Menu

A homeschooling validation that I can't talk about with most of my real life friends

I debated about whether I should post my experience, but I thought it might offer encouragement to someone else, and I am very happy at the moment, but I can’t really share it with the vast majority of my real-life friends because it may come across as bragging.

We are in our 4th year of homeschooling. I started homeschooling when my kids were 7, 9, and 11 after two years in our very well regarded public school system.

The last year of public school was a nightmare for my middle child. I’ll spare the details, but it was a struggle most days to get him on the bus, his teacher insisted that he had ADD and needed to be medicated, and he had completely lost his love of learning.

After many sleepless nights, I decided to try homeschooling. Homeschooling had never been on my radar – I didn’t know of a single person who had homeschooled. I had no idea where to start, but I was desperate to try something to get back my happy boy.

Our extended family was very vocal in their opposition to our decision to homeschool. These types of comments are never fun to hear, but they were extremely hurtful since they were voiced by family.

At the end of the last year of public school, I received the kids’ state test results in the mail. My middle son had dropped from the highest reading level at age 8 to just barely proficient at age 9 – a drop of over two levels in just one year.

My kids have thrived in the homeschooling environment, but there were (are) still days when I (was)am insecure in our decision (even though logically I know I should not feel this way).

Fast forward a few years. My middle son took the SAT this month in hopes of qualifying for CTY’s computer science classes. He has always been strong in math (even when in public school, I “afterschooled†math) and I felt pretty confident that he would achieve the necessary math score. I received his results yesterday. Not only did he qualify for the math and science classes, but his reading score was high enough to qualify for the humanity classes!

Rationally, I know I should not need this outside validation to make me feel that we made the right educational decision 3+ years ago, but this is tangible evidence that helps to quiet that inner doubting voice that still occasionally nags at me.

Congratulations! That is great news.

We came about hs our ds in much the same way. The specifics were different, but it has been interesting to see how much his love for learning had disappeared while in ps. It is only now that we are hs that we can see how drastic the difference is.

:party: Outside validation is always encouraging! I sent my kiddos to school for the first time ever this year and they all were doing very well academically. I got their first report cards yesterday and I have 2 kiddos on the all A honor roll! I didn't screw them up completely!!!!

Let's celebrate together!

Rationally, I know I should not need this outside validation to make me feel that we made the right educational decision 3+ years ago, but this is tangible evidence that helps to quiet that inner doubting voice that still occasionally nags at me.

Congratulations!!!! It IS good to receive outside validation every so often - it is often what we need to keep on going!

As someone in their second year of homeschooling, who get little to no support, Thank you! These types of stories really do help. I am being told weekly how I have made the wrong choice and am hurting my children's future prospects. Thank you, thank you! Keep them coming.

Congratulation to you and you son.

Nicole

Seriously, your post is like a breath of fresh air to me! I just posted on how my sister insists we put the girls in before middle school so they can learn to deal with nasty bullies. At first, I didn't see it as your standard anti-homeschooling bully philosophy.

Anyhow, your post is great, and it did not come off as bragging at all to me. It just made me feel validated too. Congratulations! I need more of these stories!

That is great news! I understand what you mean about validation. I don't talk about test scores often but I've felt the same way. Once, I had someone, in a small group setting, ask how my kids would get in to college, and if they did, get scholarships. There was more, which led me to saying, "The average ACT score in our home is a 30, one a little higher, one a little lower. Getting scholarships is not a problem". That pretty much ended the conversation. Just got some "oh's" and moved on.