Menu

Christians! On a daily basis, which is more important to you?

Christians! Which is more important to teach your dc....  

1. 1. Christians! Which is more important to teach your dc....

• To teach them to read their Bibles each day.
    • To teach them to live like Jesus each day.

I don't see it as an either/or.

How else can one learn to live as Christ did, without reading the Bible?

:iagree:

Although I am very bad about it. We don't read the Bible daily, or even weekly. We need to it is just doing it.

The kids think it is boring and I haven't found anything (like a curriculum) that I like.

Gah, now I feel like a heathen!

If I could only do one, I'd do the second. Wholly illiterate people have been and can be devout Christians. The same cannot be said of those who do not strive to follow Christ.

ETA: I think it's important to remember that the earliest Christians didn't have the New Testament because it did not yet exist. They learned the Gospel message from others who'd heard it.

If I could only do one, I'd do the second. Wholly illiterate people have been and can be devout Christians. The same cannot be said of those who do not strive to follow Christ.

ETA: I think it's important to remember that the earliest Christians didn't have the New Testament because it did not yet exist. They learned the Gospel message from others who'd heard it.

Yup.

I agree with this. The Pharasees (I'm sure I misspelled that) knew the Law. I'd think it a very shallow faith if I only read the Gospel to my children, but never showed them what it means to fruitfully apply it.

Very true - God's grace is given through the Gospel, in every form in which it is brought to man. Reading the Bible is not the only way to hear the Word - the important thing is that we hear the Word *somehow*. God gives His grace through the Word and the Sacraments - we *can't* live like Christ without the Word.

If daily Bible reading were a requirement for holiness, there would have been only a tiny handful of true Christians before the invention of the printing press. I know some Protestants think this way, but Catholic and Orthodox Christians wouldn't agree. :) We hear the Word in our liturgies -- which are filled with Scripture -- and we're strongly encouraged to read the Bible at home and study it in parish groups. But we don't consider it essential to read it for guidance on a daily basis, as a sort of personal instruction book.

On a somewhat related note, Marshall McLuhan's The Gutenberg Galaxy has some interesting observations about the religious and sociological changes that came about during the print era. It helped me understand some of the different perspectives that people have (e.g., "If they aren't reading the Bible, they aren't learning to truly live like Jesus"). It's very applicable to education, too.

If daily Bible reading were a requirement for holiness, there would have been only a tiny handful of true Christians before the invention of the printing press. I know some Protestants think this way, but Catholic and Orthodox Christians wouldn't agree.

As a Protestant with an affection for Catholicism and Orthodoxy, I agree ~ thus my bolding above.

Exactly.

If daily Bible reading were a requirement for holiness, there would have been only a tiny handful of true Christians before the invention of the printing press. I know some Protestants think this way, but Catholic and Orthodox Christians wouldn't agree. :) We hear the Word in our liturgies -- which are filled with Scripture -- and we're strongly encouraged to read the Bible at home and study it in parish groups. But we don't consider it essential to read it for guidance on a daily basis, as a sort of personal instruction book.

I took "reading the Bible" as encompassing hearing the Word in all ways. Could be personal bias, since as a liturgical Lutheran, I don't see the Bible as a "personal instruction book" either, but as a means of grace - and how can we live like Christ without God's grace?

Of course both are important, but if I could only do one? The second. It's one thing to read about, it's another to live it. To me, living it is what really matters.

Yes, but how can we live like Christ without the grace of God? And God's grace comes through the Word (in every form it is brought to man; i.e. not just by sitting and reading ;)) and the Sacraments - we *need* the Word and the Sacraments - they are how the Holy Spirit works in us.

:iagree: But..

Jesus is the Word. Grace comes through Him.

To answer the question, I'd say I'd go for #2 first, but only by a small margin. I think both are important. However, I do believe if one has studied scripture, but then finds themselves in a situation where they have no access to it other than what they've remembered, they can continue be live and behave like Christ without reading the Bible daily.

I am someone who for most of my Christian life has tried to live like Jesus. I can't. Now that I am learning more from the word of God, living like Jesus isn't as big of a priority to me because what I am learning is shaping and molding me to become more like Him anyway.

Can I suggest you look at Balancing the Sword by Allen Wolfe. This is simply a book asking questions as you are reading the bible. There is really only one way to answer the questions if you are sitting down thinking logically about it. It is so well cross-referenced it is unbelievable. We have only started, but as a family and the discussions it is creating is amazing, and our oldest is only 10. I can't wait until they are teenagers, the discussion will be awesome.

Both. How can they know how Jesus lived if they do not read their Bibles?

More importantly, how can God's grace work in us, how can the Holy Spirit make us more Christ-like, without the Word (and the Sacraments)?

(And this is the Word in any form - hearing, reading, remembered, sung - not just reading silently from a printed Bible.)

The Holy Spirit, primarily, followed by mentors who are more spiritually mature.

Christianity isn't about The Bible, it's about Jesus. If someone can't read or doesn't have a Bible in his/her language, they can still walk with Christ and grow in their faith.

The Bible is good, but it isn't the cornerstone of faith.

Jesus is the Word. Grace comes through Him.

To answer the question, I'd say I'd go for #2 first, but only by a small margin. I think both are important. However, I do believe if one has studied scripture, but then finds themselves in a situation where they have no access to it other than what they've remembered, they can continue be live and behave like Christ without reading the Bible daily.

:iagree: This is assuming that the written Word is still at least available in the church, at the minimum.

I don't think I'll retell this story very well. I'm trying to look up details, but my poor knowledge of history beyond 300 AD is hindering me (we're about to finish SOTW1, can you tell?? ;)). At church in the last few weeks, I've heard two different women speak about the country/countries which they and their ancestors are from. They told of how during a few hundred years of Ottoman rule (like I said, these details might be wrong and that would be my fault, not theirs), their forefathers could not read and they didn't have Bibles in their homes. But the church, with it's liturgical cycle and scripture readings (I'm assuming the church had a Bible!), kept their faith alive.

That said, we probably do a better job each day in learning about Jesus than in acting like Him. I'd rather strive toward #2, though :)

:iagree: Also "living like Jesus" without any spiritual understanding behind it is just a form of legalism. It might not look like legalism because it might be kinder and gentler but it is a form without substance.

This is confusing for me. :confused: Literacy among the regular population is a recent development. So, how did Christians live as Christ before that? They didn't have Bibles to read and the couldn't have read them if they had them. Are we more Christlike now that we have more access and more literacy?

Genuine question, no snark! ;)

Love ya, Imp!!!!

I voted #2

This is confusing for me. :confused: Literacy among the regular population is a recent development. So, how did Christians live as Christ before that? They didn't have Bibles to read and the couldn't have read them if they had them. Are we more Christlike now that we have more access and more literacy?

Genuine question, no snark! ;)

Love ya, Imp!!!!

I voted #2

When I answered, it was based on the idea that without the Bible, how would someone get to know Christ enough to know what living like Him would entail? All the answers about Christ are in the Bible.

I personally think that relying on others to interpret information on your (general 'your') behalf is a dangerous thing, and can lead to grave misunderstandings, even deliberate abuse of information.

I realize, with the questions re: literacy, that its not always possible to read for oneself, but when I read the question, its what came to mind.

If I had to pick one I would say teach them to read the scriptures everyday because if they do that then No. 2 should just flow on from that :D

I realize, with the questions re: literacy, that its not always possible to read for oneself, but when I read the question, its what came to mind.

Gotcha! ;) When I read your post I was reading it as absolute, so that was where I got confused!!! :D

I voted #2. I agree with others. Reading the Bible is important too. Hard to separate. However, I do think that Jesus can reveal himself in ways other than the Bible. I am thinking of how this worked in the Old Testament. Moses and the burning bush etc. If there wasn't an option for the Bible, perhaps that would happen more today.

Thanks for all the responses.

I've been feeling frustrated with people lately who put so much emphasis on daily reading their Bibles, yet they repeatedly treat people poorly. This topic came up with some friends who swear having their kids attend church activities like Awana, etc. is making them better Christians.

I choose not to involve my dc in any type of church activity that puts memorizing Bible verses above teaching/modeling how to actually live like Jesus. I don't want our dc to be rewarded for simply memorizing scripture-that seems so pointless. I have asked myself if Jesus smiles more at the kids who are busy memorizing scripture. I just can't be convinced of that. Honestly, I don't even think people need to read the Bible to claim to be Christian. Don't get me wrong, I do think It's important, but not nearly as important as how I develop an intimate relationship with Christ and how I treat others-that is how I approach our faith with our dc.

Anyhoo, definitely rambled here!

:grouphug:

Honestly, I don't even think people need to read the Bible to claim to be Christian.

assuming i can only pick one, i voted for living like jesus.

the above statement is if-y for me though (sorry, i'm making up words here, lol). i definitely think there are people in this world that are kind, gentle, loving, unselfish, etc. and have never read the bible and are not christian. and i also agree that you can claim to be a christian and never open it -- but imho to really understand christianity and what it teaches, you do need to have an understanding of what the bible says. i guess i just question if a christian has never really read the bible, how do you truly know what it says?

anyway. i voted for number 2, assuming i could only choose one. :)

:iagree: While I agree that it is very important to read the Bible, I find it much more important to try to live like Christ did. I firmly believe that actions speak louder than words and I believe it very possible to live a life for Christ and love him without having to read the Bible. People learn better by example than they do with words and even if my children never actually read the Bible I still believe they would love God and follow his teachings because my husband and I go to great lengths to ensure that they "see" what living a life for Christ looks like.

If asked to choose, like others have said, I would not know how to live like Jesus if I didn't read the Bible. When it comes to right behavior (acting like Jesus), there is only one place to get the answer: scripture.

For our children, we can find lots of sources to help them understand right behavior (I'm assuming here that the statement "living like Jesus" means behavior that is moral or "christian"- I could be reading this wrong). At the end of the day, however, what is the reason we treat others kindly, care for our neighbors, etc.? The purpose is found in scripture alone.

I would like to add that I agree that it is no good to read the Bible in an academic sense, but not truly hear and respond. Even non-believers can do that. We can trust that the Holy Spirit is working, through God's Word, to help us "live like Jesus".

If we're talking about people who have access to a Bible in their own language, I would say that both options are equally important. Knowledge must come with understanding, and lead to practical application.

But if a person either can't get hold of a Bible, and/or can't read, then obviously the second option is the only viable one.

The Holy Spirit, primarily, followed by mentors who are more spiritually mature.

Christianity isn't about The Bible, it's about Jesus. If someone can't read or doesn't have a Bible in his/her language, they can still walk with Christ and grow in their faith.

Thanks for all the responses.

I've been feeling frustrated with people lately who put so much emphasis on daily reading their Bibles, yet they repeatedly treat people poorly. This topic came up with some friends who swear having their kids attend church activities like Awana, etc. is making them better Christians.

I choose not to involve my dc in any type of church activity that puts memorizing Bible verses above teaching/modeling how to actually live like Jesus. I don't want our dc to be rewarded for simply memorizing scripture-that seems so pointless. I have asked myself if Jesus smiles more at the kids who are busy memorizing scripture. I just can't be convinced of that. Honestly, I don't even think people need to read the Bible to claim to be Christian. Don't get me wrong, I do think It's important, but not nearly as important as how I develop an intimate relationship with Christ and how I treat others-that is how I approach our faith with our dc.

Anyhoo, definitely rambled here!

:grouphug:

:grouphug: It's a thing of pride, I think, to seem as devout as you can. I know the churches I came from were very vocal about how we should be reading every day, and the guilt that ensued was horrific. Then you'd get the people that did, claiming that all of the success in thier lives was because they read it every day. Pride is a slippery thing.

Teach them to pray each day. Pray without ceasing. Praise, thanksgiving, contrition, petition.

Very much agree! It always seems funny to me when we talk so much about reading a book (albeit a very special book) when prayer is actual communing with God. I am on a path right now where I definitely try to do my prayers each day, but I haven't read the Bible for months (not that I don't get any Bible, our faith practice is full of the Scriptures). Knowing someone is talking with them, not reading about them.

Edited by milovanĂƒÂ½

No "other" option?

Teach them to pray each day. Pray without ceasing. Praise, thanksgiving, contrition, petition.

:iagree::iagree:

I'm not sure what "Living like Jesus" is supposed to mean - it sounds like a catchphrase for something, but I don't know the reference.....

Once you teach them to read, they can read the Bible on their own. It's a free book here in the U.S. and doesn't require any special "teaching" to be able to read it beyond basic literacy.

I would have voted "Other". I believe it is most important to teach them to pray and to have faith.

I disagree that reading the Bible is the *only* way to live like Jesus. I could use my dh as an example. He was not raised in a Christian home, but was raised by parents and grandparents who did live like Jesus. He was an atheist when we married and from the very beginning to this day, the way he lives is far, far closer to living like Jesus than 99% of Christians I know-including me. When I think of what I mean by "Live like Jesus" I think of serving others, not judging, showing compassion, treating others kindly, putting others first, forgiving, being patient and being generous. All of those describe my dh, his parents, and Grandparents.

I do think reading the Bible matures one in their walk with Christ and even deepens ones faith-that is certainly the case for me. But, I think "having" to read the Bible for the sake of doing it, treats Christianity as a check list.

I have more to say(not that it's important:lol:) but must school, work and attend a soccer game.

I used to be Buddhist, and I remember there was a Zen saying that went something like, "don't mistake the finger pointing at the moon for the moon itself". (That's a paraphrase, not a quote.) It strikes me that the finger is the Bible and the moon is Christ. The Bible is one of the things that points us towards Christ. The Bible teaches us about Him, and that is one step toward knowing Him.

The sacraments, baptism, the eucharist, repentance and confession, also help us to know Christ. Fasting teaches us to rely upon Him. Through alms-giving we come both to know and to emulate His love. And I can't even begin to verbalize the importance of prayer and the power it has to transform us and draw us closer to Him. I'm not sure that I could rank any one of these things as being more important than the others, so I'm awfully glad that I don't have to choose, but can have them ALL! :001_smile:

I voted to read their Bibles, but I also don't see it as either/or. It's "and". You do both. However, I voted as I did because I see a lot of people say, "Oh, I don't care about doctrine, I just want to be like Jesus" and I think that's wrong. You have to know what you believe and who Jesus truly was and you get that by reading Scripture. I know a lot of people who want to imitate Jesus because they believe He was a good man (He was), or He was an example for us all (He was), but they don't believe that He was the Son of God, sent for our Salvation. My children's Salvation is the most important, but I believe that Salvation and good works go hand-in-hand. People who are truly saved show the Fruits of the Spirit, which is is Christlike behaviour.

Man, I really think you need one to do the other. You can't live (REALLY LIVE) like Jesus unless you are in the Word, and it's pointless to be in the Word if you aren't going to heed its instructions (aka live).

For those who struggle with family devo's, it's really not that hard. Do it at breakfast when everyone is there. Since you eat breakfast everyday, you can stick to devotions every day. We order "Keys for Kids" which is free, read the scripture passage and read the story and talk about it. We sing some songs (hymns, kid bible songs and/or contemporary), and we talk about a country where Christians are persecuted (for the month of October it's Columbia) and we use VOM (Kids of courage) to get info, stories and activities. We than close by having each kid (even the 2 year old) pray for something specific for that country (the president, the church, the kids, missionaries, etc). The kids actually enjoy this routine and it might take about 20-30 minutes, but in the end, it's worth every minute. At lunch, we read a Proverb or Psalm.

As Christians, we need to make sure this is the most important part of our day, we need to make sure this gets done. In the end, it's really not going to matter how well they could read or do math, or how well they do in science, history, grammer, etc, but what their relationship with their Creator was and their impact on the world and family because of Him.