Menu

S/o 17 kids' names. What are your kids' names?

Mine are named after family. We are also raising nieces and nephews. I'll just list my dc since I had input on their naming.

Emily Laine, I wanted Elaine because that is both my mom's middle name and dh's mom's middle name. Dh said no.

Jacquelin Nicole, named after my dad

Grace Ann, named after me

Ashleigh Claire, namd after my maternal grandmother and dh's dad

Sofia Rose, named after my great-aunt

Only one child.

Molly Catherine Linnea

Molly = because it's not a "*****y" name. Really. That's the reason. You just can't picture a "Molly" being nasty, can you? At least dh and I couldn't.

Catherine = my mother's middle name and her mother's first name. With a "C," NOT a "K" as is the more popular form.

Linnea = the flower of Smaland, Sweden, where my grandparents were born and raised. Pronounced <lin-NAY-uh>

astrid

David Zachary

Caleb Daniel

Jesse Robert

Ethan Wyatt

Kathryn Cecilia

Aaron Mathias

Tobias Xavier

Bridget Darling

Phoebe Noelle

Levi Thaddeus

ETA:

No family names

All boys first names are biblical

All girls first names are saints

None have the same first initial

Austin John Patrick. He got family names from my side and his fathers. He is a 5th generation Austin on my side, and a 4th generation John Patrick on his dad's side.

Ceilidh Joyce. Joyce was my gramma's name. Her dad gave her the first name, he played drums in a pipe band back then.

Hunter Andrew. Middle name after my then best friend that stood by my side during the pregnancy and then was with me when I delivered. First name because I liked it.

Isabelle Rose. Just really liked the names, no significance.

Shaylyn Nichole - saw it (Shaylyn) on TV and loved it, no special meaning to either name

Malea Mae - Malea was a coworker's name and I loved it, Mae is my maternal grandmother's middle name

Easton Anthony - Easton we just liked, but Anthony is DH's name. His grandfather was Henry, his father is Paul Henry, and he is Anthony Paul, so DS had to be something Anthony :)

Kyla Grace - Kyla was just a name we liked and Grace was after the hymn, "Amazing Grace"

Collin William - Collin we liked; William was after dh's dad, who died before Collin was born. Collin was the first grandchild after his death and plus I just really like William. Side note: 4 of the 18 grandkids on that side bear William's name in the middle!

Lydia Clare - This will sound strange, but this was the first child over whom I actually prayed for the "right" name. I believed God had a name for her and when this name came to me and dh consented immediately, I knew it was correct. My mother's initials are also "L.C." and my grandmother was named "Elsie," so that is another thing I liked about the name. Lydia was stillborn, but I still think her name is so beautiful.

Mason Christian - We had liked Mason for a while; it was Lydia's "boy" name. Christian was a name we liked, but it also had meaning in terms of being our faith and this was the child that followed his sister's death. I guess it was an assertion for us that we were still Christians, through a lot of doubt.

Edited by Quill
typo

Mine come from the show Pushing Daisies.

Pigby-named after the pig. When he was about 3 or so he was giving some really wimpy hugs, so I kept saying, "Squeeze Pigby!" in my best Kristin Chenoweth voice.

Digby-since Pigby and Digby are best friends, it was just natural that he be Digby. Although "maniac" would be appropriate too :D

Chuck- I really wanted to name her Charlotte so we could have a girl named Chuck, but DH refused. Well, ha ha DH:tongue_smilie: I got my Chuck anyway. Even though I mostly refer to her as baby girl on these boards.

Lydia Clare - This will sound strange, but this was the first child over whom I actually prayed for the "right" name. I believed God had a name for her and when this name came to me and dh consented immediately, I knew it was correct. My mother's initials are also "L.C." and my grandmother was named "Elsie," so that is another thing I liked about the name. Lydia was stillborn, but I still think her name is so beautiful.

:crying::grouphug: It is a very beautiful name.

Rebecca Madelyn - I liked the name Rebecca and Madelyn just seemed to go well with Rebecca.

Sylvia Katelyn - I'd long wanted to name a little girl Sylvia, but I was thinking to just use it as a middle name. The only other name DH & I could agree on was Katelyn, which happened to be very popular at the time. So she became Sylvia Katelyn.

And you might notice that both of their names end in -a and both of their middle names end in -lyn. This was not planned, I swear! I didn't realize it until Sylvia was a few months old. So that's how I got my screen name.

Aidan Flynn - DH is Irish and has red hair, Flynn means son of the red-haired one. We pickrd Aidan because it sounded good with Flynn.

Lilly Grace - I love the name Lilly and my friends called me Grace in college. I am a dancer, but I tend to fall a lot and run into walls....and we like the Christian meaning of Grace too.

Rachel Anne--My Mom chose Rachel and Anne is my middle name

Melissa Marie--Marie is a family name--my husbands family is from Canada and they are all Marie.(Marie Claire, Marie Geraldine,....)

Jimmy Joseph Jr.-- after his Dad

Joseph Selah --Joseph was my husband and my grandfathers name and the Bible story of Joseph is one of hubby's favorites. Selah from the Bible to ponder/stop and think---and this guy is definately a thinker!!

Abigail Rose--from the Bible Abigail hastened and arose...

Susanna Mary--Susanna is a favorite of mine!(Susan is a dear friend of mine) Mary is my Mom's name.

Katherine Elizabeth--Dh chose her first name and I chose her middle name.:)

Noah Thomas--I just like the name Noah and the Biblical reference. Thomas is for my dh's best friend that had passed away.

Nicholas Simon--Just liked the name:)

Brianna Faith- I picked out Faith when I was like 12 and we liked the name Brianna. Completley coincidental that I am Anna. Really.

Keira Danielle- Had such a hard time with her name and my DH heard the name Keira and loved it. So did I. We did spell it different than most (Kiera). Danielle, I just liked it. I actually considered it for a first name.

Luke Andres- Luke was the ONLY boy name that both DH and I liked. Andres is my husbands middle name because I was not calling my child Karl Jr.

Devlin Lucille Devlin because it started with a D like mine and it was different again like mine Lucille because that was my gramma. One of the greatest women to ever live (not that I am bias :001_smile:)

Damian Alexander this was totally my mom. Supposedly when I was a child I promised her that she could name my first son and we must all keep our promises :lol:

Dylan Fox I had to pick a D name that started with a D and ended with an N or he would be left out according to others in the family Fox is my big brother who I basically adored growing up We call him Fox not Dylan

Skyler Bay She is the baby that should not have been born according to the docs. I was going to name her Dailyn Piper but my daughter Devlin begged and pleaded for something different. We came up with acceptable names together and she chose Skyler Bay. Skyler Bay is what she is called as well. She is also my oldest daughters doll pretty much. Devlin was 8 when she was born and she has been her baby ever since, as well as everyone elses.

Elisabeth Alice -

Ok how to keep this short?

On a family level: Wanted to name her after my grandmother Edna Alice so took the E___ Alice. My mom's middle name was Elizabeth so thought that would keep the family peace, but changed the z to an s because I didn't want her to be called Liz or Lizard. (Though I may lose out on this because Boo has been hinting that she would like to have people call her Liz or Lizzie... sigh).

On a personal level: I am very much in love with the Elizabethan era and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is one of my favorite stories.

Edited by piraterose

Ari Daniel: named, in a roundabout way, for DH's grandfather, who was named Leo/Hebrew name Ariyeh

Milo Joseph: I actually wanted Benedict for a middle name (long story; because he had kidney reflux and I was looking at lists of patron saints), but people talked me out of it. Milo we just like.

August David/Gus: my favorite full name to shorten to Gus. I've liked it ever since I read The People in Pineapple Place as a kid. I can pretend he's named after a slew of famous August/Auguste/Augustus/Augustines. David is DH's name. I suggested it with Ari, but he rejected it then. With Gus, he admitted that he'd been kind of disappointed he talked me out of it so easily earlier ;)

Samuel Edward - We have a friend named Samuel and Edward. We now wish we'd saved Edward for a first name.

Andrew James - We just liked Andrew (he's called Drew). James is my dad.

William Joseph - We liked William (he's Will). Joseph is dh's dad.

Margaret Elizabeth - I've always loved that name - Margaret. And I adore her nickname - Meg. Elizabeth is my middle name, my grandma's name, etc, etc, etc. It goes back generations.

David Zachary

Caleb Daniel

Jesse Robert

Ethan Wyatt

Kathryn Cecilia

Aaron Mathias

Tobias Xavier

Bridget Darling

Phoebe Noelle

Levi Thaddeus

ETA:

No family names

All boys first names are biblical

All girls first names are saints

None have the same first initial

LOVE these names!!! Especially Phoebe. I don't know why - just love it!

Sleepy

Dopey

Happy

Doc

and I can't remember the rest.

LOL

Spencer Alexander William (Alexander and William are the names of both our Dads and our paternal g-pas)

Xavier Edward Martin (Edward and Martin are our maternal g-pas)

Cordelia Elizabeth Ann (Elizabeth and Ann are our moms' names)

Lorelei Rebecca Mary (Rebecca and Mary are DH's sisters)

(I was told I could never have kids, so we thought DS8 was a fluke so we gave him lots of names. Apparently, I get pregnant anytime DH looks at me sideways and winks, so we have continued the tradition).

We just liked the boys' first names and DH liked Xavier because of Prof. Xavier in the X-Men from back when he was a kid. Cordelia is from Anne of Green Gables and I always wanted a little girl named Cordelia. I do love Buffy the Vampire Slayer and have had dogs names Willow and Riley, but she is not named after that character. Lorelei is after a German folk story I first heard when I was 16 and traveling in Germany and have always loved.

I never put my DD's name onto the internet.

I think that her privacy later in life might be important.

The internet is forever, you know.

I've actually stated all three of their real names on here before at various times, however I didn't want to put them all in one place. Hence my post:

Pigby-named after the pig. When he was about 3 or so he was giving some really wimpy hugs, so I kept saying, "Squeeze Pigby!" in my best Kristin Chenoweth voice.

Digby-since Pigby and Digby are best friends, it was just natural that he be Digby. Although "maniac" would be appropriate too :D

Chuck- I really wanted to name her Charlotte so we could have a girl named Chuck, but DH refused. Well, ha ha DH:tongue_smilie: I got my Chuck anyway. Even though I mostly refer to her as baby girl on these boards.

Nobody has said anything about it. I thought I was funny:tongue_smilie: Apparently, I'm not really. Or everyone thinks I really named my kids Pigby, Digby, and Chuck. That or nobody really reads each other's answers. I've only been skimming to see if anyone thought I was Hi.lar.i.ous. The answer is no, I'm not.:001_huh:

:lol:

Digby-since Pigby and Digby are best friends, it was just natural that he be Digby. Although "maniac" would be appropriate too.

25r30wi.gifanimated-smileys-laughing-010.gif25r30wi.gifanimated-smileys-laughing-010.gif25r30wi.gifanimated-smileys-laughing-010.gif

:D

Only one child.

Molly Catherine Linnea

Molly = because it's not a "*****y" name. Really. That's the reason. You just can't picture a "Molly" being nasty, can you? At least dh and I couldn't.

Catherine = my mother's middle name and her mother's first name. With a "C," NOT a "K" as is the more popular form.

Linnea = the flower of Smaland, Sweden, where my grandparents were born and raised. Pronounced <lin-NAY-uh>

astrid

I have a Molly Catherine, too! She was supposed to be a Cora, but my father was so vocal about his opposition to that name that I changed plans in the hours after she was born. Although I love the name, I have regretted not naming her Cora ever since. DDMolly doesn't like her name, unfortunately. :001_huh:

I also have a James Edward - James is my father's name, Edward is dh's middle name. Even before I became pregnant, I was convinced that I did NOT want a family name, but when I was pregnant with ds, my father was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease). It was such an emotional time, and I decided (with dh's agreement) to name baby after my father. I would have considered reversing my dad's name (from James Samuel to Samuel James), but my father was named after a stillborn older brother who was named Samuel James. So that name was not an option, and therefore, James it was.

And lastly, I have a Bridget Rose. I knew I did not want a common name (nothing in the top 100 names), but I did want an established name with a history. I love the history and meaning of Bridget. DS gave her the middle name Rose. Other names we considered were Evelyn and Lydia (especially Lydia).

If I'd had another boy, he'd have been named Benjamin. As it is, dh refers to my dSLR camera as Ben. :tongue_smilie:

Raziya Athena- I found 'Raziya' on a baby name site when I was pregnant and liked that it meant "good natured and agreeable." I hoped it would be a talisman against her inheriting her mother's disposition. Athena was a compromise. Dh wanted to call her 'Destiny' which I wouldn't have a bar of, so I went searching for names that meant destiny. I couldn't find any, so we figured the next best thing would be a name that would "help" (no, we don't really believe in this, but where's the harm?) her create her own. Athena is the goddess of war, wisdom and weaving, and we figured a good natured, agreeable daughter with wisdom, domestic skills and the ability to kick butt when necessary was the best we could do by her.

Marek Andrew- Most of the boy names I liked had already been used by our relatives, and I didn't want them thinking I named my kid after them, other than my brother Andrew, because I did name my kid after him. Marek was the only name left over, so luckily dh liked it too! It's Polish, which is nice because my grandfather was Polish. I couldn't name my kid after him though, because Aussie boys can't be called Jerzy. My grandfather always went by 'George' but if I called my boy George, he'd sound Greek, not Aussie. :lol: Marek means "warlike" which I'm sure all boys with older siblings need in their arsenal. Andrew apparently means 'manly' and my brother is an interesting being. Besides, Andrew is a more respectable name for an Aussie boy than Aurelius. Dh had been reading Marcus Aurelius' musings so I was afraid he'd want to use that as Marek's middle name.

Rosie

My dh and always struggled with girl names but boys would slip off our tongues like ice cream in the midst if june. not my kiddie names but i hoped for:

Marcus Xavier

Michael Andrew

Gabriel Alexander

For girls, my dh favors short names like eve and Mia, but I love the longer names:

Alexandria

Evangeline

Victoria

Catherine

No dimunitives or nicknames please. Plus, the longer names work so well when speaking firmly. Nothing like "Evangeline Victoria!" to send a shiver down the spine and let a dd know you're serious.

My daughter's name is Kimberly Michelle. Her middle name is the feminine version of two significant men. Her first name picked because it is a strong woman's name.

Her name was supposed to be Kirsten but my mom would not hear of it and I gave in. My second girl was name Kirsten because I was determined not to be bullied for such silly reasons the second time. That baby was a late m/c.

My son's name was Tyler Wayne (middle name the same as my husband). I always wanted my son named Tyler. We looked into all sorts of names where Tyler would be the middle name. Anyway, he changed his name last summer to Johnathan. I thought he would move the Tyler to his middle name but he had a great reason why that wasn't reasonable. So his name is now Johnathan Wayne. BTW, He had this name almost 6 months before someone pointed out, or at least I got, "the Duke" reference.

And we have new info that we may be naming three more sooner than we had hoped. We don't know whether we will be changing their names completely or using one of their names in their new full names. We have to figure based on a number of factors. But as if it isn't hard enough to pick one name for a baby with no known personality, we have to pick three names for children with pretty distinct personalities! WOW

I have a Molly Catherine, too! She was supposed to be a Cora, but my father was so vocal about his opposition to that name that I changed plans in the hours after she was born. Although I love the name, I have regretted not naming her Cora ever since. DDMolly doesn't like her name, unfortunately. :001_huh:

Oh that's too bad! I love the name Molly, and so does dd. We call her Molly Cate.

astrid

Rachel Anne--My Mom chose Rachel and Anne is my middle name

Melissa Marie--Marie is a family name--my husbands family is from Canada and they are all Marie.(Marie Claire, Marie Geraldine,....)

Jimmy Joseph Jr.-- after his Dad

Joseph Selah --Joseph was my husband and my grandfathers name and the Bible story of Joseph is one of hubby's favorites. Selah from the Bible to ponder/stop and think---and this guy is definately a thinker!!

Abigail Rose--from the Bible Abigail hastened and arose...

Susanna Mary--Susanna is a favorite of mine!(Susan is a dear friend of mine) Mary is my Mom's name.

Katherine Elizabeth--Dh chose her first name and I chose her middle name.:)

Noah Thomas--I just like the name Noah and the Biblical reference. Thomas is for my dh's best friend that had passed away.

Nicholas Simon--Just liked the name:)

Rachel Anne is my sister's name and Susan Mary is my MIL's.

Katherine Elizabeth on my list of girl names(if we ever actually have a girl that is)

Anna Kathryn

Emma Caroline

Cora Elizabeth

:D

I love their names Nakia! Anna Katherine is another one on my list (Katherine was my Nana's name)

Oh that's too bad! I love the name Molly, and so does dd. We call her Molly Cate.

astrid

A good friend of mine from nursing school had a daughter named Mollie Lenora Catherine. They called her Molly Cate. We call my Anna Kathryn Anna Kate a lot. :D

Rachel Anne is my sister's name and Susan Mary is my MIL's.

Katherine Elizabeth on my list of girl names(if we ever actually have a girl that is)

I love their names Nakia! Anna Katherine is another one on my list (Katherine was my Nana's name)

Thank you!

James Russell- He is a junior, plus James is my brother's middle name and Russell is FIL's first name.

Sean Francis- Sean was just a name we liked, Francis was my grandfather's middle name and dh's grandfather's first name.

Christopher Alan- Christopher was my father's name and Alan is dh's brother's middle name. Come to find out, Allen is a common name in my father's side of the family as well.

Paul Stephen

Lucy Christine

Jane Frances

Anne Rebecca

It wasn't until #4 that a friend mentioned that we picked another four letter first name. I never noticed it! I love all my kids names, but I am now annoyed that people think we pick four letter names on purpose.

Also, we do pray about our children's names. Interesting, my daughter Lucy (named for St. Lucy) ended up having emergency brain surgery when she was 12 weeks old - on the Feast of St. Lucy. And she has significant eye issues from her illness, and St. Lucy is the patron saint of eye patients.