Menu

s/o Craziest things strangers have said to you

And finally, the rudest thing ever said and not particularly funny, someone asked DH at work once how many children he had and he had replied with the number at the time - eight, seven living. So the woman wanted to know what happened to the one that wasn't living and he explained she had died when she was a baby from prematurity. The woman told him that no, she didn't "count." Um, really? :glare: DH told her that our Hannah did indeed very much "count" as she was very much alive, loved, and our daughter, but she then insisted that no she did not. DH walked away. Wow. Alrighty then. :001_huh:

Oh my word, I am so sorry. I can't believe she would say something so awful.:grouphug:

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my dd was almost completly bald until she was almost a year old. I got tired of all the "What a handsome little boy" so I started dressing her all in pink with a pink hair ribbon around her bald head and I still got "What a handsome boy" I wanted to say "Do you realy think I would dress a boy all in pink with a pink hair ribbon?"

My daughter is adopted from Guatemala. We brought her home when she was 6 months old. I was in Target a few days after getting home and was so exhausted. I could tell that an older lady was following me and looking and I kept thinking "why doesn't she just ask?"

In the mean time, another lady said "Oh your baby is beautiful. where is she from?". I said "Guatemala" then she asked me how we would understand her when she started to speak. I was confused at first then realized the lady thought she would speak spanish. I explained that she was only 6 months old and would learn english.

I walked away trying not laugh when the other lady..the stalker..appeared in front of me. She gave me a disapproving look then sort of grumbled out "is her father like a mexican or something?" I was irritated and really just wanted to buy diapers in peace. It wasn't my finest moment but I grumbled back "I really have no idea who her father is" then wandered away ...leaving the lady with her jaw on the floor.

I love it! What a great response! :lol:

We adopted our ds from Guatemala. Once while travelling with both my children, a lady next to me asked if we had adopted my ds. I said yes and she perked right up and said that a friend of hers adopted a puppy just a few weeks prior. :glare:

My daughter is adopted from Guatemala. We brought her home when she was 6 months old. I was in Target a few days after getting home and was so exhausted. I could tell that an older lady was following me and looking and I kept thinking "why doesn't she just ask?"

In the mean time, another lady said "Oh your baby is beautiful. where is she from?". I said "Guatemala" then she asked me how we would understand her when she started to speak. I was confused at first then realized the lady thought she would speak spanish. I explained that she was only 6 months old and would learn english.

I walked away trying not laugh when the other lady..the stalker..appeared in front of me. She gave me a disapproving look then sort of grumbled out "is her father like a mexican or something?" I was irritated and really just wanted to buy diapers in peace. It wasn't my finest moment but I grumbled back "I really have no idea who her father is" then wandered away ...leaving the lady with her jaw on the floor.

:lol::lol: I was checking out at Walmart and the cashier asked me who the daddy was. She was checking out my white, blond, blue eyed, Dh standing there. Our children are all African American. I was shocked so I just stood there with my mouth open and she says to dh, "Well Honey, how do you think that happened. Obviously not your genes?" DH grinned, "The milk man."

my dd was almost completly bald until she was almost a year old. I got tired of all the "What a handsome little boy" so I started dressing her all in pink with a pink hair ribbon around her bald head and I still got "What a handsome boy" I wanted to say "Do you realy think I would dress a boy all in pink with a pink hair ribbon?"

nm

These are so funny!

When I was a bank teller, we had a regular customer in his mid-50's and was developmentally disabled. One day, he came into the bank wearing a ball cap with a slogan I liked. I said, "Hey, I like your cap!" He was immediately enamored with me (I was 19). Ever since that day, whenever he would come into the bank, he would call out, as loud as he could, so the entire bank could hear (including my bosses) "YOU'RE LOOKING GOOOOOOD!"

:svengo:

I transferred to another branch-just to get away.

I was surprised by how many people thought my dd was a boy, too. All in pink with hair bows, and she even had a lot of hair. Even crazier, for me, though was the woman who complimented me on my "how nice" it is that I have a "half-ch*nk baby".

Good grief. Did you tell her it was so nice to meet a half-wit lady?

Older dd gets asked if she dyes her hair all the time, too. It gets worse as she gets older because they don't seem to believe she doesn't. It's very strange how some act around redheads.

I think a lot of people just don't know what red hair looks like. My dd decided she "needed" red hair when she was in middle school. I wasn't going to die on that hill, so we did a home dye job. She loved it- but it did not look natural. AT ALL.

People were continually commenting on her lovely red hair. "Was your husband a red-head?"

Here's a bad one-

A year after I was widowed, a woman at dd's school (whom I had known for 5 years, and was a customer of mine...) was trying to get me to go on a school trip to Washington DC as a chaperone.

I told her, no- I needed to stay home with my youngest. She said, "That's what husbands are for!"

I gave her a blank look for a while, but obviously she was clueless. What could I do? I said, "Actually, my husband passed away a year ago yesterday."

As I recall she apologized profusely and crawled under a rock.

I had a stranger come up to me in a grocery store and tell me there was something was wrong with my baby. He was a tiny newborn, but smaller than most newborns. I told her he was fine and the doctor said he was fine. She didn't believe me.

Another stranger while waiting in a doctor's office caught my younger son "reading" the exit sign. My son was 3 at the time, but he looked older. She started talking to me and asked what grade he was in. I told her he wasn't in school yet and that he was 3. She got a disgusted look on her face and started ranting about the growth hormone in cow's milk.

Too small. Too big. Can't win :tongue_smilie:

I was surprised by how many people thought my dd was a boy, too. All in pink with hair bows, and she even had a lot of hair. Even crazier, for me, though was the woman who complimented me on my "how nice" it is that I have a "half-ch*nk baby".

When my nephew was a baby she took her kids to the swimming pool. Afterward she was giving her baby a quick rinse in a big sink in the changing room while the older kids showered off. A lady looked at him there in the sink, STARK NAKED with all his little boy parts hanging out on display, and said, "What a pretty little girl!"

My DH is Korean and I am white and ODS happened to look quite Korean as a baby. Well, I was out shopping at Whole Foods with him when he was perhaps 7-8 months old and a random gentleman walked by us and told me "good for you." For the life of me, I couldn't figure out WTH he meant by that. My best guess is that he thought DS was adopted (otherwise he just thought it was fantastic that I was buying organic.)

Another time I was out picking up food at Panda Express with the same son and the woman helping us looked at me and said "That looks like an Asian baby." I kind of sputtered "well, he is an Asian baby" and left it at that. I guess he looks more bi-racial now because I haven't gotten any comments in quite awhile :D

I love it! What a great response! :lol:

We adopted our ds from Guatemala. Once while travelling with both my children, a lady next to me asked if we had adopted my ds. I said yes and she perked right up and said that a friend of hers adopted a puppy just a few weeks prior. :glare:

When my brother died last year I had to rush to Ontario for the service and to help my SIL. I was there for two weeks and missed my Girl Guides meetings (I'm a leader). When I got back the girls asked me where I'd been so I explained. When I was done one nodded understandingly and said, "My hamster died."

Totally different situation though when it's a 9 year old kid. I thought it was sort of cute and I think it gave me much a much needed laugh. :)

My youngest daughter was born with a clubfoot which was treated with casting as an infant. Her first cast went on when she was just 10 days old. Throughout her infancy, we dealt with many accusatory stares etc as if we had broken her leg. We did get one, "What happened to her?" said in the most judgmental voice possible. At this point, I just wanted to scream, "She made me mad so I snapped her leg in two" but of course, I didn't. I politely explained that she had been born with a birth defect.

My daughter (now 3) was born with hip dysplasia and had to wear a cast from her toes to her chest from three to six months old. I had a FEW people ask, "Did her brothers do something to her?" :glare:

On the other hand, I say a baby in Target once who had a cast on her feet that looked like my daughter's cast had. She was covered with a blanket over her body though so I didn't see that the cast was only on her legs and didn't go all the way up to her chest. Anyways, I think I acted a little too excited (because I didn't know anyone else with a baby with hip dysplasia in a cast) when I asked if she had hip dysplasia and showed the parents my own daughter in her cast. They weren't excited and explained that their own child had club feet. I can see them writing about the encounter on this sort of thread. :blush:

And finally, the rudest thing ever said and not particularly funny, someone asked DH at work once how many children he had and he had replied with the number at the time - eight, seven living. So the woman wanted to know what happened to the one that wasn't living and he explained she had died when she was a baby from prematurity. The woman told him that no, she didn't "count." Um, really? :glare: DH told her that our Hannah did indeed very much "count" as she was very much alive, loved, and our daughter, but she then insisted that no she did not. DH walked away. Wow. Alrighty then. :001_huh:

Many of the stories in this thread have made me laugh, but this one almost made me cry. How awful. :grouphug: I am so sorry that your husband, and you, had to hear something so hurtful. I can't even comprehend someone saying this the first time, but to keep insisting? Lord have mercy.

I don't have any weird comments from people. I did have one lady ask me if dd was my daughter or granddaughter. Dd was 9 or so and I was 41ish.

The only other was the woman I'd just met who told me that if she had to homeschool her children she would drown them in the tub. Six months later the children were taken by CPS.

When my brother died last year I had to rush to Ontario for the service and to help my SIL. I was there for two weeks and missed my Girl Guides meetings (I'm a leader). When I got back the girls asked me where I'd been so I explained. When I was done one nodded understandingly and said, "My hamster died."

Totally different situation though when it's a 9 year old kid. I thought it was sort of cute and I think it gave me much a much needed laugh. :)

Aw, I think that her comment was kind of sweet. She showed empathy the only way she knew how.

When ds17 was a baby, I sent out birth announcements with his picture. He had a full head of dark hair and it was long. My girlfriend called me after she received it and laughed hysterically that I had put a wig on him for the picture and asked where his Elvis costume was (he was born a couple days before Halloween.) She did not believe that that was his real hair until she saw him in person. Her babies were cue-ball bald until they were nearly 2 and she had never seen babies with hair.

I would dress him up in boy clothes - anything with a sports theme, Lil' Slugger - you name it. Because he had adorable curls, everyone commented on what a cute little girl I had.

Some of my favorite random comments have happened at the grocery store.

Once, upon discovering that we homeschool, a woman asked me; "Aren't you afraid your children will become mentally ill from spending so much time with you?"

Another time I was in the store with a toddler. My children all have white blond hair. My hair is dark blond and my DH is bright red. A woman followed me down the aisle and commented on my daughter's hair. She said; "Does she get that from your husband?" When I told her he has red hair, she replied; "Oh maybe someone else is the daddy, then."

One Saturday I was waiting outside the grocery store for DH. We were using the divide & conquer method of errand running. I had done the grocery shopping and he was at the home improvement store a couple blocks away. I had a screaming infant, a tantrum throwing toddler and an older child. A woman approached me and asked me how long I had been homeless and could she take my kids into the store and buy them a treat. Not my finest hour.

I am always amazed at what people will say.

Amber in SJ

Dd7 has very curly hair. Ever since she was 4 (when her hair started to grow), people ask me if her hair is natural or if I perm it. I want to say "Yes, I perm my 4 yr. olds hair, so that we can match." :001_huh: I guess there are people that would perm a child's hair.

We just had some people we barely know ask if they could borrow our brand new rv for a week. I wanted to say "Would you like to borrow our house also?".

I was trying to find a leotard for my daughter to use during gymnastics class. I tried four local stores with no luck and in the fifth, I was happy (at first) when the saleslady said, "Oh, yes, they're over here..."

But then she pretended to lead me over to a section of tights and leggings.

"No, I mean, I need a leotard, not tights," I said, gesturing along my body to show I wanted something that you wore on your whole body.

"Ohhhh," a "LEOTARD" she said, nodding her head. "No, we don't have those. I thought you meant a leoTART."

:confused::lol:

When my youngest ds was a toddler a few ppl would ask me if he was half Mexican (b/c of his dark hair/eyes/skin). I would reply, "No, but his father is part Syrian." Well, one lady would always INSIST that I was incorrect and she just *knew* he was half Mexican. I finally stopped arguing with her and let her think she was right.

I am loving this thread btw. Some stories are giving me belly laughs, while others are leaving me shaking my head.

I thought of another couple of weird ones.

When ds was three he figured out how to read, pretty much on his own. One lady heard him reading something aloud one day when we were out (a sign or a label or something, I forget) and asked how old he was. When I said he was three, she asked where he went to preschool. I told her he didn't go to preschool, he just stayed home with me. The woman looked HORRIFIED! Her eyes bulged. She gasped. She stammered a little. And then in sort of a strangled sounding voice she said, "Well you HAVE to PUT him in preschool! A child THAT obviously smart should NOT be at home with YOU!" Gasp! Hard breathing. (She didn't even KNOW me! And funny how she'd been so impressed with the results of his preschool education until she found out his MOTHER was responsible. Sheesh!)

Before that, though, when ds was a toddler we moved across town and started attending church at a different ward. The ladies in charge of the Relief Society (women's organization) came over one day to get to know me. We had a lovely little friendly chat and then one of them, in a sort of hesitant, "I-don't-want-to-offend-but..." tone of voice, asked me how old I was. I wasn't sure why that mattered but, as I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, I have always looked younger than my actual age so I smiled and asked her how old she THOUGHT I was. She hesitated, looked me up and down and guessed (in a tone that said, "I'm guessing on the high side here because you have a two-year old and I don't want to think about THAT if you're younger than this..) maybe eighteen? I laughed and told her I was twenty-seven. She looked (disproporitionately to the situation, I thought) both surprised and relieved, and I asked her why she asked. She said that well, people at church had been talking about us. Dh had mentioned that he was a professor at the college and they figured to be a full professor he HAD to be at LEAST 35 or so. And I looked so young that they'd all thought he had married a student or something. It was quite the cradle-robbing scandal. (That was the weirdest, most gossipy ward I have EVER lived in--bunch of elderly ladies with nothing to do.) I thought it was hysterical, and honestly I was glad she asked because now she could report back to the gossips that not only was I 27, but dh was really only 28, not 35. But what a bizarre conversation...lol.

Also, although I was very blonde as a child, my hair is now nearly black (well, except for the white ones...lol). Dh and ds also both have quite dark hair, but dd is blonde like I was as a child. This has drawn some interesting comments from people as well. I like telling them it must have been something in the local water supply that made her blonde because we live in an area that was settled by tall, thin, blonde scandanavians and we're short, dark Scottish types. But really there are lots of blonde-haired, blue-eyed people on my side of the family, and lots of the dark-haired ones among us were blonde as children. She fits in fine with our gene pool, you just can't tell by looking at her.

And then.. my youngest sister-in-law is half Bolivian. She has dark hair and gorgeous cafe' au lait skin and brown eyes, but her dad is blonde and blue-eyed. My brother sports a nice tan and has dark hair too, but he has the same hidden blonde/blue genes that I do. Their first baby is extremely pale skinned, very blonde, and has the most piercing blue eyes. He's a gorgeous little guy but doesn't look a thing like either of his parents. They get some interesting feedback too. And his little brother looks very Bolivian. Gene pools are interesting things, that's for sure.

Edited by MamaSheep

A few weeks ago I was at my dd's ballet class. I never go because my mom takes her for me, so I don't know all the kids there. I saw one girl there who happened to be Asian, but all I noticed was that her leotard had a bow on it and the other girls' didn't. I had a little chat with a guy who turned out to be her dad. I asked which kids were his, and he gestured toward his son and daughter. Like an idiot, I said, "Oh, the one with the bow on her leotard?" ('Cause I'd been staring at it.) And he got a little miffed, and said, "Yeah... she's the only Asian girl in the room." I wanted to crawl under the couch. But I tried to explain that I know so many families with adopted kids that I try not to assume which kid goes with which parent anymore. It didn't seem to help.

On a side note, some friends of ours are a mixed-race couple -- he's Korean, she's a redhead. One of their kids has red hair, like his mom. Have you ever seen a redheaded Korean baby? CUTEST. THING. EVER.

Well, when dd was about a year and a half old, I took her to Wal Mart and was walking into the garden department from the parking lot. I had her sitting in the seat of a cart. A man came up to us and commented on dd's blond hair. I don't recall exactly what he said. Then he asked if she got it from my dh. I said no-dh has brown hair. Well, I have brown hair also, so the man starts asking me "who it was?":001_huh: Was it the milkman or the mailman? I start pushing my cart quickly away and I still here him loudly talking about the milkman/mailman.

It was creepy.

Not a stranger, but one of my friends.

I was speaking to a new aquaintance, and said, "DH and I have two kids."

Friend spoke up and said, "No, DH and you have one kid."

"We have two kids, P and S."

"No, you and DH have S. P isn't his kid."

I just sort of stared at him, I think. Then I managed to inform him that P is indeed my DH's child.

When I was in college and doing an internship in the city, I had a crazy homeless lady hit me on the arm with her purse and say, "Hey Jackie Onassis! How much did you make with your hole today?"

I was completely stunned.

hahaha-024.gif

Oh, my goodness. I can't quit laughing.

My is not super funny or anything, but aggravated me a bit.

I was at Hobby Lobby the other day and I had my youngest with me. He was being a usual 6 year old boy rowdy and full of energy.

I call out his name a few times and tell him to stop.

The cashier states his name is Seven?

I stated yes.

She says with a nasty look on her face WHY?

I was pretty thrown by the comment and stated " Because there are way too many Johns, Joes, Mikes and Marys" (throwing in the name from her name tag).

The other time was my son not a stranger.

I was at a grocery store my son yet again full of energy and craziness I call out his name a few times. Well the checker we had asks if he heard me correctly and I stated yes. He said wow, my daughters name is Seven also. I will have to tell my wife.

Well I left the store. On my way home I called Dh and told him that I ran into someone with a child with the same name. Well in the store my son did not here the conversation, but heard me talking to dh.

He tells me why the most serious face and stern voice. "Mom my dad wants me to be a one of a kind, now I am a two of a kind. Change my name to Eight".

I had to pull over the truck I could not stop laughing.

Well, it wasn't what she said...

I was at the library one day and had a stack of books I had selected in my arms, all mysteries, the only fiction I regularly indulge in. This lady started following me around talking to me, asking questions like, "Do you like SciFi? How about Fantasy?" and generally going on about different authors she liked. I was trying my best to give her a polite brush-off, but she wouldn't take the hint. I should have just walked off, but there was one more book on my list I was trying to find despite the interruptions. When I spotted the book I wanted on the top shelf, I set the stack I was holding down to reach it. The lady picked up my top two books, said, "I haven't read these," and walked off with them.

My mother is a walking font of WTH? moments.

When my husband and I had been dating for a year or so, I mentioned his parents were going to Egypt. Her response: "Why? Are they black?" There is simply no way to answer this question while trying to figure out how she arrived there.

Years later, everyone came to our house for Easter and my SIL was saying how one of the kid's (in her class) mom had come in to talk about the Passover Seder. My mother jumps in with the train-of-thought wreck du jour, "Oh, E! I didn't know you were Jewish!" My SIL - clearly more clever than I - doesn't miss a beat and comes back with "Yep. We're a bunch of black Jews. Sammy Davis, Jr. is our uncle."

My mother also called my husband, when I was on bed rest for cervical funneling when I was pregnant with the boys and insisted - DEMANDED! - he take me out dancing for my birthday. She was sure they'd let me out of bed, since it was a special occasion. (Which has some bearing on my cervix in what way?) Also, she has evidently not met me because I don't dance.

Of course, she may have had me confused with someone else... I called her once and said, "Hi, Mom, I just got your message...yadda, yadda" and she asked who this was. Uh, I'm an only child? :001_huh:

Once, upon discovering that we homeschool, a woman asked me; "Aren't you afraid your children will become mentally ill from spending so much time with you?"

Is THAT what causes it? :blink: (We need a smilie with a tic)

A few weeks ago I was at my dd's ballet class. I never go because my mom takes her for me, so I don't know all the kids there. I saw one girl there who happened to be Asian, but all I noticed was that her leotard had a bow on it and the other girls' didn't. I had a little chat with a guy who turned out to be her dad. I asked which kids were his, and he gestured toward his son and daughter. Like an idiot, I said, "Oh, the one with the bow on her leotard?" ('Cause I'd been staring at it.) And he got a little miffed, and said, "Yeah... she's the only Asian girl in the room." I wanted to crawl under the couch. But I tried to explain that I know so many families with adopted kids that I try not to assume which kid goes with which parent anymore. It didn't seem to help.

On a side note, some friends of ours are a mixed-race couple -- he's Korean, she's a redhead. One of their kids has red hair, like his mom. Have you ever seen a redheaded Korean baby? CUTEST. THING. EVER.

Wait, wait wait!!! I read that for a child to be red headed BOTH parents have to have a red head gene somewhere! Was the father full Korean? Can that be possible to be full Korean and have a redhead gene in the gene pool?

Wait, wait wait!!! I read that for a child to be red headed BOTH parents have to have a red head gene somewhere! Was the father full Korean? Can that be possible to be full Korean and have a redhead gene in the gene pool?

Not really. I know of a mom who is white with red hair and an African American husband and they have dark skinned red heads.

Also my sister has dirty blond hair and no one in my family has red hair, her babies daddy is a full blown red head and their baby has just as red hair.

Not really. I know of a mom who is white with red hair and an African American husband and they have dark skinned red heads.

Also my sister has dirty blond hair and no one in my family has red hair, her babies daddy is a full blown red head and their baby has just as red hair.

But, but but....I read it in a book all about red heads! :001_huh: Are you saying something I read in a book might not be true?

Dd7 has very curly hair. Ever since she was 4 (when her hair started to grow), people ask me if her hair is natural or if I perm it. I want to say "Yes, I perm my 4 yr. olds hair, so that we can match." :001_huh: I guess there are people that would perm a child's hair.

When my nephew was 2 his very blond hair suddenly became quite curly, as well. People would ask my sister if it was a perm...because, you know, not only is it common to give a 2-YEAR-OLD a perm, but a 2-year-old BOY. :001_huh:

My mother is a walking font of WTH? moments.

When my husband and I had been dating for a year or so, I mentioned his parents were going to Egypt. Her response: "Why? Are they black?" There is simply no way to answer this question while trying to figure out how she arrived there.

Years later, everyone came to our house for Easter and my SIL was saying how one of the kid's (in her class) mom had come in to talk about the Passover Seder. My mother jumps in with the train-of-thought wreck du jour, "Oh, E! I didn't know you were Jewish!" My SIL - clearly more clever than I - doesn't miss a beat and comes back with "Yep. We're a bunch of black Jews. Sammy Davis, Jr. is our uncle."

My mother also called my husband, when I was on bed rest for cervical funneling when I was pregnant with the boys and insisted - DEMANDED! - he take me out dancing for my birthday. She was sure they'd let me out of bed, since it was a special occasion. (Which has some bearing on my cervix in what way?) Also, she has evidently not met me because I don't dance.

Of course, she may have had me confused with someone else... I called her once and said, "Hi, Mom, I just got your message...yadda, yadda" and she asked who this was. Uh, I'm an only child? :001_huh:

Most of the stories in this thread have me cracking-up but these are soooo funny.:lol::lol::lol:

"Originally Posted by Scarlett

Also my sister has dirty blond hair and no one in my family has red hair, her babies daddy is a full blown red head and their baby has just as red hair."

Somewhere in their gene pool there is a red hair. Just because no one remembers doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's not like interracial relationships were all that accepted in the past, or even relationships, kwim.

http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=245

~Cari

Edited by CariS
grabbed the wrong quote sorry

My is not super funny or anything, but aggravated me a bit.

I was at Hobby Lobby the other day and I had my youngest with me. He was being a usual 6 year old boy rowdy and full of energy.

I call out his name a few times and tell him to stop.

The cashier states his name is Seven?

I stated yes.

She says with a nasty look on her face WHY?

I was pretty thrown by the comment and stated " Because there are way too many Johns, Joes, Mikes and Marys" (throwing in the name from her name tag).

The other time was my son not a stranger.

I was at a grocery store my son yet again full of energy and craziness I call out his name a few times. Well the checker we had asks if he heard me correctly and I stated yes. He said wow, my daughters name is Seven also. I will have to tell my wife.

Well I left the store. On my way home I called Dh and told him that I ran into someone with a child with the same name. Well in the store my son did not here the conversation, but heard me talking to dh.

He tells me why the most serious face and stern voice. "Mom my dad wants me to be a one of a kind, now I am a two of a kind. Change my name to Eight".

My nephew was alllllmost named Seven. At the last minute his parents changed their minds. His middle name is Red, though. Everyone tries to make it Reed when they read it or write it, and some refuse to believe it is actually Red.

Also about names, when we called people after our first DD was born, my aunt asked her name and then blurted out, "Is that negotiable?" No, not unless you're her father! And when filling out the birth certificate paperwork, one nurse asked multiple times if we were "at least going to spell it a cute way".

Edited by SunD

Seriously. While shopping for shoes. Some guy I didn't know asked if I had "more" (fetus' apparently) and abort some. Then when touring a old Mission, a guy in the book store told me how great it was that I hadn't aborted my twins. So creepy. I was 30, married, ordinary, nothing about me that would make you think a pregnancy would be inconvenient. So weird from a total stranger as a conversation opener. I mean, where you do go from there?

My all time favorite, though, was a cute, sweet comment from a kid who saw my 7 month old twins in their DOC band "molding caps" (treating congenital torticollis"). He asked, "What sport do they play?" lol. They couldn't even crawl yet. So so cute and sweet

Somewhere in their gene pool there is a red hair. Just because no one remembers doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's not like interracial relationships were all that accepted in the past, or even relationships, kwim.

http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=245

~Cari

Sorry Scarlet! I stand corrected. Somewhere I guess there was a red head.

We moved to a suburb of Boston right before DD was born. After we'd lived there for 10 years, we were outside standing beside our next door neighbors. I had never spoken to them because I never saw them outside. Everyone was waiting to find out what had happened when lightning struck another house, and the entire police and fire department showed up.

(What happened was nothing -- the power went out and fried the guy's computer.)

I mentioned to the neighbor that my kids had learned their colors because of her son's blue car, which the boys loved back when they were around 2 years old. The lady said, "What!?! All these years I thought you were running a daycare center over there! Are all those children yours?"

All those children! There are 4 of them: triplets + 1. The lady had twins + 2 that were all close in age.

Then there was the time I was wheeling DS1, in a baby carriage, into the doctor's office. A lady asked me how old he was. Three months. He's so tiny to be so old, she said. I replied that he had been born 3 months early, and his age adjusted for prematurity was one week. She said, Oh my goodness! He looks so Awake and Alive to have been born so early!

Then there was the time DH and our nanny, a 68 year old woman who definitely looked her age, took our boys to the pediatrician. I was at home with DD, who had just been born. The nurse ushers the 5 of them into an exam room and asks our nanny, "Are you their mother?".

Edited by RoughCollie

Well I had just the opposite problem. Everyone thought my ds was a girl. He had only a tiny amount white fluff where hair should be. I had a woman in the grocery store come up and tell me how beautiful my daughter was. I said, thank you, but it's a boy. She shook her head adamantly and said, "No, she is far too beautiful to be a boy." :001_huh:

Seriously. While shopping for shoes. Some guy I didn't know asked if I had "more" (fetus' apparently) and abort some. Then when touring a old Mission, a guy in the book store told me how great it was that I hadn't aborted my twins. So creepy. I was 30, married, ordinary, nothing about me that would make you think a pregnancy would be inconvenient. So weird from a total stranger as a conversation opener. I mean, where you do go from there?

Maybe they're coming from the opposite POV. Anti-abortion and inserting that into the conversation. Either way, creepy. Pro or anti, it's a private matter.

Ha! :tongue_smilie: Our oldest homeschooling friends have a daughter named Seven. You guys should have a Seven Club.