Menu

Havent flown in sixteen years...

With the time to get in and out of the airport (parking, checking in, security, loading, unloading, baggage claim, finding your transportation), I think your time invested will be pretty much equal. In that case, the only possible advantage to flying would be that you can do something else (read a book, send some emails, etc) while on the plane and some of the waiting before/after.

*I* would just drive that. It'll be cheaper (maybe not a lot, depending on the fare and your gas mileage), and once you get there, you'll have a car.

Dh would fly it. He *hates* driving, and he's a frequent enough flyer that he gets to hang out in the nice lounges, skip the longer security lines, usually gets upgraded to a better class. It's a different experience. ;)

I would drive. :) Changing planes 4 times could take weeks. lol So many opportunities for missed connections.

4 connections from PA to VA??? Seriously!!!

:svengo:

Drive!!!

:auto:

I think Jet means 4 hours including time to make connecting flights. :)

Jet, for the hassle, of airports and such I'd just drive. It doesn't sound like it's going to take much longer and it will likely be less frustration in the end. Get yourself some good tunes to listen to and :auto:

Drive. Really anything 8 hours or under - Drive. For my Dh's job we flew from ATL to Richmond VA. With all the delays and hassels, it would have been faster to drive! AND I like to fly, and hubby has all kinds of frequent flier miles perks.

Six hours is nothing to drive to me.

You have to be at the airport at hour early, so you you would only be saving an hour *at the most* by flying, and that's if you could magically appear at the airport.

eta the grain of salt: I only fly if there is an ocean in the way or it is an emergency.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

so would it be easier to drive 6 hrs to VA or fly which would be 4 w/connectors not including wait time pre.

I would drive. 6 hours is not far, really, and even at today's prices, gas would be cheaper than the flight, not to mention, a heck of a lot less stressful than 4 connections. Given all of that and your wait/check-in time, driving would probably also be much faster.

I think Jet means 4 hours including time to make connecting flights. :)

WHEW!!!

Jet, for the hassle, of airports and such I'd just drive. It doesn't sound like it's going to take much longer and it will likely be less frustration in the end. Get yourself some good tunes to listen to and :auto:

Well, it was a 6hr trip from San José to Anaheim (Disneyland), and we drove it multiple times. However, I flew a couple of times and *loved* it. It was far less than 4 hours, though...I'm thinking just a couple. At any rate, we weren't going anywhere except Disneyland; if we'd been going to see family and friends, and there was a possiblity of car-tripping in that, then driving would have been better. Also, there's just not lots of things to see and do between San José and Anaheim if you take the fast route down I-5 (Hwy. 101 is a nicer drive, but it also adds almost an hour travel time), whereas from PA to VA would be a much nicer trip, seems to me.

Well, flying time may be 4 hours with connections but when you add in travel to and from airports, waiting in airports, etc....you may end up taking more than 6 hours.

I would drive. I only fly if it is more than a day's drive really.

We drive 12 hours to DH's family and 9 hours to Disney World yearly. We wouldn't even consider flying, although we also need a car while there. We even drove to Niagara Falls one year and Chicago another year.

We fly to the West Coast to visit family.

Dawn

I drive and fly. I would drive with those conditions. Flying is not fun at all and takes much more time than just the flight. What has also changed in the last sixteen years is the amount of times your flights are canceled or really delayed. Unfortunately, in the last year, I have had to fly a number of times (about 5 rt). I was also twice stuck in Chicago and my husband, who flies a lot, has also noticed the big increase over the years in very delayed or cancelled flights. Most airlines are losing money and they cancel flights if not nearly full, a lot.Southwest Airlines is one of the only ones actually turning a profit and I have had better service from them, too.

so would it be easier to drive 6 hrs to VA or fly which would be 4 w/connectors not including wait time pre.

I would drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But then I dislike flying, and add to the TSA, delays, possibly get stuck on a airplane for hours at a airport, and limits to what can be carried on (especially meds), well I rather go for a root canal than fly (and that is saying alot since I won't even go to dentist for a cleaning or to fill a cavity without years of procrastination).

The only time I will consider flying over driving is if the drive is over 14 hours long. I rather stop over night than to fly. We are looking into possibly going to Disney some time after our move to PA. I plan to drive.

If I had to be somewhere faster than driving would allow and it would be a very short stay (like a funeral or wedding, etc) then I would consider flying, but only if I am flying without children. Oh, and I would obviously fly if going overseas (which I never have done and don't even have a passport).

Edited by AnitaMcC

A 6 hour drive is very doable & less stressful & quicker than flying that same distance w/ a connecting flight. Between getting to the airport 1.5 hours early, going through security & waiting for the connecting flight, getting your bags & getting from the airport to your end destination, it could take you much longer than 6 hours.

I would only fly that distance if I was in a hurry & had a non-stop flight.

Flying can be very pleasant, (although I miss the pre 9/11 days) IF everything goes well. Add a connecting flight & you up the chances for delays & additional problems.

It took me all day to fly from Detroit to Philly once, and it's normally and 1.5 - 2 hour direct flight. But there were delays, missed planes and one or two connecting flights (by way of Atlanta, believe it or not).

Drive! With flight time, waiting, and connections, you'll get there faster and be in control of your trip. We also have a 6 hour trip coming up soon, and it never even occurred to us to fly. Thanks to expense, hassle, restrictions, etc. of air travel, I'd rather drive anywhere no matter how long the drive if at all possible.

LOL. I just read the title to this thread and immediately thought, "You haven't missed much."

Seriously. Drive. Plan so you won't be in rush hour traffic by either going at off hours, or planning an early dinner. Have fun!!!

Drive. Drive. Drive!

You won't be charged for luggage and you can have snacks.

On my mom's last flight (5 hrs), she was given drinks once and they collected the trash only right before landing.

I wish I could never fly again, I hate how awful it's become.