Menu

Can we talk about birth control?

That would be assuming that one (man or woman) is interested every day. Seems it would become one more thing to check off the daily list. :D But, by all means, if one is part rabbit....

I think the assumption is that women are MOST interested precisely when they can't do anything about it, if they're doing NFP. Hormones and all :)

Most people I know that don't use permanent birth control end up with another kid- not that there is anything wrong with that. :) I am a case in point: I have a spermicide baby & a bc pill baby. I suffered from infertility when we first started trying so I was hesitant to make a permanent choice until after my last baby. I even regretted it for a while. I am happy now with my brood. Any other kids I am supposed to have are not coming from my body.

My permanent bc of choice is vasectomy though. My dh agrees.

I think the assumption is that women are MOST interested precisely when they can't do anything about it, if they're doing NFP. Hormones and all :)

Yep. I think that is why teens get pregnant "the first time." Hormones, biology, God, intended the female to want sex when she is most fertile. Girls are more likely to want it or say yes finally. I know there is a huge pull for me during that time. Thank heavens for the vasectomy.

Not always. Or so says my SIL who has kids 11 months apart.

So many people have said. I know a lot of people who got pregnant on the pill too, and yet people still recommend it. Statistically there is a minuscule chance of conception in the first 3 months and a 2% chance in the second three if the mom is breastfeeding ecologically.

Not really safe. That's a myth and cannot be relied on. You never know when your body starts the process of ovulation again. My cousin got pregnant within the first two months post-partum, relying on the breastfeeding safety!

I have two friends that will attest to the unreliability as well!

While it works for some women, breastfeeding exclusively with no "mommy substitutes" must also include constant babywearing, co-sleeping, and no mom/baby separation at all until you are comfortable with the idea of ovulating again. I know a few women who did all those things religiously and they still began periods again within a few months after giving birth. If you're not prepared for it to fail, use another method in addition. My older brother and I are 11 months and 3 days apart-we were both full term, natural, uninduced deliveries. My step-brothers (full to each other) are 10 months apart and were natural deliveries too.

In general, because of the reality of failure rates of all methods (including tubals and vasectomies) if you really don't want to conceive again, use more than one method. Weigh your views of conception and personhood when considering an IUD and other methods.

My husband had a vasectomy after my second pregnancy and delivery which were life threatening to both the baby and me. The Urologist had both of us sign a document stating that a correctly done vasectomy has a known failure rate of at least 1%. (The body has an amazing ability to heal itself.) One out of 100 will conceive again and the Urologist couldn't be held responsible if it happened.

I'm not trying to be passive-aggressive. I wanted to respond on a thread that asked if we can discuss birth control by gently making a point that people tend to overlook. Mothers and fathers tend to love the children that they conceive. Effective methods of contraception prevent not just conception but people. People like ourselves. Family members whom we would dearly love if only their conception had not been prevented.

This is a board filled with mothers who love their husbands and their children. Many of us also love history. In the history of the world, wide spread acceptance of contraception and sterilization were not the norm. As we plan our families, we should consider history.

I'm tempted to put up a picture of a child starving to death here.

As we look back at history, lets also remember the millions who have died of starvation for lack of resources. Let's remember the children who have died at the hands of parents who lacked the emotional resources to care for them.

I understand that posts sometimes move off of the OPs original topic, but the "ooooh, think of all the lovely babies and how happy we are all to be here, and how good it was not to be able to plan/control contraception," utopia could easily, EASILY, be countered with statistics and photos of the harsh reality.

We're using FAM. I never check my temperatures though--from what I have read going just by the signs of fertility is just as effective (done correctly) as charting your temperature so I don't bother. It does involve actually making a decision as to whether it's a safe time or not, though, and I have difficulty making decisions...which is why I've gotten pregnant twice using FAM. Hopefully this time I can restrain my "well it's probably safe right now" impulses for at least another year!

Not to stir up a debate, but I am -again - surprised when reading threads such as this one how it seems some women are not really into their body or know how to read its signals.

Women have a need and a right to have sex and pleasure without worrying about the man pulling out or her getting pregnant or her totally not being into it hormonally. That is all I am trying to say. I tend to assume everyone knows their cycle and when their body gets more in the mood, but apparently not so.

Not to stir up a debate, but I am -again - surprised when reading threads such as this one how it seems some women are not really into their body or know how to read its signals.

Women have a need and a right to have sex and pleasure without worrying about the man pulling out or her getting pregnant or her totally not being into it hormonally. That is all I am trying to say. I tend to assume everyone knows their cycle and when their body gets more in the mood, but apparently not so.

Well said! :) I am quite grateful for birth control. I love my five children and the one on the way, but I am not interested in or capable of bearing as many children as biologically possible. I've got probably 15 years or so of fertility left, but my children are all either already here or growing in my belly. I want to be able to enjoy a physical relationship with my husband without worrying about conceiving a baby that would put enormous strain on us and our family. I'm glad I live in an age where this is possible. :D

We've just begun using the Creighton Model of NFP. We have decided that we won't become pregnant again due to the high risks I have for another pregnancy. After researching many methods, we decided on this one. The website is http://www.creightonmodel.com or http://www.fertilitycare.org/creighton-model. It is a mucus observation method, no internal observations or temperature-taking. It has been scientifically and clinically proven to have a high percentage of effectiveness when one is taught by a trained instructor and sticks with all the follow-ups (there are 8 over the course of a year). We have a local instructor we meet with privately. Someone mentioned the cost: ours is $240 for the entire instruction (chart, manual, all private sessions with the instructor). For most people who have $25 copays, it's about the same as one year of birth control pills. Once we have a good understanding of my biological markers, we simply won't have intercourse during high fertility times. It's that simple. Yes, it means a short period of complete abstinence while I learn how to tell what's going on in my body, but it's worth it in the long term.

Good luck, OP, with your decision.

I'm not trying to be passive-aggressive. I wanted to respond on a thread that asked if we can discuss birth control by gently making a point that people tend to overlook. Mothers and fathers tend to love the children that they conceive. Effective methods of contraception prevent not just conception but people. People like ourselves. Family members whom we would dearly love if only their conception had not been prevented.

This is a board filled with mothers who love their husbands and their children. Many of us also love history. In the history of the world, wide spread acceptance of contraception and sterilization were not the norm. As we plan our families, we should consider history.

:ack2: :eek: Seriously? You are coming into a thread seeking BC advice and "gently" proselytizing that women should primarily consider their bodies as baby making machines?

OP have you looked into NFP. Done correctly it is as effective as other methods, does not cost a lot and is all natural. I like that better than hormones/foreign objects inserted in the body.

It does take a bit of time on your part to learn your body very well. But once that learning phase if over it becomes second nature.

:iagree: NFP is an effective method IF you are clear that you do not want to/cannot conceive. NFP is as committed as you are - just like any other method! You have to actually take the pills as directed, use the condom, insert the whatever, you can't just say, well, just this once...

We took classes and have used nfp successfully for many years.

We also have, despite having 7 dc. I always say that the only surprise child was the second twin - we really didn't plan to have twins! :lol:

About using Natural Family Planning, I am assuming that means you don't have intercourse during the woman's peak, right? So, where is the fun in that?? It might not matter if the woman is still breastfeeding -and thus less hormonally itnerested in se* anyways- but as a long-term situation?

As a long-term situation, you have to weigh how much you don't want a baby with how much you do want to have fun. Kind of like what you'd say to your teen LOL. :D

I'm sure the OP has her reasons and knows her own situation better than any of us. I have eight children (eleven pregnancies) and even I had to call it quits.

Very well said! The OP wasn't asking for opinions on whether or not she should use birth control to limit conception. She was asking about what kind was the best to use.

Deciding how many children to have and how to accomplish that really is a very personal decision and should be respected by others. What is best for one family may not be good for another. Each person has to make their own decision on that and just because it might not be what you would choose does not mean that it's not what's best for them and theirs.

I can respect your point of view as your own, but I think it's patronizing to point out to someone who is seeking birth control advice that they are preventing a person. I am 100% "life begins at conception and should be honored as such", but I don't think that means I have to seek to join every egg I have with my husband's sperm to create a person. And honestly, I do not believe we are preventing people by choosing birth control. If God wants someone to exist, they will. Period.

:iagree:

Well, if you breastfeed exclusively and on demand, no pacifiers, bottles, or food, you are safe for up to 5-6 months. That can give you time to think about what to use at least.

I have always taken progesterone only pills, but they always affect my milk supply. I was going to try the iud this time bc I want something a little more fool proof, as i'm completely overwhelmed with kids at the moment, but my doctor briefly mentioned that it was controversial bc it could cause abortions, which gave me pause. I didn't look to see if that is true though.

I happened across the book Taking Charge of your Fertility at the thrift store and decided to read it. What an awesome book! It gives me confidence that I can determine my own infertility fairly accurately, so that's what i'm going to do. The thought of not using hormones is very appealing to me. I would encourage you to check it out and see what you think.

Good luck in finding what works for you!

Be careful! This is not true! I breastfed exclusively and still had Aunt Flo one month postpartum.

Breastfeeding is as reliable as hormonal BC if you do it properly. That means in the first 6 months with no period, no bottles, no pacifers, co-slepping, feeding on demand, and not leaving the baby or going more than four hours without feeding.

I don't use hormones or IUDs because of the potential to prevent implantation of a fertilized ovum, but if you wanted to go that route, there is the neuvaring which no one has mentioned (I'm not sure I've spelled that correctly.) It uses a relativly low dose because hormones are delivered vaginally, and you put it in for a month, but you can take it out if it makes you sick.

The barrier methods are still pretty basic - condom, diaphram, female condom, sponge.

Some of the NFP methods are pretty good these days, but you really need to see an instructor and some require a bit of a $ outlay, particularly the ones that involve a fertility monitor.

Not true.

I've had two Paragards and love it as a BC method. Both times I didn't have a period for several months after insertion because of BFing. When it did return, it was heavier/crampier for a few months and then settled down again. . . and who's to say whether that was restarting a period after several months of not having one, or whether it was the IUD? After they settled down, the main thing I noticed was that I was a little spottier at the beginning and end of my periods, but it was very minor and something I could totally put up with. I'm allergic to spermicide and artificial hormones give me major migraines, so my options were limited. The Paragard was just a really good fit, and I'll probably put a 3rd one in after my next baby :)

Well, if you breastfeed exclusively and on demand, no pacifiers, bottles, or food, you are safe for up to 5-6 months. That can give you time to think about what to use at least.

!

That is complete nonsense.

I breastfeed exclusively, co-slept etc etc. I got my first period 3 weeks after having each baby. I never used any pacifiers ( called dummies here) or bottles.

My mother breastfed exclusively and was pregnant 2 months after some of her babies. She continued to ovulate and have periods for the first three months after getting pregnant and she even got pregnant while pregnant.

Edited by melissaL

I have a Mirena, Im in the 2nd one, having had the first for 5 years. I have very infrequent and very, very light periods, as in dont even need a panty liner. I don't get moody and obstreperous like I did on the pill, I don't get pregnant like I did on the copper IUD and it's perfectly safe to use while breastfeeding. Because the hormone is localised the amount in your body is minuscule compared to the pill. I love it! Even if DH had a vas I'd still keep my Mirena just for the sheer joy and freedom of no periods.

I have a Mirena, Im in the 2nd one, having had the first for 5 years. I have very infrequent and very, very light periods, as in dont even need a panty liner. I don't get moody and obstreperous like I did on the pill, I don't get pregnant like I did on the copper IUD and it's perfectly safe to use while breastfeeding. Because the hormone is localised the amount in your body is minuscule compared to the pill. I love it! Even if DH had a vas I'd still keep my Mirena just for the sheer joy and freedom of no periods.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Was just logging in to say get the Mirena!! Love it, love it, love it, for all the reasons stated!

Copper-IUD. This is my second one. Got the first put in after my twins, had it for five years, removed it, had two kids and got one put in last year. The only side effect was with the first one that I got a couple of horrible periods as my body got used to the foreign object. Did not have any problem this time around.

That was my choice before the younger 3. After them, my husband adopted the final solution because, really, going through a few layers of skin is much easier than going through one's abdominal wall, and there is a much lower incidence of long term issues.

I just don't care for chemical alteration of the endocrine system. It's too complex a feedback web for me to be comfortable with adjusting one part or another without cause.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I have breastfed 4 children exclusively and on demand and always get my cycle back between 2 and 3 months. The above is not a universal truism. If we hadn't used any protection from the very start, our kids would be a whole lot closer together than they are, and they're already pretty close together! My midwife says I apparently ovulate more than once a month s well, as the dates for my current pregnancy are most recent baby are totally off from my LMP. I appear to be very fertile and would never take chances on trusting breastfeeding as BC.

I have breastfed 4 children exclusively and on demand and always get my cycle back between 2 and 3 months. The above is not a universal truism. If we hadn't used any protection from the very start, our kids would be a whole lot closer together than they are, and they're already pretty close together! My midwife says I apparently ovulate more than once a month s well, as the dates for my current pregnancy are most recent baby are totally off from my LMP. I appear to be very fertile and would never take chances on trusting breastfeeding as BC.

I had similar experience, except 6 weeks with one nursling, 6 months with twins.

Here's a nice chart that shows the effectiveness of LAM vs. other methods of child spacing:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.html

Not really safe. That's a myth and cannot be relied on. You never know when your body starts the process of ovulation again. My cousin got pregnant within the first two months post-partum, relying on the breastfeeding safety!

It was very easy for me to tell when my body was trying to start ovulating while I was still nursing before my period returned.

I think body awareness is a good thing, no matter your family planning methods and beliefs!

I have a copper IUD because I don't want the hormones, and I was reluctant to do anything permanent.

It caused extremely HEAVY periods for the first year while I was breastfeeding. As my body has gotten used to it and I stopped breastfeeding the periods are back to normal.

I love it. For my busy lifestyle it is the most reliable method without being permanent.

Oh and I exclusively breastfed (no pacifiers, no bottles, child with me all the time) all of my children and my cycle always returned at 6 weeks. I don't know if I ovulated during that time but I did get a period like clockwork. Either way, I cautioned on the safe side and refrained from sex during my possibly "fertile" days.

I agree that for some women the exclusively breastfeeding thing works, but it doesn't work for everyone.

I find it interesting that on this thread multiple women are posting that they get their period back right away, even with exclusive nursing, yet on the Duggar thread no one would believe that she was getting pregnant that soon without purposely weaning or doing other things to encourage fertility.

I find it interesting that on this thread multiple women are posting that they get their period back right away, even with exclusive nursing, yet on the Duggar thread no one would believe that she was getting pregnant that soon without purposely weaning or doing other things to encourage fertility.

That is interesting. :D

I am 100% sure that when they first became famous, I read on their website that she weans her babies at 6 months so that she can regain her fertility. They have since removed that from their website. But it most definitely was there before.

That is interesting. :D

I am 100% sure that when they first became famous, I read on their website that she weans her babies at 6 months so that she can regain her fertility. They have since removed that from their website. But it most definitely was there before.

I read it there before also. It was worded like that. Quite different than nursing for at least a year and letting nature take it's course.

So it was worded as "i wean to get my fertility" not " I wean when my fertility returns"?

Yes, she specifically said she weaned at 6 months to regain her fertility. The reason I know and remember it is because I used to really admire them for standing up for NFP and letting God decide. To me, purposefully weaning to increase your chances of conceiving is directly against NFP. After that, I realized they are really just proving a point. I still don't care what they do, but I find it harder to believe everything they say.

I have been using the Nuvaring for 6 months, not as birth control but to control endometriosis. It is wonderful. No need to remember to take a pill. No fluctuations of hormones and no shots. This medicine literally gave me back my life since I was not able to even walk up a flight of stair without great pain.

http://www.nuvaring.com/consumer/index_isi.asp?PID=0001157820000000&SRC=3?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=nuvaring&utm_campaign=Branded&gclid=COmqtoWxrKwCFUbf4Aodwz9y5w

Of course, consult your dr to make sure it is right for you.