Menu

10 Good Things

1. The bathroom's almost clean--enough that the kids were able to use it (w/out much privacy), & I've started on the shower (although it's worse than I thought). It will be done tomorrow. (I spent half the day sick :glare:, so I didn't get as much done as I would have liked.)

2. Dh got the sticky parts of the floor around the fireplace & in the doorway laid, so we may finish that tomorrow, too. Definitely by the next day.

3. We told the kids the plan, & they looked SO heartbroken. Almost enough to say, "Forget it. We'll figure out something else." But once we got there & started working, 10yo esp (the more emotional one) lit up. By the end of the day, he said he was happy & glad that we'd decided to stay. (Because he got to lay floor w/ dh.)

4. The littles did ok staying downstairs & played nicely like I haven't seen them play since before we moved.

5. At lunch, instead of doing something efficient & nasty, we took sandwiches to the park & had a picnic. Honestly, I think that was the best thing we did all day: to just. stop. And look around. And remember why we came.

6. When we finished for the day & got back to the hotel, dh had an interview offer waiting for him. Not a solve-all-your-problems job, but not min wage. And def not $20/day.

7. He took his computer w/ us to mom's today in case we wanted to turn a movie on for the littles & accidentally left it there. He could go back, but I"m counting this as a good thing because we haven't spent an eve *looking* at ea other in weeks. We're going to play cards w/ the bigs & not do anything useful.

8. We didn't need a movie for the littles. Between their sweet playing & the bigs' good attitude (which they spent entertaining the littles between chores), I think they had enough to do & enough attention to get them through the day better than they have been. And after the picnic, they got *good* naps for a change. (Yesterday was day #2 w/ no naps & going to bed at 10pm.)

9. Dh & I were able to prioritize the work on the downstairs w/out arguing. :lol: If you knew us, you'd know that's a miracle. ;)

10. Dh is bathing the littles right now so I can just sit. Even though that's almost all I did all day. :001_huh: It might even be for the best that I felt so yucky, because it can make me a lot nicer--I feel like such a slacker, I'm less likely to gripe at dh that he's working too slowly--everything he does looks like gold. :lol:

Thank you for sharing -- it's wonderful to hear some heartening and positive news.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:D

The best of it is *completely* & *directly* thanks to you guys. I couldn't deal w/ this w/out having a place to go at night this week. And the interview is for a job one of you guys pm'd me about. It's his first interview in...over a year, maybe. It's very encouraging.

The rest was simply made possible by the patience, listening, & kindness here.

I'm so glad you had 10 good things today. :grouphug:

Re the bathroom privacy--From the time I was 10 until after I had my first child, my parents' home had no interior doors. We hung curtains (or cheap fabric with a quick hem job and a rod pocket at the top) on tension rods in the doorways. All three of us kids survived to adulthood with minimal scarring. ;)

On a related note, if you find yourself in a situation where you have walls framed but not drywalled, I can also vouch for using brown butcher paper stapled to the studs for walls. You can buy a big roll of butcher paper. The bad news is that younger siblings can punch holes in your bedroom walls really easily. The good news is, the wall is cheap to repair. :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug: You are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep hanging in there.

Can you get a shower tension rod and a shower curtain to hang for a bathroom "door". It's not ideal, but a lot easier than hanging a door and it works for the short-run.

:confused: I don't think putting the door on will be a big deal. It's sitting in mom's garage.

I'd hate the idea of a curtain *anyway,* but w/ littles? They'd LOVE poking their faces in.

1. The bathroom's almost clean--enough that the kids were able to use it (w/out much privacy), & I've started on the shower (although it's worse than I thought). It will be done tomorrow. (I spent half the day sick :glare:, so I didn't get as much done as I would have liked.)

2. Dh got the sticky parts of the floor around the fireplace & in the doorway laid, so we may finish that tomorrow, too. Definitely by the next day.

3. We told the kids the plan, & they looked SO heartbroken. Almost enough to say, "Forget it. We'll figure out something else." But once we got there & started working, 10yo esp (the more emotional one) lit up. By the end of the day, he said he was happy & glad that we'd decided to stay. (Because he got to lay floor w/ dh.)

4. The littles did ok staying downstairs & played nicely like I haven't seen them play since before we moved.

5. At lunch, instead of doing something efficient & nasty, we took sandwiches to the park & had a picnic. Honestly, I think that was the best thing we did all day: to just. stop. And look around. And remember why we came.

6. When we finished for the day & got back to the hotel, dh had an interview offer waiting for him. Not a solve-all-your-problems job, but not min wage. And def not $20/day.

7. He took his computer w/ us to mom's today in case we wanted to turn a movie on for the littles & accidentally left it there. He could go back, but I"m counting this as a good thing because we haven't spent an eve *looking* at ea other in weeks. We're going to play cards w/ the bigs & not do anything useful.

8. We didn't need a movie for the littles. Between their sweet playing & the bigs' good attitude (which they spent entertaining the littles between chores), I think they had enough to do & enough attention to get them through the day better than they have been. And after the picnic, they got *good* naps for a change. (Yesterday was day #2 w/ no naps & going to bed at 10pm.)

9. Dh & I were able to prioritize the work on the downstairs w/out arguing. :lol: If you knew us, you'd know that's a miracle. ;)

10. Dh is bathing the littles right now so I can just sit. Even though that's almost all I did all day. :001_huh: It might even be for the best that I felt so yucky, because it can make me a lot nicer--I feel like such a slacker, I'm less likely to gripe at dh that he's working too slowly--everything he does looks like gold. :lol:

This warms my heart! All of it. But especially the part about the potential job for your dh.

:confused: I don't think putting the door on will be a big deal. It's sitting in mom's garage.

I'd hate the idea of a curtain *anyway,* but w/ littles? They'd LOVE poking their faces in.

Hanging a door in an already existing home is... awful.

Buying a door with the frame already on it makes it super easy.

I wish I listened to that bit of advice when I installed my first new door. :glare: I ended up going back to the store and buying a pre-hung door.

Aubrey, the two bold sentences above. That's what I was talking about when I said to "breathe". I hope today helped bring a clearer perspective. :grouphug:

You are an amazing person to be able to stay positive and hopeful throughout all this...those kiddos are lucky to have you as their mom! Lots of luck to your DH with his job interview! It might not be a dream job, but it's a start!

:grouphug::grouphug:

Hang in there!