Menu

avoiding bathing suits ...

okay, there's at least three shallow reasons to avoid them (1. figure; 2. bikini line bumps; 3. varicose veins -- oh, the glamour! and with one income, there's no laser treatment headed my way) but I'm moving toward more modest dress and that's a real one, too. What do y'all do for getting the tiny ones swimming if you dress modestly?

We are very modest here. I have four girls and we all wear swim trunks, bikini or tankini tips with a t shirt (usually one of those quick dry shirts) o Er it. Not only is it good for modesty but great for sunscreen as well. Plus it is a lot cheaper than some of the modesty suits!

The boys wear trunks and a tee

My 11yo daughter wears swim trunks, a sports bra, and a dark UV shirt. I don't really have a problem with her wearing a one piece but she HATES swim suits so much. This is the only thing we've ever been able to get her to wear.

I like the trunks & suit top with a T idea; that would fit in well around here, which is very outdoorsy ... the swimdress at Macy's is very cute!

thanks for the ideas, which are more what I was hoping for than the official modesty suits. I'm afraid my lack of swimwear had kept me from getting the little ones in the water this year! If I can find components at Zappos I'll be set for water next week, and feel like a Better Mama :)

My dd and I both wear a top and a swim skirt. She has a rash guard and then a "skirtini" bottom to which I added some length (it was TINY and barely covered her butt!). Now it's about mid-thigh. I wear a t-shirt and swim skirt with a one piece underneath.

We all wear boys swim shorts. The girls wear a sports bra with a swim/rash guard shirt. I am fair skinned and burn so very easily, so I recently bought a long sleeve rash guard shirt with UV protection. I look silly, and it's hot when I'm not in the water, but I'm happy when I'm done swimming because I have no sunburn!

Do the public pools allow t-shirts everywhere else?? They aren't allowed around here. The policy specifically states:

"Actual swim attire is required. Garment must be manufactured as swim wear made of 100% nylon and be close fitting."

So, I think you could probably get away with the rash guards, but it always surprises me when I see people say they wear t-shirts. I often wish we could, because DS is so fair skinned!

Do the public pools allow t-shirts everywhere else?? They aren't allowed around here. The policy specifically states:

"Actual swim attire is required. Garment must be manufactured as swim wear made of 100% nylon and be close fitting."

So, I think you could probably get away with the rash guards, but it always surprises me when I see people say they wear t-shirts. I often wish we could, because DS is so fair skinned!

Haven't seen signs like that before. My home-designed swim attire is made of synthetic fabrics, from pieces purchased a la carte in the athletics wear department: longer-length bike shorts + short-sleeved t-shirt over an athletic bra. Looks like a "came together as a set" outfit. Never have been questioned about its legitimacy for swim wear.

Rash guards and board shorts or men's swim trunks--modest and appropriate.

I reviewed swimwear marketed as modest a couple of years ago and I wondered about being able to actually swim in it and whether it was safe. More fabric will weigh you down and can actually restrict movement. Billowy fabric in water is a very bad idea. YMMV

I wear a Land's End swim shirt and swim skirt over my suit. I look modest in that I am fully covered and am not drawing unnecessary attention to myself. I feel comfortable to play with the kids and because all the materials are made for water they don't cling to me like cotton would. I highly recommend Land's End stuff - cute and completely able to be much more modest than 99% of other available suits (without going Wholesomewear - which may be what you are looking for).

I wear a Land's End swim shirt and swim skirt over my suit. I look modest in that I am fully covered and am not drawing unnecessary attention to myself. I feel comfortable to play with the kids and because all the materials are made for water they don't cling to me like cotton would. I highly recommend Land's End stuff - cute and completely able to be much more modest than 99% of other available suits (without going Wholesomewear - which may be what you are looking for).

I was just looking at those last night -- I'm not particularly worried about modesty, and I wear a regular one-piece suit for my own indoor swimming workouts, but I've started taking the kids to an outdoor pool and the additional sun protection along with the bikini line concealment are both quite appealing. I noticed a woman at the pool yesterday wearing a swim skirt and she looked quite cute.

I'm guessing that's a pretty vintage rule, or written by someone who doesn't know much about swimwear. Nowadays, you can't find swimwear that doesn't contain lycra/spandex, usually somewhere between 2% and 10%.

A rashie/rash guard (or nylon/lycra athletic T), a nylon/lycra sports bra, and a skirtini or board shorts works just fine and doesn't stand out too much. Even Target now carries rashies, at least for the kiddos.

Just going out on a limb here, but if one is all covered up at the pool or beach, thus standing out and looking differently than everyone else there, isn't that pretty much the exact opposite of modesty?

Just a thought. :)

I see where you are going with this, but not really. If you were at a nude beach with 9 naked women and one in shorts and a t-shirt, would you be staring at the one clothed?

Just going out on a limb here, but if one is all covered up at the pool or beach, thus standing out and looking differently than everyone else there, isn't that pretty much the exact opposite of modesty

I agree.

I wear sporty swim shorts (above the knee, but not by much) and a sporty tankini from Lands End. When we went to Hawaii, I felt like I fit right in. Many women had swim shirts or various versions of swim skirts or swim shorts.

We went to a pool recently that had 2 girls in modesty suits. Sleeves to the elbow, skirts past the knee. I thought they stood out far more than a swim shirt/swim short combo would. But, if religious doctrine dictates not showing elbow or knee or collarbone, not sure there is a way to blend in.

I wear a rash guard - but out of a desire to avoid the chemicals and because pulling on a rash guard is ten times quicker than spreading sunscreen anyway.

Our pool really strictly enforces the "no street clothes" rule. In fact, because we all wear rash guards, I've now been semi in the middle of an argument about the rules twice now, when people got confrontational with the pool staff because we were allowed to leave on our "shirts" (rash guards) but others were forced to remove theirs (T-shirts).

okay, there's at least three shallow reasons to avoid them (1. figure; 2. bikini line bumps; 3. varicose veins -- oh, the glamour! and with one income, there's no laser treatment headed my way) but I'm moving toward more modest dress and that's a real one, too. What do y'all do for getting the tiny ones swimming if you dress modestly?

I wear a solid color one-piece with swim shorts. I'm not overly modest on the top, but I wouldn't swim without my shorts! DH wears a t-shirt and trunks in the pool and the boys wear trunks and rash guards.

PS - Love your boys' names! ;)

It's SO hard to find a modest swimsuit! I found something a couple years ago at JC Penny that I love! It's a tank top style top with swim shorts. Very comfy and covers everything that I want to cover. :001_smile: My oldest daughter wears a tankini top and boy shorts.

We went to a pool recently that had 2 girls in modesty suits. Sleeves to the elbow, skirts past the knee. I thought they stood out far more than a swim shirt/swim short combo would. But, if religious doctrine dictates not showing elbow or knee or collarbone, not sure there is a way to blend in.

:iagree: My rashguard/skirted bottom works really well on the beach and no one has ever given me a second look except to ask where I bought something.

If you have to cover elbows and knees, I'd go with a long sleeve rashguard. They're fine to swim or play in the waves. If you can wear culottes, maybe extra long board shorts would be okay instead of a modesty suit. Those look so hard to swim in.

Eastern Mountain Sports has these on sale right now:

Rash guard: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4460872&cp=3677318.11526247.11526227

Trunks: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4434434&cp=3677318.11526247.11526221

I just bought them this week and I LOVE them. The shirt is quick-drying and both have an SPF of 30. FWIW, a white dry, white tshirt has an SPF of 7, so a tightly-woven swim shirt with an SPF rating is really the best way to go.

http://www.skincancer.org/sun-protective-clothing.html

I purchase outfits that are more designed for "working out".

My latest one is all black and looks more like a tennis outfit! It is breathable, comfortable and covers me up and looks great for swimming....I also wear an old bra under the workout outfits and nobody knows.

I wear swim shorts, a high necked tankini top, and a rash guard.

As for the t-shirt rule, our pool allows t-shirts in the shallow end but not the deep end. A number of years ago dh got into a heated discussion with the lifeguard and then management because we insisted ds's rash guard was not a t-shirt. It is funny now. My kids were the first to wear rash guards at the pool and now a lot of kids wear them. We were trendsetters.

We all wear boys swim shorts. The girls wear a sports bra with a swim/rash guard shirt. I am fair skinned and burn so very easily' date=' so I recently bought a long sleeve rash guard shirt with UV protection. I look silly, and it's hot when I'm not in the water, but I'm happy when I'm done swimming because I have no sunburn![/quote']

This is what I wear as well- swim trunks, rash guard and sports bra. Works great, is actual swimwear, but doesn't stand out too much or compromise safety.

As a child, my parents had us wear tshirts and shorts over our swimwear in public, and it was definitely an encumbrance to wear a t-shirt while swimming. Looking back, it does not seem safe at all. Plus, coming out of the water, all modesty was lost with the equivalent of a wet tshirt contest.

I'd love to wear a rash guard and board short BUT do yo wear a bra underneath? I am, um, full figured. I have a pricey one piece that girds me for battle so to speak and I wear a cover up out of the water but I'd love something sporty.

I wear a comfy sports bra under my rash guard. Works great!

Edited by scrappyhappymama
Some things should be addressed privately.

My oldest daughter ordered a swimsuit from http://www.modestlyyoursswimwear.com in the spring before a trip to FL. I was a bit skeptical but she loves it and is so comfortable in it. I'm sure it wouldn't work well for a serious swimmer but for recreational swimming it has been fine. I ordered and received mine a few weeks ago and it's the first time in years I've looked forward to heading out on vacation. Not frumpy at all, very well made and flattering.

I don't know how to quote TNT's comment now in the middle of my message, but I smiled as I read it. As homeschoolers I'm used to doing things differently from everyone else, so the idea that my daughter and I dressing a bit differently from others at the beach or pool doesn't bother me. In fact, I can't imagine that our swimsuits would cause anyone much angst or cause more than a "Hmmm . . . look at that - that's different". In fact, my daughter's swimming suit has attracted attention in the category of "Where can I get one like that?". Does that mean she's not being modest? LOL!

In fact, I can't imagine that our swimsuits would cause anyone much angst or cause more than a "Hmmm . . . look at that - that's different". In fact, my daughter's swimming suit has attracted attention in the category of "Where can I get one like that?". Does that mean she's not being modest? LOL!

Those modesty suits you linked cover only slightly more skin than my sporty ones and I don't think they would stand out. If I wore a swim shirt with my trunks, instead of a tankini, they would be similar. The modesty suits I saw at the pool didn't even look safe to actually swim in. We were at an elaborate splash park, so I didn't ever see if they could swim in them. The skirts went below their knees. I would think there would be danger in getting that much fabric wrapped around their legs?

Edited by snickelfritz
Profound overuse of a specific word

I have board shorts and a workout shirt as well. The do still reveal a bit up top more than I would like though. The workout shirt is also of the same material as my swim suit bottoms(I wear under the shorts). I was wondering about the rashguards and the bra issue as well. I would like to have one that is short sleeve though, the long sleeves would drive me bonkers.

I wear a women's swimdress suit with athletic shorts over the bottom, but I wear a bike shirt under the suit that extends up my chest and down my arms. I have had several surgeries for skin cancer and I can't risk more sun. I also do not want to have any body parts I consider private left out for public viewing. I don't care if someone stares at me because I am 'different'! I am the one who chooses what body parts are visible to the public and which are not and I am certainly not going to put on what passes for 'normal' swim wear. I think if I did I would spend more time tugging and pulling and checking and be paranoid the whole time I was supposed to be swimming. Heck, I've never had a bikini wax and I have no plans to get one. I figure I am doing the public a service, since my body parts are not exactly the kind you find in swim wear advertising anyway. :D

You all should thank me.

My younger DDs wear board shorts and a rash guard over a bikini or sports bra. My older DDs are adults and make their own choices.

I loved my swimsuit from ohanaswimwear, but they went out of business. It was like bike shorts and then for the top you had a choice of either a tank top or a short-sleeved zip-up vest. The vest was definitely better for full-figured than the tank top.

Now I have tankini top and a skirtini from Kohl's. It's the only thing I've found that fits. I am quite ample on top. I ended up needing an 18W for the top, but an 8 for the skirtini. I prefer shorts for the bottom, but all I could find were boy shorts and I wanted something more like the bike shorts style that I had from ohana. The skirtini was the best I could do.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/swim/womensplus/mixandmatch/PRD~c22048/Croft+and+Barrow+Fit+For+You+Floral+Swim+Separates++Womens+Plus.jsp

This is the top that I got and then I had to go to the regular women's section to get the skirtini.

I just got a rashguard with swimshorts and I'm happy with it.

I'm a little surprised that people define modesty as 'not sticking out.' Modesty is a part of culture, but when cultures collide (as often happens in the States) there is no wrong answer. Just what makes us feel comfortable or uncomfortable.