Menu

Do you listen to one style of music mostly?

Please answer the poll and then discuss. Do you listen to mostly one style of music or do you have ecletic style?

I'll start- I am a very eclectic music listener. I listen to Classical, folk, rock, party, Christian, country, blue, big band, and I am sure I left out much.

Contemporary Christian. I used to listen to country all the time, but now that I have a kid, the words just don't do it for me. And it seems like I'm understanding less and less of the words.

I am more into what the song is saying than the sound. I like contemporary Christian because there is a variety of sounds but the words are all good.

If I'm in the car listening to the radio then it is pretty much contemporary pop music. At home, I listen to a variety of stuff - Ancient Faith Radio over the internet which is mainly Byzantine/Russian chant; Christian, top 40s, bluegrass, classical, rock. Pretty much everything except rap, heavy metal, or country.

Sort of. I probably listen to country music the most, but I listen to a HUGE variety of stuff. DD and I both love music and almost constantly have music on.

I listen to music for the lyrics, I like stuff I can relate too. DD listens for the beat, she likes stuff she can dance too. Anyone else see a problem here? :lol:

(My top 3 though would be: country, Spanish/French/Portuguese artists of all genres, and top 40-pop)

I see people are being more specific than I was with my "eclectic".

My current Pandora channels:

Harry Belafonte - calypso, caribbean folk and Bob Marley!

Andy Griffith - gospel, southern and Appalachian folk, humor

James Galway - instrumental (flute) classical

Norah Jones - jazz pop

Celtic Thunder - celtic music

James Taylor - 70's folk-rock

The King's Singers - vocal chamber music, madrigals, arrangements of pop music, religious

Perry Como - which includes all the crooners from the 50's and 60's

One of my Pandora channels is "Celtic Thunder" and James Galway comes up on there a lot. <swoon> I love his music, especially with Phil Coulter. I grew up listening to James Galway because my sister started playing flute in 4th grade and loved anything flute - related. :tongue_smilie:

Very, very eclectic.

I love music and am always finding something new to listen to---thanks, mainly, to my two older kids, who are music aficionados.

I listen to everything from baroque to metal, with classical, 40's, Broadway, alternative, big band, classic rock, techno, indie rock, grunge, and more in between.

I don't listen to a lot of country, rap, or hip-hop.

I ADORE Christmas music, but, only from November to January :)

60% Baroque

35% all the rest of classical, currently going Opera-crazy.

5% or less, other. I like the swing years.

Just 12 years ago or so I was still listening to The Smiths, The Cure and Love Spit Love, but something aged in me as I entered my 40s.

I'd always loved Bach, but I remember driving along the west coast of the Big Island, and one of Chopin's nocturnes came on. I suddenly "got it". I had been somehow shamed by the PASSION in the music (while not being shy of all the explicit lyrics of the 60s and 70s), and I just had to be older to be able to hold the music, to not turn away from it.

For me, Pollini will always "be Chopin" to me. This is the version I heard that dark, velvety night, driving along with my ex, knowing for sure he'd leave me, and that hearing this and watching the Milky Way would be the last close moment we would ever have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFVQx9yxMcE

One style: whatever no one else likes. :lol:

I like the 60s & 70s, but there's good stuff earlier, too. I like some Christian music, but virtually nothing on the radio--Michael Card singing about Job, for ex. Most people would be bored or depressed, I think. The obscure stuff that comes w/ an interview on NPR, big band, anything that surprises me or makes me laugh or makes me think.

But mostly I'd rather listen to NPR. Music is very distracting. :lol:

I tend to like fast music a lot of the time, but I've been known to like other things too. My favorites are 80's/90's pop and alt rock, Hindi pop (Bollywood-style stuff), folk, hymns, and this and that. I should branch out more. I like things in other languages.

My Pandora chanels are:

U2 (U2, Coldplay, etc...)

Dixie Chicks (contemporary pop-style country)

Bruno Mars (this gives me some contemporary R&B mixed with old-school Mo-Town.....with the occasional thumbs down for explicit material:001_huh:)

Trans-Siberian Orchestra (I don't listen to traditional classical, but I love them)

adult alternative (Mumford & Sons, occasional thumbs down for explicit material)

alternative country (Waylon, Willie, etc....)

I put it on Quick-Mix and get a very nice variety

I think I'm very eclectic, but a lot of what I listen to can be boiled down to classic Americana/roots rock (85% of my playlist). This can include folk, country, bluegrass, blues, rock, singer/songwriter, classic rock, motown, soul. I also like big band, swing, classical, punk, some jazz, some world music (especially Indian, Malian, and Middle Eastern) but on a much lower scale.

I'm not big on pop (although I make some exceptions),metal, or hardcore.

I listen to an extremely wide variety of music! My favorite singer is Enrique Iglesias. I love Latin music, country music, ABBA, rock, pop, classical, Celtic, pretty much everything except rap and really heavy metal.

I listen to an extremely wide variety of music! My favorite singer is Enrique Iglesias. I love Latin music, country music, ABBA, rock, pop, classical, Celtic, pretty much everything except rap and really heavy metal.

I have a crush on Enrique :001_wub: