Menu

My hair is blue

I loved having blue hair! I hope you're happy...I couldn't quite tell. :001_huh:

I'm pretty easy-going about my hair, I think, but the thought of going into labor w/ an unnatural color of hair...let's just say I don't have a personality that could pull that off. They'd probably call someone to make sure the baby would be safe w/ me. :lol:

No. Not on purpose. I have trouble w/ hair coloring. Since blonde turned out garfield-through-the-sewer-orange & red turned out Very Pink, I thought I'd try black. :glare::lol:

I remember when you posted about turning your hair orange...

Apparently hair color is not your friend. :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug: Hopefully it will fade. Quickly.

No. Not on purpose. I have trouble w/ hair coloring. Since blonde turned out garfield-through-the-sewer-orange & red turned out Very Pink, I thought I'd try black. :glare::lol:

Well, you won't do that twice!

I say embrace it. You are hereby known at Punk Rock Pencil Pusher. You should go get a piercing.

I remember when you posted about turning your hair orange...

Apparently hair color is not your friend. :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug: Hopefully it will fade. Quickly.

I don't know...there's a chance I like it...

Figures, though. The "red" box was the same brand, $3, & lasted about 3 days.

Yep. Easy excuse...dry run for Halloween.

BTW, I'd almost kill for a navy blue hair mistake. The only time I ever made a mistake, I turned my hair clear. :001_huh: Imagine cellophane noodles coming out of your head. (my hair is wavy). Maybe that will make you feel better. :)

Yep. Easy excuse...dry run for Halloween.

BTW, I'd almost kill for a navy blue hair mistake. The only time I ever made a mistake, I turned my hair clear. :001_huh: Imagine cellophane noodles coming out of your head. (my hair is wavy). Maybe that will make you feel better. :)

Halloween would be a great excuse, except that the baby's due that day.

That's ok. I don't have much of a backbone. Maybe I'll have killer intimidating hair, & the nurses will be nice to me. :lol:

Dd16 wants to know what your *natural* color is.

Black won't stay ON your hair because you need to fill it first. All your hair is going to pick up is the undertones of the dyes. If you have blonde hair, it's like mixing red with white paint, it's only going to turn pink.

I have natural red undertones and when I use a box, all I ever end up with is red.

You can use Colorfix, Color Oops, or Color Zap. That will remove all the dye and leave your hair at whatever level of bleached it is. Then you can dye it with a brown (or whatever) dye.

THIS.

When dd31 was a junior in high school, she used manic panic and dyed her hair RASPBERRY! She is a natural platinum blonde. We had her use alot of VO5 hot oil treatment and sit in the sun with it on her head, then shampoo with Prell Shampoo. She had Owens-Corning Color Fiberglass Pink hair for a long time.

:glare:

Wait...you tried dying it when you're pregnant? That doesn't work. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that if you dye your hair when you're pregnant, or just after, that the different hormones/chemicals (whatever!) in you will mess up the dye.

See the last 2 lines of this little blurb.

Even though I knew the above, I tried dying my hair a subdued red shortly after giving birth, and it turned out fire engine RED, but only lasted a couple of days. (When it would normally last for many, many weeks.)

THIS.

When dd31 was a junior in high school, she used manic panic and dyed her hair RASPBERRY! She is a natural platinum blonde. We had her use alot of VO5 hot oil treatment and sit in the sun with it on her head, then shampoo with Prell Shampoo. She had Owens-Corning Color Fiberglass Pink hair for a long time.

:glare:

Up until last year I was using manic panic in my hair. It was magenta. I loved it! But dh not so much. I am a natural redhead and he never understood why I would dye my hair. I love unique colors, they are fun.

Anyhow I hope the OP enjoys her blue hair for as long as it stays.

Ok, only bits were (navy, not old lady) blue, & those worked out. Unfortunately, while the (now black) is coloring the leftover platinum just fine, it. still. won't. cover. the. roots. Which is how we got here in the first place.

Really, this is the best I've done. There are only patches of a strange reddish color around the front of my face. Most people (probably) wouldn't notice. My blue/brown ear is almost the right color now, too.

Unfortunately, now that it's pretty evenly black, well...my eyebrows & eyelashes are auburn. My skin tone has NO blue to it. I look like I'm wearing a wig. And it freaks me out every time I pass a mirror.

On a brighter note, it's fun to scare dh at the groc store. :lol:

Ok, only bits were (navy, not old lady) blue, & those worked out. Unfortunately, while the (now black) is coloring the leftover platinum just fine, it. still. won't. cover. the. roots. Which is how we got here in the first place.

Really, this is the best I've done. There are only patches of a strange reddish color around the front of my face. Most people (probably) wouldn't notice. My blue/brown ear is almost the right color now, too.

Unfortunately, now that it's pretty evenly black, well...my eyebrows & eyelashes are auburn. My skin tone has NO blue to it. I look like I'm wearing a wig. And it freaks me out every time I pass a mirror.

On a brighter note, it's fun to scare dh at the groc store. :lol:

Perhaps it's time to consider a pixie cut? :p

Wait...you tried dying it when you're pregnant? That doesn't work. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that if you dye your hair when you're pregnant, or just after, that the different hormones/chemicals (whatever!) in you will mess up the dye.

See the last 2 lines of this little blurb.

Even though I knew the above, I tried dying my hair a subdued red shortly after giving birth, and it turned out fire engine RED, but only lasted a couple of days. (When it would normally last for many, many weeks.)

This. And, I think it's time to scrap the idea of cheap drugstore hair colour. There are some people for whom that just. won't. ever. work. Sounds like you're one of them. Unless you are actually enjoying the surprise results, either let it grow out and embrace your natural colour, or get a professional colour next time.

This. And, I think it's time to scrap the idea of cheap drugstore hair colour. There are some people for whom that just. won't. ever. work. Sounds like you're one of them. Unless you are actually enjoying the surprise results, either let it grow out and embrace your natural colour, or get a professional colour next time.

I like my natural color. It's actually the reason I waited so much later in life to try color than my sis did.

At this point, the dye is for a) fun & b) to help transition the growing-out stages. Black probably wasn't the best choice for that, but I figured I wasn't likely to try it later. :D

I dyed my hair from orange (the bleach didn't quite get me to the blonde I was looking for) to black in high school...apparently it soaks into the follicles...I had to wait for the hair to grow out to get rid of it, it's a good thing I was 16 at the time! I hope that hasn't happened to you!!

Well are you having a boy? :D

I have a turquoise feather (which is a horrid name for these things bc they aren't feathers at all, just thin colors of "hair" you can clip in) and dh really likes it considerably. Says it brings out my eyes. The yellow, pink zebra stripe, and pale pink ones he cares much less for, though he says the pink zebra stripe one is flattering, just needs to not be next to the yellow one.

Never use drug store hair color. It's cruel to yourself and there are lass painful ways to add color to your life.:D

Nono, that's amazing. Do you have a picture. I'd love to see that.

I don't think so.

I can't even remember exactly what I was doing color-wise, but I do know that what I did was put a tight plastic bag on it to keep me neat so I could do some chores. That apparently was a really bad idea! :001_huh: I remember at 11 pm waking up my (then) husband saying I had to go out becauase I just ruined my hair and I went looking for a 24 hr drug store. I found an open supermarket first, so I bought what they had -- light ash blonde. I redid it that night.* My hairdresser laughed forever when I told her, because she said I was soooooo lucky the color took and didn't turn something not found in nature!

*I was young, probably 29 or 30. Now, heh, I'd have had it for a month before I changed it!

Skip the cheap color and just use kool aid next time. :D

My adult son actually colored their kitty a pinkish red. Yecht!

I bet you look SO punk.:tongue_smilie:

And you did know that hair color isn't good for your liver, didn't you?

It puts too much poison/chemicals into your body, honestly.

This is a friendly suggestion/public service announcement to take it easy on hair coloring.

If anyone else reading this has been dying their hair green or any variety of colors with no problems, cool, fine, don't dig a hole for me, I'm doing fine with that all by myself.:D

Edited by gingerh
too much information

I dyed my hair from orange (the bleach didn't quite get me to the blonde I was looking for) to black in high school...apparently it soaks into the follicles...I had to wait for the hair to grow out to get rid of it, it's a good thing I was 16 at the time! I hope that hasn't happened to you!!

Yeah, I *think* my stance twd teens dying their hair was pretty laid back before this, but now? Definitely get it out of your system before you want anyone to respect you. Well. Before there's a chance that they might. ;)

And you did know that hair color isn't good for your liver, didn't you?

It puts too much poison/chemicals into your body, honestly.

This is a friendly suggestion/public service announcement to take it easy on hair coloring when pregnant, nursing.

If anyone else reading this has been pregnant and nursing and dying their hair green or any variety of colors with no problems, cool, fine, don't dig a hole for me, I'm doing fine with that all by myself.:D

I've colored my hair...maybe twice before...all of this. It took so well that dh came home from work & couldn't tell I'd done anything. :glare:

STILL, though, I was nervous about coloring it, but...life...just needed a change. We control what we can control, right? I don't think I knew I was pg when I bought that first box.

Which I've been trying to fix ever since.

It's not like I'm vain. I lived w/ the fried-cat-in-the-gutter color until the week of bil's wedding, when it *had* to be fixed. Then I lived w/ those roots (2 weeks later! :svengo:) for several mos before slapping on the cheap $3 red dye. And that shade was SO conservative. I wanted to try black then, but ds begged me to get red. (He's a red-head.) I figured the red would take better on the blonde, & then I saw a BOGO sign, so I got them both.

Now my roots are so far down my head I look like one of those guys w/ his pants falling off, only it's my color falling down my head. I got to where I couldn't take it. Then I realized that if I colored my hair, it would look awful & I"d go into labor. And eventually, I realized it was like Oedipus' hamartia--it was inevitable. I could wait all I wanted to, but one day, I'd break down & dye my hair. And then go into labor.

So the best I could do was get it over w/ so I could stop thinking about it. :lol:

It's really not that bad now. My eyes range between green & blue, & this hair color brings out the blue. Which might be pretty if not for the auburn eyebrows, but that's not something you can't fix w/ a swipe of the mascara, you know? And really, my figure is so shocking, I don't think anyone is really paying attention to the color of my eyebrows. :lol:

It's a really pretty shade of black now. It's just obvious that it's not mine!