Menu

If you buy from used clothing stores

Yes, I do. I have found new or like new shoes often. I've never worried about them. Did you know you can spray paint non-leather shoes? If I find a good pair that fits and I don't like the color, I spray them with paint for plastic. It comes in loads of great colors that you can find at hardware stores like Lowes.

Yes, I have. I have no problem with it and have never given it a second thought. I've bought many specialty shoes for my kids used (dress shoes, snow boots, costume accessories, soccer cleats) and once in a while, daily-wear shoes for any one of us.

I personally haven't seen a lot of second-hand shoes that I want for myself, but I don't care that somebody else wore them before me.

I buy snow boots, barn boots, and fancy shoes at the thrift store for my dd. I have major feet issues and would never find anything for me, but I would not hestitate if it were nice.

FYI I am always amazed at the condition of the boots I buy. I swear they have not been worn more than once or twice.

I don't usually, just because most of them do not look very nice. But if I found a nice looking pair that I liked, I would not hesitate. I've bought for the kids before though.

I haven't but like ChristusG it's only because they all look like they were worn by Amazon women for 10 years. Anytime I see kids shoes that will fit I buy them because we seem to go through a lot of shoes.

"What do you mean your cowgirl boots got lost in the creek?!?!"

We usually each have one pair of quality bought-new shoes (to go with our thrifted finery ;) ), but once in a very very great while, for costume purposes, we'll pick up something. Not for daily wear, though, because my family is obsessive about well-fitting, quality shoes.

I once got pair of dance shoes that were made to be washable and were my size, so I did snap those up!

Guest submarines

I keep seeing awesome, high quality, like-new shoes that are a size too small almost every time I go to the thrift store. I wear size 11, though...Haven't seen anything my size that woud fit my high standards. ;)

I buy used shoes for my kids all the time. It is easy to find brands that would be $60-100 for $5.

For adults, I worry about nail fungus, though. DH has an awful fungus on his toenail, that he hasn't been able to cure for the last 8 years or so. It is not getting worse, but not getting better either. Presumably it is very contageous.

For this reason, if I were to find a second hand pair that I loved, I'd want to clean the shoes really well. Not sure how, though. I'd probably buy first, unable to resist a bargain, and then google :lol:

I've never seen anything in my size that I would even want. But I've bought old boys' black lace-up shoes--the kind you get for them to wear to church--for my girls to wear on pioneer living history days. My older daughter then likes to use them to mow the lawn, so she doesn't turn her nice tennies green. :)

Little kid shoes....yep! Me...no.

I get several pair for dd4 each year that look brand new. You can tell if shoes have been worn very much. She is very, very hard on shoes. She will wear out at least one pair of quality shoes each season, and sometimes goes through 2-3. I have been able to keep her in Merrells, Tevas (sport sandles), and Northside (sport sandles), Lands End or other high quality boots....much more economically than I would otherwise. I also don't worry about, nor do I hinder, her rough and tumble play, dragging her toes on her ride on toys with $8 used shoes. I would if they were costing me $35-50 a pair.

She has very, very flat, wide feet that pronate and sweat a lot! She can't wear many brands of shoes, and of course they are they expensive ones LOL

I toss all shoes in the wash, and then air dry. Merrells have removable insoles so I feel like they are clean when they come out.

I haven't but like ChristusG it's only because they all look like they were worn by Amazon women for 10 years. Anytime I see kids shoes that will fit I buy them because we seem to go through a lot of shoes.

"What do you mean your cowgirl boots got lost in the creek?!?!"

:lol: OMWord. I have tears in my eyes. That totally made me laugh out loud. It is so true.

Sometimes I have, but its not so much the hygiene, but how worn they are. Everyone's foot tread is so unique and I don't like to walk in someone else's tread, so to speak.

I have some Birk clogs that I bought 2nd hand, barely worn, for $20. I do find bargains. Dh just bought some proper sheepskin Ughs barely worn for a few $. But I am not a big shoe person- a few pairs is enough for me.

Never. A podiatrist my mom was seeing once told me that buying 2nd hand shoes is really bad for your feet, and especially for children's feet. When you wear shoes, they sort of "mold" to your feet and it can cause problems wearing shoes that have high/low spots that don't match up to yours.

Never. A podiatrist my mom was seeing once told me that buying 2nd hand shoes is really bad for your feet, and especially for children's feet. When you wear shoes, they sort of "mold" to your feet and it can cause problems wearing shoes that have high/low spots that don't match up to yours.

This is why I don't. I did buy some near-new Crocs for my 2 yr old, but that's it.

90% of our shoes (mine, my kids) come from thrift stores. And <gasp> I don't clean them any which way before we use them. We buy ones in good shape and that aren't visually icky. I don't buy ones that look like crap or are very worn. No problems in the 18 or so years I've been doing this.

I do agree with this but in my laymans opinion....I would rather my child have high quality shoes that have been lightly worn (I only by like-new used shoes) than cheap shoes with no support. The way that dd4 burns through shoes, I would only be able to buy cheap shoes if I didn't buy some second hand.

I have also read that this is a myth. When you buy new shoes, the shoes have to adjust to your feet. When you buy formerly worn shoes, the shoes have to adjust to your feet. I have a hard time seeing the difference. ;)

Well, in terms of them already being worn...if they have been worn substantially, yes, I think this can be a problem from an alignment standpoint. If you put a pair of well-worn shoes down on a table, they may "roll" inward where the sole (not the insole, but the regular rubber sole/outer portion) has been worn down more towards the midline if the previous owner was a pronator, for example (very common). So I do think it *can* be different from breaking in new shoes.

I can and do buy used shoes for myself and my kids, but only when they are in excellent condition. I look at the insoles, the soles themselves, etc.

I have an amazing pair of vintage Frye boots that I adore.

Sure I do. However, I've done it for me more often than for the kids. I don't trust their own sense of their size because they often get all annoyed by the fit of shoes so I take them to the really good children's shoe store to buy new ones. Expensive new ones. Sigh.

:iagree:

I was told the same thing when my oldest was an infant and again when my son was diagnosed was about 5. Our peditrician said that many things like Athletes Foot and toenail fungus are easily transmitted by wearing other people's socks and shoes. I also won't buy used underwear or socks.

Sue

Yes, I have. I have no problem with it and have never given it a second thought. I've bought many specialty shoes for my kids used (dress shoes, snow boots, costume accessories, soccer cleats) and once in a while, daily-wear shoes for any one of us.

I personally haven't seen a lot of second-hand shoes that I want for myself, but I don't care that somebody else wore them before me.

Ditto this. I am unfazed. :)

I buy dress shoes. I've gotten some gorgeous expensive ones for a few dollars! I wouldn't buy a shoe that's an everyday shoe because I do think they tend to mold to the wearer's foot and I'd avoid that. But dress shoes...it's a way to indulge my shoe fetish. :)