Menu

Oh the classic Old-Lady-in-the-Checkout-Line happened to us today.

:rolleyes: We're at Walmart today, the boys have had their haircut and...well, yeah, we pretty much skipped schooled today, except for a bit of math before the hair cuts. So, the lady behind us in line had the typical, "What? You boys are out of school today?" I didn't step in to clear up her misconceptions. Plus, I really didn't feel like talking about homeschooling. So I said, "That's right, we just skipped school today." Then, setting a great example for homeschooled children everywhere, my 6yods piped up, "Yeah, school is poopy." :eek: So, the lady ignores me completely and gives her best school pep-talk to my young, misguided, truant children, urging them to value school, so they can grow up to be fireman, policemen and computer operators. :lol:

I can only imagine what she's saying at Bingo right now. :D

This has been my recent strategy as well. FWIW, my kids also say the darnedest things when asked about these matters.

i.e.

Nosy Nelly: "What book have you read lately, little truant boy?"

Bibliophile: "None."

:rolleyes:

:lol::lol:

Ds made it worse after she said he could grow up to be a computer operator, because then he said, "Yeah! Then I could play video games ALL DAY!"

Ds made it worse after she said he could grow up to be a computer operator, because then he said, "Yeah! Then I could play video games ALL DAY!"

:D

And I'm at the point where I wouldn't even try to qualify that. I just smile and carry on. Let those people think whatever they want.

(FTR I have one neighbor who always has something negative to say and frankly, I don't even try to enlighten her worldview)

My DS (he was 12 at the time) told the hair dresser he didn't go to school because we belonged to a cult:eek:. I didn't realize this and grinned away happily while she cut his hair. She finally asked me about it at the end. I said no we just homeschool. I guess after the cult comment she was too shocked to sy much.

My DS (he was 12 at the time) told the hair dresser he didn't go to school because we belonged to a cult:eek:. I didn't realize this and grinned away happily while she cut his hair. She finally asked me about it at the end. I said no we just homeschool. I guess after the cult comment she was too shocked to sy much.

:lol:

I told my older son that I really wish he would tell people he is out of school now; he's a prodigy and is in college. He seemed to embrace this idea belatedly, but younger ds will probably spoil it with his remarks if 11yo ever used it. ;)

This reminds me of one of the negative home schooling comments I once received. I rarely mention that I home school, so it typically has not come up with strangers.

Several years ago I was going to a doctor regarding stomach issues. Because he wanted to rule out stress-related causes, he asked me about my day-to-day life. I mentioned that I home school my four kids. He quickly said, "You home school? Are you a religious fanatic?"

I waited some time to make the silence uncomfortable. Then I quietly and calmly said, "No." He then tried to joke, and I ignored him. He moved onto other medical questions which I answered in an calm but aloof manner.

When the nurse came in, he tried to lighten the mood by saying, "I just said something rude to her that I should've said." I also ignored this.

Then he told me he'd used the internet to find materials for his son's science fair project. He asked me if I ever used the internet to find school materials. (Another dumb question. Who doesn't use the internet these days?) I paused and answered, "Yes."

By the end of the appointment, this arrogant, rude doctor had become contrite because he seemed to realize he had spoken rashly. I was not about to educate him with home schooling facts or prove that I was a good little home schooler. People like this are confused with facts as they hold onto their tightly-held opinions. I just let him slowly come to the conclusion that he'd spoken foolishly. While I did not change his mind on homeschooling, hopefully he'll be more careful in speaking to other home schoolers in the future.

This experience showed me that quiet, simple answers can be more powerful that long-winded explanations. His mind would not have been changed. He tried to take the power in that conversation, and I ended up taking it from him.

It was sweet.

This reminds me of one of the negative home schooling comments I once received. I rarely mention that I home school, so it typically has not come up with strangers.

Several years ago I was going to a doctor regarding stomach issues. Because he wanted to rule out stress-related causes, he asked me about my day-to-day life. I mentioned that I home school my four kids. He quickly said, "You home school? Are you a religious fanatic?"

I waited some time to make the silence uncomfortable. Then I quietly and calmly said, "No." He then tried to joke, and I ignored him. He moved onto other medical questions which I answered in an calm but aloof manner.

When the nurse came in, he tried to lighten the mood by saying, "I just said something rude to her that I should've said." I also ignored this.

Then he told me he'd used the internet to find materials for his son's science fair project. He asked me if I ever used the internet to find school materials. (Another dumb question. Who doesn't use the internet these days?) I paused and answered, "Yes."

By the end of the appointment, this arrogant, rude doctor had become contrite because he seemed to realize he had spoken rashly. I was not about to educate him with home schooling facts or prove that I was a good little home schooler. People like this are confused with facts as they hold onto their tightly-held opinions. I just let him slowly come to the conclusion that he'd spoken foolishly. While I did not change his mind on homeschooling, hopefully he'll be more careful in speaking to other home schoolers in the future.

This experience showed me that quiet, simple answers can be more powerful that long-winded explanations. His mind would not have been changed. He tried to take the power in that conversation, and I ended up taking it from him.

It was sweet.

Cool story! (What a dorky doctor!) You are so right. "A soft answer turns away wrath." It's so nice when it works out this way.

It was sweet.

I learned this to be true also, but not through a negative experience. Just that I noticed people try to ask you questions about homeschool but they don't really care about the answer. I can see their brain shut off when I give them an answer that has more than a couple words

My older son had to come in town yesterday to try on a coat to have it altered, so we met him for lunch. Our waiter did the oft-asked, "Don't you guys have school today?"

Funny, because I tend to think now that my older son (who now has a neck size of 17 and wears a 42 Long coat) doesn't look the least bit like a high schooler any more....

I responded with my usual, "Yes, they have school. We are eating lunch...."

It was sweet.

I'd've been tempted to gently take his hand, look searchingly into his face, and say "Do you have a relationship with our Lord and Saviour? Can I tell you about Him?" Then whip out my iphone and start reading Bible quotes.:lol:

It'd be even better if you made up a fake god name - bigggity boo or something, starting spouting off bizarre customs and made up quotes, and searched through your purse as though for a leaflet.:D

serve him right.

Oh my god! I took my son to the doctor. She asked him something about, "How do you like learning at home with your mom?" and he made this ugly face and refused to say anything!

I told him that's when he's supposed to say something like, "It's great! I have the best teacher in the world!" but he insists that it's a stupid question so he won't answer it.

I'd've been tempted to gently take his hand, look searchingly into his face, and say "Do you have a relationship with our Lord and Saviour? Can I tell you about Him?" Then whip out my iphone and start reading Bible quotes.:lol:

It'd be even better if you made up a fake god name - bigggity boo or something, starting spouting off bizarre customs and made up quotes, and searched through your purse as though for a leaflet.:D

serve him right.

:lol: Ha! I prefer the later weird cult one better. Oh my Bob, that would be hilarious! :D Just memorize some of the stuff off the label of Dr. Bronner's soap. Start spouting "All-One-God-Love" at him. :lol:

That's hilarious!!!

This is why I teach my dc the Greek alphabet. We don't actually know Greek, but my 5yo is stinkin' cute singing "alpha beta gamma...." and by the time he's stolen the show I've thought up something else to say. People are less likely to be rude to a 5yo singing. I don't know what I'll do when he gets bigger.

It was sweet.

You are amazing!:hurray:

Just memorize some of the stuff off the label of Dr. Bronner's soap. Start spouting "All-One-God-Love" at him. :lol:

She's probably saying you smelled of likker, and the children looked as though they had different fathers.

:lol::lol::lol:

...must...wear...my....piddle pads....(runs to the bathroom laughing)

Gee, when some nosey "young" woman told my then 6yo daughter she could grow up to be an airline pilot, she literally burst into tears. which meant I then had to stop what I was doing, and take care of her. "I want to be a mommy". (she starts pharmacy school next week.)

I really wish people would back off. these are the same type who think 5yo girls need a "boyfriend".

My kid is only in pre-K, but she started a very serious conversation with me a while back. Seems that in her opinion, it is not necessary to go to school past age 8. (She'd given this a lot of thought.) She would rather get married and set up housekeeping early than go to college. I did point out that princesses go to college, so she needed to take that into consideration in her career planning.

So it would probably be interesting to hear what she would say to a busybody who started up about her distant future.

People are funny. Many months ago, when my kid had just turned 4, she & I both got the evil eye because she didn't yet know all about the coins in her little purse. Apparently she should have learned that in school - at age 3? She's not tall for her age or anything.

Oh my god! I took my son to the doctor. She asked him something about, "How do you like learning at home with your mom?" and he made this ugly face and refused to say anything!

I told him that's when he's supposed to say something like, "It's great! I have the best teacher in the world!" but he insists that it's a stupid question so he won't answer it.

This is my son, also! He comes across as totally hating homeschooling when in fact he loves it. I guess it really doesn't matter what people think but I'd prefer him to rave about it.

Yesterday, we got the question from an older gentleman. He asked the girls why they all weren't in school. They, of course, said, "We homeschool." The kind man tried to think of any way to relate and came up with, "Tim Tebow was homeschooled and he did well. I guess it could turn out well for you too." :)

Your ds is funny:lol:.

:rolleyes: We're at Walmart today, the boys have had their haircut and...well, yeah, we pretty much skipped schooled today, except for a bit of math before the hair cuts. So, the lady behind us in line had the typical, "What? You boys are out of school today?" I didn't step in to clear up her misconceptions. Plus, I really didn't feel like talking about homeschooling. So I said, "That's right, we just skipped school today." Then, setting a great example for homeschooled children everywhere, my 6yods piped up, "Yeah, school is poopy." :eek: So, the lady ignores me completely and gives her best school pep-talk to my young, misguided, truant children, urging them to value school, so they can grow up to be fireman, policemen and computer operators. :lol:

I can only imagine what she's saying at Bingo right now. :D

My daughter and I were running errands yesterday and a lady at the bank asked her "what, no school today?" and my 11 year old daughter very nonchalently answered "homeschooled" and the lady nodded back wisely and said "lucky you, smart mom". :D

This is how most of our interactions with the public goes.

It was sweet.

You are my hero.

That is all. :D