Menu

Can we talk about birth control?

I just had my postpartum appointment yesterday and of course the birth control question came up. I told her I want tubal ligation. We have four dc and I do feel like we are complete, but..... After I left her office I started feeling like I don't want to do something this final. So here I am thinking about other kinds of birth control.

I've never been on any kind, except the depo shot. I only got two of those shots though because I had non-stop bleeding and I gained about 10 pounds, so I discontinued that.

I don't want pills. For one, I hate swallowing pills. To think I'd have to do it on a daily basis, no thank you. Plus, I would probably forget at some point.

So, what would you recommend for me? I was thinking maybe an IUD would be the way to go. I know there is two different ones, but don't know much else about them. Does anyone have any experiences they wouldn't mind sharing? You can also PM me.

It definitely needs to be something I can safely use while nursing and doesn't affect my milk. I usually nurse my babies anywhere from 16-20 months.

Thanks so much for any help!

I had a lot of trouble with the IUD; tried it twice and my body hated it and spit it out.

I loved the depo shot...maybe after your baby, your hormones may have changed and you might handle it better?

I know after I had my youngest, all kinds of things changed for me hormonally.

I couldn't continue the depo because I had some phlebitis/dvt issues, and went on the pill.

I didn't mind the pill, although it is a hassle; I just put the pack on my alarm clock so when I shut off my light from reading before bed, I'd just take it then.

I don't know if "the sponge" is still an option, but my older son can attest to the fact that those aren't all that reliable (I was using that method when I conceived him).

I tried the cervical film and was never sure that was inserted properly so I was always nervous about it.

Diaphragm is kind of a buzz-kill unless you have the forethought to insert in advance of...relations.

There may be other options out there, but for me the tubal ligation was the most liberating thing I've ever done! :)

Well, if you breastfeed exclusively and on demand, no pacifiers, bottles, or food, you are safe for up to 5-6 months. That can give you time to think about what to use at least.

I have always taken progesterone only pills, but they always affect my milk supply. I was going to try the iud this time bc I want something a little more fool proof, as i'm completely overwhelmed with kids at the moment, but my doctor briefly mentioned that it was controversial bc it could cause abortions, which gave me pause. I didn't look to see if that is true though.

I happened across the book Taking Charge of your Fertility at the thrift store and decided to read it. What an awesome book! It gives me confidence that I can determine my own infertility fairly accurately, so that's what i'm going to do. The thought of not using hormones is very appealing to me. I would encourage you to check it out and see what you think.

Good luck in finding what works for you!

Copper-IUD. This is my second one. Got the first put in after my twins, had it for five years, removed it, had two kids and got one put in last year. The only side effect was with the first one that I got a couple of horrible periods as my body got used to the foreign object. Did not have any problem this time around.

Well, if you breastfeed exclusively and on demand, no pacifiers, bottles, or food, you are safe for up to 5-6 months. That can give you time to think about what to use at least.

I have always taken progesterone only pills, but they always affect my milk supply. I was going to try the iud this time bc I want something a little more fool proof, as i'm completely overwhelmed with kids at the moment, but my doctor briefly mentioned that it was controversial bc it could cause abortions, which gave me pause. I didn't look to see if that is true though.

I happened across the book Taking Charge of your Fertility at the thrift store and decided to read it. What an awesome book! It gives me confidence that I can determine my own infertility fairly accurately, so that's what i'm going to do. The thought of not using hormones is very appealing to me. I would encourage you to check it out and see what you think.

Not really safe. That's a myth and cannot be relied on. You never know when your body starts the process of ovulation again. My cousin got pregnant within the first two months post-partum, relying on the breastfeeding safety!

I wouldn't consider a traditional tubal unless it is being done along with some other medically necessary pelvic surgery (like a C-section). Sure, it is done laparoscopically, but from personal experience I can tell you that recovery from laparoscopic surgery isn't necessarily a walk in the park. If I wanted permanent female contraception, I'd consider Essure instead, though I'd shop around to find someone who is skilled/experienced at placing the devices.

I notice you've considered several female contraception options. Have you considered vasectomy as well? There are versions of the procedure that are more reversible (but just as reliable), and it isn't that hard to find urologists who are very experienced at doing them. Of course one should be pretty darn sure before doing a vasectomy, so that might not be the right choice for your family right now.

We used Fertility Awareness Method after #2. FAM is the method taught by the book mentioned upthread. It is similar to NFP, but I consider it easier = less likely to have an oops. But you do have to be very motivated to make it work, and if your sleep is disrupted often by kiddos, it may not be appropriate. I suppose we could have continued using FAM indefinitely, but because there was a difference in mine and DH's desire to avoid pregnancy, I decided it wasn't fair that I was the one who had to do all the work of avoiding.

I did have a progesterone IUD for a few years. It caused several annoying problems, so I eventually removed it.

After I removed my IUD, DH was really sure he didn't want more kids, so he got a vasectomy. The procedure was minor and covered by insurance, and recovery was easy.

Good luck finding the best solution for your family!

Edited by jplain

Breastfeeding is as reliable as hormonal BC if you do it properly. That means in the first 6 months with no period, no bottles, no pacifers, co-slepping, feeding on demand, and not leaving the baby or going more than four hours without feeding.

I don't use hormones or IUDs because of the potential to prevent implantation of a fertilized ovum, but if you wanted to go that route, there is the neuvaring which no one has mentioned (I'm not sure I've spelled that correctly.) It uses a relativly low dose because hormones are delivered vaginally, and you put it in for a month, but you can take it out if it makes you sick.

The barrier methods are still pretty basic - condom, diaphram, female condom, sponge.

Some of the NFP methods are pretty good these days, but you really need to see an instructor and some require a bit of a $ outlay, particularly the ones that involve a fertility monitor.

Not really safe. That's a myth and cannot be relied on. You never know when your body starts the process of ovulation again. My cousin got pregnant within the first two months post-partum, relying on the breastfeeding safety!

There are always exceptions. But I know people who got pregnant on the pill too, (like me) and we still consider the pill effective birth control. Nothing is 100 percent effective I'm afraid, not even surgical methods.

This made me :D. I took this approach with dd born 3/01. I ended up with the twins 3/02. Three babies in a year, definatly not fool proof.

I

There are always exceptions. But I know people who got pregnant on the pill too, (like me) and we still consider the pill effective birth control. Nothing is 100 percent effective I'm afraid, not even surgical methods.

True, but when I went on the pill or used barrier methods I had no issues not getting pregnant. Otherwise, I am a baby making machine ;) I had a tubal after ds4. I was 25 and it was a difficult decision to make. Sometimes I regret it, but most of the time I am good with it.

Breastfeeding is as reliable as hormonal BC if you do it properly. That means in the first 6 months with no period, no bottles, no pacifers, co-slepping, feeding on demand, and not leaving the baby or going more than four hours without feeding.

I was ovulating within 6 months after the birth of my first child. After my second, despite tandem nursing (!), I was ovulating by 3 months postpartum, temperature shift and all. Luckily I wasn't caught off guard; my mom had warned me of her experience, I'm generally in-tune with my body, and I was charting out of habit.

I'm a retired LLL Leader who spent quite some time studying LAM and ecological breastfeeding. I don't believe my early return to fertility was user error. ;)

LAM is fantastic and works for many women. However, IMO it needs to be understood thoroughly and used very carefully, ideally with FAM, if one truly wishes to avoid pregnancy.

Edited by jplain

I don't use hormones or IUDs because of the potential to prevent implantation of a fertilized ovum, but if you wanted to go that route, there is the neuvaring which no one has mentioned (I'm not sure I've spelled that correctly.) It uses a relativly low dose because hormones are delivered vaginally, and you put it in for a month, but you can take it out if it makes you sick.

The barrier methods are still pretty basic - condom, diaphram, female condom, sponge.

Some of the NFP methods are pretty good these days, but you really need to see an instructor and some require a bit of a $ outlay, particularly the ones that involve a fertility monitor.

Though it works for me, this isn't true for everyone.

I agree, Katie, that nothing is safe. I just would be cautious if someone thought bf'ing is 100% since you wouldn't know when your body starts ovulation. That's different from using condom *correctly* and the condom having a tear etc.

At least in my opinion. I have been post-partum where I certainly did not want to get pregnant again and I have always breastfed and believe strongly in its benefits....

Well, if you breastfeed exclusively and on demand, no pacifiers, bottles, or food, you are safe for up to 5-6 months.

:eek: I'm sure this must have been meant differently.

Completely NOT true. :001_huh:

To the original poster--have you looked at the birth control pills? The ones I have taken in the past have been *tiny*. Like, the tiniest pills I think I've ever seen. It might be worth a try in your situation. You can't lose anything by trying, and you might find you don't mind it at all once it's a routine. Perhaps in the beginning you could try chewing a small bite of food and then popping the pill in for the final swallow? It really is that tiny. :001_smile:

OP have you looked into NFP. Done correctly it is as effective as other methods, does not cost a lot and is all natural. I like that better than hormones/foreign objects inserted in the body.

It does take a bit of time on your part to learn your body very well. But once that learning phase if over it becomes second nature.

My body did not get that memo. ;)

This made me :D. I took this approach with dd born 3/01. I ended up with the twins 3/02. Three babies in a year, definatly not fool proof.

Your twins will probably be happy you used that method. :D

If people are going to talk about birth control, let's remember that none of us would be here if our own parents had used reliable methods to prevent our conceptions.

Not always. Or so says my SIL who has kids 11 months apart.

My husband has always "spilled his seed" when we don't want to conceive, and it's worked through 15 years. We are both very fertile, most of our conceptions took place on one attempt.

If you are having regular periods you could also use cheap OPKs when you expect to ovulate & once you get a positive you should be safe 2-3 days later. You'd have to use some other method from the time your period starts to the time you are "safe" though. There are cheap OPKs available online.

I got my period back 4 weeks post partum this time around. Baby is on my boob around the clock. No pacifiers, not a drop of formula since birth. I got AF at 6 weeks post partum with my last two births. Before that I'd go a good 8-12 months with no AF. I have no idea why my body does this. :confused:

I am on my third Mirena (hormonal IUD). I get intermittent spotting (I just wear a panty liner every day) but my periods have stopped. When it was first put in, the string was getting in the way (!) but I had it cut short and it's now undetectable. For me, it works brilliantly: no periods and nothing to worry about for five years.

Laura

After using only breastfeeding to space our babies 21-30 months apart, I got an IUD after number five was born. We were leaning toward being done, but we wanted time to think about it to make sure. I had a Mirena for 18 months. I hated it because it caused constant spotting and I couldn't lose my baby weight. I swapped it for a copper Paragard. I loved it!

I got my Paragard removed and am now expecting our planned, final, last child. :) Dh will get snipped after the baby is here and healthy. I might get another Paragard as a back-up.

Your twins will probably be happy you used that method. :D

If people are going to talk about birth control, let's remember that none of us would be here if our own parents had used reliable methods to prevent our conceptions.

Or hadn't got drunk and hooked up with some stoned guy that said he was 24 but was actually only 19... :lol:

OP: My kids are 14 months apart, and a voracious, cosleeping, pacifier-free, nurser couldn't stop my little guy from showing up. I used the minipill after DS2 with no problems, then a regular pill, but I've never forgotten to take a pill. Guess my doubts about being done aren't that strong yet! All these board babies are working on that, though.

I'm not sure I understand your point. The op is specifically asking about birth control. I'm pretty sure that means she does, in fact, want to PREVENT a conception. Your comment seems a bit passive aggressive to me. After the Duggar thread gone bad over the last few days, the last thing we need is another conversation about the good vs. evil of birth control.

I was ovulating within 6 months after the birth of my first child. After my second, despite tandem nursing (!), I was ovulating by 3 months postpartum, temperature shift and all. Luckily I wasn't caught off guard; my mom had warned me of her experience, I'm generally in-tune with my body, and I was charting out of habit.

I'm a retired LLL Leader who spent quite some time studying LAM and ecological breastfeeding. I don't believe my early return to fertility was user error. ;)

LAM is fantastic and works for many women. However, IMO it needs to be understood thoroughly and used very carefully, ideally with FAM, if one truly wishes to avoid pregnancy.

With my first son, my period started again after just three months and I was ovulating despite breastfeeding; with my second, it started after just six weeks, and again, I ovulated while breastfeeding.

If you're wanting something as permanent as a tubal ligation has your dh considered a vasectomy? It's much less invasive, easy recovery and quite affordable compared to a tubal.

My dh volunteered (actually, insisted would be more like it, LOL) on a vasectomy after our last child. After I had been pregnant with our children and pushed them out of my body I figured that was the least he could do, especially since he was so willing. :D

I would consider having your DH get a vasectomy - and before doing that, perhaps freezing some straws of sperm just in case you do change your mind....that way it's permanent, but not if you change your mind since you'll have sperm banked just in case.

Not necessarily. Depends on your body and how it reacts

My breastfeeding exclusively and on demand, no pacifiers bottles or food friend has Irish twins. (two babies born near the same day, 12 months apart)

I have the Mirena. I got it put in 6 weeks postpartum. Compared to natural childbirth, it didn't hurt at all. There was a little cramping, a little spotting. Then it was fine.

It got rid of my period for awhile, but this last month I actually had one. Lighter than usual, cramping not as bad, but heavier than just spotting. I was wondering why I was wanting to bite everyone's head off for no reason. The next day, I figured it out.

As others have pointed out, not necessarily the case. Despite exclusive breastfeeding around the clock (aka: the all night booby buffet!), co-sleeping and no artificial nipples my periods returned at 5-6 weeks post-partum with each baby.

My sisters have had the exact same experience. We come from a long line of large families so I guess we just inherited the super-fertile genes!

I've been using a diaphragm for 13 years with no issues. You do have to use a spermicide with it, so that can be an issue if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.

It doesn't block sensation at all and once you put it in, you leave it there for at least 6 hours.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/diaphragm-4244.htm

I'm not sure I understand your point. The op is specifically asking about birth control. I'm pretty sure that means she does, in fact, want to PREVENT a conception. Your comment seems a bit passive aggressive to me. After the Duggar thread gone bad over the last few days, the last thing we need is another conversation about the good vs. evil of birth control.

I'm not trying to be passive-aggressive. I wanted to respond on a thread that asked if we can discuss birth control by gently making a point that people tend to overlook. Mothers and fathers tend to love the children that they conceive. Effective methods of contraception prevent not just conception but people. People like ourselves. Family members whom we would dearly love if only their conception had not been prevented.

This is a board filled with mothers who love their husbands and their children. Many of us also love history. In the history of the world, wide spread acceptance of contraception and sterilization were not the norm. As we plan our families, we should consider history.

I have used depo... loved it because I didn't get my period, but hated it because I put on 20 pounds in 1 year (despite diet and exercise... totally hormone related.) I finally started losing THAT weight (it would *never* come off).

DH and I used barrier & spermicides & NFP. This probably worked the best (other than IUD and abstinence). Only downside was cost & timing. We used condoms *all* the time, and added spermicides as we approached peak ovulation and following peak ovulation.

Copper IUD -- has been fine the past 2.5 years. It's my dh's favorite. I'm considering having it removed, though. My periods have been pretty bad since having it. I've also started getting more cramping... add to that baby pangs. No decision, yet. If I do have it removed, I'm not sure where I'll go.

Esp. if we have another baby, I may wind up going with a more permanent procedure (I don't remember what it's called, but it's like a tubal... but instead of surgery, it's like a little "plug" for your fallopian tubes that scars over.) But, if we have another baby, I'll be 44+ when baby arrives, so... pretty sure I won't be wanting another, unless #6 is a girl... I really want another boy. So, before we even go down that path, I need to be happy with the idea of having 4 girls and 2 boys. I'm not there yet (need to have a girl's name picked out...lol)

had great experiences with the mirena IUD--when I am not on bc,I have horrible periods and over a few years this made mine bearable....I went from using overnights pads to liners-and when this wasn't an option for us anymore I had a tubal plus thermal ablation.....we can't have anymore kids due to my health concerns.....:grouphug:

We took classes and have used nfp successfully for many years. It was recommended to me by my women's clinic dr. when I had so much trouble with pills.

I love that it doesn't harm my body in any way. It does require a commitment that many people are not willing/able to make.

I do think it is easier these days with fertility/ovulation moniters etc. They are spendy, but peace of mind is worth it I think. I had to it do the old fashioned way, charting etc.

I'm not trying to be passive-aggressive. I wanted to respond on a thread that asked if we can discuss birth control by gently making a point that people tend to overlook. Mothers and fathers tend to love the children that they conceive. Effective methods of contraception prevent not just conception but people. People like ourselves. Family members whom we would dearly love if only their conception had not been prevented.

Well, yeah. But. I've had friends who spent the first 2 trimesters a mess at being pregnant before they wanted to be and then coping with PPD afterward. I've known people for whom another baby was a high financial challenge for them. Another baby can be physically dangerous for some women.

You paint a very rosy picture, but that's not reality for everyone. I had 2 miscarriages before Thing 1. Thing 2 came sooner than we were thinking and that transition proved very hard for our entire family. As much as I had always wanted 3, DH was DONE at 2. It was physically and emotionally exhausting for us, we feared another loss, and Thing 1 was SO high needs that I don't know what this house would've been like if I'd had a third (even as I mentally paint a rosy picture of what it would be like). Add to that the risk of twins because of family history... No. Financially and organizationally it would've meant less time with our extended family because we'd be paying for 5 plane tickets instead of 4. Paying for 3 kids in ice hockey instead of two. Some of that is frivolous, but it's a legitimate concern for many families.

That quality source, Wikipedia on the history of BC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_control (1850 BCE is pretty old). I also think it's important to think about whether the infant mortality rate was higher "back thru history."

Edited by amey311

This is a board filled with mothers who love their husbands and their children. Many of us also love history. In the history of the world, wide spread acceptance of contraception and sterilization were not the norm. As we plan our families, we should consider history.

I'm sure the OP has her reasons and knows her own situation better than any of us. I have eight children (eleven pregnancies) and even I had to call it quits.

The IUD (I got the copper one, not the one with hormones because I had a LOT of trouble on BCP pills) caused me nothing but problems. For the 2 years I had it in, I would frequently get sharp, shooting pains when I would twist my body or bend to pick something up. I had heavy, heavy spotting between my periods, and my already heavy periods were more painful and heavier. They gave me a couple ultrasounds to make sure it was in correctly, the said it was, and I think in their minds they thought the pain and symptoms were all in my head. I felt much better after I had it removed. Oh, it also hurt A LOT to have that thing put in!!!! In my opinion, it was worse than child birth. I had cramping, bleeding, and pain for a week after they put it in too -- not the day or two they claimed.

Because I'm sensitive to hormones and condoms, we went the natural route. We use a fertility monitor (yes, I know they say they're not meant for contraception, but it's been working for us for 5 years now) and make sure we only get together when the chances of conception are low. We know there is some risk involved in this method, but a surprise baby is a risk we're willing to take. BCP made me suicidal, the IUD caused me an undo amount of pain and discomfort -- I didn't even want to try shots or a patch -- and I'm prone to UTIs so a diaphragm was not recommended for me. We felt other than doing something permanent, it was our only real option.

I just had my postpartum appointment yesterday and of course the birth control question came up. I told her I want tubal ligation. We have four dc and I do feel like we are complete, but..... After I left her office I started feeling like I don't want to do something this final. So here I am thinking about other kinds of birth control.

I've never been on any kind, except the depo shot. I only got two of those shots though because I had non-stop bleeding and I gained about 10 pounds, so I discontinued that.

I don't want pills. For one, I hate swallowing pills. To think I'd have to do it on a daily basis, no thank you. Plus, I would probably forget at some point.

So, what would you recommend for me? I was thinking maybe an IUD would be the way to go. I know there is two different ones, but don't know much else about them. Does anyone have any experiences they wouldn't mind sharing? You can also PM me.

It definitely needs to be something I can safely use while nursing and doesn't affect my milk. I usually nurse my babies anywhere from 16-20 months.

Thanks so much for any help!

I have the mirena IUD and I love it! I also plan on keeping it in the whole 5 years because that's how far I want to space my babies out...That should give you some thinking time if want before doing something final.

I want to add that insertion of an IUD was not a huge, huge deal. First time easier than second because I was at a clinic with a strange nurse, but painwise, no big deal. You take a couple of tylenol before and expect bad cramps; if you get anything less, great. I did not have cramps.

Taking it out was completely painfree and took 1 minute, but it was done byt a highly experienced ob/gyn.

About using Natural Family Planning, I am assuming that means you don't have intercourse during the woman's peak, right? So, where is the fun in that?? It might not matter if the woman is still breastfeeding -and thus less hormonally itnerested in se* anyways- but as a long-term situation?

About using Natural Family Planning, I am assuming that means you don't have intercourse during the woman's peak, right? So, where is the fun in that??

Nope. No fun. That's why dh and I always combined NFP with barrier and spermicide...that is if we were *really* trying NOT to conceive. ;)

Breastfeeding works for us, though we learned NFP while we were engaged, so I was also paying attention to my body and charting as soon as my mucus returned. My kids were all spaced by this, first cycle back. We were open to getting pregnant by then, so no oops. We learned from a class and I would recommend that if possible. Our class was inexpensive ($50 I think, our marriage prep fee covered it) and continuing it is even more inexpensive. All you need is a basal body thermometer. I also chart my mucus and other symptoms, like soreness while nursing, that I've come to understand as part of my post partem cycles.

I can respect your point of view as your own, but I think it's patronizing to point out to someone who is seeking birth control advice that they are preventing a person. I am 100% "life begins at conception and should be honored as such", but I don't think that means I have to seek to join every egg I have with my husband's sperm to create a person. And honestly, I do not believe we are preventing people by choosing birth control. If God wants someone to exist, they will. Period.

About using Natural Family Planning, I am assuming that means you don't have intercourse during the woman's peak, right? So, where is the fun in that?? It might not matter if the woman is still breastfeeding -and thus less hormonally itnerested in se* anyways- but as a long-term situation?

That would be assuming that one (man or woman) is interested every day. Seems it would become one more thing to check off the daily list. :D But, by all means, if one is part rabbit....