Menu

dog bite dilemma...what would you do after your dog bit a friend?

If your dog bit a friend, what would your response be? The friend knows the dog very well -- they've been going on walks together for years. The bite was bad -- a trip to the ER, 8 stitches, huge,painful bruise on your friend's arm that lasted for weeks.

Would you let other friends know about this? Would you continue to allow children and other strangers to pet the dog?

This is not my dog. My friend is the one who was bitten. The dog owner asked her to keep quiet about the bite, and she has mixed feelings about hushing it up.

I know there are lots of dog lovers on this board, so I thought I'd ask here. I'm not a dog person at all, so I don't know the protocol about this sort of thing.

Is the dog getting older? If my dog suddenly bite someone it previously was very comfortable with I would be worried there was something wrong with the dog. I would take it to a vet and get their opinion. That may mean putting the dog down unfortunatly. I don't automatically think that a bite means you have to put the dog down. Dogs are animals and animals have instincts. With out knowing what was happening its hard to tell if the dog just randomly bite or if it felt a threat from the person it bite.

Oh and I would also have paid the cost of the doctor visit and the medicine/antibotics of the person who got bite too. :( How terrible for that person. I would also make sure the dog no longer has access to that person or anyone else until its been to the vet.

Was it a provoked attack? By provoked, I don't necessarily mean that the person bitten made the dog mad, but was the dog hurt or startled by a very loud noise or in some way "caused" to lash out? (For example, my nephew was bitten by a dog once, but he had blown a shrill whistle in the dog's ear. There was an identifiable and avoidable reason for the bite.) I do not think it is safe to not tell others esp with children that this has happened. I especially think that the dog owner herself should not only tell others but should not allow the dog to be around other people at least without some training or special supervision. If the dog owner won't take responsibility for keeping others safe, then I do agree that the person bitten should not agree to hush it up.

Was it a provoked attack? By provoked, I don't necessarily mean that the person bitten made the dog mad, but was the dog hurt or startled by a very loud noise or in some way "caused" to lash out? (For example, my nephew was bitten by a dog once, but he had blown a shrill whistle in the dog's ear. There was an identifiable and avoidable reason for the bite.) I do not think it is safe to not tell others esp with children that this has happened. I especially think that the dog owner herself should not only tell others but should not allow the dog to be around other people at least without some training or special supervision. If the dog owner won't take responsibility for keeping others safe, then I do agree that the person bitten should not agree to hush it up.

The dog is an almost-ten-year-old. I believe my friend was untangling a leash on a walk when the dog big her.

Oh and I would also have paid the cost of the doctor visit and the medicine/antibotics of the person who got bite too. :( How terrible for that person. I would also make sure the dog no longer has access to that person or anyone else until its been to the vet.

The dog owner was horrified, very upset, and did offer to pay for all the medical bills. But, yes, this has been quite a strain on their friendship.

We are the owners of a very large dog. I would not expose anyone to my dog again and be very careful myself. An evaluation by a vet as to some disease, hearing loss or vision loss may be able to shed some light on this odd behavior.

Even if nothing is determined by the vet, this animal would not be playing with children or come into close contact with anyone other than us, the owners.

But no other startling noise / snake / sound / frightening thing?

That's a huge bite, not a little nip - and hushing it up is NOT being a responsible dog owner.

It certainly wasn't a nip. It looked awful and she said it was very painful.

My friend feels like she's in quite a pickle.

My son was bitten by a dog whose owner insisted that the dog immediately be allowed to run loose. She appologized, but did nothing to restrain her dog and he was running loose in the resort I was staying at when I left. I was in a vacation town, Lake Chelan, and we were leaving so there was nothing i could do. I did call animal control and explain the situation, but as I was a tourist I doubt they did anything at all. I have always felt bad about the other people the dog undoubtedly bit before things came to a head. It just isn't okay to be delusional about you dog, but many people are.:tongue_smilie:

My son was bitten by a dog whose owner insisted that the dog immediately be allowed to run loose. She appologized, but did nothing to restrain her dog and he was running loose in the resort I was staying at when I left. I was in a vacation town, Lake Chelan, and we were leaving so there was nothing i could do. I did call animal control and explain the situation, but as I was a tourist I doubt they did anything at all. I have always felt bad about the other people the dog undoubtedly bit before things came to a head. It just isn't okay to be delusional about you dog, but many people are.:tongue_smilie:

This dog-owner really loves her dog. She needs her dog. So, I think it's been pretty traumatic for her. My guess is that she won't say anything to anyone, so I'm glad my friend told me. We all live in the same neighborhood and we see the dog fairly often. I've told my kids to just stay clear away from the dog. He is always on a leash, so that won't be difficult.

Did the bit person tell the doctor she was bitten by a dog? I'm pretty sure the doctor's office will have to report it (to whom I don't know).

I had a friend whose dog bit someone, and there was a pretty complicated mandatory quarantine period with a very real possibility that the dog would be put down. My friend who owned the dog had no options to protect the dog or keep it quiet.

I understand your friend feeling like she's in a bit of a pickle. However, how would she feel if a child's face were attacked next week? In my humble opinion, your friend who was bit would be just as guilty as the negligent dog owner. She is aware that this dog is a threat and she should tell others who are at risk. Seriously, ask her how she'd feel if 5 year old Ashley down the street was bitten. Ask her how she'd feel if she had the opportunity to warn Ashley's parents but chose to honour the dog owners request instead. Oh, and if it were my dog, it would be put down. It could no longer be trusted. I have 2 dogs and love dogs, but people have to come first. As awkward as your friend feels, she will be doing the right thing by disclosing the information as it is a risk to the safety of others.

As a dog owner, it is my understanding that a major dog bite is reported by medical personel, that a quaratine may be required and some laws do require a dog to be put down. I would certainly report it to a vet and I don't know that I would ever trust the dog again. My gut feeling it that the dog needs to be put down but I understand how difficult it might be to make that choice yourself. I think it would be easier if it was out of the owner's hands. I don't even want to think about a dog that has already bitten someone being around children.

The dog is an almost-ten-year-old. I believe my friend was untangling a leash on a walk when the dog big her.

I wonder if your friend accidentally pulled the dog's hair, stepped on his foot or otherwise hurt him? Maybe her nails scraped his skin? She might have startled the dog if he was concentrating on something else. The dog might be losing his sight and didn't see her approach him early enough.

With our dogs, a growl is a warning. If the dog doesn't growl, there is a startle element. (They don't bite, but fear or pain may cause them to nip.)

Has she been around the dog again? It might be hard for her, but *her* assessment of the dog *now* would be a big help. She's known the dog for a long time and she might be able to tell if it was a one-time event or a change in the dog's personality.

:grouphug: to everyone

I had a friend whose dog bit someone, and there was a pretty complicated mandatory quarantine period with a very real possibility that the dog would be put down. My friend who owned the dog had no options to protect the dog or keep it quiet.

My mom's cat scratched her niece (an adult) on the leg. No known reason, it was a bit of an ornery cat - the niece (my cousin) was just sitting in a chair and the cat walked by her and scratched her leg. The scratch did become infected, I believe the hospital notified whatever required agency and they contected my mom to inform her it was required that she have the cat put down. It was a moot point because my mom had already had the cat put down by then. She was embarrassed and worried that the cat could hurt someone else, perhaps a child (as mentioned above), and more seriously.

Her cats have always been indoor only, so I suppose the argument could be made that she could be careful to keep the cat shut away when people came over, etc., but she was not willing to take that risk. She loves her pets, but not above the safety of people.

I would do the same thing. And I would be really leery around a dog I knew had caused that kind of injury to someone -- that's not a small nip out of annoyance, kwim?

Edited to add:

I think your friend would feel really bad if the dog bit someone else and she had not said anything. Come to think of that, who's to say that the dog hasn't bitten someone before? Has the dog bitten anyone before?

Edited by Kate in Arabia

This is not my dog. My friend is the one who was bitten. The dog owner asked her to keep quiet about the bite, and she has mixed feelings about hushing it up.

The owners desire to keep it quiet really makes me wonder if the dog has bitten before or she had reason to believe her dog was dangerous.

I could see a nip if she startled or caused it minor pain while untangling the leash, but this most certainly was not a nip. If prior to this I truly believed the animal was not aggressive then I would take it to a vet to be sure there was no underlying medical reason for the sudden change in behavior. If that wasn't the case then, I hate to say it, but I would seek to have the animal put down myself. I will not own a biting dog.

If I or one of my children were bit by some one else's dog I would most certainly report it. It may ruin a friendship, but as my dad used to say all the dogs in the world aren't worth one child's life.

Edited by akmommy

It would depend greatly on the situation. Untangling a lead seems innocent, but if another dog was present the biting dog MAY have suspected that the second dog was in it's "space".

Regardless of the friend keeping quiet or not, the ER would have record that she was bitten by a dog. They have policy they have to follow. I can understand why your friend would be concerned about it getting out, especially if the dog felt threatened by other dogs.

Some dogs are REALLY sweet, but if they feel another dog has encroached in their space that's all she wrote! We had a women stop us on a walk once wanting to pat our dog. We made our dog sit and wait, but the minute she reached forward her OWN DOG went NASTY! I kid you not, it was like psycho dog. The owner then went psycho towards the dog and I was left standing there thinking, "Whoa!" :lol:

If your dog bit a friend, what would your response be? The friend knows the dog very well -- they've been going on walks together for years. The bite was bad -- a trip to the ER, 8 stitches, huge,painful bruise on your friend's arm that lasted for weeks.

Would you let other friends know about this? Would you continue to allow children and other strangers to pet the dog?

I know there are lots of dog lovers on this board, so I thought I'd ask here. I'm not a dog person at all, so I don't know the protocol about this sort of thing.

I would take my dog to the vet. It would've been so uncharacteristic of both Maggie & Chewy that I would assume something was wrong with them. I would also not trust my dog around anyone else. I would mention it to people who came to my home, and I would most likely crate him.

If my dog had never bitten anyone before the first thing I would do is take him to the vet to rule out a medical issue. If there was no medical issue I would discuss options with my vet. If putting him down was the best option then that is what would happen, no matter how much my heart would be breaking.

My mom's cat scratched her niece (an adult) on the leg. No known reason, it was a bit of an ornery cat - the niece (my cousin) was just sitting in a chair and the cat walked by her and scratched her leg. The scratch did become infected, I believe the hospital notified whatever required agency and they contected my mom to inform her it was required that she have the cat put down. It was a moot point because my mom had already had the cat put down by then. She was embarrassed and worried that the cat could hurt someone else, perhaps a child (as mentioned above), and more seriously.

They had to put their cat down for a SCRATCH? Good grief. I'm glad we don't have that sort of law here - I've been scratched plenty by various cats we've over the years, especially the rescues we've had living with us from time to time.

I'm really surprised by thatĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ there's a huge difference between a cat scratch and a dog bite (and then there's differences between types of dog bites)

How do these sorts of rules get enforced anyway? I guess the person who was bit/scratched/etc has to be willing to give the name & address of the pet owner.. I could see some people refusing to do that under certain circumstances. [that would have been me with the cat scratch]

She should, at minimum, pay for the medical and pharmacy bills. I would want to know why she doesn't want it reported. If this dog had bitten before, I would immediately report it to protect society. If it had never bitten before and she honestly took action to remove it from everyone but her and her husband (no kids, no guests, etc), then I might be more lax in reporting it. But a huge perk in my red flag meter would be her asking for it not to be reported.

it is my understanding that a major dog bite is reported by medical personel, that a quaratine may be required and some laws do require a dog to be put down

My dog is a member of our family but I don't think in a situation like that the owner should have much choice. If the state doesn't get involved I believe it's the responsibility of the owner to make the hard decision and put the dog down. What if the bite had been to a small child? The results could have been much much worse.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

It's amazing how far pet owners will go to protect their dogs...even to the point of denying the severity of an incident.

We have a neighbor who had a Jack Russell terrier. He bit several neighborhood children. He bit my best friend. He bit my son (no broken skin or I would have handled it differently). From the time he bit my son my kids were no longer allowed to go into their yard (yard was fenced so dog was only a problem if you were in their yard).

One time when a few of the neighbors were together the dog owner said that her dog had never bitten anyone. Nipped, yes, but bitten? Never. I was dumbfounded, looked at her, and said, "If teeth make contact, it's a bite." She was obviously taken aback. I think she had somehow rationalized that this beast was not biting.

That said, I had a dog who snapped a few times at our family...I had seen an increase in her aggressiveness and was watching. One day one of my sons (then age 2 or 3) dropped a piece of food and bent to pick it up. The dog bit him. The dog was put down a few hours later. It was a difficult thing to do, but necessary.

I can understand the owner being very attached to her pet and not wanting to put it down, but I can't understand not wanting to alert others and not wanting to keep the dog away from others for their own safety. That's not rational thinking. Hopefully she will bring the dog to the vet, be honest about what happened, and get some answers. I wonder if the dog is sore somewhere on the belly and reaching underneath for the leash hurt or the dog was being protective of that area.

Personally, I would report the dog bite to the police...Even at this late date, she should supply a medical report and pictures if she has them to protect herself and others in the future.

RED FLAG! Owners who pursue so much secrecy, often have let other bites go unreported... And anyone who needs an animal so much that they cover up something like this. Well, she needs a less dangerous pet.

Nipping, I could let go, but a bite requiring an ER trip and stitches, no way.

Disclaimer...My sister's ex's-wife's chow attacked and bit my 4 yold niece, whom he knew and loved. He bit her on the shoulder/back, then bit onto her thigh and drug her around the yard...While both adults tried to stop him. Awful, awful, awful. Oh, yes ex and his wife did not want to report their little darling.

Edited by Tammyla

(1) Put the dog down

(2) Rehome the dog into a situation where the new owner is fully aware of the issues and experienced in handling them.

(3) Train and control the dog's environment so that there is no chance of this happening again. That means never allowing anyone EVER to touch the dog or interact with it other than mostly grown member of the owner's family. It means that the owner commits to keeping the dog kenneled any time the owner can not exercise direct physical control over the dog. It means the dog is never walked without a muzzle. They make great muzzles now that dogs can pant and drink water with, and dogs can be trained to LIKE them. And yes, it means the neighbors know so that they can understand why they are not allowed to greet the dog or allow their children to do so.

Those are the only options I would find acceptable. Any other options carry risks I would find unacceptable as either the victim or the owner.

Here is what happened to me. I had a great Dane puppy who had never shown aggression, but because he was such a large breed, he was already going to a private trainer.

One day, we were all swimming, and the puppy could not get into the pool fence, but the loud laughing and yelling was agitating him.

I got out and got dressed because I was supposed to go plant shopping with my friend. She planned to leave her 3 year old son at daycare.

He asked if he could stay with my husband and play with my son instead. We were standing at her car in my driveway, when we saw a tiny poodle run out into a busy road. She told me to go try to return the poodle and she would go talk to dh.

I gave the poodle back to a very unapreciative owner, and when I got home, her son was standing there with a towel on his head, and blood was pouring out of it. I asked if my son hit him with a sword. That was the only explanation I could think of.

It turned out that as soon as her zone walked into my back yard. My puppy put his mouth over the child's entire head and bit his scalp open. Dh had a baby in the deep end of the pool, and was trying to get out and get out of the pool fence.

Dh and my friend rushed her son to the ER where they put 10 staples in his head. When people asked him what happened, he pointed to Dh and said, "His dog ate my head. " When they were through, his mother said he was so brave, he could have anything in the world. He said he just wanted to go back to my house.

The next day was Mother's Day. Our mutual trekked were in shock. My friend insisted that we carry on with the party planned at my house. She made sure that everyone could see that she wasn't blaming me, that she would not let it affect our friendship and that she would not tolerate anyone else blaming me either.

She did not say that the dog should be rehomed or put down. She just said that she trusted me, and knew I'd find the best solution for everyone. Both my vet and the trainer felt that the dog was overexcited and "playing". My vet thought it was excessive for me to consider rehoming the dog. The more I thought of it, the more I felt like the child should not have to see that dog again.

It took me several weeks, but I ended up giving the puppy to the trainer. He lived at the facility and was used daily to work with other dogs and dog owners.

No one ever mention quarantining the dog or forcing me to have him put down.

Edited by amy g.
Autocorrect I'm on my phone and can't figure out how to fix the crazy wrong words.

When I was about 14, our family dog began acting different and would bark and growl at people more frequently. Then one day, he bit the mailman- the same mailman that had been coming to our house for years and would pet our dog if he was outside (on a run). My mom took him to the vet. The vet said he had a brain tumor. We brought him home, but never let him outside unattended again. His behavior became more and more erratic and when he growled and nipped at my little brother, my mom took him to the vet and had him put to sleep. She was not going to take the chance that he bite someone else.

So, I think your friend should let other people know. Her friend is going to have to deal with it if the dog bites someone else. Someone else might file a law suit against her.

If my dog bit someone? My dog would be dead.

As for me, as an adult, needing my dog? Well, as an adult human, I'm responsible for my own needs and shortcomings. Those don't supercede the safety of others.

I'll refrain from commenting on the owner's relationship with her dog. Suffice it to say that this is not the first issue we've come across in which this dog owner believes the needs of her dog come before the needs of people.

I've never liked or trusted this dog, mostly because I see that the owner hasn't trained it very well. She isn't willing to make the dog do what the dog needs to do. The dog reminds me of a very spoiled toddler who rules the household.

Did the bit person tell the doctor she was bitten by a dog? I'm pretty sure the doctor's office will have to report it (to whom I don't know).

This is the case where I live also. The hospital staff here are required to report any animal attack that needs medical attention.

They had to put their cat down for a SCRATCH? Good grief. I'm glad we don't have that sort of law here - I've been scratched plenty by various cats we've over the years, especially the rescues we've had living with us from time to time.

I'm really surprised by thatĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ there's a huge difference between a cat scratch and a dog bite (and then there's differences between types of dog bites)

How do these sorts of rules get enforced anyway? I guess the person who was bit/scratched/etc has to be willing to give the name & address of the pet owner.. I could see some people refusing to do that under certain circumstances. [that would have been me with the cat scratch]

There are different degrees of cat scratches. My dh was attacked by a friend's cat while trying to pick it up (the friend was temporarily staying with us and the cat came into our room). The scratches were extremely deep and got infected almost immediately. He had to have his thumb glued together and get IV antibiotics for the infection. We did not report it, but the nurse at the hospital did. The cat was quarantined by county animal services for 2 weeks, though it was not put down.

I am a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE dog lover. HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE.

My dachsund bit a friend's son a couple of weeks ago. I was MORTIFIED. He did bleed but didn't need stitches. I called for a few days to make sure there was no change, no infection, etc. I feel simply AWFUL. I would NEVER ask her to keep it quiet. Never.

I explained the situation with our dog. He does have issues, but he doees well with BEHAVED kids. The child bitten is such a great kid that I let my guard down. The dog was in the cage initially but dh wanted him to go out to relieve himself. I've had MANY talks with dh and dd11, telling them that we MUST keep Rusty caged. They see what a great dog he is and didn't realize the severity of his problem. We've had him 8 years, he only broke skin once. He nipped another kid for running in the house, and I know he has issues with running. I tell all kids NO RUNNING, one ran and got nipped.

Since the last bite, I've told dh and dd11 that under NO circumstance is he to come out of his cage when we have people over. NEVER. Dh says what if he whines? I said LET HIM. I've put my foot down and this dog will NOT be running freely with other people in the house EVER AGAIN. NO MATTER WHAT.

I can't blame my dog 100%. dd and friend were swatting each other with branches, just innocent play. I think my dog thought the boy was attacking dd. YES, I should have intervened. I'm just not quick and logical like that since my head injury. I HATE THAT but this is how my life is now.

I think the woman is embarrassed and wanting to keep things quiet, but I think that's unfair of her. And to have the dog around people STILL? She's being reckless and the dog is going to strike again. I'd definitely NOT keep my mouth quiet.

For me - dog won't be around people PERIOD. And we're talking about a 13 lb dog. Yes I know they can still cause damage, but gitter dogs can cause more. That woman is an idiot and she's probably going to cause the death of her dog eventually.

It certainly wasn't a nip. It looked awful and she said it was very painful.

My friend feels like she's in quite a pickle.

that is a SERIOUS injury. If the woman is being reckless still, your friend could possibly prevent further injuries to other people. She shouldn't have to keep her mouth shut. People are going to ASK about her injury anyway!!! The owner of the dog is stupid.

In our house, I've argued my point about our dachsund for years. I AM THE ANIMAL LOVER!!! Now, I don't care WHO says WHAT around WHOM, I will *very sternly* reiterate the rules.

This dog-owner really loves her dog. She needs her dog. So, I think it's been pretty traumatic for her. My guess is that she won't say anything to anyone, so I'm glad my friend told me. We all live in the same neighborhood and we see the dog fairly often. I've told my kids to just stay clear away from the dog. He is always on a leash, so that won't be difficult.

so what? A *RESPONSIBLE* dog owner won't allow a dog like that to be in contact with other people. If I had a dog like that and wanted to bring it out in public, I'd put a muzzle on it.

We were at a fair last weekend. A child bent down to pet a dachsund and almost got bit. The owner said not to go at it's face like that. Well, DON'T bring a biting dog in public without nuzzling it, stupid!

If you bring a dog out in public, people are going to pet it. No, they shouldn't, but it's to be expected in a crowded place.

Edited by Denisemomof4

I love animals; currently, we have a boxer, 2 cats, chickens, and 2 horses.

If my dog bit a friend (especially a bite that caused stitches and a trip to the ER), that dog would be put to sleep. Period. It is not worth the risk to have a pet that has demonstrated purposefully injuring someone. What happens the next time the dog is upset and it is a child or a baby? I think your friend has some responsibility to follow up and make sure that this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Out of curiosity, what breed was the dog?

I understand your friend feeling like she's in a bit of a pickle. However, how would she feel if a child's face were attacked next week? In my humble opinion, your friend who was bit would be just as guilty as the negligent dog owner. She is aware that this dog is a threat and she should tell others who are at risk. Seriously, ask her how she'd feel if 5 year old Ashley down the street was bitten. Ask her how she'd feel if she had the opportunity to warn Ashley's parents but chose to honour the dog owners request instead. Oh, and if it were my dog, it would be put down. It could no longer be trusted. I have 2 dogs and love dogs, but people have to come first. As awkward as your friend feels, she will be doing the right thing by disclosing the information as it is a risk to the safety of others.

:iagree:

If my dog bit someone? My dog would be dead.

As for me, as an adult, needing my dog? Well, as an adult human, I'm responsible for my own needs and shortcomings. Those don't supercede the safety of others.

:iagree:

My mom's dog bit my friend in the face. I had always been a little wary of her dog (a small dog), mainly because my mom did nothing to deal with what I considered territory and aggression issues in general. But, the dog had never actually hurt any of my kids or anyone else, and I didn't know anything about dogs at the time, so I just chalked my uneasiness up to my ignorance of all things dogs.

Then one day my friend (standing right next to her 10yo son) leaned into the back of my car to say hi to the dog (my mom was with me) and the dog leapt at her and bit her on her lip. It was bad. ER visit, major stitches, and a scar that will always be there. I was so traumatized I ended up seeing someone to deal with the panic attacks and general PTSD type symptoms I was dealing with.

Anyhow, my mom was horrified and paid the bills and all that, but she didn't do anything about the dog. I didn't know what to do. I made sure the dog wasn't around for awhile, but it was being explained away (by both my mom AND my friend who got bit) that it wasn't really the dog's fault because my friend leaned in and cornered the dog. I wasn't really buying it, but again, I knew nothing about dogs so I brushed if off as me being overly dramatic.

About a year later my mom asked me to watch her dog for two days. In retrospect I should have put my foot down long ago, but I did it (I have lots of guilt and other issues with my mom). My son's friend came over, and as he ran into the house (after having been there an hour or so), the dog jumped up and tried to bite him on the face. It ended up just grazing his cheek, looking like a scratch. I about threw up from anxiety. My mom still did nothing.

The dog ended up dying of natural causes about a year later. Looking back, and knowing what I know now about dogs, I would have made sure that dog was never unmuzzled when around other people. Ever. I'm still dealing with anger issues with my mom for allowing the dog's behavior to go unchecked.

Our puppy is only 11 months old, and has never shown a sign of aggression, but if she ever bit anyone the way my mom's dog did, she would be rehomed with a professional or put down. Period.

It wasn't the scratch it was the infection. I'm sure when she went to the hospital to have it treated they questioned her about it, and like the person in the OP I would not have expected her to lie (or hide information) about it.

Edited to add:

Reading through the state guidelines, physicians are required to report any animal bites or scratches; the animal has to be put in quarantine until it is known whether there are further health developments in the animal or the victim.

Edited by Kate in Arabia

My sister adored her dog, but he bit her for doing something owners should be able to do (picking up his food or something), and she had him put down. He had other issues, and one could argue that his bite was understandable under the circs, but that does not mean he should have a chance to do it again, possibly to another person.

I could understand the dog owner wanting to keep the dog alive, but the dog must not have an opportunity to bite again. This means people should be warned before going near the dog. Maybe the owner plans to warn everyone who comes close, I don't know, but I would be talking to her about it if I had been bitten and asked to keep mum. No, I don't think I'd run to animal control first thing, but I'd want to hear her tell me how she's going to prevent this from happening again.

Wow, in my state the ER is a required reporter of dog bites. State law says they have to report it and then the owner has to prove proof of vaccinations and put the dog into quarantine in thier home or the state will take the dog into quarantine at state facilities.

She's not much of a friend if she is aking her to lie. Lie by omission is still a lie.

My friend's dog bit my son in the face when he (ds) was about 5 years old; there were two clean puncture holes on either side of ds's nose. I was livid, I'm not going to kid you.

However, ds was doing something stupid (I think he might have been blowing into the dog's face or something of that nature), and I can honestly say, now that I'm not so terribly upset, that the dog just reacted to his not so dog-savvy behavior.

I guess it would completely depend on the situation, the dog, and the person that was bitten. I mean, if a child reached out and hit someone, whether or not to be angry at the child would depend on the situation; is the child just an angry kid who hits at random? Or did the person he hit try to do something that made the child uncomfortable?

I would examine the situation clearly if it were my dog. I would not want my dog to be a threat to anyone. Ever. But, if my dog felt threatened or cornered and reacted...well, I'm not sure I'd be able to completely blame the dog without first looking at the situation. I would apologize, feel absolutely awful, offer to pay medical expenses, regardless (unless it was a result of a direct attack on my dog).