Menu

would you just be blunt/honest?

I am not good with telling people IRL what they don't want to hear. I can sometimes scoot around the issue.

Background: I wanted to get an item used. I posted that I was looking for said item on a local mom's board I am a part of.

Person responded saying that she would give me said item for free if I agreed to have one of those home parties with wares she is selling.

I agreed that if I could get said item I would have the party.

Person then started posting on the message board about how she loved said item and wasn't sure she wanted to upgrade/buy new (as she had told me) and she was looking for opinions about upgrades being worth it.

I told DH and he said, "Just go buy the item. She isn't going to give it to you."

So, I bought it. I emailed her and told her I couldn't have the party and didn't need the item anymore.

She responded with, "Oh, well, let's reschedule the party for January."

Do I ignore that or just respond bluntly? I have NO intention of having this party. I hate home parties to attend, much less host. I was only doing it for said item.

Dawn

I would just say something along the lines of

"thanks again for your original offer to give me _______ but after thinking about it, I realized that my crazy schedule and full load of things going on wouldn't make me a good host for party. I appreciate your offer but really feel it would be better if I didn't have to add anything else to my plate. I hate spreading myself too thin and adding this on wouldn't be fair to you or me. Thanks anyway!"

I'd be more straightforward. Telling her it's because of a busy schedule may just lead her to keep hounding you about whether your schedule is cleared up yet.

I would just say "I'm sorry, I'm just really not interested in those types of parties and have no desire to host one." Period. Then just drop it. If SHE brings up about you promising to host one you will have to tell her, "Well, yes, but that was when we were making a deal regarding trading X for me hosting a party. As the deal did not go through and as I am not interested in these types of parties, I'm going to pass on hosting one."

I'd be more straightforward. Telling her it's because of a busy schedule may just lead her to keep hounding you about whether your schedule is cleared up yet.

I would just say "I'm sorry, I'm just really not interested in those types of parties and have no desire to host one." Period. Then just drop it. If SHE brings up about you promising to host one you will have to tell her, "Well, yes, but that was when we were making a deal regarding trading X for me hosting a party. As the deal did not go through and as I am not interested in these types of parties, I'm going to pass on hosting one."

:iagree: Then if she continues to hound you, ignore it. If she STILL hounds you, tell her not to ask again. You've told her you don't want to host the party, please don't bother you anymore about it.

I also hate those parties. I hate that I get invited to so many every single year.:glare:

Respond bluntly. "I was only going to host the party because you were going to give me xyz. You had clear doubts about giving me xyz, so I bought it elsewhere. So I am not hosting this party for you."

:iagree: This is clear and straightforward . It explains why you said yes to the party and the "only" explains that it was the only reason. I would probably eliminate the last sentence or elaborate and say, "Since I agreed to host a party in a trade and not because I'm interested in the party or product, please take me off your list of potential hostesses."

Personally, I think she has a lot of nerve expecting you to hold up your end of a deal that fell through. :confused:

Classic MLM. I, personally, would ignore, and titter lightly and move along if she brings it up in person. The more you fight with the tar baby, the stickier you get.

That is so extremely rude of her to put a condition on a 'free' item!!! I agree with telling her that since the agreement of 'hosting a party in exchange for the item' fell through, you've decided that you'll pass on hosting the party.

That was the other thought I had. If someone put free for an item and I responded than they had a condition. Well, that really isn't free in my book. I would have told her forget it. It sounds like she is using the free item as a way to book more parties. Tacky...

:iagree: I like how Nance has worded it.

Be unequivocal. You can be kind, but let her know in no uncertain terms that you will not be having the party - that you are not interested in doing it. You will be doing yourself and her a favor. (I do a home party business (Usborne) and prefer it when people are honest instead of stringing me along - saves me time and energy. But, then again, I am not pushy like that;).)

If she hounds you, you can say "The party was only on the condition that I got xyz free. I've gotten the item elsewhere so I'm not going to do the party." I've found that if people don't get the more soft message that you have to really spell it out for them.

:iagree:Say it this way. Those of us in direct sales are usually told by our up-person that we should respond exactly as she did...wording things with the assumption that we will just move the party rather than cancel it. This way we aren't losing altogether. If she hounds you, give it to her directly. (btw, I'm one of those that does take no as an answer...I don't like heavy handed pressure tactics. At the same time, I've never gotten far in direct sales)

Direct Sales is not MLM, tyvm.

Multi-level marketing.

Ah yes. I hate to say it but people involved in these types of businesses can be very misleading to the point of outright deceptive. When I was in college I had someone contact me through another student for an "interview". I was a design student and he even went so far as to tell me he heard I was a good designer from this other student and wanted to talk to me. I even asked if I should bring a portfolio and he said "Oh not this time." He intentionally made it sound like it was a legitimate interview for design work. Turns out it was just a pitch for his multi-level marketing company and I was very annoyed. :glare:

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack, but just thought of that and was annoyed all over again. :)

:iagree:Say it this way. Those of us in direct sales are usually told by our up-person that we should respond exactly as she did...wording things with the assumption that we will just move the party rather than cancel it. This way we aren't losing altogether. If she hounds you, give it to her directly. (btw, I'm one of those that does take no as an answer...I don't like heavy handed pressure tactics. At the same time, I've never gotten far in direct sales)

Direct Sales is not MLM, tyvm.

I do understand there is a difference between the two but it does seem like sometimes the lines can blur. For instance, when a friend of mine got involved in Mary Kay, not only did she start pressuring me to put on parties, but she very much wanted me to be a consultant as well. She would benefit from signing up consultants and from her consultants signing up more people. She's now involved in PartyLite and I've avoided conversations with her about it as much as possible, but I've gotten some pressure from her to sign up with them as well until I told her in no uncertain terms that I had no time and no interest whatsoever in being involved. So it does seem like these types of companies that have you doing home parties bare some resemblance to the MLM type of company, though I think that's more up to the individual person how much they try to sign up other people under them.

That is so extremely rude of her to put a condition on a 'free' item!!! I agree with telling her that since the agreement of 'hosting a party in exchange for the item' fell through, you've decided that you'll pass on hosting the party.

:iagree:And that means the item was never free to begin with. It had a price, just not a monetary price. Be polite, but direct and honest. Make it clear you are not interested or willing to host a party.

My opinion: The item wasn't free. You were obligated to hold a party, which in itself can be a great expense - in time and money. You may have purchased items for refreshments or felt obligated to purchase items from the company.

About the part in January, there is no need to explain yourself, especially if you feel uncomfortable with the "confrontation". Simply say, "Thank you for asking; however, I am not interested in having a party. Should I change my mind in the future, I will contact you and let you know."

To me this is polite without feeling as if you need to explain or give her the opportunity to argue it. Also, you are informing her that she need not ask you again as you will contact her yourself. Should she continue to push, just say, "Thank you again for asking, but I will let you know in the future if I am interested."

Ah yes. I hate to say it but people involved in these types of businesses can be very misleading to the point of outright deceptive. When I was in college I had someone contact me through another student for an "interview". I was a design student and he even went so far as to tell me he heard I was a good designer from this other student and wanted to talk to me. I even asked if I should bring a portfolio and he said "Oh not this time." He intentionally made it sound like it was a legitimate interview for design work. Turns out it was just a pitch for his multi-level marketing company and I was very annoyed. :glare:

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack, but just thought of that and was annoyed all over again. :)

I would have been annoyed, too. I hate it when people are deceptive like that. :smash:

If she hounds you, you can say "The party was only on the condition that I got xyz free. I've gotten the item elsewhere so I'm not going to do the party." I've found that if people don't get the more soft message that you have to really spell it out for them.

This. I see no reason to hem and haw about it.

I do understand there is a difference between the two but it does seem like sometimes the lines can blur. For instance, when a friend of mine got involved in Mary Kay, not only did she start pressuring me to put on parties, but she very much wanted me to be a consultant as well. She would benefit from signing up consultants and from her consultants signing up more people. She's now involved in PartyLite and I've avoided conversations with her about it as much as possible, but I've gotten some pressure from her to sign up with them as well until I told her in no uncertain terms that I had no time and no interest whatsoever in being involved. So it does seem like these types of companies that have you doing home parties bare some resemblance to the MLM type of company, though I think that's more up to the individual person how much they try to sign up other people under them.

Agreed. And that's usually when one is trying to "climb" rather than just sell with options for others to sign up. I'm the latter type of person. I'm not interested in signing everyone and their mother up, not that I mind having anyone signed up under me, just that that is not my priority.

Best not to engage any further with these types of folks. Once the foot is in the door.... Simply ignore and send that email into the black hole now! AM sure she is used to failing to hear 'no' so don't beat yourself up over this and enjoy your new item!

Thank you all. I think in this situation I will need to be a bit blunt or at least direct.

Many of you have outlined why I don't even like sales at all.

I bought a LOT of Creative Memories last year trying to help a friend out. I haven't even used ANY of it and she keeps hounding me to come to more parties and events and buy more.

Now, I like Creative Memories, I just wish the albums would make themselves! :lol:

I also like Tupperware, Pampered Chef, Mary Kay and some other products. But I almost never go to parties or purchase retail priced items, and I certainly have NO desire to sell anything.

Dawn