Menu

have groceries gotten really expensive?

Ridiculously so. When I have to go to the store to "pick up a few things" to fill in gaps or make a certain dish, I'm appalled at the total for a small basket. Fruits and vegies are crazy; milk and cheese is equally bad. Ice cream is astronomical. Everything has gone up. And though gas prices are decreasing, we never saw a decrease last time gas prices went back down.

Lisa

I've seen a big increase in meats, dairy, and prepared foods. Produce has stayed low and so have most scratch ingredients needed for baking. We do not buy much of anything that comes in a box or chips and such and that helps. But still, the grocery bill has definitely seen a jump.

The other thing that seems to be happening is I have less choice from poorly stocked shelves. UGH.

I feel so bad for people in our area. The unemployment rate is right aroun 20% in our county and the number of people who took a pay cut in order to hang onto their jobs is staggering. I don't know how they are supposed to keep their heads above water with winter heat bills coming and rising food costs.

Faith

Yes. I pretty much get the same things each week, rarely ever buy meat at the grocery store, make nearly everything from scratch (so no boxes, mixes, breads, etc), and what used to be $175 not even 2 years ago is now about $300. And it's really ticking me off. I can't find one single thing to cut back on, and I've tried. Thinking about going back to making my own butter again - even the cheap stuff is almost $4 per lb. :svengo:

First thing that happened was, they got smaller. i.e. a can of tuna used to be 6 oz; now it's 5 oz. Now they're ratcheting up the prices.

Your toilet paper now rattles back and forth on the holder like an abacus bead...it's now almost an inch narrower.

Paper towels are cut into "choose a size" lengths so they can claim more towels per roll...and they're so loosely wound on the roll, that you can literally pull the cardboard center out and slide it back in.

A "pound" of coffee is now what? Is there such a thing as gallon of bleach? Does anyone even know anymore?

It's by design, to keep the customer confused so he doesn't notice he's being charged more for less product.

Even cake mix, now!

Yes, they are. I haven't noticed any huge jumps, but there are enough small-medium increases across the board to make a noticeable impact on the total.

:iagree:

I used to be below $100/wk for groceries. Now we run around $120-$125. Part of it is because of having to buy food for the boys being in the house all day as opposed to at school, but not much of it...

You are. Twice in the past few years I've noticed the quantity go down and the price stay the same (chips are an example - the bags are now 10 oz, down from 12, down from 14 and 16, but the price is the same or more).

I just noticed this on Quaker Granola Bars this weekend--the box has had 10 bars for several years, but this weekend it was down to 8 bars for the same price.

Yes, definitely! I can recall the cheapest price for specific items and many are up a dollar or more from 1.5-2 years ago. That's some crazy inflation.

For example, I know that I used to be able to get a bottle of Juicy Juice on sale for $2 (2 for $4) and now ONE bottle is regularly priced at $4.09.

The Arnold white wheat bread that I like is $4.19 per loaf (!!) as opposed to $2.69 a year ago. Ugh.

I'm not opposed to buying generics, of course, and we're buying a lot more now, but when you're trying to avoid high sugar and HFCS, etc. it's an annoying compromise to make.

You are. Twice in the past few years I've noticed the quantity go down and the price stay the same (chips are an example - the bags are now 10 oz, down from 12, down from 14 and 16, but the price is the same or more).

And factor in that kids eat more as they get bigger. I am trying to feed 5 adults now, plus a fourth kid. It's a challenge.

You are not alone.

I don't buy a lot in the way of package/prepared stuff (maybe a bag of chips a week, a couple of frozen items for nights when my husband makes his own dinner, etc.). I used to be able to feed the four of us on $100 a week if I were really careful and cut out most of those extras. Now, I'm lucky if I stay under $150.

Now, understand that jump wasn't last week. It's been creeping up for the last three or so years. And our needs are different, since I now have two teens in the house and their friends here most weekends.

But it is frustrating that, even when I really try to cut to the bone, I can't get the bill down close to what it used to be.

Yes, we've had to up our food budget by about 20-25% to get the same amount of food. It's definitely noticeable.

The national news has recently stated that grocery prices have risen an average of 6%, but I don't think that's an accurate reflection. It seems higher to me. Your 20% sounds closer to what I'm seeing.

I've noticed huge leaps.

I could not believe that the ice cream we were getting for $4 is now $7. The coffee I used to buy - 12 oz whole beans - went from $4.69 to $6.99.

This is just in the last 3 or 4 months.

It's been getting worse and worse. I go grocery shopping at the military commisarry once or twice a month and really stock up. I used to be able to fill two grocery carts - all kinds of food, produce, meat, laundry detergent, cleaning supplies, etc. - for about $300-350 just two years ago. Now - I can't even consider buying as much, and one cart full of similar products cost $422.00 the last time I went shopping. Yes - I had to buy things like TP and laundry detergent, but still.....

I think so.

My big complaint the last few months is that everything seems to be at least $3.00. I can have just a little bit in my cart and already have spent as much as $50 or $60, and I still have a lot more to get.

We try to eat healthy, and I usually buy the same things every week unless I find something new to try. I know when I go that, unless we change the way we eat, I'll probably spend more than I really should. It's so frustrating.

I'm noticing the same thing at our Wal-Mart -- higher prices, small quantity, unstocked shelves. It's crazy!!

So, I've started shopping around and I can save $$ by shopping the sale flyers, couponing and hitting the bakery outlet store. (I got Arnold Seven Grain bread -- no HFC -- for $1/loaf last week.)

I'm also considering making a 1-hour trip once a month to the wholesale warehouse. They carry lots of grocery items at 1/2 off or less than a grocery store. The can might be dented, etc. and you have to bring bags/boxes but who cares?

And factor in that kids eat more as they get bigger. I am trying to feed 5 adults now, plus a fourth kid. It's a challenge.

This is what I'm struggling with right now too. My 2 older kids are almost as big as I am and not eating child sized portions anymore. My ds is going through a growth spurt or something, and eating more than he used to also.

Ridiculously so. When I have to go to the store to "pick up a few things" to fill in gaps or make a certain dish, I'm appalled at the total for a small basket. Fruits and vegies are crazy; milk and cheese is equally bad. Ice cream is astronomical. Everything has gone up. And though gas prices are decreasing, we never saw a decrease last time gas prices went back down.

Lisa

The problem right now is not JUST gas prices.

It is crop failure. Drought in Texas. Flooding in other agricultural areas. The failure of the peanut crop... Etc.

The devaluation of our dollar as well...

Two staples in our house that have risen to astronomical prices, but that we can't eat the generic brand of:

Honey Maid Graham Crackers $4.59

Hellman's Mayonnaise - almost $5 as well!

(and the mayo went from 32 oz to 30 oz as well.)

I catch those things on sale and buy over and over again and keep them in the basement. Best price I've found for either of them in the last 6 months is $2.50.

I've been known to buy the limit, bring it to the car, and come back in for more several times if it's on sale.

Guest IdahoMtnMom

I have gone from about $400 per month to about $700 per month since January... and that includes NOT buying pull-up's/diapers and wipes any more! And I feel like I am cutting back, too... we don't buy any packaged foods and the only canned ones we buy are no salt added tomatoes, tomato paste, corn, peas, or french green beans. I make all my own salad dressings and bbq sauces and try and really watch what we buy and that nothing goes to waste. The biggest thing I see that has gone up is DD's rice milk. It went from $2.19 a box to $3.99 in a matter or 3 or 4 months.

Yes! I was appalled at the increase in our grocery bill each month and I even cook once a month to save money and coupon big time!

Just to go to Aldi's and grab simple salad ingredients my total was still nearly $20. Sounds like a good deal but for some spinach, croutons and shredded cheese. A few years ago that would've cost me just a hair over $10. Now it's double!

I still coupon and cook once a month...because now we HAVE to. Before I did it to save us money and actually ENJOYED couponing, finding deals, getting things on sale and stocking up and cooking once a month to save time and money and give me an excuse to be in my apron all day...but now it's a way of life that we HAVE to do in order to afford to feed our family and afford our life we've built. It's stressful! I'm so thankful that I learned the way of couponing and cooking once a month because otherwise I'd feel like I was failing in the department of being a homemaker to the best.

Our grocery bill just a year ago was almost HALF of what it is now. And the only thing we've changed was cooking once a month which actually saves us over $150 on our grocery bill! I can't imagine our bill if I didn't do the OAMC.

Edited by mamaofblessings

I've noticed huge leaps.

I could not believe that the ice cream we were getting for $4 is now $7. The coffee I used to buy - 12 oz whole beans - went from $4.69 to $6.99.

This is just in the last 3 or 4 months.

Wow! I've seen increases but not like that! Must be regional. In the past week or two, I've paid right at $3/almost a gallon of Breyers, 12 oz whole beans (Trader Joes) brand for $5, whole wheat sandwich bread (Sara Lee) for $2.19, and a gallon of milk for $2.99. I've seen increases in produce, meats and cheese. Food budget has increased about 20% over the past three years, but part of that is the increased amount of produce, organics, and such that we're buying. More shellfish, less red meat.

*snip*

The other thing that seems to be happening is I have less choice from poorly stocked shelves. UGH.

*snip*

Faith

Yup, here, too. Target has been out of the tuna I want for over FOUR weeks now! The same tuna is $.04 cheaper at Wal-Mart, but I refuse to go there because they are always out of stuff and it's much farther away, so when I figure in time & gas, it's not a 'deal' even if they have it. The same can of tuna at Publix is $.30 MORE, so I had to break down and spend the extra money for two cans. I did not buy extras.

First thing that happened was, they got smaller. i.e. a can of tuna used to be 6 oz; now it's 5 oz. Now they're ratcheting up the prices.

Your toilet paper now rattles back and forth on the holder like an abacus bead...it's now almost an inch narrower.

Paper towels are cut into "choose a size" lengths so they can claim more towels per roll...and they're so loosely wound on the roll, that you can literally pull the cardboard center out and slide it back in.

A "pound" of coffee is now what? Is there such a thing as gallon of bleach? Does anyone even know anymore?

It's by design, to keep the customer confused so he doesn't notice he's being charged more for less product.

Even cake mix, now!

Laura and Karen, this bugs me. I bought a bag of chips a few weeks ago on 'sale' for $3.50, opened it and saw an amount that would serve three of us one time. I haven't bought chips since and refuse to. I was mad that the amount has been reduced so much AND I was mad at myself for not checking.

I just noticed this on Quaker Granola Bars this weekend--the box has had 10 bars for several years, but this weekend it was down to 8 bars for the same price.

Dh bought some granola bars and found that in two bites he had finished the bar. He won't be buying them again.

I also stopped buying GS cookies... fewer cookies & more money for an already expensive box.

Prices are definitely up and in some cases, as much as double! I needed cream cheese last week and about fell over when two boxes cost me nearly $4! I used to regularly pick up cream cheese for $1-1.25/box. Prices last week, on store-brand, were $1.98.

There are several holiday recipes I won't be making this year unless there are some wonderful sales!! I need chocolate (bars reduced in size so I need an extra bar for just a bit of the chocolate... then what do I do with the left over bar?) and cream cheese--- I just won't be spending that kind of money!

The national news has recently stated that grocery prices have risen an average of 6%, but I don't think that's an accurate reflection. It seems higher to me. Your 20% sounds closer to what I'm seeing.

I seem to recall (it has been YEARS since I studied this!) that only certain consumer items are considered when talking about inflation. In addition, I have a faint memory that in recent years TPTB changed some of those items when inflation started to take hold, so it has been altered to make it *seem* as if inflation isn't as bad as it really is. As if pretending the problem isn't there will make people think they are just imaging things!

What I don't understand is if I am no longer buying chips, ice cream, packaged cookies, etc, why am I not losing weight? :tongue_smilie:

I almost cried when I looked at coffee the other day. Dark Roast great Value brand 7.28. I used to pay 6 something for Maxwell House, it is now 10.00.

Everything has gone up. It's disheartening.

I have noticed our Walmart is carrying more regional brands. They were considerably cheaper and had actual ingredients, not a chemical list. Chips were .98 and fig bars were .98. My hope is that they will start to carry more brands like this. Either that or we will drink coffee and eat oatmeal.

I'm not going to complain after all! While grocery prices have gone up a bit here, what those of you on the coasts are paying is :001_huh::001_huh::001_huh:!

Someone said $6.00 for a bag of shredded mozzarella or cheddar. I'm assuming that's the standard 8 oz. size and that has gone up to $2.98 here for the off brand and $3.48 to $4.12 for name brands. But, it goes on sale at Walmart for $2.48.

If you live away from a metropolitan area and anywhere near an agricultural region of your state, find out if there is a Mennonite or Amish grocery store near you. I do the bulk of my shopping at a Mennonite Bulk Food Store. I pay $4.29 - 4.79 for a lb. of grated cheese and just under $4.00 if I am willing to grate it myself. I get feta cheese and parmesan in a similar price. $1.39 for an 8 oz. package of cream cheese, $2.69 a lb. for butter, $3.99 for five lbs of good quality apples, $.29 lb. for bananas or $.49 per lb. for organic bananas.

Baking ingredients are really, really cheap as is most of the produce and the dried beans. Even condiments, 100% pure maple syrup, peanut butter, etc. is cheaper than Walmart. They don't carry a lot of meats, but they do have sausage links, bacon, and nitrate free lunch meats and it's 25% cheaper than Walmart.

I am back to making my own bread which makes everyone very happy except me who has enough to do without that, but with three growing males in the house who eat like dh makes Donald Trump money, it is necessary.

Faith

Prices are definitely up and in some cases, as much as double! I needed cream cheese last week and about fell over when two boxes cost me nearly $4! I used to regularly pick up cream cheese for $1-1.25/box. Prices last week, on store-brand, were $1.98.

And yet, there are cream cheese companies that haven't been able to sell their cheeses and have tossed out over a million dollars in blocks last year.

For a while I was challenging myself to keep the same grocery budget, but I just couldn't do it anymore. I ended up adding $10 a week to our budget. Dh gets paid bi-weekly and I go get grocery cash every payday. By using cash I've really been able to see how far (or not) our grocery dollar goes.

Ice cream is astronomical.

Ice cream has long been our indulgence, but it's ridiculous now. I only buy it when it's on sale and then I try to find coupons to go with the sale.

I've seen a big increase in meats, dairy, and prepared foods. Produce has stayed low and so have most scratch ingredients needed for baking.

Not here. Produce and staples have gone up as much as everything else.

Or use Aldi if it's nearby...but even there, butter is $2.49!

Yes, even Aldi prices are increasing, though they're still mostly the best in town (they can't beat a Publix B1G1 sale with coupons).

And factor in that kids eat more as they get bigger.

I am amazed at how much a 14 year old boy can eat. And I shouldn't be, because we've already been through this once before with dss. I used be able to make a certain amount and count on leftovers for lunch. Not anymore.

I have noticed our Walmart is carrying more regional brands.

Our Walmart carries local produce. That surprised me. It's a big agriculture company, not a small family farm, but it IS local.

And yet, there are cream cheese companies that haven't been able to sell their cheeses and have tossed out over a million dollars in blocks last year.

OK! Now that's sinful! Wouldn't have been better to lower the price and get SOME $$ vs. none? Or can they somehow 'write off' that on their taxes or something?:confused:

...in recent years TPTB changed some of those items when inflation started to take hold, so it has been altered to make it *seem* as if inflation isn't as bad as it really is. As if pretending the problem isn't there will make people think they are just imaging things!...

I'm not certain if it's what you're referring to, but when they talk about "headline inflation" and "core inflation", the one that matters is "core"...because they take out food and fuel. ("Because they skew the data due to their volatility.")

The most important and punishing effects of inflation hit us, the man on the street...not the economists (ahem, Bernanke!) who are complaining that inflation isn't high enough.

We're in for more, too, so anytime I see a good sale, I clear the shelves.

OK! Now that's sinful! Wouldn't have been better to lower the price and get SOME $$ vs. none? Or can they somehow 'write off' that on their taxes or something?:confused:

Not sure if it's the case in this instance, but some farms are paid by the federal government NOT to produce...for "Price stabilization" or somesuch.

I remember seeing on a documentary once, barrels and barrels of live baby chicks being dumped in a dumpster because chicken had gotten too inexpensive...

Probably a tax writeoff would be my guess. It's a shame they didn't donate it to the local food pantry and use it as a charitable write off. Yes, I saw it as sinful also.

Or use Aldi if it's nearby...but even there, butter is $2.49!

I wonder if buying butter in bulk from a dairy would be cheaper. I bought a huge box of butter from a local dairy that was closing its doors, sadly. I carved out roughly one-pound chunks and froze them.

I use coconut oil mostly now in place of butter. I'm not sure how the price compares.