Menu

POLL: For early elementary (K-3), our favorite PHONICS program has been______

mhg

What has been your favorite PHONICS program for early elementary (K-3)?  

1. 1. What has been your favorite PHONICS program for early elementary (K-3)?

• Alpha Phonics
    • Explode the Code
    • My Father's World
    • Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading
    • Veritas Press' Phonics Museum
    • Phonics Pathways
    • Saxon Phonics
    • Sing, Spell, Read and Write
    • Teach Your Child to Read in 100 EZ Lessons
    • Other

What has been your favorite PHONICS program for early elementary?

You can vote more than once.

Same disclaimer as math poll.....I'm listing my top 10 "suspects" of popular programs, but I know there are other goodies out there, so if your pick isn't here, just write-in your fave.

Thanks! (for helping me in this debate)

Edited by mhg

Ours is the Dancing Bears series from the Uk. Short, simple, works great! Mine love it (even if #4 son isn't ready to read yet).

http://www.prometheantrust.org/usshop.htm

Though we will be switching to The Phonics Road in the fall just cause it will make my life so much easier to have a good solid all-in-one program and give them a firm foundation in lang arts without the messiness of too many programs. The hope is they will see the connections better.

http://www.thelatinroad.com/phonicsroad/

We are relatively new homeschoolers (finishing 2nd year). For my dd's K & 1st grade year, we used Catholic Heritage Curriculum (CHC) Little Stories for Little Folks. It's a word family approach to phonics, with sight words as needed. Although the stories are sweet (all based on the adventures of a little family) and we will continue to use the readers, we need a more intensive and systematic phonics approach here, so we are going to go with an Orton/Gillingham method, most likely Phonics Road Level 1

I don't think my wiggly pre-K dd can do PR level 1 yet, so I'm thinking of combining the fun of Happy Phonics ( Top 100 picks by Cathy Duffy!) with the drill of Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading--- got this idea from one of the members here. :)

Used A Beka Phonics (the only subject we use A Beka for) for K4-1 with my oldest and it worked fabulously.

Using it with my second son as well, but he was a more reluctant kindergartener, so we've been taking it slow. But, we got the Funnix program when it was given away free in January, and he has been working through it also. He's now reading on his own and everything in sight. I just love when that *click* happens and they realize that reading opens up a whole new world to them!

OPGTR, ETC, and SWR. I love this combination for phonics. After the short a lessons in ETC, I begun to dictate the lessons without the worksheets. I found this easier for my Ker then the SWR list. So we will just learn all the phongrams in SWR, continue with OPGTR and ETC and then go back to SWR when ds is ready for spelling other than our ETC way.

I do not have time to read all the other replies, but we LOVE Reading Made Easy by Valerie Bendt. She makes it simple and retains the LOVE of reading. Very important to me. It has worked on 3 of my own children and 2 children I tutor using it. No curriculum hopping for me! :001_smile:

I used OPGTR for my 1st son, but my second two boys all but taught themselves to read using Leap Frog Letter and Word Factories (DVDs) and Nora Gaydos incremental phonics readers. HUGE shout-out to those two resources!!! I love using All About Spelling to fill in the phonics rules that we missed when the boys took off on their own.

I voted other.

Abeka phonics worked like a charm for my DS. He was reading really quickly and has excellent spelling. It made sense to me and was easy to teach.

However, it didn't work for my DD. We haven't really found any ONE program that works for her. Mostly just drilling phonograms and adding TONS of reading, but she still needs some work.

I actually liked Calvert K (but I didn't like grades 1 or 2). The learn to read program was easy to use, and easy for the child to understand. After that, I like R&S (which starts in grade 1).