Menu

s/o dislike a name - Why do people change my dds names?

My daughter's name is Kimberly. It is amazing to me how many people shorten it to Kim without asking her (btw, she hates the name Kim). When I was growing up, people would ask me if I went by Pam or Pamela. I didn't particularly LIKE that question, but I appreciated them asking rather than assuming. Though seriously, if I introduce myself as Pamela, then why do you assume Pam anyway?

Anyway, none of my little boys or the baby have shorten-able names (imo. I guess you could call them weird things like just the first syllable or something, but those aren't really names). The oldest girl does and she has shortened it. When she got here, I tried really hard to use it. I love her full name; in fact, it's a name I would have chosen for a girl myself. But she's fine with me using her full name.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carrie is pronounced like carry (short "a").

Kerry is pronounced to rhyme with berry (short "e").

The first syllable in Aaron is pronounced the same way as the first syllable in arrow (short "a").

The first syllable in Erin is pronounced the same way as the first syllable in error (short "e").

I grew up in New England.

But see, carry and berry rhyme! And arrow and error start out exactly the same!

Youngest dd is Alexandra. The number of people that called her Alexandria was staggering. I finally started just telling them that I had not named her after a city in Eygpt. (Yes, I got strange looks for that :lol:)

Among Orthodox Christians, there is a St. Alexandria. The name is not often chosen, but it is a real "people" name !

Most likely, people are not listening carefully when you provide your daughter's name.

We don't use nicknames for our boys, but do use "Katie" for our Katherine. People can be sooooo lazy about learning an unfamiliar name. I do consider it laziness. Our eldest son is named Vasilios. When he was a teenager, a few of his friends decided to call him "V", rather than learn his name. [scowl. . .]

Edited by Orthodox6

The first syllable in Aaron is pronounced the same way as the first syllable in arrow (short "a").

The first syllable in Erin is pronounced the same way as the first syllable in error (short "e").

I grew up in New England, also, but I don't see how "carry" and "berry" sound different. Same with the "a" in arrow and the "e" in error.

What I find funny is that sometimes the KIDS change it!

One of my DD's friends is named Ashlyn. She came to camp with my DD for a week, and to make it easier on her mother, I drove the girls both ways, so was signing Ashlyn in and out. And every single day, her name would change on the sign in sheet to Ashley-and I'd change it back.

About Wednesday, I finally caught the girls' coach to ask. According to her, one of the assistants called Ashlyn Ashley the first day, Ashlyn decided she liked it better, and wanted to be called Ashley from then on. The coaches, who are pretty experienced with little girls, decided that it wasn't worth fighting her :).

My daughter, though, considers it a mortal sin if someone puts an e at the end of the shortened version of her name-because there's no E in the long version. It doesn't matter to her that the added e at the end is actually the more common spelling.

My husband's name is Jonathan. He does not go by Jon. That is what we call his little sister's husband. When we were looking at cars, he would introduce himself and many salesmen automatically said "hey, Jon!" They did not ask to call him that, they just did. We did walk out of a few that did that. :)

Just out of curiosity, do you pronounce Mary and merry and marry differently?

My husband's name is Jonathan. He does not go by Jon. That is what we call his little sister's husband. When we were looking at cars, he would introduce himself and many salesmen automatically said "hey, Jon!" They did not ask to call him that, they just did. We did walk out of a few that did that. :)

My DH, Michael, has the same problem with being called "Mike" by anyone who hasn't known him since he was in elementary school. Salesmen tend to be the worst.

I grew up in New England, also, but I don't see how "carry" and "berry" sound different. Same with the "a" in arrow and the "e" in error.

Why would they be spelled with different vowels (a vs. e) if they are pronounced the same way?

Carrie, carry, Aaron, and arrow have the same short "a" sound as hat.

Kerry, berry, Erin, and error have the same short "e" sound as pet.

Just out of curiosity, do you pronounce Mary and merry and marry differently?

Yes, but the difference between the first and the third is subtle. The "a" in Mary is kind of in-between a long a and a short a. It isn't quite MAY-ree but it's definitely different than MAH-ree.

Why would they be spelled with different vowels (a vs. e) if they are pronounced the same way?

There are many words in the English language that are pronounced the same way but spelled differently.

In any case, it's fascinating to consider how differently that Americans say the same words, even when it's not specifically related to different accents.

Mary - like air

Merry - like excellent

Marry - like apple

Here's what Merriam-Webster says (first one listed is the preferred pron. and is the same for all three):

marry: \ˈmer-ē, ˈma-rē\

merry: \ˈmer-ē, ˈme-rē\

Mary: \ˈmer-ē, ˈma-rē, ˈmā-rē\

Here's what Merriam-Webster says (first one listed is the preferred pron. and is the same for all three):

That's fine and dandy for Webster. Just like it's fine and dandy for Bostonians to pahk their cahs or Georgians to praise the lawed. :D

Kerry/Carrie = same

Dawn/Don = same

Hayley/Hailey = same

Laurie/Lorie = same

Aaron/Erin = same

You guys are just weird. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

EXCEPT... I do know the difference between Dawn/Don. And I have known many, many Lauries who were lore-ee. Never heard anyone called law-rie.

For those of you who are regionally unable to pronounce "dawn," do you also say "Don is when the sun is just starting to come up." Is that an east-coast thing? Sounds like Boston to me...

Carry and berry rhyme to me...

And arrow and error have the same beginning sound...

:confused: :lol:

But see, carry and berry rhyme! And arrow and error start out exactly the same!

Carry and berry rhyme to me...

And arrow and error have the same beginning sound...

:confused: :lol:

:iagree: They sound the same to me. I can pronounce them differently, but I don't CAR-e things, I Care-e them. I care-e the bear- ez in a bunch, which I ate for lunch.

:D

Many people pronounce my dd's name HAY lee. We've always pronounced it HAIL ee. I'd chalk it up to a regional thing if, you know, we weren't all from the same region!

To me, that's like calling me Kerry. Which is a nice name, but not mine. Unless you ARE from a different region, in which case I understand the difficulty. Though I don't believe that should excuse MY OWN MOTHER, lol.

Oh, well!

Both those names sound the same to me.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

EXCEPT... I do know the difference between Dawn/Don. And I have known many, many Lauries who were lore-ee. Never heard anyone called law-rie.

For those of you who are regionally unable to pronounce "dawn," do you also say "Don is when the sun is just starting to come up." Is that an east-coast thing? Sounds like Boston to me...

I grew up on the East Coast (MD)... it's not Don... you hear the aw in it.

I pronounce the 1st syllable of arrow and error exactly the same. It truly must be a regional thing.

The thing with these words is they are r controlled vowels. There really isn't a short a sound with ar. It's either pronounced like star or stair. Isn't it? Am I missing something?

Do you pronounce the ar in arrow like the ar in star?

Is Carrie prounounced like car as in automobile with a long e sound at the end? The babysitter in the Incredibles is named that but I have no idea how to spell it. So I'm not going to attempt it. That's the only time I've heard that name.

I pronounce the 1st syllable of arrow and error exactly the same. It truly must be a regional thing.

The thing with these words is they are r controlled vowels. There really isn't a short a sound with ar. It's either pronounced like star or stair. Isn't it? Am I missing something?

Is Carrie prounounced like car as in automobile with a long e sound at the end? The babysitter in the Incredibles is named that but I have no idea how to spell it. So I'm not going to attempt it. That's the only time I've heard that name.

Tee hee.

No. *MY* name is not pronounced like the automobile. I obviously disregard any r controlled vowel rules (which makes teaching phonics REAL fun in my house!) Seriously, it's the a that's in apple.

Of course, I do not speak for all the Carries of the world. I know we have quite a few here. They can call themselves whatever they like. :)

Whew, Thank You!!! I thought I was losing my mind.

One of my children has an 'unusual' name. Amazingly, many children are just fine about figuring it out and pronounce it exactly right. They're much better than adults.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the difference between Hay-lee and Hail-ee unless I pause weirdly between syllables.

I hate when people don't call my kids by the names I gave them. I think parents put a lot of thought and effort into their kids' names, it's just rude to call them something else.

My grandma called Katie "Summer Dawn" for the longest time. That's nothing like her name, but because she was born at around 4:30 on the first day of summer, she thought she had the right. I set her straight.

Mom calls my Caeleigh (pronounced KAY-lee) "Leigh" (Lee). Irritates me to no end. If I wanted her name to be Leigh, I would have named her Leigh. Next card she sends to "Leigh" is going to be returned with "No such address" on it, I swear. Funny thing is, she was anal about people calling my brother by his given name (Michael, instead of Mike, which is what everyone shortened it to). It drove her batty when they didn't.

Frankly, I'm the only one allowed to give my kid's nicknames. ;)

I do nicknames a lot. My oldest goes by Steph.

My youngest has started telling people her name is "Vick" when people ask her. They pretty much always get really confused since she's not real clear speaking (she's not yet 4) and that would certainly be an unusual name for a little girl. We actually call her Vicki most of the time but in the past few months she went through 3 weeks of insisting everyone call her Victoria and then switched to wanting everyone to call her Vick. I'm kind of hoping its a phase that ends soon.

Is Carrie prounounced like car as in automobile with a long e sound at the end?

No, no, no. It's not "aw" like car or star. It's the same short "a" sound as in hat, apple, bag, cab, etc. CAH-ree, AH-row, MAH-ree, AH-run. Just like you'd say AH-pul for "apple".

Oh my....I have no time to read all the pages of comments.

I don't know if this fits in with this thread or not....but my oldest daughter's name is Tabitha. I can not tell you how many times in the past 18 years people have called her.....Samantha. :001_rolleyes:

ETA: without giving it away....I'm curious who all here would get that connection....or can you not figure it out?

Edited by ~AprilMay~

My name is Beth. That is on my birth certificate. I've had people want to call me Elizabeth. One woman argued with me that Elizabeth was obviously my given name and it would be proper to use it instead of Beth. She didn't believe me when I told her that Beth truly was on my birth certificate.

Me, too. And all my life I've been asked, "Is that short for Elizabeth?"

Me: "Nope, just Beth."

Them: "Oh, well then it must be short for Bethany or Beverly or something."

Me: "Nope, just Beth."

Them: "Oh, well then, Betty (or Betsy or Bethy :glare:), you just come over here and...."

You would not believe what people do to our simple surname. :001_huh:

No, no, no. It's not "aw" like car or star. It's the same short "a" sound as in hat, apple, bag, cab, etc. CAH-ree, AH-row, MAH-ree, AH-run. Just like you'd say AH-pul for "apple".

I cannot say those words that way with out looking really really strange. It is almost physically impossible. If I were to call someone Carrie with a short a sound to their face, I am afraid they would run away screaming in fear. :lol:

ETA: I just tried it on my 4yo and she jumped! lol

My name is Stephanie.

Not Stephy, not Stephcha (only my father can call me this), and not Stefanya (I don't know how to spell it, but our Polish landlord called me that).

I don't mind when people call me Steph, but for some reason, Stephanie seems a lot more personal and I prefer it over Steph. Probably because Steph is one syllable and it just seems quick and choppy and a bit cold to me.

I would love to be known by my middle name (Elizabeth), but it would be weird to ask others to call me that after almost 18 years of going by Stephanie. Maybe I'll try it at college :D

My cousin's name is Stephanie, and as an adult she started going by her middle name, Allison. It was a little strange at first, but we got used to it quickly enough. If you like it better, go for it.

I don't know if this fits in with this thread or not....but my oldest daughter's name is Tabitha. I can not tell you how many times in the past 18 years people have called her.....Samantha. :001_rolleyes:

ETA: without giving it away....I'm curious who all here would get that connection....or can you not figure it out?

:lol: I get it.....

Oh, I get it :001_smile:

My husband has repeatedly called one of my daughter's preschool teachers Michelle, just because her last name is Pfeiffer. Not-Michelle is not amused. :lol:

Edited by Kebo

Mom calls my Caeleigh (pronounced KAY-lee) "Leigh" (Lee). Irritates me to no end. .

At least it is a deriviative of her name. My mom called my Ceilidh(Kaylee) Katie for the first 3 months of her life because she wanted me to give her up for adoption and thought that calling her a different name would make me do so :glare: but that is a whole different thread.

Then again no one ever pronounces dd's name right the first 1-10 times they read it lol

Then again no one ever pronounces dd's name right the first 1-10 times they read it lol

My daughter has the same problem.

I get the whole Samantha/Tabitha thing. I thought of it right away when I saw that.

I have a cousin and a bil both named Todd and a husband named Scott. You would really be surprised how when you're talking about both you can easily mix them up when speaking. I do it all the time. Yet, if I were talking to someone who didn't have a Todd in their life, I would never call my husband Todd!