Menu

Trader Joe's Newbie. What should I buy?

Our "regular" purchases from TJ's include: oranges, goat cheese, prosciutto, brie, smoked turkey (lunchmeat), sour cream, ravioletti, tortellini, olive oil, parmesan cheese, yogurt, and occasionally some frozen mexican meals for my husband to take to work for lunch.

The last time we were there, my husband bought a can of Cuban black beans. He said they were delicious served over some garlic-infused jasmine rice, so we'll have to add those to our list of things to get there.

Sooo many good things! I will try to narrow it down.:tongue_smilie:

TJ's hummus is great-I love the Jalepeno, white bean; okay, all

Pita crackers (great with the hummus)

Cinnamon Grahams (big & thick and not a lot of sugar)

Most of their cereal-less sugar & sodium than most, tasty, and good price

Salsa-any we've tried has been good

Vegetable Masala Burger's (frozen, spicy, indian flavor, great with the Peach Salsa!)

White Ice Tea-no sugar, comes in a huge container, and I buy it when I'm feeling too lazy to make my own

great selection of cheeses

We live almost 2 hours away from TJ's, so we can't go often, therefore, we don't get a lot of fresh items, Their frozen foods are great, too many to list.

Edited by happyWImom
punctuation

Do you want my whole shopping list or just the highlights? :D

I'd suggest you buy their version whatever types of things are on your weekly shopping list.

Chocolate cover almonds with turbinado sugar and sea salt <--that's my newest craving. I vary what type of chocolate-fix I get. All their chocolate is amazing!

Orange chicken (freezer section)

Fresh fruits--usually better than other grocery stores around me.

Cereal

Coffee

Almond Butter

I usually end up buying whatever they are sampling that day.

Do you want my whole shopping list or just the highlights? :D

I'd suggest you buy their version whatever types of things are on your weekly shopping list.

Chocolate cover almonds with turbinado sugar and sea salt <--that's my newest craving. I vary what type of chocolate-fix I get. All their chocolate is amazing!

Orange chicken (freezer section)

Fresh fruits--usually better than other grocery stores around me.

Cereal

Coffee

Almond Butter

I usually end up buying whatever they are sampling that day.

So, is TJ's your regular shopping place? How does it compare, price-wise, to say, Kroger?

If you're on the west coast, I've heard that TJ's can sub for a mainstream grocery and compete... over here in the east, I find that (excepting their specials, which are often very good) the produce and dairy is just too expensive for us. We shop there a little for convenience but we do better at the Giant. I tend to alternate my shopping runs. One week TJ's, one week Giant (our local standard Kroger, Safeway, sort of store), and one week at Costco.

But staples like cereal, oil, crackers, chips, nuts, pastas, bottled sauces, granola bars, broth, baking supplies, etc. are all cheaper AND better at TJ's.

We also like a lot of their frozen foods. I don't do a lot of frozen stuff generally, but their frozen pizzas are simple and not bad at all - and their frozen appetizers are easy and not bad for entertaining.

Tuna packed in olive oil (heavenly!)

Frozen fish, including "fish nuggets" that are actual fish

Frozen vegetables

Whole wheat tortillas

Yogurt and cheese

Prosciutto and lunch meats

Raw nuts

Frozen croissants (yummy treat!)

We have a WF and a better place to get produce locally, so we don't buy a lot from TJ, just a whole lot of the same things over and over. :D

I never buy their flowers or plants there anymore. I learned my lesson after the third time. :glare:

Ooh, I love those chocolate almonds with sea salt! Mmmm. We have a good grocery store locally, so our Trader Joe's purchases are just a few items.

We buy:

Dishwasher detergent, citrus shampoo (for guests, we are no-poo)

Balsalmic vinegar, spanish olive oil, raw cheese, organic baked beans (canned), We used to get their bread before going gluten free, rice pasta (cheapest and best anywhere!), Ketchup, mustard (yellow and dijon), cornichons, Kerrygold butter, and I am sure there is more I am forgetting.

And don't forget to look at the cut flowers. So pretty for a great price.

If you're on the west coast, I've heard that TJ's can sub for a mainstream grocery and compete... over here in the east, I find that (excepting their specials, which are often very good) the produce and dairy is just too expensive for us. We shop there a little for convenience but we do better at the Giant. I tend to alternate my shopping runs. One week TJ's, one week Giant (our local standard Kroger, Safeway, sort of store), and one week at Costco.

But staples like cereal, oil, crackers, chips, nuts, pastas, bottled sauces, granola bars, broth, baking supplies, etc. are all cheaper AND better at TJ's.

We also like a lot of their frozen foods. I don't do a lot of frozen stuff generally, but their frozen pizzas are simple and not bad at all - and their frozen appetizers are easy and not bad for entertaining.

This is super helpful. We are on the East Coast. Thanks!

After going back, because there's a new one here, all I could say is "Where's the organic?" I wish there was more organic :( The scottie dogs are good (licorice) even if you don't like licorice, for some reason the little dog... Yum :) I kinda wish we got a Whole Foods Market instead... but I do like TJ :)

What lesson is that?

They are cheap and pretty, but they die within a day or two. I felt bad, too, because I had taken a bunch to a friend when I bought the first ones. She never said anything, but I know they must have died quickly. :blush5:

I have flowers from the produce stand and markets last for weeks, but the TJ ones are weak. :glare:

Actually I am sitting here thinking I can't get another set of flowers from TJ because the movers are coming on the 11th and I hate to throw out flowers. Today I am getting rid of the flowers that I got on June 23rd so they have lasted quite a while here.

I love the dark chocolate covered almonds.

They have these ice cream sandwiches... chocolate chip cookie ones rolled in chocolate chips. LOVE those!!

Oh, and the chocolate covered frozen bananas. SOOOOO good when it's hot out!

Of course, you can make both of those yourself, but I'm rather lazy like that...

The pizzas are good, too.

Trader Joe's is my favorite. Our list includes:

Ketchup

Pineapple Salsa

Small pkgs nuts/cranberries

Chicken sausages w apple or mango

Mini bagels

Organic tortilla chips

Maple syrup grade b

Maple leaf cookies

Round crackers w cheese or peanut butter

Pickles or pickle relish

Almond butter

We've liked everything we've tried. I have children that can't handle the dyes so it's nice to have someplace to shop where I don't have to read every label.

Tori

Trader Joe's is my main grocery store, although I do go to Fry's for things TJ's doesn't have.

Things I always try to keep on hand:

Mandarin orange chicken

individual pepperoni pizzas

frozen fruits

frozen grilled bell peppers and onions

tortillas

Other treats:

Joe-joe's

Greek yogurt

chocolate-covered pretzels

reduced fat battered shrimp

mochi ice cream

Oh, and if you like Asian food, you will LOVE the Bulkogi (not sure how TJ's spells it). It's marinated boneless beef ribs, in the meat section. We grill them, and my family could eat them once a week and not get tired of them.

Wendi

My must buys...

Honey sesame cashews

Mango chicken sausage

yogurt

21 seasoning salute

cereal bars

organic brown rice (in the freezer) 3 frozen packets. You just put in the microwave.

Terryiaki Chicken (in the freezer section) quick meal when made in conjunction w/the rice.

They are cheap and pretty, but they die within a day or two. I felt bad, too, because I had taken a bunch to a friend when I bought the first ones. She never said anything, but I know they must have died quickly. :blush5:

I have flowers from the produce stand and markets last for weeks, but the TJ ones are weak. :glare:

Hmmm. Maybe it differs by region. I have some on my table now that I bought on June 19 (and then left in the hot car all day, oooops!). I have had to toss about half the bunch as they withered, but they seem to last longer than those I get at the grocery store.

Three pages, and nobody has yet to mention the cat cookies???! Thumbs up to ginger, down to chocolate, but yum, yum, yum. Crunchy, light, ... can't eat just one. That's the downfall, though. Ask my waistline.

We don't have TJs in my state, but we get monthly care packages from my friend in California so we stay stocked on cat cookies. I'm not usually a snack, crunchy person but these have helped me to see the light.

I also like their sponges - the dry, flat ones that puff up once wet. Cellulose, compostable, convenient, cheap. Good stuff.

I try to do a TJ's run every other week. Here are our regular items--not everything every trip (except tortilla chips and sourdough bread), but these are all regular purchases. And then it's fun to have some un-regular items jump in the cart. The items are also pretty much in order for how we loop through the store.

Sliced sourdough bread (for toast and grilled cheese sammies)

nuts (peanuts, cashews, toasted sliced almonds)

Honey Nut O's cereal

fig bars (This Fig Walked Into a Bar...I think that's their name)

granola bars--the green box and the orange box (chocolate/peanut butter)

the can of cinnamon rolls for Christmas or a special occasion

uncured applewood smoked bacon

yogurt sticks (like gogurts, but natural ingredients only. We freeze them.)

chicken burritos in the freezer section

pita bite crackers

orange chicken

frozen brown rice

frozen hashbrowns

all of the cookies we have tried are delicious, but I purposely don't get them often

gyoza (potstickers)

and the gyoza sauce

tortilla chips

black bean dip

jasmine brown rice

mac and cheese

3-cheese pasta sauce

soyaki sauce

dark chocolate bars for dh

the peanut butter cups are all amazing--avoid if you have self-control issues

Love! the ginger cat cookies! (can't eat 'em anymore, though)

We get staples there: tongol tuna is cheaper and better quality than the national brands. TJ's is one of few places I can find frozen shrimp without TSP (deck cleaner, not food). Their organic bananas are cheaper than at Whole Foods, and not plastic wrapped like in some places.

Joe-Joes (Oreos) are a huge hit with the kids and husband - much better than other "off brand" or more natural alternatives.

In addition to items others already mentioned:

Chocolate covered peppermint Joe-Joe's (only at Christmas, so stock up!)

pizza dough (fresh dough, different kinds, by the deli case. Makes it really easy to whip up a pizza)

Blood Orange soda (incredible flavor!)

Pomegranite Green Tea (in a plastic bottle - great summer time drink)

Fruit - riper and has more flavor than the grocery store fruit

Frozen mahi-mahi marinated in lemon, garlic, oil (delicious grilled)

milk, eggs and yogurt

Rice cakes

Penguin gummies with the liquid filled tummy (my dd's candy treat)

artichoke tapenade (in a glass jar. I cook angel hair pasta, put the artichoke tapenade in a pan with some additional olive oil and juice from a lemon, heat it, then pour over the pasta. My dd's favorite meal.)

tortellini and ravioli (dried, in bags. I have a ds going to college out of state where there is no Trader Joe's and he asked that I send him some bags of these because he misses them. They make an easy, quick meal.)

Things I buy on a regular basis at Trader Joe's:

Graverstein Apple Sauce

Sunflower Seed Butter

Peanut Butter

Almond Butter

Chicken Stock/Vegetable Stock

Roasted Tomato Soup

Cereal

Cheese

Crackers

Frozen Veggies

Frozen Fish

Greek Yogurt

Holiday Time-Peppermint Jo-Jo's.

Edited by kewb

I shop at Trader Joes every week and live on the west coast.

We love their organic yogurt, hummus, pesto, cereals, all most all the produce, and meats. You absolutely must eat the DARK CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CUPS....they are divine.

Their prices are very good, except for meats. You can almost always find cheaper fresh and deli meats at Costco. However, their prices on just about everything else are very good.

You absolutely must buy either their Korma simmer sauce or their Masala sauce. Seriously. I buy it by the case. I didn't even think that I liked curry before I tried it.

You can use it as a simmer sauce, but I prefer to just pour a jar over a 9x13 pan of chicken breasts, cover it with aluminum foil and bake it at 425 until done. It makes for a very easy, very yummy meal when paired with veggies or a salad.

Just had their breaded Tilpia tonight. So crispy! My dh has to make dinner with me in the cast and on crutches. THANK GOODNESS for Trader Joes!!! I am so glad I stocked up on their freezer meals.

I like everything. Blueberry Jam - yummy I mix it into my homemade yogurt. Divine yumminess.

Can't wait until I can drive or convince hubby to take me.

Some favorites:

Love, love, love the orange chicken served with vegetable fried rice in frozen section.

Greek yogurt

All the cheeses are great

Olive oil

Bananas

Banana chips

Nut mixes

Salsa

Tortilla chips

Peanut Butter

Superberry Jelly

Pancake Mix

Maple Syrup

Juices are all good.

My lab said to be sure to tell you he loves the peanut butter dog biscuits!!

I just filled my cart to overflowing at TJ's today! It would take too long to list all our favorites,

But we regularly buy dried fruit and raw nuts, organic peanut butter, organic polenta, organic chicken, organic cheese sticks, almond milk, organic free range chicken broth. I also buy Applegate Farms cold cuts to pack dh wrap sandwiches for lunch.

I love the white bean hummus and the 3 layer hummus. Older ds loves the freeze dried mangoes, strawberries and bananas. Younger ds loves the Snap Pea Crisps, and occasionally I'll buy dh some organic ribeye steaks, and he's a happy camper.

Three pages, and nobody has yet to mention the cat cookies???! Thumbs up to ginger, down to chocolate, but yum, yum, yum. Crunchy, light, ... can't eat just one. That's the downfall, though. Ask my waistline.

We like the ginger cat cookies, too. I need to get some next time we go!

Other things we buy regularly:

Pizza dough and fixins

Marcona almonds

Mache (corn salad) It's the only place around here I can find it

Tomatoes when we don't have them from our garden

smoked gouda by the slice

black beans

wine

cheese enchiladas

frozen seafood blend that DH makes with pasta

They have a pizza there that is insane. I have to buy two (one for me, one for my husband) each time I go.

It is in a green box, I think it is called Tarte D'alcasce or something. It has ham, gruyere and carmelized onions. OMG, it is awesome.

Other than that, their hummus is good, and their staples are affordable and of good quality. Rice, nuts, oils, spices, etc. Other than that pizza, I tend to be underwhelmed by their pre-packaged foods.

I recently discovered their sweet potato gnocci in the freezer section. My boys LOVED it... SO good!

I also love their individual pad thai bowls for a simple, quick lunch for me.

Jo-jo's are a must here (esp. the peppermint ones at Christmas) as are the ginger cat cookies. The cinnamon ABC cookies are a hit as well.

Their cereals are excellent and I don't mind giving my boys their frosted flakes.

My sons love their cereal bars, especially the fig ones.

Just had their breaded Tilpia tonight. So crispy! My dh has to make dinner with me in the cast and on crutches. THANK GOODNESS for Trader Joes!!! I am so glad I stocked up on their freezer meals.

That tilapia is the *best* for fish tacos! That's a staple for us.

We always buy:

frozen Chimichurri rice (super yum!)

Dunkers cookies

goat cheese w/honey

sea salt chocolate almonds

licorice doggies

frozen eggplant patties (cover w/sauce & cheese and bake for eggplant parm - so easy)

frozen bolognese sauce

strawberry yogurt

jojos cookies

sushi platters (9.99 for a giant round platter. seriously.)