Menu

To Bible or Not to Bible

How does your family study the Bible? (choose one or more)  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How does your family study the Bible? (choose one or more)

• Bible class during school hours
    • Weekly family devotional time
    • Daily family devotional time
    • No formal Bible study

In the two years since we began homeschooling, I haven't taught Bible. My philosophy has been to integrate a Christian worldview into our studies, rather than segregate it as a separate subject. But with the release of Peace Hill Press' new Bible curriculum, and my youngest child coming into kindergarten, I'm wondering if it might be a good way to start the morning with all three of them. Then again, I've really wanted our whole family to have a weekly time in the Word, so I'm wondering if I should get a curriculum to use that way on an evening.

...So if you're a Christian and you...

...teach Bible, please share how you do it, what you like about doing it and which curriculum(s) you use.

...don't teach Bible, please share why not.

...have a Bible/devotional time daily or weekly apart from school with your husband and children, please share how you do that.

Well, I will share what we do. To me, the most important aspect of homeschooling is that we get the privilege of imparting Biblical truth and worldview as much as we can. You are right in saying we need to live it. Absolutely, we walk out our faith in front of our children or nothing we say will have any merit. However, I also firmly believe we need to teach it. Every morning we start our day after breakfast with Bible. I have done my own this year, but think next year we will use Bible Study Guide for All Ages. We either read a story from the children's Bible, I tell a story, we have done lapbooks, unit studies, character studies. My kids love to color so we incorporate a lot of that. After the "lesson" we work on memory work. This year we have memorized Psalm 100, Psalm 23, A-Z verses (currently on "T"), the Ten Commandments, The books of the Old and New Testament, and other "Bible knowledge" facts as they come up. (Much is done to music) We then sing a song, sometimes a fun Bible song, sometimes a hymn or praise song, and then pray and start our day. Bible is the kids favorite part of the day. It is amazing how easily they learn, and I really want them to learn the truths/doctrines of the faith so that as they grow in the Lord Scripture and doctrine is ready in their minds to be applied to their lives.

At night, (most nights) we have family worship. We sometimes use a children's devotional book or just read a passage of Scripture, do a catechism book (we use Big Truths for Little Kids) sing a song of choice from the kids and a hymn or praise song we are working on memorizing, then pray together.

Our Christian worldview permeates everything we do, every subject Christian or not, but as far as Biblical training, we choose to be very intentional. hope that helps! :)

We have scheduled Bible reading times every day. I will not get things done unless it's scheduled out. We are going to be trying out TGS starting in about a week. I am also going to have daily Bible readings following our Sonlight guide schedule. I am planning on reading the child portion while they are coloring the picture and discussing. If any of the projects seem like they will take too long for mornings, then we will save them for the weekend in TGS. If it is easy and to the point, we'll do the next day and tie it into the reading on Monday.

Does that help at all? :001_huh: :tongue_smilie:

I'm afraid I have no help, but am in the same boat. I have wanted to do the same with my three children, but I haven't made the time for it yet or found the right fit. I'm sure you'll get a lot of great ideas here though.

To the contrary, it's always helpful to know I'm in good company :)

My sons both use their AWANAs work for devotional time. My youngest can't go it alone yet, but everyone else does their devotions solo.

Each child also gets Bible study time for school, but I don't include it on anything I report back to the school system. My oldest is starting apologetics, my middle child is presently doing his own reading and discussing with me, but I'm planning on getting CLP's 'Studying God's Word' for both boys. Right now, my youngest and I read a story together out of his children's Bible. My oldest is working on reading the Bible cover to cover.

We all find both the study and the devotional times rewarding. Dd calls it "uplifting" :D.

Both Bible taught directly, and integrating it into other studies and life here.

What we did:

Sang hymns in the car (I know so many by heart)

Prayed in the car, too

Prayed at home

Talked about applications and such in other studies and in life in general

Went to church and Sunday school every week and extras when available seasonally

Talked about the church year and celebrated it enthusiastically

And studied the Bible directly using Concordia Publishing House's Voyages series starting in 3rd or 4th grade.

Before that, integrated Bible with SOTW1 and did Bible reading and discussion most days

My regret is that we didn't do more memorization. I let resistance dominate that, and I am sorry now. Verses that I memorized as a child come back to me all the time now, and it's quite a blessing. OTOH, DD does know a lot of hymns by heart (they rhyme, and you sing them, so that's easier to pick up) and she is very familiar with Scripture even though she doesn't know it word for word. But I wish that I had forced that issue, especially in grades 2-4 when it's so easy to memorize and when it stays with you forever.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Well, I will share what we do. To me, the most important aspect of homeschooling is that we get the privilege of imparting Biblical truth and worldview as much as we can. You are right in saying we need to live it. Absolutely, we walk out our faith in front of our children or nothing we say will have any merit. However, I also firmly believe we need to teach it. Every morning we start our day after breakfast with Bible. I have done my own this year, but think next year we will use Bible Study Guide for All Ages. We either read a story from the children's Bible, I tell a story, we have done lapbooks, unit studies, character studies. My kids love to color so we incorporate a lot of that. After the "lesson" we work on memory work. This year we have memorized Psalm 100, Psalm 23, A-Z verses (currently on "T"), the Ten Commandments, The books of the Old and New Testament, and other "Bible knowledge" facts as they come up. (Much is done to music) We then sing a song, sometimes a fun Bible song, sometimes a hymn or praise song, and then pray and start our day. Bible is the kids favorite part of the day. It is amazing how easily they learn, and I really want them to learn the truths/doctrines of the faith so that as they grow in the Lord Scripture and doctrine is ready in their minds to be applied to their lives.

At night, (most nights) we have family worship. We sometimes use a children's devotional book or just read a passage of Scripture, do a catechism book (we use Big Truths for Little Kids) sing a song of choice from the kids and a hymn or praise song we are working on memorizing, then pray together.

Our Christian worldview permeates everything we do, every subject Christian or not, but as far as Biblical training, we choose to be very intentional. hope that helps! :)

I admire your intentionality and consistency.

I think I shy away from Scripture memory because they get so much of that with Awana and I'm always concerned about it becoming rote. Also, there's a good amount of poetry memorization and such with TWTM.

My kids love coloring as well, but again, I think they get so much of that in Awana, Sunday School, and also with our other school subjects.

The musical side is tough because none of them like singing in front of other people (even just their family!), especially my oldest.

We pray throughout the day (meals, bedtime, etc.), have spiritual conversations, and they've had a steady diet of Bible stories all their lives so they are well versed but I want to step it up a bit, and make sure to connect the heart with the head. I think one reason I haven't been more pro-active is because they have demonstrated by who they are and what they say that they really do get it - their spiritual insights, kindness to others, obedience, etc. I'm always amazed and grateful.

I will check out the books you mentioned to see if any might be a good fit, so thanks for sharing those.

Well my children and I attend Bible Study Fellowship (BSF http://www.bsfinternational.org/Classes/tabid/74/Default.aspx) a non denominational, international Bible Study that meets at host churches throughout the world. We really enjoy it, and it provides for daily Bible study throughout the school year.

For family "devotions" we use the Family Night Tool Chest Heritage Builders (there is a series but here is one: http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Family-Nights-Heritage-Builders/dp/0781400961). It is a really fun and Biblical way to make the Scriptures applicable to life. They have different books grouped by "themes" and it is written like a complete lesson plan SUPER easy and NOT time consuming. A great way to apply His Word to our lives, and have fun while doing it. A catchy slogan helps you remember the Biblical Truth taught as well. With Awanas and BSF, it is difficult to find the time for the Family Night Devotions, but we are going to begin them again one evening per week now that BSF has ended and the kids are THRILLED!

I bought a book of family devotions regarding the catechism, why we believe what we believe and what God requires of us. We are Baptists, so not perhaps a catechism as others might use one, yet I think this will be REALLY helpful for us this summer.

So while we are always referring to the Bible for life, learning, and correction, but it is also neat to integrate that using "curriculum" as well, for example, we use Apologia science.

Honestly, I basically try to teach them Biblical Truths throughout day to day life vs. separating it as a subject? Yesterday DS 8 and I got to have a great time with him reading Ecclesiastes to me. He has had great difficulty maintaining order, finding what he needs, etc. So we opened the Bible and he read all of Ecc 3; which included "There is a time to search and a time to stop, a time to keep and a time throw away!" Pure joy to this momma's ears!

Interested to hear what others will say!

I would really like to do the Apologia world view curriculum, maybe next summer. We have some more basic things to tackle right now? Although my kiddos are 4 & 8.

We focus quite a bit on memorizing Scripture.

Just not sure about buying one more book before I start using what I already have?

I also have the Answers in Genesis curriculum. Hm..looks like I need to focus on what we're doing this summer in our character training vs. finishing buying the next school year's books?

Thanks for this post, I was feeling like a failure, and getting to reflect here gave me a little boost!

ETA: I will also plunk out some hymns on our piano (taking lessons, no pro), but even with only one hand, I can play songs either from the Wee Sing series or a hymnal if there's not too much going on in the song! Also for smaller ones, we used Great Bible Adventures http://www.imponline.com/great-bible-adventures/. A friend had these and I was able to find them on eBay or on Craigslist. Big fun, the Bible stories are on cards, and as you read them 12 cards per story, the flip side has a piece of a picture. The kiddos can try to make the puzzle picture, which directly corresponds with the Bible story, great for younger ones!

Edited by heartlandsahm
ETA

I agree with you completely with integrating Bible into your schooling. Here we also make sure that we have intentional conversation about the Bible during day to day conversations.

We also do not start our day without reading the Bible together and praying. When the guys were little they had readings at naptime and bedtime. We have some great memories of snuggling in bed over the Word.

We also do AWANA and extra memory work and sometimes we have Bible study going on as well.

I was raised with the idea that church taught us all we need to know about being a Christian. Unfortunately, at an hour per week a child's Bible education would be less than a grade one education. It's a blessing to enourage our littles in knowing God. It's never too early for them to become familiar with the Bible.

This is our 1st year to use Rod & Staff for my dd. It is the 1st of a 4 year study of the bible chronilogically. She is learning alot and likes the workbook. She uses the bible (KJV) to seek out answers. She is also learning how to use a bible dictionary and concordance. We have used a variety of ways for our bible study and devotions since we started homeschooling 8 years ago. When she was younger we read bible stories and she did a variety of activities that young children enjoy doing (coloring, dot to dots, etc) We used MFW for a few years and Bible was integrated into the curriculum, but we always read bible stories and prayed as a family at night before bed. In this season of life now, dd has her own devotion time in the morning, we pray before lessons, and then she is off to begin her bible lessons with Rod & Staff. We have family prayer, nightly, with Dad however, I would like to get back to having bible story time and prayer with Dad at night.

All we've done at this point is read through a Bible story book to prepare for digging deeper next year. DS will be in 1st next year, and I've decided to go with Veritas Press Bible curriculum.

I find it helpful to remember the classical ed stages and apply that to Bible as well. I want to take advantage of the grammar stage "sponge brain" and pour in as much of God's Word as possible. The easiest way for me to do that and make sure I cover everything is to work through Scripture and have dc learn what is in the Bible (have Bible time during school). They then will have those pegs on which to hang information, etc from their next level of study.

My goal - have "academic" Bible time in order to dive into Scripture at an appropriate developmental, academic level and have family devotional time in order to learn the elements of worship, to train them behavior-wise, and to learn how to have personal devotions.

Worldview development does start early, but if I remember correctly, logic stage is when you really start working on connections between disciplines. That is why I think it is more developmentally appropriate in the grammar stage explicitly to answer the question, "What is in the Bible?" . Then as they mature intellectually, spiritually, etc, they will ask, "How should the Bible influence my thoughts and actions?" Approaching this question with a foundation of what is really in the Bible sounds much easier to me!

We integrate our faith into our schooling throughout the day, but don't use a separate Bible curriculum.

We also have daily family devotions. My dh chooses a book of the Bible, and all of the readers (so everyone except ds5) reads 1 chapter of the chosen book/night. Dh wakes all the boys up every morning at 7:30 (minus ds5) and then we discuss the chapter from the day before.

We're currently reading Hebrews. Well, except for ds7. He recently informed us he had a good reason for not reading along. When dh asked what that was, ds7 said "I can't find it!" :lol:.

During breakfast we take turns reading from the scriptures (KJV) and discuss it briefly as a family. (about 10 min.)

Later in the day, after we finish our 3 R's, we have devotional. This is when we practice learning a song, have a prayer, recite the scripture of the week to learn it, and then have a quick story time from a children's bible. (about 15)

Then ONCE a week we have family home evening where, as a family, in the evening after dinner, we have a song, prayer, short lesson (things like being honest, birth of Christ, importance of work, etc.) & activity to reinforce, another song, and a closing prayer. Then dessert. The kids look forward to family home evening every week.

We study a scripture story each day (okay, probably 4 out of 5 school days per week).

We read scriptures, sing hymns and pray together every night.

One night a week we study something religious in depth, sing and pray together (I'm LDS, we try to have Family Home Evening once per week).

I am a Christian that has had two sets of children. My adult children were raised very differently than my youngest in that I passed on a worldview, prayed with them and instilled Christian values and modeled to them my own life of prayer and Bible reading - but I did not teach them to study the Bible for themselves. I mistakenly left that up to the church. With my later in life child, I finally realized that teaching all aspects of studying scripture is up to me. Because my older children have left the faith, I am especially mindful of the need to be more thorough in "training up" my dd.

Because of this experience and realization, I have decided to use Bible curriculum for daily homeschool lessons so that my dd has a really good understanding of the Bible. A Christian worldview is woven into our daily studies for sure. We also engage in family Bible studies and prayer, we are part of a mid-week small group that has lessons for kids, and she goes to Sunday school. There is a huge difference between her understanding of God's word and my older children's understanding. The homeschool curriculum is one of the major components in this.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

For me, "Bible" isn't a subject. It's what I would teach my dc anyway, as a Christian. It's my job to teach my dc when I rise up and when I lie down and when I walk in the road.

My dc received more formal instruction at church, but they received it daily from me.

I started off thinking it was okay for our family to skip it. After all, the christian school was doing it for me. When we descided to homeschool, the first year was such a focus on the 3r's that it sort of got lost. Now, I realize what a blessing it actually is. We don't do a formal bible program because I don't want it to be a drugery and just another subject. What we do (for now) is read bible stories together and discuss them. My children have grown so much doing this, I wish we had started sooner. They are little and I may do something more in depth when they are older. I would also add that we have a family bible reading time once a week with dh. We also try our best to live and breathe it in our daily lives. As fallen creatures this is sometimes hard to do but I digress....

First we used- Leading little one to God

Now we're in - The Child's Story Bible(Vos)----My 10 year old actually asked me last week, "How is it that people before the time of Jesus- were saved and can go to heaven?"--- It brought tears to my eyes--I will never skip bible again.

Edited by MyLittleBears

This coming year in addition to discussions, short morning (fun) devotions and the ongoing effort to have some family bible time when Dad is home I've decided to schedule R&S Bible. I realized my children have not systematically been covering the bible and fundamental doctrine and I think they need to. This will replace their personal bible reading time which some in my house do better than others :D My DH is going to do R&S Bible 6 alongside DS since *he* has such a poor understanding of the OT. I think good solid instruction in bible fundamentals is very profitable.

For most of my time homeschooling and self-educating, the Bible has stood as the core of our unit studies.

The Bible is the reading book. Copywork is scripture. Writing prompts are based the day's scripture portion. Outlining is taught using scripture. History and science are taught when mentioned, or something similar is mentioned in scripture.

Geography is taught using Bible lands and then extended to church history, missionary biographies, and sometimes current events which are supplemented with reading Operation World.

Even at times when my faith has been zero, I have used the Bible as the core of homeschooling...because...it is totally unfamiliar to do it any other way...and I don't know how :-0

Prepared Bible curriculums are the reading/literature curriculum, music, arts and crafts curriculum, geography curriculums, etc. They are cheap and often free.

We do a family devo every morning after breakfast. Then during school hours we work on Bible memory, and I'm working through Egermeier's story Bible from cover to cover this year. My kids are younger, so I thought it would be a good basis. I'm not sure what we'll do in later years. But we'll definitely continue the Bible memory and family devos. I've also taught hymns and Christian music off and on (in English) since my kids don't get them at church in a foreign country.

During Circle Time in the morning three days a week we memorize Creeds (Apostle's last year and Nicene this), Hymns, Catechism (for young Children), Bible (longer passages ... Gen 1-2:4, Ps 130, Luke 2), and we're adding some Christian songs from Jamie Soles.

Throughout the day we talk of God and his sustaining of all things. I love this post by Tracy in Ky ... time for me to re-read it too!

We do study Bible also during our school day, using Covenantal Catechism which we love but is very, very Reformed.

After dinner while we're still sitting around the table my husband usually read some sort of devotional or children's Bible. In the past we've done Big Truths for Little Kids, My ABC Bible Verses, Discovering Jesus in Genesis, God's Alphabet for Life (we loved this inexpensive little book, here's my review), Teach them to Your Children, and The Jesus Storybook Bible. Now we're reading through the Vos Children's Story Bible. Then we pray.

I really appreciate all your ideas. I will be referring back to this thread when I start planning.

When I told my husband I was thinking about using a Bible curriculum and he thought I meant for the family, but that made realize we actually could all do it together before he goes to work every morning!

We do:

• Scripture Memory
  • Grapevine Bible
  • Integrate Biblical matters into most of what we're doing

As for the last one listed this means we do Bible verses for copywork, we tend to read books and then discuss them with the children bringing up Biblical matters, we read devotionals on occasion, and we usually aim to read a children's Bible over breakfast but that doesn't always happen.

I don't like being preached at so I simply read my children Bible stories. I want them to know all of the Bible stories by heart, just as I did when I was a child. When they reach the upper grades, I will have them read CS Lewis and other devotionals recommended on the Ambleside curriculum.

I do not do Bible study curriculum where it puts together this train of thought and a moral for the story. I think the Bible speaks for itself. We did do catechism for ds when he was preparing for first communion, but other than that, I don't use material that tells me what the Bible teaches.

I do the same for myself. I read the devotionals recommended by Ambleside or classic Christian books such as St. Augustine's confessions. Then I read the Bible through every year, about 3 chapters a day (I began that this year). That is what I will have my kids do once they are beyond the early years.

We have a set of books that you often see in Dr's offices called The Bible Story by Arthur S Maxwell. There are ten books in the set and they simply tell the Bible stories. Just reading the stories as been such a blessing to me, which is what inspired me to read the entire Bible through this year.

You don't have to have someone explaining some Biblical truth to you in order to receive a blessing from spending time with the Bible - just read the Bible for what it is and listen to what it says, and you will be amazed at what truths pop out at you.

So that's my approach, for what it's worth.

We include Bible as a subject.

This year:

* we read a Bible story & I ask a few questions to make sure they were paying attention

* dd does a craft that pertains to the story

* dd has a color page or two in her file folder that she sometimes does (the ones she doesn't do just get put into a box with a bunch of blank color pages that the dc can use whenever they'd like)

* ds works from the Small Catechism - 2 workbook pages a week and memorization

* both dc have verses to memorize

* a few times a week we do a devotional from this book

We read through the scriptures in the evening as part of our bedtime routine. We don't use any curriculum, but dh and I explain things to our dc as we read.

ETA: if we were morning people, I'd love to do this in the morning before dh goes to work. But as it is, only one ds is a morning person, and the other 5 of us growl at people who want to interact too early in the morning. It's probably not the best atmosphere for reading the Bible. :D

Edited by bonniebeth4

Both of my children have used R&S grade 1 reading which is all Bible and has the memorization scheduled out. My children are only 2 yrs apart, so the younger was around when the older was doing it, and now the older is getting it in review while little sis is doing it.

We also have the R&S Bible Stories to Read and coloring books for each. We are still working slowly through. A couple of times a week I read them a story from it while they color after lunch.

Last year one of my dds took a Bible class at co-op. And both attend Sun. school and children's church each week, VBS in the summers, and have attended short church camps. We learn the prayers in Latin with Prima Latina, and we pray them together daily and in church. So like you, I think it has just permeated our school, and I feel it has been enough up to now.

So far, I have nothing formal planned for next year, but am thinking it might be time to add something more formal for my oldest. At the least, I plan to assign reading from her children's study Bible that has archeological and cultural info with it. I have thought about getting her Memoria Press' christian studies, but haven't decided yet.

Bible has always been a subject in our homeschool, and we have family devotions at night with Dad, too.

In school, I've chosen a variety of approaches such as formal curricula like BJU or PAC, character study together, worldview study together, and my dd has read christian literature this year (Max Lucado, Josh McDowell,etc.). My ds has been using BJU 2nd grade Bible this year.

Family devotion time has been a variety as well including family devotional books, scripture, children's bibles when they were younger, etc. Right now we are reading in the epistles.

Edited by mom31257

We use HOD and there are daily Bible plans. The lessons are very short (usually discussing a verse or two). On the last day of the weekly unit, our history reading is replaced with a longer reading and we discuss it. There is lots of Christian content throughout the program as well and it usually ties into the weekly Bible memory verse somehow. We also have a weekly Bible devotion from a nice little book, Morning Bells. Later on, I believe HOD adds in a Bible quiet time they do on their own.

Outside of HOD, we use our church's Catechism and study 10 Commandments, Lord's Prayer, Apostle's Creed, Baptism, etc. I'd love to have a family devotion every evening with DH, but he's rarely around in the evenings...and when he is, he's so tired that I don't want to bring it up. :blush:

I always read the Bible to the children when they were little. I have had it read to them on tape and CD. I have always read the Word of God to my children. When they got to age 5 years, I put them in AWANA where they learned how to memorize scripture. AWANA became my Bible curriculum for my children. As time has gone by, my sons were learning Bible while learning history. When we did ancients, I read the Bible right along with their ancient readings.

Now that my older son has graduated from AWANA, he is reading the Bible on his own. He has the One Year Bible and he reads it daily. Since he is a teenager, I feel it is good spiritual exercise.

That's what I do and have done.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

When my oldest was 7 and we first started homeschooling, we didn't do much in the way of formal Bible study. We read Catherine Vos' The Child's Story Bible and, like you, applied our beliefs to what we discussed. This year we are using Our 24 Family Ways all together and it's wonderful. Oldest is now 14 and for the past few years has also had assigned Bible chapters to read on his own.

I try not to make Bible "class" painful. LOL. My disclaimer is that my degree is in theology so I may be a little anal retentive when it comes to my children having a solid understanding of doctrine.

We do have a lot of time through-out our day that sounds similar to yours. Our kids participate in Awanas, have family devotion time with Dad in the evenings, pray, etc. We also fully integrate church and Bible history into our history curriculum, so they get a lot of the chronological narrative there.

Bible class for us is different than a devotional or Bible memory time. It is building Biblical literacy and more than the narrative passages (Bible stories). There is a whole chunk of the Bible that gets missed when one focuses on Sunday School coverage, Awana memory, and Bible stories.

Bible class is where we

1. Fill in the gaps of prophetic and poetical literature, and where we read through an entire epistle rather than just picking out a few verses to memorize for Awanas.

2. It has always provided our family with wonderful openers for discussions that I don't think would come up otherwise. I don't want my children to be 30+ years old and saying, "Well, that is what my pastor says about..." I want them to know because they've wrestled with the issue and dug into the Scriptures themselves. I want them to feel free to question. My daughter is almost 12yo and reaching the point where she wants to know more than the facts. She wants to know why and she needs to be able to have those questions answered in a one-on-one fashion. Bible class just gives us one more chance for the question to even come up.

3. It is where my children learn doctrine. Our church doesn't catechize kids and doesn't teach anything but Bible stories and personal application to children (unless you count Awana club).

4. It is where my children learn what Mom and Dad use for the source of truth when we don't know the answer. And they learn that the Bible is important to us. Bible class is a priority every day. They learn that the Bible is more important than any other subject and impacts every single subject (which explains why we prefer to use all Bible-based academic materials).

5. It teaches them how to really study the Bible on their own. Bible isn't left to church-related events or family devotions. Everyone needs to learn how to really study the Bible correctly and not just go digging for a promise in a time of difficulty.

Which probably clues you into the fact that I like to use line-by-line inductive type curricula such as The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study by Starr Meade or doctrinally specific materials such as Teaching Hearts, Teaching Minds also by Starr Meade. BUT it is just as simple and easy to pick up a good Bible with solid commentary and start reading. We bought four pew Bibles (so we'd literally all be on the same page) and we take turns reading the passage and then just discuss it.

Edited by Daisy

I started in Jan. reading Matt. to the kids. We are now on ch.12 so going very slow, 2-10 vs. a day. We have all enjoyed it as I read a section, we talk about it, they ask questions, I ask questions etc. I feel we have gained more from this any form any formal Bible Study/curr. we have tried. When we are finished with Matt. I plan on going on to Mark.

I'm considering trying the new curriculum from Peace Hill / Olive Branch - I'm going to browse Year 1 online and the samples of the AG and parent guide, but I like this approach, which Justin posted in the other thread. Our kids already know a lot of Bible stories from Sunday School and Awana, so making our focus on Jesus seems right (as well as the whole progression by age/maturity):

--------

We'll be putting more info on the OliveBranchBooks page soon, but:

the plan is laid out on pages 29-42 of the "overview" book "Telling God's Story: A Parents' Guide to Teaching the Bible."

Here is a VERY condensed summary, from the intro to one of Dr. Enns' workshops in which he lays out the steps:

"I suggest that the best place to start is not with Ă¢â‚¬Å“Bible storiesĂ¢â‚¬ (NoahĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s ark, David and Goliath), but rather with Jesus. Jesus is the center of the Christian faith and the proper place to start a childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Christian education. In grades 1-4, students should get to know him the way the first followers of Jesus did: through his teachings, healings, interactions with his opponents, death and resurrection, etc. In grades 5-8, young students should take a huge step back and focus on the big picture of IsraelĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Story, the Old Testament; this helps give a greater sense of how Jesus brings IsraelĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s story to its conclusion. In grades 9-12, students should focus on the historical setting of the Bible. The Bible was not written in a vacuum; knowing something about the cultures in which the Bible was written will help them develop a mature understanding."

This is one subject that we believe our children can not get enough of.

We all read our Bibles together in the morning and then share some 'gem' that we found. Then dh reads a specific portion to us.

They have been doing CLE Bible during afternoon quiet time and occationally do in depth character studies.

The older two are both working on reading through the Bible on their own.

DS10 listenes to Bible on CD when he goes to bed, because he likes it.

They both work on scripture memory with prayer groups in church.

The Bible is so rich. It can be studies in many different ways and the more you dig the richer it becomes!

"I suggest that the best place to start is not with Ă¢â‚¬Å“Bible storiesĂ¢â‚¬ (NoahĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s ark, David and Goliath), but rather with Jesus. Jesus is the center of the Christian faith and the proper place to start a childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Christian education. In grades 1-4, students should get to know him the way the first followers of Jesus did: through his teachings, healings, interactions with his opponents, death and resurrection, etc. In grades 5-8, young students should take a huge step back and focus on the big picture of IsraelĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Story, the Old Testament; this helps give a greater sense of how Jesus brings IsraelĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s story to its conclusion. In grades 9-12, students should focus on the historical setting of the Bible. The Bible was not written in a vacuum; knowing something about the cultures in which the Bible was written will help them develop a mature understanding."

I respectfully disagree with this. I think that kids should learn the Old Testament and the New together. Our church uses pericopes from both every Sunday--a reading from the Psalms, an old testament lesson, an epistle lesson, and a Gospel lesson. That's the way to achieve a balanced learning of Scripture, I believe.

Waiting until 5th grade to learn the OT means that the history of God's people is not learned in chronological order on any level, and that kids are only exposed to the background of Christianity after they are beyond the stage of being able to memorize easily--a big mistake!

I didn't vote--we fall somewhere between daily and weekly. I like having a great deal of variety in the Bible/devotional segment of homeschool. We do one lesson per week from Peter Enn's Telling God's Story and from Patricia St. John's A Young Person's Guide to Knowing God. Other days we read and discuss some verses from proverbs, or talk about the background/meaning of a hymn, or I'll explain something about a spiritual discipline (e.g., meditation, giving to the poor), or we'll have Q & A, or read church/Bible history (e.g., how the cannon was formed). Some days we skip! But we typically have devotions 2-4 days a week. My nine-year-old and six-year-old are encouraged to do personal devotions on their own as well . . . and we do family devotions in the evening sometimes (usually during Advent and Lent).

I respectfully disagree with this. I think that kids should learn the Old Testament and the New together. Our church uses pericopes from both every Sunday--a reading from the Psalms, an old testament lesson, an epistle lesson, and a Gospel lesson. That's the way to achieve a balanced learning of Scripture, I believe.

Waiting until 5th grade to learn the OT means that the history of God's people is not learned in chronological order on any level, and that kids are only exposed to the background of Christianity after they are beyond the stage of being able to memorize easily--a big mistake!

From what I have read that Dr. Enns has written, I think that one of the reasons that he starts with Jesus Christ's life and teachings is to avoid a strong pressure on a conversion decision in early years, included a lot about God's wrath and hell. He also is uncomfortable with the crucifixion being taught in its challenging, miserable detail. It would bother me, too, if kids were traumatized with a lot of horrors to 'scare them into faith'. However, I don't think that most kids take the OT that way. Just like spare, but really bad events in fairy tales, the descriptions of frightening events in the Bible are generally factual and lacking in details--certainly nothing that would make you picture things in detail. I would agree that an emphasis on details or pictures that go beyond the Bible could be pretty bad at an early age, but familiarizing kids with the facts before they know enough to understand the accompanying details seems like a good move to me. Also, as a Lutheran, we practice infant baptism, and believe as the historical Church always has that the Holy Spirit grants faith to babies through this means. So although it is equally important to pass on our faith, we don't have the panicky need to push toward a decision at an early age.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

We start each day (mostly) with bible by reading a chapter or a section of a chapter of the Children's Storybook Bible by Vos. This has been so great and refreshes me as well. My kids know this is the routine and I love that b/c I hope it continues as they get older and can choose to start their own days in God's word. The fear of the Lord is the beg. of all knowledge, so it is a good and important way to start the day. We also do a bible verse once/week or longer depending, and commit to memory. And then prayer. A Christian worldview is needed but the Word of God won't return void, and for my 3 and 7 yo the Children's Storybook Bible is a great place to start. That worldview is based in scripture, so bible is a great foundation. Also, if you have a Community Bible Study near you, we are blessed to have a great homeschool program that has a bible study for both me and an age-appropriate for my 7yo. Hope that helps...

I'm guessing that he is taking into account that children will get both in other contexts - e.g. Sunday School, Awana, family devotions - so this is a way to balance that out, as there has tended to be more of a heavy emphasis on "Bible stories" rather than the larger Bible story - the 5 act play - Enns refers to in the guide also. I like the emphasis on everything being parts of a greater whole, with Jesus the central figure.

So because up until this point, our kids have had a lot of OT stuff (from all of the above contexts, as well as books and videos, e.g. Veggietales), and less about the person and life of Jesus (though lots of the gospel "story"), the early church, etc., this perspective is refreshing to me, and I think will help prevent the disjointedness and risk of superficial spirituality that can come from memorizing all the stories and verses separate from one another.

Edited by Elle M.
addition