and could have stopped it.

This whole thing just disgusts me and everytime I think about it I want to throw up. I am in total agreement that McQueary needs to go as well. As someone posted on another thread, how does one walk in on the r@pe of a small child and not stop it???? And then go home and eat dinner. As has been said before, people knew about this behavior of Sandusky before the 2002 incident. There is so much more to this and I honestly feel this is only the tip of the iceberg. It beyond me how Sandusky is out on bail. Really??? An alleged child predator out on bail and told to "stay away from children".

The other thing that disturbs me is the response of some of the PSU students on the firing of Paterno. Many of them were saying, "It's not fair". Really??? Maybe you should tell that to the victims of this abuse. When adults knew what was occurring and could have stopped it.

Gets yuckier. The Board of Trustees wants to keep McQueary off the field but they have no intention of firing him or asking him to step down. Huh? This is a guy they want to keep as a role model for young men and women at the school?

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-penn-state-trustees-turnaround-20111110,0,3236661.story

:iagree: Just despicable. This is all outrageous.

Gets yuckier. The Board of Trustees wants to keep McQueary off the field but they have no intention of firing him or asking him to step down. Huh? This is a guy they want to keep as a role model for young men and women at the school?

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-penn-state-trustees-turnaround-20111110,0,3236661.story

I'm livid he hasn't been fired. However a talk sport guy pointed out that McQueary is the best witness the prosecution has. It will be hard for the defense to shake his testimony where they can point out troubled childhood and stuff for the victims. The janitor is in a nursing home with dementia. I think they see this guy as their best chance to convict Sandusky.

Him testifying is the very least he could do after not helping that boy and the victims that came after.

From http://bleacherreport.com/articles/932235-mike-mcqueary-why-his-silence-is-a-outrage?fb_ref=article_bottom&fb_source=profile_oneline

A mother of one of the victims described in the report drew this same conclusion.

“I don’t even have words to talk about the betrayal that I feel,â€
of Victim Six. “[McQueary] was a grown man, and he saw a boy being sodomized... He ran and called his daddy?â€

From http://bleacherreport.com/articles/932235-mike-mcqueary-why-his-silence-is-a-outrage?fb_ref=article_bottom&fb_source=profile_oneline

A mother of one of the victims described in the report drew this same conclusion.

“I don’t even have words to talk about the betrayal that I feel,â€
of Victim Six. “[McQueary] was a grown man, and he saw a boy being sodomized... He ran and called his daddy?â€

Those boys have more to admire in them, for reporting it and facing that difficulty, than any of those adult men who were involved and didn't do a single thing.

Re: McQueary -- If you will not stand up for a child in distress, you are not a man. You are not even a human being. As far as I'm concerned, no excuses and no sympathies shall be yours. I have more esteem for the steak I'm having for supper than I have for you.

There was some speculation on a radio show yesterday that McQueary still has his job as some sort of reward for cooperating with the grand jury. I personally think that the Penn St. administration should fire everyone involved with the football program and start over from the ground up. That is the only way to even think of continuing with the football program. I also think that the attitude by more than one football commentator that Joe Paterno is a victim in all this is absurd. The more I hear about this, the more I think of this quote.

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

Joy