Moira (love)

Magdolna Ilona (Hungarian)

Teodora (Hungarian)

Phillipina (Austrian)

Rosalia (Hungarian)

Josefa (Hungarian)

Josefa (Hungarian)

Agatha (Hungarian)

Ursula (Hungarian - I suggested this one but it got knocked down by DH)

Esther

Maximillian

Balthazar

Ulrich

Kaspar (Jasper)

Istvan (Steven)

Sandor (Alexander)

Gyula (Julius)Gellert (Gerard)Gyorgy (George)

My dad's name was Howard Dennis, though he went by a nickname that didn't match either of those names. When I decided to name ds after him, I knew I didn't want to use Howard. It's my brother's middle name, and he hated it for years.

If ds had been a girl, I wanted to name her Mary, after my maternal grandmother. Dh likes my full name, Kathleen, and we talked about Mary Kathleen. To me it sounded too much like a nun's name LOL! I'm glad he was a boy because we didn't have any disagreements over the boy name.

Asher, Ashton, Ashan. Three boys names from a long time ago that appeared in my dad's family tree,

I have a friend whose son is named Ashford, which was a family name on her side.

If ds had been a girl, I wanted to name her Mary, after my maternal grandmother. Dh likes my full name, Kathleen, and we talked about Mary Kathleen. To me it sounded too much like a nun's name LOL!

I have a Mary-Catherine. It does remind me of a nun. :D

One GM had a name that's made a comeback: Grace. The other I adore, but has never been popular: LeOra. I also had a great-aunt Avis and I love it. Grandpas: George and Allen.

My husband had a grandma Muriel (love it, wish it'd make a comeback) and Barbara. Grandfathers were Ray and Douglas.

Elizabeth and Frances are the two running names on my side and I even found it on dh's side...and usually one is the first and the other is the middle (except in one case of twins where both are first names).

Hortense, Sivia, Louise, Ethel, Mary (yeah, not much to use there). Emil, Vance, Eugene, Grady, Troy (not much there either).

Strangest name combination is an ancestor named Marmaduke Milton Miles/Myles.

Dh's grandfather's middle name was supposed to be Raphael, but somebody heard his mother wrong and put Rayfield on the birth cert.

Here is a pretty name of my aunt in her 90's: Deirdre. Her middle name is Bernice.

I've got one of those, although I spelled it Berenice because it looks prettier and her nickname is Berry. My mom's another Bernice in a long line of them (and Juliannas) and she was very happy I picked it. She was even happier I thought of a cute nickname because she hates Bernie.

Hazel

Irene (I love this name but my sister already called it as her first girl's middle :glare:)

Marie (as a first name, it is really overused as a middle)

Mabel (I love this name, as well)

Walter (as a middle)

I don't know of anyone in my family with these names, but from their generation:

Margaret

Catherine

Elizabeth (my middle :))

Emma

Elsie

Mae (as a middle)

Cora

Audrey

Allie

Lorraine

Samuel

Julius

Ollie

Solomon

Elton

Alright, I'll stop, because my lists can go on and on. I love older names.

Edited by BeatleMania

I'm loving this thread as we are expecting our 5th child and trying to choose a name! I love older names, but my older dds aren't liking many of my choices lol

In our family - my great grandmother was Frances Elizabeth. I have thought about using Frances as a middle name. My oldest dd loves Elizabeth and wants me to use that.

My grandmothers are Betty (Betsy) May and Cora Lucille. I like Betsy - no one in my family does. My middle name is Mae after my grandmother (she didn't know how it was spelled until after I was born!) and my middle daughter's middle name is Mae also. I like Cora Lucille (Lucie is so cute!) - my grandmother hates Cora and goes by Lucille.

Other family names:

Helen

Mary

Beverly

Clarissa (we are strongly considering a form of this)

Margaret ('Peg' - don't like)

Naomi (pretty!)

Thelma

Wilma

We don't have an Esther or Cecilia in our family, but I have always loved both names.

My grandfather's are LaVerne and Glen Lee. My grandad has always hated LaVerne and goes by Vern. Glen and Lee have both been used numerous times as middles.

My husband's name is Garr - after his father and grandfather - all with different middles. So far we have one son and made this his middle. He doesn't want to give it as a first name b/c it has been such a headache for him over the years spelling and explaining!

Other family names:

Lawrence (like this)

Chester

Kenneth

Warren (my dad's middle)

I can't think of any others right now :)

Edited by JessaMae
added another name!

All of my paternal family is from Norway so they all have names like:

Torger

Olaf

Bjarne

Erik

My maternal side is full of names I hope never come back:

Evelyn (my middle name and I hate it)

Doris

Virgil

Dorothy

Corky (not a nickname. Seriously)

Ethel

Trella

Lowell

My grandfather was a Charles. I wanted to have a little boy and name him Charles, so I could call him Charlie, which I think is just the most wonderful little boy name. Dh vetoed that.

Oh I think so too! I've always loved Charles and Harry--- long before the Royal Family nudged them into prominence.

astrid

Old Names from both sides:

Angeline (my grandmother, I love it..if we had any girls we would be there)

Eva (I like Eve better but like this one too)

Jane (like it)

Shirley (no)

Rosella (I like the two names but not the mix so much)

Signe (dh's great great grandmother...my 2nd favorite)

Phylis (nope)

Bertha (no)

Marguerite (not for me, but I'd love to see some kind of come back)

Axel (used it)

Gerald (nope)

LaVerne (nope)

Kerchival (that's my brothers duty, not mine)

John (we used a Welsh version of this)

Herbert (no way)

Conrad (nope)

Wilhelm (no)

August (no)

Shorty (no)

Allan (used it)

Pearson (not bad)

Russell (not bad)

We used to live behind a woman named Rosalinda when I was in grade school. I thought that was the most beautiful name.

My grandfather, born in 1901, was named Ross Oliver. According to the Name Voyager, it was popular in the late 1800s, lost popularity, then peaked again in the 1980s.

Well, what do you know!

Evelyn (my middle name and I hate it)
I love the name Evelyn and I hate to tell you, but it's already on it's way back. When I was growing up, I hated my middle name (Lilian), but that has come on back and now it sounds pretty to me. (I never use it, though, because I use my maiden name for my middle.)

I don't see Georgina anywhere. We named our little girl Georgina Rose, my son is William James (we are a pretty traditional family)

My mum is Mary Hazel, which I love

Our other family ones are

Sybil

Sylvia

Iris

Rosina

Joan

Janet

Christopher

Joseph

Robert

Lenard

David

My grandmothers were Corinne May and Patsy Mae. I REAAAALY wanted to name dd9 May or Maye, but dh said that it was a grandma name. Well, yeah ... ;)

My great grandmothers were Mary Isobel, Ethel, Mirinda (not Miranda, Mirinda), and Sarah. I love love love the name Sarah. My niece is Sara (SAH-rah). I liked the name Isobel, but dh's sister's deceased daughter is Isabelle, so Isobel was obviously out.

My grandfathers were Cecil and Arthur. I like Arthur but it sounds horrendous with our last name. My great grandfathers were Cecil, unknown, Clay Spencer, and William. I like Spencer, but, once again, it sounds bad with the last name. A great great grandfather name I like is Truman.

A granny name (not our grannies, but a granny name nonetheless) we both liked is Violet, but combined with our last name it sounds like Violent Murder. Hmmm, not so good. I also liked Sylvie and Evelyn. Dh did NOT like Sylvie but Evelyn made the short list.

Soon after adopting our third child, I was CONVINCED I was pregnant. Sore b00bs, tired, nauseated, the whole deal. It took us 8 1/2 months to narrow first child's name down to four possibilities: 2 boy, 2 girl. When I thought I was pregnant with the possible 4th child, I told dh, "I think I'm pregnant." He said, "We'd better work on names now." We went into our room, and 8 minutes later we had Ivy Coraline and Arlo Thomas.

I was not pregnant.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

My grandmothers and great-grandmothers were Imelda, Margaret, and Mabel. My dh's were Vera, Mary, and Clara. I like Margaret and Clara :001_smile:

One name that I wish I had used was Mae. LOVE it. All of the women on my dh's side have it as a middle name, but I think it is precious as a first name. I have a daughter named Lillian - another favorite oldie. I also love Evelyn and Adelaide.

I have a crazy number of ancestors named Humphrey Posey. I will NOT pass that on! And I'm willing to bet that it won't make a comeback either.

My maternal grandparents are Myrl and Maurine. Lovely, wonderful people.... but I wouldn't want to use those names. My paternal grandmother was Lillian. I would love to give that a little twist and have a Lilly Anne.....that name was actually on our list of possible girl names for dd- then I found out that it was my sister's top pick of girl names! We were pregnant at the same time and when I mentioned the possibility to my mom, she told me that my sis planned on using it for a girl, so we nixed it without letting her know we even considered it. Then she had a boy and we had a girl! Oh, well. It is beautiful and I hope I have a niece someday by that name!

Elizabeth (This one never goes away.)

Cleo

Elaine (This one IS back.)

Margaret

Esther (I think this one will come back.)

Bertha ( I don't foresee this one coming back.)

Petronilla (Still have no idea where this one came from.) Rita

Eulalia

Louise Wilhelmina

Flossie

We've used Elizabeth & Elaine. And, obviously our girls have old names, most of them anyway.

There is GREAT debate going on in this house about the name of the next girl and almost all the names on the short list are old names.

DH loves Isabella with a passion.

I'd take Sophia, Evalyn, Adelaide, Rachel, Olivia, or Lydia.

My grandmothers were Corinne May and Patsy Mae. I REAAAALY wanted to name dd9 May or Maye, but dh said that it was a grandma name. Well, yeah ... ;)

We have a little girl in the neighborhood named Mae. It was here great grandmothers name. She is a beautiful little girl - annoying, but beautiful. I love the simplicity of the name. We named our oldest daughter Ila, after my grandmother. I love names with a family connection.

I've been digging through old boxes and came across some family tree stuff. It made me think of this thread.

I had a great great great grandma named Cinderella! How cool is that? And my great grandmother (in the same line) was named Arizona.

Laura (Lauren is pretty common, but you don't see too many Lauras)

Bernadette

Rose

Harriet

Hattie (one in my family tree actually WAS a hat-maker!)

Many "old fashioned" names that I loved when I was a little girl and planned on naming my own child back then came back into roaring fashion by the time I had DD. Emily, Isabelle, Elizabeth, etc.

The boys names I like are still all in fashion -- names like Charles, William, Nathaniel, etc. There are others in my family history that are just awful and should stay buried. Here's the short-list:

Enoch

Humphrey

Exelepha

Eugene (for GENERATIONS, and my poor dad was saddled w/it too & always HATED it!)

Francis

Bridgett and Evelyn are plenty on different sides of the family tree

Evelyn Lucille

Ronald Louis and Evelyn (My grandfather has a sister Evelyn and and wife Evelyn)

Ettie (not a nickname)

Bridgett and Bartholomew (married and both had mothers named Bridgett O'Flaherty)

(My middle name is Bridgett, imagine that)

Elizabeth Leatherhead Cutter

Edna Alice and Benjamin Augustus

Nora

Edward (Eddie) and Marie

Robert (Bob) and Eleanor

Donald (Don) and Marie

Geraline (Gerry)

Noreen Elizabeth and Keith Edward

I named my daughter Elisabeth Alice after Noreen Elizabeth and Edna Alice

We're done, but I do like Lucille and would use it, and Benjamin and possibly Louis as a middle name. I hope that Bridgett, Eliz(s)abeth, and Evelyn are passed down, because they are so ingrained in the ancestry.

Edited by piraterose

I have a Lucy after my grandmother. I'm suprised it's not more popular now.

Other family names include Arminta and Vinita. Nope, not going there.

There's a girl at my son's preschool named after her grandfather, Charleigh. I love it!