Menu

If you had to buy a box all in one.....

We used Calvert for Pre-K because I didn't know there was anything else. If I had to use a boxed curriculum, I would probably do SL for Pre-K because it's good a lot of good books, but I doubt I would use the schedule. That's just me. I would also consider using OM's K since it's really gentle and slow, but I'd add extra books. They don't have enough for my taste. For 2nd, we tried OM and had to supplement it a lot, and have almost entirely replaced it. I really like the idea, but it doesn't match my child. If you really want to do OM, I recommend using the 3rd grade if you have a strong reader and writer. I'd probably go with K12 or MBtP + math (they sell Right Start) if money were no object. I'd cut out the busy work in K12.

What exactly do you mean by All in One? Do you mean the teacher's manual contains everything? or do you mean where can you buy everything needed for the year in one order?

2nd grade:

For a curriculum with a teacher's manual for everything, I would use Calvert. everything is planned out for you with no thinking or planning. There is a Math manual and a teachers manual for all other subjects. This is truly an open and go curriculum with the day truly scripted and scheduled out for you. Just order the grade you need and everything is included. Great curriculum and easy to use.

For a boxed curriculum that contains books from one company, I would go with Bob Jones or Abeka. The is a teacher's manual for each subject but you just open it up to the days lesson and go. BJU has a more scripted lesson plan where as Abeka has pretty much just the schedule with some scripting. Both of these have everything needed to teach the course in the grade bundles, just order the bundle and your set. I personally prefer BJU over Abeka if the child is reading. Both are good.

I have not used MFW or HofD, but I have used SL It is not a complete curriculum unless you buy the Newcomers Pack, or whatever they are calling it now. You will get a schedule for the core, one for science, one for language but I am not sure about the math. Everything is included though from what I see. If you just purchase a core you will need a language, science, and math and you will need to do the scheduling for these. Personally I would not recommend this curriculum.

Pre-K...Abeka Phonics, ABC's & 123's, penmanship & Readiness Skills (plus coloring books, mazes and dot-to-dots)

2nd ... K12 (hands-down) the easiest open and go program I've used. The curriculm is *excellent* in the lower grades, with lots of enrichments options available for LA, history and science.

If money weren't an object, I'd go with Moving Beyond the Page. It looks fun and I could easily add to it. I heard about it to late for my DS (turning 10 next month) but might still consider it for DD (turning 8 next week). We are secular HS'ers so I really haven't considered a lot of the other mostly religious options out there.

Either Sonlight or Heart of Dakota. I like both very much. Overall, I prefer HOD because of the language arts (more traditional than SL, more of a systematic approach, less jumping around from topic to topic) , because it has more of a variety of ways for the children to learn (good for all learning styles), it's very skill focused, the reading schedule and the type of books they use allow you to dwell on the books and topics being taught, and it includes narration and drawing exercises that are integrated into the rest of the curriculum. Well, those are some of the reasons I would prefer HOD... I do like SL's science more, especially the DVDs and Science kits. And, their book selections are really good.

If I were going to buy a true all-in-one, it would be Calvert. It's stood the test of time, they use quality materials across the board. (I think other programs may do well in one subject but then all but ignore other areas.) It's rigorous...

I used Calvert myself from 4-6... While many aspects of it have changed over the years, some things really haven't, lol. :)

I like that it's *book*-oriented, not online.

If I had to pick a second choice, it would be Sonlight.

Wow Ladies! Usually my threads get very few answers. I'm asking because I need to simplify. I'm in school and I really wanna finish! I also don't wanna short change my children. I'm thinking that there are some programs that can give my kids what they need without my trying to reinvent the wheel, which I have no time to do. So...It seems like most of the suggestions are duplicates.

My Fathers World

Sonlight

Heart of Dakota

Calvert

K12

Moving Beyond the Page

Timberdoodle

Oak Meadow

Abeka

Bob Jones

Living Books Curriculum

Looks like I have lots of research to do.......thanks for all your help! I'm still taking suggestions so keep on giving them!:001_smile:

Has no one mentioned Winter Promise? I've never used it, but I would if I could afford it. With kids your ages, I'd probably use Animals and Their World because it would work for both kids.

I also love the look of My Father's World.

Hi,

If you're still considering Moving Beyond the Page...I used age 8-10 this past year and we really liked it. I did have to supplement Grammar and Writing with First Language Lessons and Writing with Ease but the Language Arts and Social Studies/Science was a lot of fun. We didn't do it exactly how they suggest, but did about 3-4 activities per day and sometimes skipped the projects if my dd wasn't interested, we'd have discussions instead. I loved that it introduced my dd to some great literature.

Has no one mentioned Winter Promise? I've never used it, but I would if I could afford it. With kids your ages, I'd probably use Animals and Their World because it would work for both kids.

I also love the look of My Father's World.

I thought I did, but instead I wrote MFW American Story 1. I meant WP :blush: I changed it. I would go with that. I also love the looks of Living Books Curriculum, but they go by grade and we have already covered Ancients and Middle Ages.

Edited by sagira

If for secular: Sonlight for PreK and then K12

Christian : Christian Light. Granted I'm Catholic and could go with a program like Seton or CHC. But their curriculum works for us , being that its very portable and most if not all the instruction is in the workbooks. If there was a Catholic program like Christian Light I'd use it in a heartbeat.

We use the Christian Light for Math, Reading and LA. I'll use Apologia for science and not sure what I'll use for history at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...