Menu

Why do you put what you do in your signature line?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because sometimes folks will say "I need help with math" and leave it at that. Or "I need help with my kids" and leave it at that. So someone has to come along and ask, "What kind of math are you doing?" or "How old, boy or gilr?" Then there are those that participate in Wordless Wednesday and/or Weekly Reports. It make it easy to check their blogs if there is a link in their siggy.

The Peter quote is just so applicable to every single religion thread this board has ever had. I couldn't resist it.

I felt it necessary to define who the CH was in my posts.

I'm a big Prisoner fan.

My curricula doesn't make sense to me; it certainly wouldn't make sense to anyone else - why bother writing it down?

:auto:

My signature....

Karen
my name. I've never had a pseudonym. I have enough trouble just keeping track of me

ds 21 - home school graduate finishing his last year at a university in Tokyo
My oldest. Really proud of him. And I graduated him from homeschool and didn't ruin his life. It reassures me that I might not ruin the rest of my kids
dd10 and dd6
I have two more kids in case someone wants to give me advise which I won't take anyway

I made really good plans this year, someone should look at them

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.” Albert Einstein
this is my educational inspiration.

This is my blog, in case you want to see what a real homeschool is like :D or find the funny picture my kids took of my hubby when he fell asleep while he was supposed to be playing with them, or my weekly report where I try to keep track of what I do so that next year I won't feel so bad about how much I'm not getting done

Edited by Karen in CO

I like to see other posters' signatures. It helps me to see some basic info like kid's ages and I love to see which curriculum they use. This is helpful if I'm considering a particular curriculum because I can see what things they are using it with etc. It's also helpful to see the number of children when they post advice about something. How we did things when I only had 1 child was quite different from now. Seeing that a poster has 10 children helps me see why they might do xyz.

sometimes it helps to know what ages and grade levels a poster is doing at home. In the case of a question, it can help answer them knowing the ages of their kids, sometimes in the case of an answer, it can help you take something with a grain of salt if the person answering has all young kids or all older kids and maybe doesn't really "get" where you are at...

then there is the curricula junkie answer, many of us are guilty of looking for the next best thing, so we are nosy about what everyone else is using just in case there is something better out there we do not know about...

:D

my siggy is out of date...need to fix it.

For some, it can help them find others using the same curriculum.

This is one reason.

Also, when I read a post that seems spot-on to me about how to approach some aspect of homeschooling, I find myself looking down at the sig. I figure if the poster has such good ideas about some things (i.e. agrees with me :lol:), then I might get some good ideas from their curriculum list too.

ETA: Or, if they describe a child who seems a lot like mine, I look to see what they're using to compare to what we're doing.

I don't have anything in my sig. Reason? Laziness.

I'm not really clear on why folks are listing out in their signatures the way they do with curriculum types and such.

What are some of the reasons the tradition is here?

I have weak assumptions but that's all they are. Can you help me out?

If I just said my kids were enrolled in public school, it wouldn't begin to describe the arrangement we have (and wouldn't give my advice much credibility). Half of my dd's courses are independent study selected by me, and I supplement my son's schooling. I couldn't fit into my siggy that my husband actually teaches both my kids at school. I should revise it.

It gives context to advice given on this board. I wouldn't read more into it than that.

Also, when I read a post that seems spot-on to me about how to approach some aspect of homeschooling, I find myself looking down at the sig. I figure if the poster has such good ideas about some things (i.e. agrees with me :lol:), then I might get some good ideas from their curriculum list too.

ETA: Or, if they describe a child who seems a lot like mine, I look to see what they're using to compare to what we're doing.

Yes, both of these. Signatures can also be helpful for gauging whether someone's approach is similar enough to mine to be relevant. For example, I'm not likely to take science or history recommendations from someone whose curriculum list shows that they favor fundamentalist Christian materials. Or I might be more inclined to heed someone's thoughts about the age-appropriateness of certain books if I see that they also have a young child reading above grade level.

I'm not really clear on why folks are listing out in their signatures the way they do with curriculum types and such.

I do it because my curriculum choices completely identify who I am as a human being on this earth.

:tongue_smilie:

I do it for all the reasons everyone else does.

Also, it's possible for those of us with signatures to have assumptions of their own about people who don't. ;)

I put my kids' ages in my siggy because it seems to help me when I see how old other people's kids are when they ask and answer posts. I love to read other homeschool blogs so I stick mine in just in case anyone wants to check mine out.

I don't put my curriculum. Two of mine are in PS now and the 3rd's curriculum is so bits and pieced together that it would take too long to explain it all and I don't really know that anyone cares. :lol:

Yeah a few times I attempted to list my curricula and I just couldn't nail it down. :lol:

:iagree: Me too. I actually do find it interesting and helpful to see what other people are using/doing in the context of their replies. I tried to list ours at one point, but it was overwhelming. I can list a few things like MCT, Singapore, AoPS, SOTW. But we use so many other resources and we tend to use things loosely. I use SOTW more as a reference than a core of our homeschool. My kid does a bunch more writing than the exercises in MCT. It just felt kind of meaningless and limiting to try and type out what we use.

For some, it can help them find others using the same curriculum.

:iagree: I used to put our curriculum, but now there is too much, sorry. If someone wants to know, then I will tell them.

Because sometimes folks will say "I need help with math" and leave it at that. Or "I need help with my kids" and leave it at that. So someone has to come along and ask, "What kind of math are you doing?" or "How old, boy or gilr?" Then there are those that participate in Wordless Wednesday and/or Weekly Reports. It make it easy to check their blogs if there is a link in their siggy.

:iagree: I hate when people say, "my son is driving me crazy doing x," people offer suggestions, realize son is 3 and say, "oh, that's normal 3 y/o stuff, let it go."

I do it because my curriculum choices completely identify who I am as a human being on this earth.

:lol:

Also, it's possible for those of us with signatures to have assumptions of their own about people who don't. ;)

It's true.

My avatar, that is me with a Mike's, sitting at my desk in Hawaii.

My sig:

"I'm having the kind of day that would make St. Francis of Assisi kick babies." -Douglas Adams

I love this quote. It makes me feel better.

Army wife of 16+ years

Eldest DD (15), Middle DD (13), DS (10)

A few pertinent facts about me and my kids.

A kitten dies every time you use an apostrophe to pluralize.

Because I really wish people would learn to use apostrophes. It vexes me that people don't bother. If they clicked on the link (embedded in the word apostrophe), then they would find simple instructions on how to use apostrophes correctly.

On the stuff we use:

Peer pressure - Everyone else seems to do it. :D I'm only half joking on that.

Pride - I'm finally getting more rigorous and using some really excellent stuff that's working well for us.

Because it helped me - When I saw what some others used in their sigs it gave me new programs to research and ask about so I thought it might help others to see what my kids use.

On my blog link: because I like to look at others and judging by my traffic tracking lots like to check out mine.

On the organization link: Because it helped a lot when I first posted it so I thought I'd keep it as a permanent feature of my sig to refer folks to.

On my former name: Because some folks knew me by that although by now I can probably get rid of that bit.

Edited by WishboneDawn

I did it because I was a newbie, and I thought it was part of the culture.

I find it helpful that others do it. People post about interesting things that they're doing or that they're kids are interested in, and I often think, "I wonder what [subject] curriculum they use." I wonder the same when people post reviews of curriculums.

The reason I list ages of my kids and curricula is because it puts my replies into context. The reader can see if I have kids the same age, or older and hence can share my own experience; she can see what my kids work on and get a sense of where we are coming from.

This avoids unnecessary questions "how old are YOUR kids?" or "what math program do YOU use?" when I comment on a specific subject issue.

Seeing what curricula a person uses gives me a rough idea of their schooling philosophies and academic goals.

Many questions that folks have are curriculum related. Rather than repeat myself constantly, I like the ages and genders of my kids and the curriculum we are using. That way, other folks with simillar aged kids can perhaps gain some insight. I appreciate seeing the ages and curriculum lists on other people's siggies because it helps give me ideas for my own kids.

For me, it has absolutely nothing to do with bravado or comparison to others, either positive or negative, if that is one of your assumptions.

Because it's helpful to know what other homeschoolers are using and/or the ages of their kid(s) when they answer/ask questions.

Yep. It gives context to answers and questions. I never had mine listed until this past year, when I realized how helpful it was to see for others. (I especially appreciate ages of dc listed.) I can't fit it all, but I can give people an idea of what kinds of things we do.

We have a serious problem with troll infestations on this board.

Hmmmm..... this statement has me thinking........maybe I need to add a signature and other relevant info. Now I'm wondering if anyone here ever thought I was/am a troll! :confused: Yikes!

I was thinking that adding a lot of info might cause people to make assumptions that aren't true.

Shannon

Hmmmm..... this statement has me thinking........maybe I need to add a signature and other relevant info. Now I'm wondering if anyone here ever thought I was/am a troll! :confused: Yikes!

I was thinking that adding a lot of info might cause people to make assumptions that aren't true.

Shannon

:lol: No, you've been vetted. You're cleared. :D

One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned is that the more information there is in the avatar, signature, etc., the easier it is to remember who is who.

I never really had a desire to list the curriculum I use and it's not that common for me to read through the curriculum lists of others. It's not an important point to me and, TBH, half the time I don't know what the acronyms stand for, unless it's one I've used before.

I do love ages and genders of children. It helps me get a reference point on who the person is and what I can expect of their experience and thought processes.

I love witty quotes and I've used blog links to learn more about different posters.

The strangest thing I've seen in signatures (and I haven't seen it here in a long time, so hopefully, there won't be offense taken) is when people list their kids by all their special needs and defects. I'm completely serious. I've seen a few signatures that looked like this:

ds 11 - Aspie, allergic to wheat, casein, nuts, pickles and coconuts

dd 9 - Asthmatic; on Feingold diet and magnetic therapy

dd 7 - ADHD, ODD; allergic to dish soap, cats, mold and popcorn

ds 4 - OCD and agoraphobic; brushing therapy 3x week; also on Feingold

and me! Homeschooling through Fibromyalgia, Hayfever and Hypochondria!

:001_huh:

To me the biggest reason for an avatar and signature (of any kind) is that it makes your "face" on the board. I don't remember board names as quickly and well as I remember your signature and avatar. I think those two things (or at least one of them) really sets your identity here.

I choose a picture of myself because I wanted to. I choose to like ages and curriculum because it's another way to "see" who we all are. As others have said, seeing your curriculum or at least ages of children helps me try to understand better where you might be coming from.

Yes? :)

:lol: No, you've been vetted. You're cleared. :D

:iagree::lol:

One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned is that the more information there is in the avatar, signature, etc., the easier it is to remember who is who.

Good point.

I think as far as curriculum goes? It would more more useful to have a sticky thread that there is no time limit for editing (can this happen on a single thread? I don't know) for people to post their favorite curricula for different ages.

Example: My favorites for first grade=Math U See; Sing, Spell, Read and Write; First Language Lessons; science as described in TWTM; Spelling Workout; Zaner Bloser Handwriting

When you look at ages and know someone has homeschooled all along, then it might more more useful coming from someone who has put a few (or several) kids through first grade than from someone planning their kid's first grade year for next year, kwim?

That's your actual real photograph? Gosh you are so elegant! I'd had mine once upon a time to our family journal, then I felt the need to think twice about that here.

My only preconception here was that certain styles of texts were being used by different families to meet their needs as secular vs. not. or classical vs. deeper specializations or situations.

ps: We just had an earthquake, that was pretty awesome. :)

I'm reminded of Sneetches.

I like to see the ages of people's kids and what kinds of programs they use. It provides good context and also helps me remember who is who. I figure if it's helpful for me for others to do it, I should offer people the same help.

That's your actual real photograph? Gosh you are so elegant! I'd had mine once upon a time to our family journal, then I felt the need to think twice about that here.

My only preconception here was that certain styles of texts were being used by different families to meet their needs as secular vs. not. or classical vs. deeper specializations or situations.

ps: We just had an earthquake, that was pretty awesome. :)

Ok....well....I haven't ever experienced an earthquake but I'd be amazed it would be described as awesome! LOL I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

I do it so that people will know where I am coming from when I recommend something, or not. They'll see my general style, and know if that might be a good fit for them. You can (no longer) assume that everyone here is a classical homeschooler. Personally, I find it really helpful when others post their curricula in their siggys.

Heck, I think it'd be GREAT if we could all list our entire hs'ing history in there (how long, which curricula for how long, reviews, etc.) but I guess that'd be a bit wordy, lol. I often feel the need to tell folks my experience with a curricula when advising . . . I.e, I advise SM & Miquon together for K-2/3, but I want folks to know that I used that combo with 3 kids for their entire math . . . etc . . . so they know that I sorta' know what I am talking about, as opposed to someone who's read about it and used it for 6 weeks. :) Likewise, when I speak about something new to me, I try to disclose that, "well, I love this, but I've been using it for 4 weeks!"

I wanted 'something' up to give people a visual because I returned after taking YEARS off and even I couldn't remember who I was before :-) I wanted some sort of personality without divulging too much personal information . . . something memorable that wasn't a security nightmare. Sure, you can piece together my personal facts, but I don't want to make it too easy (or serious).

It's hypocritical really, because I do find the personal siggys interesting and useful, but I have old military COMSEC "issues" and I'm probably scarred for life.