Menu

Does anyone make Christmas gifts?

I apologize if a thread like this has been started. I am just compiliing ideas of things to make for Christmas presents, rather than buy. Does anyone else make gifts anymore?

My kids and I are going to make these for my nephews: http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/bowling-boys-941520/

I have some wool sweaters I was given that I am going to felt into mittens and a purse.

I will be sewing an owl apron for my daughter.

I'd love some more ideas. :)

I'm crocheting a bunch of stuff. Stuffed toys for the kids, a Jayne Cobb hat for my brother and maybe my sister, a beret for my SIL, homemade lip balm if I get around to it. Hopefully some homemade soaps, but I'm pushing it really close since it has to cure for 4-6 weeks.

Earlier this year I crocheted some very cute headbands for my daughters and daughter-in-law. I also crocheted an adorable turtle for one son, but I was SO excited I just had to share it with him early, instead of waiting for Christmas.

I will make a woven rag rug for my mother-in-law...

One year I made up home made dog treats and put them in a jar for mil and her very best friend... they love their dogs very much...

I usually make up lots of treats and put them in holiday themes baggies for the children to give their teachers, the crossing guard, best friends... These go over really well and my kids always loved handing them out.

I have made 2 tea wreaths already. http://kojodesigns.blogspot.com/2010/03/kojotutorial-tea-tea-tea-kitchen-wreath.html

I am also planning to make these necklaces. http://thecraftingchicks.com/2009/08/industrial-strength-jewelry.html

Probably making some of these ornaments for myself (haha, YES, a Christmas gift for myself!). http://thecraftingchicks.com/2009/12/homemade-block-ornaments.html

I'm always looking for cool ideas, too - if you have heard of Pinterest, there are some GREAT hand-made Christmas gifts there.

One year I made chef hats and aprons for all the nieces and nephews.

I make gifts for my niece and nephew.

This year I made a princess and the pea play set with a bag for my niece.

I am making a magician's cape and hat for my nephew. (I bought some magic tricks to go with it).

I made my husband a valet tray for his dresser...

I've made dolls, clothes, super hero cape, doll sling etc...

I'm trying to more and more - it's just tough to buy so much. One year dd and I made cute Christmas coasters - MIL kind of stared at them, grunted, and stuffed them into the magazine rack. (I later snuck over and threw them out so dd wouldn't notice).

This year I'm making jams and canned things, and photo notecards. For teacher gifts, I'll give a nice loaf of bread and homemade jam. For family and close friends I'll add a set of notecards w/stamps. That's the farthest I've gotten.

Kalah, I like the idea of including a small Christmas ornament - I may see what I can come up with there, or maybe just buy an inexpensive set of small ones.

I'll sew doll clothes and pajama pants for Christmas for the kids. I'll probably sew some for my husband as well. I'll make Christmas ornaments of each kid on photoshop and order them from Winkflash (they are ceramic and only about $10 each). Each set of grandparents will get a set of 3 ornaments (each kiddo). We've done this before and they seemed to really like them:001_smile:

My goal this year was to make a pine needle basket for each couple/family in our family. That goal has shrunk to "somebody might get a basket". Giving baskets for next Christmas is looking better and better! They are not difficult to make, I'm just out of time. I love that the raw materials are right in our yard, and that they are a traditional handcraft for this area.

The tea wreath is really neat!

I'm trying to go mostly homemade this year. I'm making wooden peg dolls for the kids, as well as sewing art books with fancy pencils and a sketch book all stuck inside. And I may make them little wooden catapults to do ping pong ball battles.

I've done little gifts for other people before - sewn sandwich baggies last year for example. I'm not sure what I'm going to do this year though.

Gifts for other people is harder. Dh is especially tough. I may make him a kindle cover. I saw some really cool ones made from old books with the pages removed. Or I may carve and print a T-shirt for him. I did a potential design for that but it was complicated and too big for the lino I have so if I'm going to do it, I need to get busy. It takes the ink FOREVER to dry.

ETA: I've been dying to show off my little peg dolls of Avatar:

<a href=th_photo95.jpg' alt='th_photo95.jpg'>

Edited by farrarwilliams

I have no ideas of what tomake this year but in years past I have made:

art box full if supplies

playdough box full of homemade playdough and cookie cutters

Christmas pillow cases

I sewed cute little birds and made a bird house tong with them

That's all I can think of right now...

I do a few things every year.

Tradition in our family requires that I make both kids personalized pajamas. They open those on Christmas eve. I also make each one an ornament. They get those the night we decorate the tree, and the idea is that they will take them with them when they move out so that they have a "starter kit" for their own trees.

I usually try to put at least one more small home-made gift under the tree for each of them, too. I cross-stitch and crochet and sew and paint a little.

My daughter personalizes a nutcracker for her brother every year. This started when he performed in his first production, but we've kept up the tradition even though he's not at the ballet school any longer. She always tries to choose a theme that reflects his interests that year.

He always makes bath salts for her.

Each kid usually makes something for Dad, too. Last year, my son made this really cool steampunk-inspired chess set for him, using assorted nuts and bolts and hardware to make the pieces.

I bake bread and cookies to give away to teachers and friends.

I'm crocheting a large afghan for my son. He picked out the colors earlier this year. It'll be nice when I ever get it finished, lol.

DD...I'm probably going to crochet her one of those funky scarves and make some fun jewelry. Maybe a crocheted bag to tote her stuff around in...felted pencil case perhaps...I want to do a needle holder for her cross stitch needles (and one for myself to put in our stockings, :D)

I'm not sure for DH...I'm still thinking on that.

I love making gifts and not just for Christmas. I have made a hat for DH and plan on making a hat for my dad. My mother and I are making a quilt for dd, She is embroidering Sun Bonnet Sues on squares and I will sew it together. I am knitting socks for my mom. I hope to knit a shawl for my grandmother, if not for Christmas then for her birthday in January (she will be 99).

I am also working on making ornaments and garland for the tree. There are a few other things I want to make: tree skirt and advent calender but I won't have time this Christmas.

We've always made some handmade gifts. Over the years I've refined who I'll give them to -- some people seem to "get" that taking time to make a gift is special, and we thought about them the entire time we worked, but others seem happier to have some tacky store bought item thrown at them. I'm not going to waste my time of the latter, kwim? I guess they think that "homemade" means we went cheapo, but I think it means that we cared enough to use our own hands to make something full of love and personality. Whatever.

Some past projects:

Knitting -- scarves, sweaters, wrist warmers, dish cloths, etc.

Sewing -- pajama pants, bathrobe (kids did this while I directed)

Fleece pillows that are tied around a pillow form (kids did this)

Christmas ornaments

Crocheted Totoros and Soot sprites.

Jewelry

Some of those brownies-in-a-jar sets

Last year younger dd made those little dolls from pipe cleaners that are wrapped in embroidery floss and dressed in intricate embroidered felt outfits, and topped with a bead head. She made them to look like the recipients. It was amazing. She only made 2, though, since they took forever.

This year I have some new books on sewing felt I'm wanting to use. Cute little purses and animals, plus an adorable gingerbread house.

Also, I'd like to get some silk blanks for scarves, and try various techniques for decorating.

And I'm definitely going to get some metal stamps and washers for the necklaces -- wow, those are so cool! Except they probably won't be Christmas presents -- I just want to mess around with the idea.

http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/2006/11/crisscross_coas.html

We made these for our own family, but my mom came to stay with us last month and saw them. She couldn't believe that the girls had made them & requested them as a Christmas gift. :D She also said that several aunts would love them as well. So, that has made things a little easier around here. :)

I love those washer necklaces in a previous post!!

I'm bookmarking this thread, great timing!!!

I've started giving homemade food--I used to do knitted and sewn items but it took too long and added stress. Plus the recipients don't generally knit or sew so they had no idea of the work involved and were un-thrilled. Food always goes over well and a homemade jam or jelly gets ooohs and ahhhs from them (if only they knew how much quicker it was to can jam than to knit a hat!) So this year we are giving apple butter, elderberry jam, pear jam, dandelion wine and probably fresh bread or muffins, along with a few knitted dishcloths to fancy up the basket.

We made dipped pretzels for the family last year--just pretzel rods dipped in chocolate and sprinkles. Food gifts are easy for dd to make, and the boys like them.

She made me a set of 6 coasters out of felt--snowmen--so darling, and lots of work for her. I was very proud of her efforts.

I'm going to make some bath scrub--sugar scrub, I think. Looking for jars now. I may also make some flavored vinegar.

I don't give a lot of gifts that are homemade because I don't really craft, and I have to send a lot of stuff thru the mail, so the above are just for my kids and a couple of close girl friends.

I found high quality designer fabric already cut to the perfect size for making pillows at our local thrift shop. We'll be stuffing them with balsam so they will be scented. They will be gifts for the 4H leaders this year along with some homemade fudge (Ds makes this) and/or possibly homemade granola. Same gifts are going to the dog breeders who have been helping Dd and I with training and grooming. Amazingly in the bag of fabric were some with horses and some with dogs, so we should be able to make pillows to suit each leader perfectly.

We made these for our own family, but my mom came to stay with us last month and saw them. She couldn't believe that the girls had made them & requested them as a Christmas gift. :D She also said that several aunts would love them as well. So, that has made things a little easier around here. :)

THANK YOU for this!! I just whipped up 2 sets of these for about $3 a set (my fabric stash was nil). I don't even sew that well, and these were really easy!

Now to try the tea wreath with materials I already have.... :D

I have made 2 tea wreaths already. http://kojodesigns.blogspot.com/2010/03/kojotutorial-tea-tea-tea-kitchen-wreath.html

I am also planning to make these necklaces. http://thecraftingchicks.com/2009/08/industrial-strength-jewelry.html

Probably making some of these ornaments for myself (haha, YES, a Christmas gift for myself!). http://thecraftingchicks.com/2009/12/homemade-block-ornaments.html

I'm always looking for cool ideas, too - if you have heard of Pinterest, there are some GREAT hand-made Christmas gifts there.

One year I made chef hats and aprons for all the nieces and nephews.

:thumbup: Oh, I love these ideas! Thank you!

I have some homemade Vanilla Extract brewing and almost ready to be bottled. I hope it turns out okay. I've never made it before.

:thumbup: Oh, I love these ideas! Thank you!

I have some homemade Vanilla Extract brewing and almost ready to be bottled. I hope it turns out okay. I've never made it before.

Ooooh, last night I found vanilla salt instructions and thought of this thread! I want to make some for my foodie inlaws. Where did you get your vanilla? I've never priced it -- is it outrageous?

Every year we pick a project, here are ours this year.

http://www.aworkinprogress.net/2011/10/shhhhh.html

I love the tile jewelry. It's funny -- I'm not a jewelry-wearing person, but I'm loving all the necklaces, etc. everyone is showing in this thread.

Also, if you're doing the felted-sweater-into-oven-mitt thing, JoAnn sells the type of batting that's heat-resistant. It seems like that would give the oven mitt some more oomph. I have a bunch left over from when my older dd sewed potholders one year -- she used quilting fabric sewn in a simple pattern, cotton batting, and the heat-resistant stuff. They are really fabulous and surprisingly heavy-duty; I'm glad I was gifted with a couple.

Where did you get your vanilla? I've never priced it -- is it outrageous?

I ordered my vanilla beans from Beanilla . They were on special and I think I spent about $17. for 25 beans. They shipped quickly and I was pleased with the quality. I had plenty leftover so made some Vanilla Sugar too. So simple! I've never heard of Vanilla Salt. I may have to try that too.

You can also buy vanilla beans on Amazon. I think the price may be comparable.

our sons (along with the father) are making a coat tree for our daughter's room (she doesn't have a very big closet) so this is for her coats, purses and such. Our daughter is making scarves and fleece pillowcases for her brothers in their favorite Michigan colors (maize and blue).

Still looking for ideas for the kids to make their grandparents...haven't read all of the posts on this thread, so I hope to glean some ideas here.

Last year our daughter made bath salts for the ladies in our family, as well as crocheted kitchen scrubbies. This year she plans on making liquid soap.

I'm making my niece and nephew (4 and 2) a superhero cape and crayon roll. I'm making my other niece (1) a ruffled dress and leggings. Last year, I made nephew a card table tent from felt; a quilt for baby niece; and dress for older niece. We only do gifts for the kids.

We also have a birthday in December, I'm making a quiet book for that. I need to go back through all these link during naptime!