Menu

What math is your gifted child using?

CarenM

This summer DD7 is using EPGY and Singapore Math. She's stronger in language than math and I would consider her more advanced vs. gifted in that area. In fall she attends Montessori school so we'll probably keep EPGY but move back to using more Montessori materials at home.

We used a mix of resources of which MEP, Life of Fred Fractions & Decimals/ Percents and Math Mammoth were the most successful. We also designed a lot of our own math problems and had him make up problems for us as well. At age 8, he began the Art of Problem Solving intro series. It's his favorite curriculum by far.

ETA: Key Curriculum Press's Key To workbooks for practice.

Edited by quark

We used a mix of resources of which MEP, Life of Fred Fractions & Decimals/ Percents and Math Mammoth were the most successful. We also designed a lot of our own math problems and had him make up problems for us as well.

We also used a mix: games, activities, picture books and our own versions of the math in the picture books, dd's own self-initiated activities and projects, Hands-On Equations, science using math at a young age (dh taught her about randomization of experiments), Marilyn Burns books, a homemade book of mathematical puzzles and riddles collected from various places, etc.

It was all cobbled together and not at all orderly. But dd loved math and transitioned effortlessly to a regular algebra textbook in 8th grade; she was ready earlier but I held off because I didn't want to go the textbook route so soon (she had visual processing issues until around age twelve).

She now uses Key Press's Discovering Mathematics series, her own choice. Dd tried AofPS, but as in all things it seems she defies the norms: for typical kids, gifted kids, and Aspies alike. She told me the AofP' authors "must be mental." Although she could do the problems, she didn't like the books. I have no clue why.

You are going to hear a chorus of "Singapore Primary Math with Challenging Word Problem and Intensive Practice books" if you are looking for the elementary crowd.

:iagree: I did a poll awhile back (during a "grass is greener" moment :D) and SM was clearly the most popular choice for kids ahead in elementary math.

We're still happy with Math Mammoth for now :)

If your child is into middle school math, then that would be a more complicated discussion.

What math is your gifted child using?

Any he can get his hands on.

Seriously, against the tide of popular opinion, he has used:

Saxon 54, 65, and most of 76

Kumon Math

Before Saxon 54 he did Miquon Book 1, MUS Alpha, and Singapore 1 & 2. He has also used some of the Key to books, Penrose the Mathematical Cat, and Hands on Equations.

Late spring he completed chapter 1 of Foerster's Algebra. I plan to start that up again next week and in September he will start Jacob's Mathematics: A Human Endeavor. He still does Kumon math. Since May, he has occassionally played on the Khan Academy exercise dashboard.

I am sure I've missed something.

Mandy

Whatever he finds sitting around ;)

Variously he uses Miquon, Singapore (I have 2a/b, 3a/b and 4a/b sitting around), some old school math text books from the 70s/80s, Dreambox math and Aleks, Kahn Academy and I'm keen to get Life of Fred for him. We're still at the "he's young, follow his lead" stage, so it's all here and he picks and chooses what he's interested in.

I am most comfortable using a curriculum and supplementing. For 9 yr old we use Horizons and Life of Fred supplemented with Challenge Math (by Zaccarro), Murderous Maths (Horrible Histories series), and other "living math" books we find.

While some answers on this board may sound like a lot, most of us don't use everything every day or even every week. By using different approaches I've seen that my kids completely understand math, not just when it's presented the same way it was in the book.

HTH,

Singapore Math Standards Edition, Primary Grade Challenge Math, and Life of Fred. We also play games which feature direct arithmetic practice, for example Monopoly. Since someone else brought up problem solving, he has done Building Thinking Skills through the end of the blue volume (not sure which it is, but it's the second big one after the red one) and we also have done tons of puzzles. I generally keep an eye out for "brain games" types of workbooks/pamphlets at the store, and if there are any thought-provoking puzzles I will buy the book and scan the good puzzles into separate worksheets.

Edited by Iucounu

You are going to hear a chorus of "Singapore Primary Math with Challenging Word Problem and Intensive Practice books" if you are looking for the elementary crowd.

This is what we use also. We supplement Singapore with AoPS Kitchen Table Math and any good living math books we can find.

I'm one of the very few who used Math-U-See and let him go at his own pace. He finished algebra last year and is starting on AOPS Intro to Counting and Probability this year. He was disappointed I didn't get Geometry, so he'll do MUS Geometry also. He'll probably finish both curricula by graduation.

I don't consider my son to be intuitively mathematic or particularly gifted in that area, but I guess he is about 2 years ahead in math so he must have some ability. We are using Singpaore with the Challenging Word Problems and Intensive Practice. We aren't quite ready for LoF, but I see that in our future. For now, he thoroughly enjoys the Brown Paper School Books about mathematical reasoning as well as the Murderous Math books are recreational reading. He's spent countless hours pouring over those books!

Singapore Primary Math with Challenging Word Problem For us too! We also recently added Life of Fred for fun.

Not sure if dd is 'gifted' or just an eager and quick learner...

We have used/are using a combo of:

SM

MM

TT (3-4 levels 'ahead')

LOF

Key To Fractions (this summer)

Khan Academy videos

CD/Prof Mosely lectures

Today we played RS fraction games for an hour.

We would die on the vine if we used the same materials day after day. I change things up as needed.

My HG ds (going into 6th)

Saxon K-2nd (no retention)

Singapore Math 1A-3B (some retention)

Math U See Alpha-Epsilon (no longer complains about math)

Life of Fred Fractions (just fun)

My 2E ds (going into 4th)

Singapore 1A-3B (pictures distracted him)

MUS Primer-Delta

My untested ds (going into 1st)

Singapore 1A-1B

MUS Primer-Alpha

My dd (going into K)

SM Earlybird series

Edited by nitascool

Yep!

After Singapore through 6B it's a harder choice IMHO. We are using Singapore NEM at the moment. AOPS is great but the workload is heavy for a young kid that isn't super motivated and focused. We may still switch.

Ditto but we actually just do the Workbook and Textbook. Tried MUS when he was 3 and it was fine but he hated manipulatives so quickly moved on. I'm thinking we'll move to LOF at some point.

Two are using a combo of Life of Fred/Khan Academy

One is using LOf/Khan/Singapore

One is using Singapore/Miquon and sometimes Khan, but probably not enough to count.

The Singapore kids generally just do the textbook, adding in the workbook as needed for practice, but no other supplements.

math mamoth, Life of Fred, and occaisionally TT (several levels "ahead"). Most happy with MM...but my most mathy one is only just turned 7, and I am a little "stuck" with the transition into alegebra for older....who is probably gifted (is in music, but otherwise hard to test) but has severe dyslexia and anxiety, so likes to really "understand" his math (as in, gets nervous with "problem solving" and is getting great grades in "pre-algebra" stuff, but totally stressed out!!!).

Erin

ditto - my dd 6 is doing the second grade book. She tends to zip through it, so the challenging problem book is great to go deeper. Also Singapore math doesn't have as much repetition as other math programs, which is great for the gifted crowd that gets bored with too much repetition.

I wrote my Math-U-See response in a hurry, and wanted to fill it out a bit ... I've seen a few references to gifted kids using MUS on some of my board searches lately, and most include the info. that MUS isn't usually recc. for gifted children. For those of us who like it, one important component is the visual simplicity (read: boringness!) of the materials. My son would carefully examine all aspects of a page, and anything with extraneous visual information made it impossible for him to focus on the "important" bits. Also the children can move forward quickly. I found the materials fairly easy to adapt to a non-reader, non-writer (when we started) and have progressed through mult.-digit addition and subtraction with my 5yo DS using 1-inch graph paper for the problems, as suggested by the program. And generally I've been able to adapt to the quirks of my little one. (I'd rather have been doing fingerpainting when he was three, but he was all for math. He's not a math prodigy (as in, extracting formulas & proofs for himself and calculating primes for fun), but he loves math and thrives when it's a regular part of our lives).

The drawbacks of MUS for me are the dominant use of American measurement standards, the imprecise phrasing of the word problems -- I often edit them, and esp. when he was quite young would change them to use the names of friends and familiar items -- and occasionally a given strategy for problem solving will simply not jive with my little one and we Adapt and Overcome. Finally, when we moved from Beta to Gamma there wasn't enough review of multiple-digit addition/subtraction and he lost some of those skills, so I now alternate leftover pages from Beta with his new Gamma work. He detests the manipulatives lately but it hasn't been a problem.

I did recently consider switching to Singapore on the advice of these boards, but must have misunderstood the placement tests because we ordered a level or two below his current skills. We're working through the text anyhow, to pick up the different perspective, and I may do the programs in tandem until his skill set matches up or just stick with MUS through fractions & algebra. At any rate, he declares that math is his favorite subject so something is working!

Maybe this will help someone deciding between options!

Edited by serendipitous journey

My son has a way above average IQ and I want him challenged.

Since we are new to this I am curious as to what others are using?

My son used Singapore, NEM, and then moved on to AoPS which has a fantastic forum for all kinds of resources.

If your son really starts enjoying math, you might want to see if your area has a math circle and/or year-round programs for kids. Many find math contests and math camps to be a lot of fun, too. IMO, these really help flesh out what's *missing* in typical math curricula.

If you need specific information about any of the above, feel free to ask.

First Singapore Math and as of 4th grade a combination of Singapore and EPGY.

We will try SM and EPGY combination for my 4th grader this year. In the past we had SM text, IP, CWP, Olympiad assignments from SM, MEP and Russian math ( Peterson's math). We are going to continue with Russian math for 4th grade and use only challenging problems from MEP.