Menu

SWB? Please read! Homeschool and SOTW PAYOFF!!

I've GOT to share this homeschool/SOTW success with you---

So today was Molly's first day of high school-- freshman year. Last June, on Move-Up Day, all the students went through a day of high school, met their teachers, and in her Honors World Civilizations class, they took a little test. I didn't know that until today.

The test involved a few history questions, an essay about the symbolism/significance of the Taj Mahal, a map upon which they had to label all the continents, and a check list of civilizations where they had to check off whether or not they'd ever studied them and one important fact or contribution of each.

Today they got the tests back. The teacher handed them out and said that if they had marks on their paper, they had gaps in their history knowledge and had areas that they'd have to work on.

Then she said, "In all of my classes, I only had ONE perfect paper, without any mistakes or incorrect answers. And that was Molly's." (Molly is the only homeschooled kid in the freshman class; most likely the whole school.)

Molly almost passed out, she said, and when she came home today she opened with that story. I literally burst into tears.

I"m not saying that there won't be some gaps, or some rough patches, but wow, we certainly owe this all to The Story of the World. It DID stick in that mind of hers!

Anyway, thanks SWB!

astrid

Edited by astrid

Well done Molly (and Mum)! It's lovely to hear how well she's doing, especially after the boys and I followed your link earlier this year showing her successes in the show ring with your Leonberger.

It is amazing how much they retain from SOTW. We've just returned from a three week holiday in France, during which we visited the Bayeux Tapestry Museum which is also displaying a Japanese Emaki; DS10, who is a very air-headed, distracted sort of 10 yo, suddenly started telling DH all about medieval Japan. DH was totally incredulous, "How does he know all this?". Needless to say SWB and classical homeschooling has suddenly grown even further in DH's estimation.

Best wishes

Cassy

I can't really take any credit for her SOTW success, other than choosing the curriculum and doing her history lesson plans. My elderly mom lives with us and SOTW is something that she and Molly did together. Molly would read each chapter aloud to my mom and they'd talk about it. Then Molly would write her summary, outline, activity pages, etc. and take her tests while I taught adult education classes in the morning at our local college. When I came home at lunch time, Molly would fill me in on their history story and then we'd go on to math, science, grammar, literature, etc. together in the afternoon.

My mom really missed SOTW when we finished the fourth book.

astrid

I can't really take any credit for her SOTW success, other than choosing the curriculum and doing her history lesson plans. My elderly mom lives with us and SOTW is something that she and Molly did together. Molly would read each chapter aloud to my mom and they'd talk about it. Then Molly would write her summary, outline, activity pages, etc. and take her tests while I taught adult education classes in the morning at our local college. When I came home at lunch time, Molly would fill me in on their history story and then we'd go on to math, science, grammar, literature, etc. together in the afternoon.

My mom really missed SOTW when we finished the fourth book.

astrid

I love it that your dd and her grandma read SOTW together! What a sweet memory for your dd to treasure.

WOW!!!:party: I know it's recommended for younger ages, but we're starting it with MOH this year, and dd11 is also attending an enrichment co-op which uses SOTW, MOH and TOG. We're starting with the Ancients and will bring it up to grade level with the readers.

You've inspired me! Thanks!

On a side note, that little chick of mine is almost at 100% She has full control of her neck, is SO strong, is walking around, etc. The ONLY issue I'm having with her is that she won't eat on her own. I still have to syringe feed her and she fights it every step of the way.

I've got tears in my eyes, and it's not even my daughter (pregnancy hormones, ahem...)

Congratulations to you BOTH!!! What a fantastic way for her to start this new journey!

:hurray:

:iagree: Tears here as well and I'm not pregnant. :001_smile:

I love it that your dd and her grandma read SOTW together! What a sweet memory for your dd to treasure.

:iagree:

This is a wonderful testimony and I will always look back on this while teaching my 2 little girls. By the way, my dd (senior) told me the other day she remembers a lot about SOTW 1 that we did way back when. She is doing ancients this last year of high school. :001_smile: