Menu

s/o dislike a name - Why do people change my dds names?

Oh my....I have no time to read all the pages of comments.

I don't know if this fits in with this thread or not....but my oldest daughter's name is Tabitha. I can not tell you how many times in the past 18 years people have called her.....Samantha. :001_rolleyes:

ETA: without giving it away....I'm curious who all here would get that connection....or can you not figure it out?

It could be worse. They could call her Endora.

On a funny note, we have a friend named Jon. His last name is Conway. My DH and I call him Jon. The kids call him Coach Conway. My four year old calls him Coach Jonway. Jon loves it.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, no, no. It's not "aw" like car or star. It's the same short "a" sound as in hat, apple, bag, cab, etc. CAH-ree, AH-row, MAH-ree, AH-run. Just like you'd say AH-pul for "apple".

I'm with all the Carrie = Kerry people. If I make them sound different I sound quite pretentious. Its not wrong to pronounce them the same, its just a different accent.

I don't know if this fits in with this thread or not....but my oldest daughter's name is Tabitha. I can not tell you how many times in the past 18 years people have called her.....Samantha. :001_rolleyes:

ETA: without giving it away....I'm curious who all here would get that connection....or can you not figure it out?

Yup, I get it too.

And.....the funny thing (about the Tabitha/Samantha thing) is that the many numerous people who have called her Samantha over the years are serious. They aren't joking. They really think her name is Samantha. It's like the name Tabitha gets twisted in their brain and comes out of their mouth as Samantha. To me it's so strange.....I guess because my parents never allowed us to watch that tv show :lol: . The two names are not even close!

When my eldest was in daycare, he'd only answer to Batman :glare:

:lol:Mine insisted on being Cinderella! She was quite insistant.:lol:

My problem with parents getting bent out of shape over names comes from when I was teaching 5th grade. I had a boy named Benjamin. Nice name. Nice kid. He asked all the kids to call him Ben. Well, they did. First parent teacher conference came up and I referred to him as Ben. His father flew into an angry fit. His mother was outraged. How DARE I change their son's name. His name is Benjamin. I am to call him nothing but Benjamin. Oops. I asked him about it the next day. He hated the name Benjamin. Ben was cool. Why not respect the child's wishes? Parents get hung up on silly things sometimes, imnsho.

:lol:Mine insisted on being Cinderella! She was quite insistant.:lol:

My problem with parents getting bent out of shape over names comes from when I was teaching 5th grade. I had a boy named Benjamin. Nice name. Nice kid. He asked all the kids to call him Ben. Well, they did. First parent teacher conference came up and I referred to him as Ben. His father flew into an angry fit. His mother was outraged. How DARE I change their son's name. His name is Benjamin. I am to call him nothing but Benjamin. Oops. I asked him about it the next day. He hated the name Benjamin. Ben was cool. Why not respect the child's wishes? Parents get hung up on silly things sometimes, imnsho.

Well...When Diva was in Brownies, I discovered that she/they had changed her name. Completely. Like from a Michelle to a Melanie. B/c there was already another girl or 2 with her name. :glare: I was not impressed.

My name is Dusty, and I've been called many a thing to go with that over the years (Dustbuster, Dustybutt(WHAT?!), and Dustybug)

My DD is Gabriella, and we call her Gabby, although when I was pregnant I SWORE that I wouldn't.

My son is Aron (one A) and somehow that trips people up when they see it on paper. (BTW, I do not use the short "a" sound and have NEVER met and Aaron or Aron that did...that' sounds so foreign to me to say it that way! lol). When he was a baby, I called him "Bubba" because he was so chubby. He is nearly four now and he will even tell people that "Bubba" is his name:glare:. I never meant for it to be a lifelong nickname, especially since we are in the midst of the COUNTRY, where there really are people named Bubba! lol

And.....the funny thing (about the Tabitha/Samantha thing) is that the many numerous people who have called her Samantha over the years are serious. They aren't joking. They really think her name is Samantha. It's like the name Tabitha gets twisted in their brain and comes out of their mouth as Samantha. To me it's so strange.....I guess because my parents never allowed us to watch that tv show :lol: . The two names are not even close!

I know what you mean! It's the same as the Scott/Todd thing. I can never figure out why it's like that, but I'm not the only one who gets tripped up over them. My aunt (Todd's mom) will do the same thing! Maybe it has to do with the placement of the consonants and vowels???

That bugs me. My sister's name is Kathryn and my grandma (on my dad's side) used to shorten it to Kathy which drove my mom NUTS!!! I was 3 at the time and couldn't say my "th" very well and it came out "Kassy" so we called her Kassy but only at home. When she was in her senior year of high school, I was down as her emergency contact and the school called me once and said "We have Katie down in the office, she accidentally slammed her finger in the locker".. I seriously had to ask the woman THREE TIMES who it was that she was calling about because she's NEVER been Katie! I wasn't making a big deal to prove a point- I SERIOUSLY thought she had the wrong number!!

My issue and I know some would say I'm petty is the spelling of my kids names and nicknames. I have a son Aaron and it drives me nuts when someone knows he's a boy and spells it "Erin", I've never met a boy Aaron spelled "Erin". I also have a Madison that we called Madie and spell it as I just typed it. Even people who we've made the point that it's one d and ie spell it wrong- including one of her public schools. I know it's petty but it's not their name if it's spelled wrong!

"Ma" is an open syllable - long a. I can see why people would always throw in the extra d - the English language rules are drilled into us from an early age (in fact, we're working on this particular rule this week!!). If my son spelled it Madie I would tell him that he should split it up and see that this would then be "Ma (long-a) die" and probably not how you say the name... just to commiserate with people who get in trouble spelling it wrong <g>!!

FWIW, I used to absolutely completely HATE that my name (Laura) couldn't be shortened into a cute nick-name like all my friends... I was devastated that I couldn't be a "Jennifer - Jenn" or a "Christine - Chris"! I even went so far as to have all my "true friends" call me by a completely random name that I decided I liked in high-school - and even then, I preferred it when they knew that the name was "Morgana" but I went by "Morgie"! Crazy, huh?

I remember when I first met my hubby, he introduced me to his SIL, Jennifer. After I knew her for years and years I eventually started slipping and calling her Jenn - and one day she flat out told me that she hated it, and her name was JENNIFER. I was flabergasted - really? truly? THAT was a big deal?? After all those years that I'd have given an arm & a leg to be a Jenn? laff! I tried to straighten up after that and not shorten it, but it was honestly very difficult to me once I'd gotten the nickname in my head...

Kerry/Carrie = same

Dawn/Don = same

Hayley/Hailey = same

Laurie/Lorie = same

Aaron/Erin = same

You guys are just weird. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I agree and I have taken tests to determine if I have an accent and I do not. This has proven true IRL as well, people always ask where I am from because I don't have an accent. I can't hear the difference in pen/pin either. I do, however, add an "R" to wash - warsh. :001_smile:

Kerry/Carrie = same

Dawn/Don = same

Hayley/Hailey = same

Laurie/Lorie = same

Aaron/Erin = same

You guys are just weird. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:, except for Dawn/Don- those are two completely different pronunciations!

I've been called Linda so many times I just started answering to it. Also, my name is spelled Lynne on my birth certificate, so that's the way I write it, but most people never spell it that way. Most people spell it Lynn, but I've had Lin, Lyn, Linn, and my personal favorite, Line. Yeah, my parents named me Line. That's not even phonetically correct, people! :lol:

I've had many people try to shorten my son's name Jeffrey to Jeff. They always look shocked when I ask them to please call him by his given name. In my head I'm thinking, 'Does it really take that much effort to pronounce just one more syllable?'

I guess people just get the idea of a name in their head and decide to run with it for whatever reason. I really don't like when someone chooses their preference over mine. I'm the one who gave birth to my children. I'm the one who named them. I'm the one raising them. My child goes by the specific name I've chosen. It's just wrong to try to do it any other way. Just MHO. I would rather someone use a generic term than to try to change the way we use my children's names. IOW, use something like 'your ds' or 'Lala's ds' when talking about him. Or if addressing the child, just make eye contact and don't use a name at all, just 'hey, how are you doing?' At least that way it's not obvious someone doesn't like my children's given names. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I hate when people don't call my kids by the names I gave them. I think parents put a lot of thought and effort into their kids' names, it's just rude to call them something else.

:iagree: We chose the beautiful name "Gabriel" for our son. People immediately started calling him "Gabe." Why on earth would you change "Gabriel" to "Gabe?" Is it really so hard to say the extra "i-el?" Sorry to anyone out there who has "Gabe," but it's so blah and hard :glare: I'm his parent, I spent a lot of time choosing a beautiful name for my child, who are you to usurp that?! :cursing:

:chillpill: I corrected people kindly and promptly, and thankfully it didn't catch on, except with our pastor's wife who sometimes watches him in the nursery. I told her, kindly, that he doesn't know himself as that and it would only confuse him. She doesn't call him that anymore...at least not around me...

My name is Anya. Pronounced "on-yah." In high school, there was a guy in math class who's favorite joke was to shout out "I wanna be An-ya." (Get it? like "I want to be on you." :glare:) I would have loved a longer, different name that made a nicer nickname possible.

LAW-ree vs. LOAR-ee.

It drives. me. up. a. wall. :auto: to hear my DH pronounce them the same. He also pronounces "Aaron" & "Erin" as homophones and "Carrie" & "Kerry". :banghead:

I pronounce all three examples you gave the same, to me they sound funny different and I have no idea how you would pronounce Erin/Aaron or Carrie/Kerry different from each other.

The opposite used to happen to me. I named my dds lovely names and people kept changing them. WHY?

People are funny about names.

I put thought into naming my kids, but ... maybe not as much as did other people? In my culture we emphasize social position; maybe that's why the name thing doesn't bother me so much - because I tend to call everyone by their title instead of their name. I don't really care what people call my kids, I'm just not that vested in their given names. I do come from a family that has "sets" of names, so maybe that's why.

My son prefers his American name, and will answer to any variation of it (it's like Michael/Mike). My family refers to him by his title (Brother/Cousin), my inlaws and his dad call him by the short "Mike" variation of his name, and nearly all of his peers call him by his last name.

My daughter introduces herself as Rainbow. Odd little duck, this one. My family uses her Asian name, my inlaws call her by an ugly shortened version of her American name, and her dad calls her Five. He's always called her by the age she was, for who only knows why. Her good friends (the kids of MY friends) call her by her Asian name, but her peers use her full American name. Random adults in our small town (like the librarian, baristas, produce guys, etc.) humor her and call her Rainbow.

I use an American nickname socially, mostly because when I married my husband his family struggled with pronouncing my Asian name. He chose the nickname, and it's a term of endearment in his native language (as well as an increasingly popular name for little North American girls :glare:). I do have a legal American name, too, but I've never used it except for most government documents. If someone called out to me with that name, I wouldn't realize they were talking to me.

In Australia nicknames are very common Redheads are called Blue or nowadays, Rangas (after Orangatangs). I am frequently called Blondie. Whatever name you are given, your peers will find a way to nickname you. My daughter with the beautiful name Genevieve is commonly called Generator. We spent years calling her Genevieve but eventually shortened it to Gen which is also what her friends call her. We also call her Genabubble from her baby days. Or Gentle-vieve. Some names lend themselves to many deviations :)

I choose not to have a problem with it- it is a way of familiarising and joking around and teasing and playing...I think it is up to the person themselves to deal with it. The parents don't get a say after a point (probably the first few months.)

English is not my first language, so I find it comforting to know that even native speakers struggle with hearing subtle differences :) we need someone to Youtube the different sounds of some of these names. I can figure out the difference to Carrie/Kerry, Merry/Mary, Aaron/Erin, Lori/Laurie (even though I tend to pronounce each pair alike) but for the life of me I can't distinguish between Dawn/Don or Hay-lee/Hail-ee. My jaw hurts from trying LOL.

Where's the jumping up and down raised hand smilie?

Bewitched

People always call me a specific nickname I hate. (Along the lines of Mary -> Mare).

I used to get upset by it -- now I just make sure to tell them soonish that I really prefer the full name, thanks. I don't want to come across as rude, but I also don't want them to get a name I do not LIKE stuck in their heads.

English is not my first language, so I find it comforting to know that even native speakers struggle with hearing subtle differences :) we need someone to Youtube the different sounds of some of these names. I can figure out the difference to Carrie/Kerry, Merry/Mary, Aaron/Erin, Lori/Laurie (even though I tend to pronounce each pair alike) but for the life of me I can't distinguish between Dawn/Don or Hay-lee/Hail-ee. My jaw hurts from trying LOL.

Oooh! Maybe I'll have my kids do that today! lol

I liked the thread about the cringe inducing nickname.

The opposite used to happen to me. I named my dds lovely names and people kept changing them. WHY?

Youngest dd is Alexandra. The number of people that called her Alexandria was staggering. I finally started just telling them that I had not named her after a city in Eygpt. (Yes, I got strange looks for that :lol:)

Later she chose to shorten it to Lexy. Not Lexi which inspires cringes from me when I see it :lol: and definiately NOT Lex, she is not a bald super villian. :lol:

People are funny about names.

I had a Ukranian friend whose name was Alexander. I was so confused when he told me we had become good enough friends that he wanted me to start calling him Sascha -- I wasn't sure what the message was at first. The message was that we were good friends. In the Russian and Ukranian cultures, the common nickname for any Alex derivatives is Sascha.

We have a husband/wife pastor team, Bo and Vicki. It was ages before I could speak to them, because in my brain, they just kept merging together as Bucky, and I knew that wasn't correct, especially for her!

Thanks, I never knew! FWIW, I pronounce Aaron and Erin the same, but Carrie and Kerry are totally different in my mind. That's so weird. :)

Aaron and Erin are different - or should be!! (see rant below ;)), Carrie and Kerry sound totally different to me (as do marry and merry), but Dawn and Don, Laurie and Lorie - completely identical. I think those first two are totally regional - I pronounce lawn and Lon the same way too. Laurie/Lori I've always considered the second a phonetic spelling of a traditional one - like Stephen/Steven, Sean/Shaun, Michaela/Mikayla. I haven't heard anyone else around here pronounce them differently either.

ETA: I'm taking that back. When I say Aaron and Erin aloud, I am hearing a slight difference. I'm hearing Air-ren and Eh-ren.

Nonononononono!!!! Aaron is AAH-run (how do people get "air" from "aar"?) and Erin is AIR-rin (the name derives from Eire -> Eirinn or Eireann, Ireland). Guess what my name is and my pet peeve!!! (yes, and my entire childhood - "isn't that a boy's name?") :glare::glare::glare: I'll accept EH-rin as a variant without bothering to correct anyone, but I really don't like it. Bleh.

I used to know two people named Tara. Their names were pronounced differently, one was Tair-uh, the other was Tar-uh.

I know a million Sophias. They all go by So-FEE-a except one, whose mom pronounced it So-FAI-a. (that's supposed to be a long "I" in the middle syllable). She was a very well educated woman, so I kind of assumed there was some older, perhaps more "authentic" pronunciation of it that way that she was hearkening back to? Is it pronounced that way in Greek or Latin??

Anyway, we all pronounced her daughter's name the way she wanted us to. :)

I had a Ukranian friend whose name was Alexander. I was so confused when he told me we had become good enough friends that he wanted me to start calling him Sascha -- I wasn't sure what the message was at first. The message was that we were good friends. In the Russian and Ukranian cultures, the common nickname for any Alex derivatives is Sascha.

I knew that :) - and Michael names (Mikhail) are Mischa. That's why I get a bit of a kick of hearing all these girls named Sasha - especially the pair this time on So You Think You Can Dance, who are Alexander and Sasha.

We have a husband/wife pastor team, Bo and Vicki. It was ages before I could speak to them, because in my brain, they just kept merging together as Bucky, and I knew that wasn't correct, especially for her!

Growing up, we had some friends with two sons Caleb and Abel. Everyone kept calling them both "Cable" - including the parents. (but not on purpose :tongue_smilie:)

I'm with all the Carrie = Kerry people. If I make them sound different I sound quite pretentious. Its not wrong to pronounce them the same, its just a different accent.

But they've got different vowels in them! :tongue_smilie: Like Aster and Esther. KA-ree (like cat) and KEH-ree. (yes, I realize this is a regional pronunciation thing ;)) I can't not pronounce them differently.

ETA: my first attempt at phonetic spelling was bad and have edited in an attempt to clarify.

Edited by matroyshka

For those of you who are regionally unable to pronounce "dawn," do you also say "Don is when the sun is just starting to come up." Is that an east-coast thing? Sounds like Boston to me...

Yes, I do say that (and I can't wrap my head around how else I would pronounce it). And yes, I'm from Boston... :tongue_smilie:

But they've got different vowels in them! :tongue_smilie: Like Aster and Esther. KAH-ree and KEH-ree. (yes, I realize this is a regional pronunciation thing ;)) I can't not pronounce them differently.

But the Carrie in this thread pronounces her name not like KAH-ree (a as in father) but like CA-ree (a as in cat, as in the beginning sound of Cathy or Callie)—though it's interesting to note that her own mother pronounces it like Kerry if I'm reading her earlier post correctly.

But they've got different vowels in them! :tongue_smilie: Like Aster and Esther. KAH-ree and KEH-ree. (yes, I realize this is a regional pronunciation thing ;)) I can't not pronounce them differently.

And yes, I'm from Boston... :tongue_smilie:

I was beginning to think I was nuts here so I'm glad to see that at least one other person (who grew up in the same region of the country as me) pronounces them differently.

The "Aaron" & "Erin" thing particularly bugs me because we have one of each in the family. When DH refers to one, I always have to ask which he means and it drives me up the wall because they're totally different names with different vowels! :auto:

But the Carrie in this thread pronounces her name not like KAH-ree (a as in father) but like CA-ree (a as in cat, as in the beginning sound of Cathy or Callie)—though it's interesting to note that her own mother pronounces it like Kerry if I'm reading her earlier post correctly.

Yup! Well, somewhere between Kerry and Cair-ee. But only because she moved to Georgia 11 years ago. ;)

Sorry - since I don't have a keyboard that includes the phonetic alphabet ;) and English has so many different pronunciations for different letters, it's hard to be exact even when trying to be - how does one indicate a "short a" like that? - "A" alone is also prone to misunderstanding...

I pronounce the "a" in Carrie (and marry and parry and Larry) like "cat", not "father" (I'm from Boston, not England. :D) But the "e" in Kerry (and merry and berry and ferry) is like in "bed". (I thought I was being clear with the aster/Esther example - I pronounce the "a" in aster like cat, not father as well).

People always shorten my first name (it's not Paige :tongue_smilie:) and I hate it. I really hate it. To me, the nickname sounds like someone trashy with no class. I don't understand why someone would use a name other than what a person has been introduced with unless you are both children. I never refer to myself by the shortened name and nobody in my side of the family uses it, and DH would never use it unless he were trying to make me mad. My lovely SIL, however, took it upon herself to use it without invitation and despite correction. Now, half of his family uses it for me all the time! It has been almost 15yrs and it still grates. Thankfully, we see them rarely. Also, all my life my name has been mixed up with completely different names that are only similar because they start with the first letter and have more than 1 syllable. I don't get it but I will answer to them because it happens so often.

As for the regional differences, I don't see any difference between Aaron/Erin. I do not know any Aarons who want to be called Aah-run.

Lorie/Laurie- I say those differently. Lorie = Lore-ie; Laurie= Law-rie, just like Lora and Laura are very different. Think of the Lor- ones as coming from Lorelei and the Lau ones as from Lauren.

Carrie/Kerry- they are the same. I don't know any Carries who have asked to be Cah-rie. They want to be Care-ie. I think that must be a northeastern thing or something. I also don't say ah-pple for apple- it's an a as in hat in the beginning.

Don/Dawn- Please, can someone phonetically spell the difference here if you pronounce them differently?

I don't care how something is spelled, however. I always pronounce a name the way the person is introduced to me as unless that person later corrects me.

The "Aaron" & "Erin" thing particularly bugs me because we have one of each in the family. When DH refers to one, I always have to ask which he means and it drives me up the wall because they're totally different names with different vowels! :auto:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

As for the regional differences, I don't see any difference between Aaron/Erin. I do not know any Aarons who want to be called Aah-run.

Well, I'll pronounce anyone's name the way they tell me too, even if it makes no sense to me (see So-FAI-a in earlier post), but I'm sorry, AAR does not equal AIR. Aaron should be like Karen without the "K", imho. :D

Lorie/Laurie- I say those differently. Lorie = Lore-ie; Laurie= Law-rie, just like Lora and Laura are very different. Think of the Lor- ones as coming from Lorelei and the Lau ones as from Lauren.
Sorry, we pronounce Lauren as "Loren" here too. They're all the same! :D

Carrie/Kerry- they are the same. I don't know any Carries who have asked to be Cah-rie. They want to be Care-ie. I think that must be a northeastern thing or something. I also don't say ah-pple for apple- it's an a as in hat in the beginning.
:001_rolleyes: Of course the "a" in apple sounds just like hat here too. And in Carrie. 'A' like hat, not 'A' like date, that's all - those are still very different! Mary has an 'a' like date! Two 'r's in both Carrie and Kerry mean they should have short vowels, and neither of them be Care-ie.

This combo was on a pronunciation quiz for "where are you from" that I think pegged me as a Bostonian - are Mary/merry/marry pronounced all the same, two same and one different, or all different. I answered all different, of course. ;)

Don/Dawn- Please, can someone phonetically spell the difference here if you pronounce them differently?
I'm with you here. :D I'm also a bit curious if it's the AW or the O that you guys pronounce differently than I do... :tongue_smilie: Or both??

I don't care how something is spelled, however. I always pronounce a name the way the person is introduced to me as unless that person later corrects me.
:iagree::iagree: I think this is the most important thing of all. It's their name.

Yes, I do say that (and I can't wrap my head around how else I would pronounce it). And yes, I'm from Boston... :tongue_smilie:

I do medical transcription for Children's Hospital Boston, and while most of the doctors do not have the native accent, once in a while I will get one that has a thick Bostonian accent and I have to really pay attention to figure out what he/she is saying. :tongue_smilie:

I'm sorry, but to me Lauren is pronounced as lore-in, not law-rin.

Don/Dawn - Don, just like "on." Dawn, as in "awning." (Unless, of course you have the accent to make it "oning.") It's like saying "awwww" when you see a cute kitten. Does that help?

For the record, my favorite band is from Boston. (Godsmack) In the song Voodoo, when Sully sings "So far away..." I totally can hear his accent coming out and hear "So fah away..." Usually accents are hidden for the most part when singing, so it always cracks me up when I listen to that song.

I do medical transcription for Children's Hospital Boston, and while most of the doctors do not have the native accent, once in a while I will get one that has a thick Bostonian accent and I have to really pay attention to figure out what he/she is saying. :tongue_smilie:

That's the thing, I don't have a local accent at all - or at least I didn't think I did till I took that test. I don't sound like the guys from Car Talk or This Old House (those are what I think of as Boston accents). I fully enunciate all my 'r's in the correct places, and don't put them where they don't belong thankyouverymuch (classic Boston: cah for car and Donner for Donna - don't do that at all).

But apparently some Boston has crept into my vowel patterns... :tongue_smilie: (I'll maintain that the way we pronounce Mary/merry/marry is just phonetically correct and the rest of y'all are nuts, but you may have us on the Don/Dawn, Lora/Laura thing ;) )

I'm sorry, but to me Lauren is pronounced as lore-in, not law-rin.

Don/Dawn - Don, just like "on." Dawn, as in "awning." (Unless, of course you have the accent to make it "oning.") It's like saying "awwww" when you see a cute kitten. Does that help?

For the record, my favorite band is from Boston. (Godsmack) In the song Voodoo, when Sully sings "So far away..." I totally can hear his accent coming out and hear "So fah away..." Usually accents are hidden for the most part when singing, so it always cracks me up when I listen to that song.

Yes, awning=oning.

In my experience, the standard American accent does not distinguish between Don and Dawn.

So... what do you say when you see something cute? :lol:

"On" without the "n." I understand that the accepted spelling is "Awww" but that's not the sound I make or the sound I hear around me. Unless, of course, someone comes from a region of the country with a nasal accent (like New Jersey).

:D

Many people pronounce my dd's name HAY lee. We've always pronounced it HAIL ee. I'd chalk it up to a regional thing if, you know, we weren't all from the same region!

To me, that's like calling me Kerry. Which is a nice name, but not mine. Unless you ARE from a different region, in which case I understand the difficulty. Though I don't believe that should excuse MY OWN MOTHER, lol.

Oh, well!

This is funny to me... I always said "Kerri" for mine, and thought nothing of it... My dad said "kerry bearie" sometimes... and... I never heard the difference. I remember when teachers were talking about homonym, but I believe it would have been hom·o·phone instead. In Texas... isn't "bare" and "bear" a homophone? :) (Well, they were saying Homonym) But, in New Jersey or other places there... once you realize the difference (hear it) you realize that NO... they are not.

So, when Introducing myself to someone from a place that would hear it, I say "Caaaaaar -ee" :) (Don't really know how to type that out)

As far as Lexi, versus Lexy... seriously... for some reason I can't remember the different endings of names sometimes. It's not a slight... it's knowing too many and not writing down the name much. My son's cousin's name is Lili and I really have to look up how they spelled it when they shortened it.

As far as the Jeffrey comment to Jeff... they could think that you do nicknames if you have an Allie. (but... perhaps that's not shortened, either.)

I let my son speak up for himself. He started the process by introducing himself by first, middle, last name and then saying "But you can call me 'first name' for short" :)

Yes, awning=oning.

Well, awn = on, but when I see "oning", it needs a double 'n' to keep its original pronuciation - like "boning" has a long 'o" like bone, but in "donning" it would sound like the o in don (and dawn ;))

So I would say awning = onning

Hey Carrie :)

"HAY lee. We've always pronounced it HAIL ee"

Is this pronounced, your way, almost like "Hell ee" but with a long "a" instead of e? I can not get that to sound right. Hmmm. I have a "Caley" pronounce Kay Lee... with a bit of a southern twang. Of course, not when people here say it.. since they have no accent :) I can't get the "ee" to be on the second part. So, I would think it must be where you're from. I'd call her sweetie or something :)

Edited by NayfiesMama

"On" without the "n." I understand that the accepted spelling is "Awww" but that's not the sound I make or the sound I hear around me. Unless, of course, someone comes from a region of the country with a nasal accent (like New Jersey).

See, see... but "on" without the "n" is exactly the same as "awwwww". Spelling it is still not making me understand which of the two sounds you are pronouncing differently than what's in my head. :tongue_smilie:

At the next conference we should all get in a room and slowly pronounce Don/Dawn and Mary/merry/marry for each other. :lol: