Menu

How deeply do you feel identified with your state

I guess this is mostly asked of Americans, but others can answer to if they feel like discussing this ....

Apart from family attachment and job obligations, but just on an emotional level, how much do you feel attached to your state? How much do you feel like, whatever state your husband's job might more you to, you will always be a Virginian (or Oregonian or whatever)? If you live in "your state" how much would you resist moving from it? Or do you have a state you feel a primary attachment to because you were born or bred there, or your parents hailed from there, or you have lived there for decades?

I am asking the same question, I guess, several ways. But on a basic self identity level, how much are you connected to a particular state?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've moved all over after living in TN for 30 years. No matter where I go, I will always be from TN and it will always be home. I guess it's hard to get away from it when everywhere I move I'm constantly asked where my accent is from. It's amazing how many people I've met have some story or relation to that state. Usually, I spend time discussing it with anyone who asks, "Where are you from".

I'm very connected to my state, though I've only been here a few years. I feel proud to be from here (CO) and I feel that this is where I was meant to be.

We are planning a move to another state, but we are young and I am certain we will eventually settle back here.

The state I was born and raised in, I feel very little attachment.

Guest IdahoMtnMom

I spent the first 28 years of my life in Orange County California. I moved to Idaho in 2005. If asked, I will say I am an Idahoan. I feel little or no connection to California. I can't even stand visiting. I knew when I was 9 and first visit here on a vacation that I would live here (Sun Valley, Idaho) one day and here I am. It has been my mental home for 25 years.

I grew up in So. Cal and don't claim it one bit. Hate the place. Moved to TX in high school and lived there 12 years. LOVED IT. Claimed TX as home for all of the following 7 years in Indiana......then I moved to MA and I now am conflicted. I would have told you TX is where my heart was, but I think New England has stolen it!

Not much. I don't really have a "home." Born in Ill, moved to CT, then to OH (now, I do feel some connection to OH, because I went to OSU), then FL, then OH, then FL, then VA, then FL, then TX, now VA. You'd think I'd feel connected to FL! LOL I don't have much family in OH.

Like southernm, I am from TN. And also like southernm, I will always be connected to this place. We are looking for a new job for dh and even the thought of moving somewhere else again makes me miss living here. We lived in the Philadelphia area for over 10 years. I felt like I started breathing again when I came back to eastern TN. I know the description is dramatic, but I really feel this way. It is like the song says, "I hope that heaven looks like these mountains, to remind me of the land of my birth."

I feel more attached than I used to. We lived in another state and encountered the you-aren't-from-around-here-and-you-will-never-be quite often in attitude and actions.

We moved back "home" last year. My family has lived in this area/state for over 150 years so now I can say this is where I'm from. :tongue_smilie::lol:

I don't feel tied (as in we can't live elsewhere) to the state and we only moved back to be closer to family. At some point in my life I'd like to live close to the beach, but I'll still identify with this state.

Like southernm, I am from TN. And also like southernm, I will always be connected to this place. We are looking for a new job for dh and even the thought of moving somewhere else again makes me miss living here. We lived in the Philadelphia area for over 10 years. I felt like I started breathing again when I came back to eastern TN. I know the description is dramatic, but I really feel this way. It is like the song says, "I hope that heaven looks like these mountains, to remind me of the land of my birth."

Awww at least *SOMEONE* else appreciates the south. My dad moved from Mid TN to Maryville. His yard backs up to the Foothills Parkway. We love going to visit. It's like a mini vaca every time!

I grew up in Florida, so I'll always say I'm from Florida. I would say there isn't a lot of pride in being from Florida. I've seen facebook posts about "You know you're a Florida girl when..." followed by some southern stereotype. I just roll my eyes. I guess since my family is from New York, I don't really identify with the South.

Florida is so diverse (well maybe not the panhandle), people come from all over, it's hard to have a "Florida heritage." I like Florida, but if I could move to a place with more seasons, I'd go in heartbeat.

But as far as my personal identity, I'm a Floridian. Now if we moved to another state and stayed there for a few decades, it might change. I'm not too attached to this particular state.

North Carolina! Woo! To Be Rather Than To Seem!

Oh, wait, I'm a DC'er now. But I still feel a strong affinity for the Lost Colony, the Andy Griffith Show and hush puppies as the natural side dish for bbq.

I do feel an affinity to DC too. But mostly I feel disenfranchised. Y'all know I would love the right to vote, right?

I don't consider NC "home" at all. We have been here 6 years now.

I feel very much a part of the West Coast. I lived on the West Coast for 22 years. 4 years in college in Seattle and 18 years in the Los Angeles area. I miss California terribly sometimes. Certain things I don't miss (traffic, crowds, smog) but there is a lot I do miss (my job, friends, family, mountains, beach close by, lots of museums, plenty to do, snow skiing in shorts, the diversity, etc....)

Now, I grew up overseas, so California is the first place I called "home" in the USA.

Dawn

I have family roots here. Dh and my father went to the same high school and dh's grandparents and my grandparents actually knew each other before we met. I grew up in a Navy family so moved all over. When we moved back in 1973 I felt like I was coming home. But that's mostly because of family.

I do love Virginia for other reasons, though. I'm glad to live in a state with such a rich history - especially the county I live in. George Washington's boyhood home is nearby, his birthplace and adult home are just a few counties away. The homeschool laws are great and the economy is fairly good.

I went to college in the Shenandoah Valley - so beautiful and again, rich in history.

I really wouldn't want to live any place else.

I guess this is mostly asked of Americans, but others can answer to if they feel like discussing this ....

Apart from family attachment and job obligations, but just on an emotional level, how much do you feel attached to your state? How much do you feel like, whatever state your husband's job might more you to, you will always be a Virginian (or Oregonian or whatever)? If you live in "your state" how much would you resist moving from it? Or do you have a state you feel a primary attachment to because you were born or bred there, or your parents hailed from there, or you have lived there for decades?

I am asking the same question, I guess, several ways. But on a basic self identity level, how much are you connected to a particular state?

I moved from my home state at the age of 9 and lived in 3 more states before heading to college, in yet another state. I graduated college, married, set up my first household and birthed 5 babies in that state. It's probably the one I feel most emotionally connected to although I have no desire whatsoever to live there again. Not really connected to my present state but I LOVE where I live. If I spend the next 20 years here I bet the connection will come. Maybe?

I'm a MISSISSIPPI girl/southern belle through and through.....have lived here since I was about 5 or so and have no other memories of other places we lived.....my family is here.....for the most part,I like it-we've talked about what would happen if dh had to move to keep his job or one that pays comparable to what he has now and of course we would go because there aren't other job opportunities that pay as well as what dh has now and if I want to stay a SAHM/HOUSEWIFE then he would have to make the same/more than he does now.....lost that train of thought....in general I feel that even for all the problems my state has,it's home-always will be.....

I lived in 8 states so far. I don't really consider myself "from" any of them, although I do have extra fondness for the states in which I've lived or am currently living in.

For this reason, I don't really intend on doing much state history in our homeschool.

I dislike this state. If we could move tomorrow, I would pack tonight (except back to Indiana).

I love Texas. I lived in Katy/Sugar Land/Houston and the people were pretty nice there. Virginia was lovely when I lived there. I grew up in Indiana and would rather not go back.

Do identify with any of them? Hmmm...No...I'm actually drawn to Arkansas. I've only drove through a few times, probably stopped once or twice but it feels like home to me. Now, I know I'll never move out of this state in the near future, so I just suck it up. But if my SO could find a job in Arkansas or Texas and afford for us to all live there, I'd beg him to move me...errr...us there. Yes, I dislike Iowa that much. :glare:

I have no attachment to the state I currently live in, I would move in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself.

I feel strongly attached to the state where I was born, grew-up, went to college, met and married DH in, etc. For that state, I have a great deal of pride. I will always be a Nebraskan.

I was born in NC, as were both of my parents, their parents, and their grandparents (...and probably etc., but who knows?). I'm almost 43, and I've only lived in NC a total of 13 years, but I will always be "from North Carolina"; it maybe helps that I am a UNC-CH alum, but that's just icing on the cake. :tongue_smilie: All of my living family members are in NC, including my mom and my sister. For me, going to NC = going 'home'.

I live in CA now, and I can't stand it here. Well, I love the mountains, and that we have four seasons (minus the fall colors, alas) up here in the higher elevations, but I can't wait until we leave this state.

Looks like we might be going back to FL next year - eh, it's okay, but I do so long to get back to the mid-Atlantic area. That's what feels right to me. There was a chance that we'd be going to northern GA, which would have been just fine, and there's still a very tiny (too tiny!) chance it'll be Maryland, which is almost as good... but only almost. :lol:

I'm definitely an ex-patriot VIRGINIAN! The 13-year-old me who moved to her father's home state would be very surprised to hear that the 34-year-old me thinks Virginia the best and most beautiful state in the Union! I hated it at the time (mostly because it wasn't Pennsylvania). We would like to live there again, esp. to be near family, but would miss some of the particular people we've gotten to know here in Louisiana.

I grew up mostly in maryland, but feel no real attachment to it, even to the point where i didn't consider any state schools for college. We moved here about 9 years ago and it feels like my kids' home but for me it's still just where we live. I like it here, but I think I would like almost anywhere we lived. But I moved around a lot until high school, so that probably affects how i think.

We are very connected to Florida. It is home. I've lived in FL the majority of my life and so has my husband. My family is here and my husband's family is here. We love our church and our homeschool friends. I just can't see being any other place right now.

I don't go around calling myself a Michigander, but I wouldn't move to another state for anything. Sure it gets pretty cold in the winter, but we don't have freaky bugs/snakes, earthquakes, hurricanes, wildfires, massive floods/droughts, tsunamis, weeks of +100 degree temps, etc. Sure our economy is in the toilet, but if you're dh is blessed to have a job, it's a great place to live. And it's a breeze to homeschool here.

This is not "my" state. I live in California because that is where my husband's job is. I have no family here and no intention of living here forever. I have absolutely NO connection with the state of California. Well, other than the connection that develops between two people who loathe each other.

Kind of conflicted on this. Before moving here I would have said I am a Texan. My family is from there and I spent a great part of my life there. Everytime I left Texas and I end up right back there again. Then I moved here. I have been here 8 years now. That is the longest I have ever lived anywhere. I am pretty sure I will be here until my youngest two graduate from HS, so 5 more years and then I am hoping that if I move from here it will be to GA where the rest of my children live. Especially since my brother (who lives in TX) says that he would also move to GA if we did. That would put the majority of my immediate family together in one place and that is what is most important to me. So even though I have never lived in GA and don't really feel any call from the state itself, it will probably end up being home to me and mine. But my heart, it will always be in TX.

I am a Montanan through and through. Currently live in Illinois, which I don't care for, and am most comfortable and happy in Massachusetts. Or Hawaii. We all plan to leave Illinois as soon as my husband retires which isn't too far away, thankfully.

I grew up in California, and that sure felt like home to me! Then I bounced around for several years, before settling in the Midwest for 20 years. I didn't really FEEL like a Midwesterner, however, until I left for awhile, and then came back again. Finally, it really feels like home. :) However, I think if I spent another 20 years somewhere else, eventually that, too, would feel like home.

I am a California girl through and through. Both my family and Dh's family have been here since before it was a state. Sure it's not perfect but what state is? Where else can you find ocean, mountains, desert and rainforest? I can not live without the ocean. When I get all kinked up, we head out to the beach and watch the waves. Everything is put in perspective.

I am not sure why there is so much disdain for California. Not everyone lives in Hollywood or Santa Cruz. California leads all the other states in farm income. California produces almost all the country's almonds, apricots, dates, figs, kiwi, nectarines, olives, pistachios, prunes and walnuts. We are also the main producer of avocado, grapes, lemons, melons, peaches, plums and strawberries. There are many minerals mined in California that are used in manufacturing that are found in no other part of the country. The film industry & computer industry were born here.

I have visited many other states and I have yet to find one as beautiful and varied as California. Homeschooling is a breeze here. If Dh's work takes us away I would be very, very homesick and would have to visit often.

Amber in SJ

I am a Montanan through and through. Currently live in Illinois, which I don't care for, and am most comfortable and happy in Massachusetts. Or Hawaii. We all plan to leave Illinois as soon as my husband retires which isn't too far away, thankfully.

Ugh, if you are around SAFB, then you understand why I despised IL.

We've lived all over the place, but I am still a Hoosier. My primary loyalty though is to my hometown. Down here in NC the first question I'm asked is "where are you from?" They always know! I would love to still live in Indiana except for the blistering cold and lack of employment for DH. The place I felt was the "home away from home" for us was East Tenn. not only is it amazingly beautiful there, the people were very nice. When we retire that's probably where we will go.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

I'm Hoosier Texan :D

Born in Indiana, lived there on and off most of my life (we moved around a lot, but always came back) and then met and married a Texan and moved there and will probably never leave.

Indiana is HOME. It's where my heart is and I will always get back there somehow as often as I possibly can. But I haven't lived there in over a decade.

Texas is home. I love this state and everything about it - the people, the culture, the big-as-life everything, the sports, the land, the history, the weather. My Mom was born here and her family has lived here for generations. Lord Willing, we will probably never, ever leave.

I guess I think of Indiana as being part of me, while Texas is a place that I don't ever want to leave. I am FROM Indiana, I live in Texas.